As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Elder Scrolls Online] Tamriel Unlimited now on XB1 and PS4

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Apparently I am just plain terrible at stealthing in this game. I decided to check out the dark brotherhood stuff last night, and sent my elf off to partake of murdery goodness. That first mission - wtf? I don't think I left anyone alive in the entire complex. I'm not even sure I could have. It felt very cheesy in places, made worse by the guards' ability to ring a little bell and materialize another guard out of thin air as soon as they spot you. It wasn't like playing an assassin at all, and it would have been quicker and more efficient to just go in "guns blazing" so to speak and rampage the place. To top it off, I ended up with a sizeable bounty to pay off at the end.

What can I do to improve my character's sneaking? It's not like I have a "sneak" skill I can improve/train like in previous TES games. Does armor weight matter in ESO? Should she be going barefoot?

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Pixelated Pixie I think you might have things in the Legerdemain skill tree that would help with sneak

3basnids3lf9.jpg

The only one there that I have available reduces the stamina cost by 10%.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    @Pixelated Pixie Yeah, I was wrong, it's actually a Medium Armor skill

Improved Sneak is a passive ability in the Medium Armor Skill line in Elder Scrolls Online. Each rank reduces cost of sneaking by a percentage and reduces the detection area by a percentage, for each piece of medium armor equipped.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Yeah. She's not high enough level for that one yet. And I'm not sure that the tiny bit of detection area reduction will make a difference, but maybe? I guess I can put DB stuff on hold. Sort of runs counter to the whole scaling/T1 thing.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited October 2016
    Yeah. She's not high enough level for that one yet. And I'm not sure that the tiny bit of detection area reduction will make a difference, but maybe? I guess I can put DB stuff on hold. Sort of runs counter to the whole scaling/T1 thing.

How about invisibility potions?

Armor weight matters, being in shadows matter, and being behind obstacles matter, based on what I'm reading about sneaking.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

So armor weight does matter. Okay, that will make a difference.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    So armor weight does matter. Okay, that will make a difference.

Actual footage of my Dragon Knight stealthing through a dungeon

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    This is going to sound super unhelpful, but (moreso than any previous ES game) sneaking in this game revolves almost entirely around your ability to simply stay out of the line of sight of NPCs, and out of detection range when you're in said sight. Just takes some practice, patience, and a little bit of trial and error.

I believe you can procure potions from the Theives' Guild that doubles your movement speed whilst sneaking, which helped me to no end.

President Evil on
    The problem with the line of sight thing is that NPCs have an amazing knack for doing an instant 180-degree turn for no apparent reason at the wrong time... every time. :lol:

I may have to look into the thieves guild potions (haven't joined the TG yet). I hadn't bothered with potions for much of anything because things like "invisibility for 3.9 seconds" seem completely pointless to me.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, what class is your character pixie? If you're a nightblade then the shadow cloak skill and its morphs are pretty much your go-to, especially when it comes to making it to the exit before the timer runs out.

If you're not a nightblade, the key thing to remember is that many of the patroller types (specifically the ones with the lanterns) have set patrol patterns. The key to really running a DB level well is planning your infiltration and exfiltration.

First, before you even enter the map proper, take a look at where your targets are on the map. If you aren't familiar with the map take some time to scout the map out properly and learn where the targets are and what the quickest route to the exit might be once you kill the main target. It's worth noting that there actually some nice little hidden short cuts, and some secret doors in places that don't necessarily show up on the map knowing where these are can sometimes provide you with a nice significantly less obstructed path to the exit.

Always begin with taking out the optional target first. The map's overseer timer doesn't actually start until you inhume the primary target. So take out the optional target first, and take your time getting into position to take out the primary target. It's worth noting that you don't get penalized for eliminating non-essential targets provided nobody sees you take them out - but they do respawn after a time, so its not a reliable way of keeping your path through the map clear.

edited October 2016
    I've only done the first DB mission (the "test" before you're even really a member). It was a pretty on-rails map, and zero opportunity to scout it out. If there were any shortcuts/secret paths, I never found them. No optional targets, no timers (fuck, there's timers?).

She's a stam dragonknight (dual wield).

When I did play a NB I was underwhelmed by shadow cloak. IIRC it was like 2.5 seconds of invisibility? Seemed useless except maybe to break away from an enemy and reposition.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Hey, I just got this game in the sale on Steam and I don't know anything about it.

I see from OP I should go Dominion if I want to play with PA which is great because I wanted to be cat man anyway.

I'm sure I'll be able to figure out a lot organically, but I don't want to make any major mistakes as I get started. What's the best PVE nightblade build? I've gone searching online but I don't know what's up to date and relevant.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Hey, I just got this game in the sale on Steam and I don't know anything about it.

I see from OP I should go Dominion if I want to play with PA which is great because I wanted to be cat man anyway.

I'm sure I'll be able to figure out a lot organically, but I don't want to make any major mistakes as I get started. What's the best PVE nightblade build? I've gone searching online but I don't know what's up to date and relevant.

With One Tamriel, that's not an issue anymore. Anyone can play with anyone.

Can't help with the nightblade though.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited October 2016
    Using Costume Dyes to look Dapper as Hell.

v2jk9z38ci9z.jpg

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited October 2016
    I've only done the first DB mission (the "test" before you're even really a member). It was a pretty on-rails map, and zero opportunity to scout it out. If there were any shortcuts/secret paths, I never found them. No optional targets, no timers (fuck, there's timers?).

She's a stam dragonknight (dual wield).

When I did play a NB I was underwhelmed by shadow cloak. IIRC it was like 2.5 seconds of invisibility? Seemed useless except maybe to break away from an enemy and reposition.

Oh...you're talking about the regular DB story missions. Apologies - I thought you were talking about the daily missions which have two targets, a primary and an optional target, once you execute the primary target you have a limited timer to escape to the exit otherwise you lose out on the bonus reward.

The shadowcloak default is useful in two ways. First, it's a guaranteed method to get right up behind the target with zero chance of detection no matter what your detection radius is like. The idea is you approach via stealth, then fire it off within the last few feet of the target so they don't do that sudden unexpected 180 degree turn or if they do, then you have time to reposition. One of its morphs also gives you a guarateed critical strike if you attack while the cloak is active. In timed scenarios, it's useful for just moving through a group of enemies blocking your path rather than having to wait for them to patrol out of your way. If you have yourself set up to reduce the cost of magicka-based abilities, you can also spam the crap out of it, for invisibility longer than 2.5 seconds.

There's actually quite a few ways to build a nightblade, it kind of depends on what sort of role you want to play in combat. If you're going for a dps type build with alot of critical strike, then you want to invest heavily in medium armor abilities and any NB abilities that boost your critical strike and critical damage rating. The trickier part will be deciding whether to invest heavily in magicka or stamina. Generally, abilities that utilize magicka do more damage based off how much you invest into your magicka pool, and conversely stamina abilities do more damage the more you invest into your stamina pool. Alot of nightblade skills have morphs that change which pool the ability scales off of, so you might want to experiment a bit and find what fits your personal playstyle.

If you're looking to do more of a tanking role, you'll want to use heavy armor and probably invest in a fair amount of shadow and siphoning abilities.

If you're looking to do more of a caster style build, you'll want to focus alot into siphoning and your magicka pool.

Operative21 on
    What the heck is a Wolf Trick Mirror? Can't seem to use it in any way. No googling helps. "Looking into the mirror shows you a vision of a wolf superimposed over your face. Treasure type: grooming items, games"

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    @UncleSporky did you steal it?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Yeah. What, sell to fence only?

I think so. I havent done much thieving but they have all sorts of kooky shit you can steal

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I think so. I havent done much thieving but they have all sorts of kooky shit you can steal

Yeah, Weird Shit loot like that doesn't do anything, just sell it to fences. I do enjoy reading the flavor text, though.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    so I ended up getting back into this. haven't played much today though.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited October 2016
    Do you guys ever get to the point where a couple thousand gold is just a drop in the bucket?

Because holy crap I could use a lot more bag space. :P

EDIT: Yeah #1 problem with this game that sucks all joy out of it, bag space. Can't stand it.

UncleSporky on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Do you guys ever get to the point where a couple thousand gold is just a drop in the bucket?

Because holy crap I could use a lot more bag space. :P

EDIT: Yeah #1 problem with this game that sucks all joy out of it, bag space. Can't stand it.

Get a horse and upgrade carrying capacity?

That gets you to 120. What sort of capacity do you need?

I dunno, I just started, I have 60 in the bank and now 70 personally and they are always all full. Ingredients, mats, items I want to research, stuff I have stolen and can't fence yet because I don't know how to get to cities with fences, etc.

@UncleSporky You can leaves mats in the bank and still use them while crafting.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Yeah I figured that out pretty quickly, it's a nice feature.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I dunno, I just started, I have 60 in the bank and now 70 personally and they are always all full. Ingredients, mats, items I want to research, stuff I have stolen and can't fence yet because I don't know how to get to cities with fences, etc.

Fences are in the big cities after the starter area. Which side did you choose?

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    A hint for sneaky missions:

use the armor set you can craft in the beginner areas, Night something something. I think that for the best faction it is Mesanthano's Tower or something similar.

It gives you the ability to run while stealthed. So good.

I really need to start playing this again, but I play BDO as my main MMO atm, then there's WoT, Wii U and all. Too many games to play...

Moridin889 wrote: »

Dominion.

But never mind, it doesn't matter anymore, they got me. I subbed for a month. Infinite collection bag took care of the problem immediately.

I dunno, if a lot of you have been playing the game for a long time, you might not realize how much a strain the bag space is on a new character now? I mean I'm not sure...I know for a fact they added new alchemy mats at least, from what I've seen online. Maybe cooking ingredients too? Were the cool stealing trinkets you find always in the game? Or pickpocketing? Because all of that adds up to full bags really quickly, at least for me.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I should get back into this. I finished up the Ebonheart Pact campaign a while back and want to go through the other two campaigns.

Now that everything scales to my level with One Tamriel, can I safely skip past a lot of the combat? I'd like to get through the other campaigns quicker than I did the first. If I can skip a lot of unnecessary fights (and resist looting everything) that'd be great.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Dominion.

But never mind, it doesn't matter anymore, they got me. I subbed for a month. Infinite collection bag took care of the problem immediately.

I dunno, if a lot of you have been playing the game for a long time, you might not realize how much a strain the bag space is on a new character now? I mean I'm not sure...I know for a fact they added new alchemy mats at least, from what I've seen online. Maybe cooking ingredients too? Were the cool stealing trinkets you find always in the game? Or pickpocketing? Because all of that adds up to full bags really quickly, at least for me.

No, actually, when you're playing for a long time, you've got crafting alts for all of the professions, and the amount of bag space you need just to store crafting mats and transfer gear between is ridiculous, let alone finding something you'd like to keep for an alt to use later.

They definitely added new alchemy mats, because they added the whole poison line of things. There are more cooking ingredients, because there are higher-level recipes.

Thieving wasn't in the game to start with, but it's been awhile since it was added.

The trick is to get a reliable fence and offload your stolen stuff, and also not to do too much thieving until you can find a fence.

And, yeah, one of the few real money things I've bought in this game is bag space. :D

So what, if anything, in the game has become useless or not-recommended with the advent of One Tamriel?

For example it was said above that anybody can play with anybody now. Does that make the Crown Adventurer Pack much less useful? Should I still consider getting that for the treasure maps?

It's also tough to google info for this game given how much has changed since it began. I was looking for some advice on whether to take the crafting hireling perks and found a bunch of people saying it was totally worth it, and then a bunch more saying it was nerfed to oblivion.

Werewolf/vamp crown purchases are pointless because you can just get a bite from a random person? Or do they offer something above and beyond just granting the skill line?

So far with trying to go stam nightblade I'm level 10 and have put every single attribute into stamina. Any reason not to? So far I'm not dying, but I dunno if I'll regret not investing in health later on.

I can bite one person (per week I think) to turn them into a werewolf.

As far as the adventure pack, I think that depends on whether you plan on doing PvP. PvE it doesn't make a difference, but if you want to fight for Aldmeri Dominion and be Argonian, you'd need that pack.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Ah ok, good to know. Are there any drawbacks to werewolf/vamp like in the actual Elder Scrolls games or is it essentially a questline and some skills?

Oh yeah, also - I saw people talking earlier about exploring multiple alliance questlines. Is there a mechanism to do that with one main character, or do you have to roll up an alt for that, or pay to do a race change or something? Can you eventually have all alliance stories/quests and even all classes mastered on the same main character?

Ah ok, good to know. Are there any drawbacks to werewolf/vamp like in the actual Elder Scrolls games or is it essentially a questline and some skills?

Oh yeah, also - I saw people talking earlier about exploring multiple alliance questlines. Is there a mechanism to do that with one main character, or do you have to roll up an alt for that, or pay to do a race change or something? Can you eventually have all alliance stories/quests and even all classes mastered on the same main character?

Before One Tamriel you would do your faction storyline and then you'd get pulled aside and told "You should really get to know who it is you're fighting" and then you'd be able to do the other faction quests. As it is now, all three starting cities are unlocked and you can just warp to them at will.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited October 2016

Werewolves get a vulnerability to poison damage, and vamps get a vulnerability to fire as well as a reduced rate of health recovery depending on what stage of vampirism they have. Other than that, they're a questline and skills.
    So far with trying to go stam nightblade I'm level 10 and have put every single attribute into stamina. Any reason not to? So far I'm not dying, but I dunno if I'll regret not investing in health later on.

It depends on how you play really. If you're focusing on purely PvE, and solo content then you should be fairly okay with going all-in on stamina. But you will have less off a buffer in taking hits from some of the heavier hitting enemies, or in surviving longer fights designed to wither you down like the Maelstrom arena. Also worth noting that you can add health (or stamina as well for that matter) via equipment enchanting and/or equipment set bonuses to help offset any deficiencies your character may have.
    For example it was said above that anybody can play with anybody now. Does that make the Crown Adventurer Pack much less useful? Should I still consider getting that for the treasure maps?

Honestly, I don't think the crown adventurer pack's worth it. You can get treasure map drops in-game, and they're not all that uncommon. The loot you get from the treasure chests is okay, but hardly game-changing and certainly not worth spending real money on. You'd be much better off spending the crowns on something more long term and universally useful like vault space, mount upgrades, or even crafting motifs if you're into crafting.

Operative21 on
    Honestly, I don't think the crown adventurer pack's worth it. You can get treasure map drops in-game, and they're not all that uncommon. The loot you get from the treasure chests is okay, but hardly game-changing and certainly not worth spending real money on. You'd be much better off spending the crowns on something more long term and universally useful like vault space, mount upgrades, or even crafting motifs if you're into crafting.

Yeah, one thing I've noticed in One Tamriel is that literally every new item I get is exactly my current level, so it doesn't seem possible for me to stumble across some amazing game-changing item out in some treasure trove.

When you talk about spending crowns on vault space...is that really a good use? It says that it will never exceed the amount you can get just by spending regular gold. Does it...essentially take the space upgrades off the top, so if my next upgrade is 4000 gold then it will still be that much after paying real money for an upgrade? Just saves me the 100,000 gold for the last upgrade or whatever?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    It's also tough to google info for this game given how much has changed since it began. I was looking for some advice on whether to take the crafting hireling perks and found a bunch of people saying it was totally worth it, and then a bunch more saying it was nerfed to oblivion.

Hireling perks are absolutely worth it, for at least the first two points.

The third point is ... very, very debatable. It ups the refresh frequency from 24 hours to 12 hours, but how often are you really going to be logging into the game 2x on the same day exactly 12 hours apart? You almost never get the full benefit of the skill point, and so really what you're buying is the chance for better rolls on the random stuff you get sent.

I would definitely put some into Health, just so that when you run into some hard-than-normal boss types, you have a chance to react before you get squished. Stam nightblades have lots and lots of fun health regen abilities, but that doesn't help you much against burst damage.

I signed up on the guild registration form in the OP. @unclesporky, character Khopi.

This discussion has been closed.