Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Castle Bravo, a [chat]

24567100

Posts

  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

    I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

    I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

    That sounds really displeasureable to be around, if I am being honest.

    If someone asked if I quoted something, I would tell them. But people are under no obligation to force that fact into a conversation.

    I mean, sure. no one is obligated to do anything.

    but I mean first of all, if it was apparent that it's the exact same concept as someone else? I'd assume it was a 'reference' anyway and go "oh that's blahblah! nice!"

    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Wrestling4.png?dl=0
    kedinik
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Hey, how did the Soviets steal the bomb from the US again? Walk out the front door with a folder labeled TOP SECRET?

    More or less.

    Well, no, they didn't directly steal it from the US, not all of it anyway. They had had a nuclear programme going as well, and they did make a very concerted effort to snatch as much of the remnants of the german nuclear programme as possible which helped

    all the spying helped, but not terribly much - it was more "ahah so we are on the right track here" than "HOW TO A-BOMB"

    the US simply didn't have that great of a lead

    ftOqU21.png
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    i usually jack people's impressions cuz i don't give one whit

    i've been doing nick kroll's sly stallone for like 2 weeks cuz i love it

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    Dark Raven X
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Like

    You're a widely renowned specialist.

    You should maybe just go in to teaching or sumtin

  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    i don't even remember anything that he does other than saying "he's a great guy" a lot

    im not great at impressions so

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

    I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

    I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

    I might be like you, except there's never a need because most of my friends will ask, "Where is that from" and/or the teller will say "oh you just reminded me of a bit by [name]" when they're about to launch into some quote.

    Dark Raven X
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    hmm maybe i will play a multiplayer fps

    murika?

    But which one?

    i dunno

    on my computer i have:

    battlefield 4
    left for dead 2
    payday 2
    borderlands 2

    hmm

  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

    I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

    I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

    I might be like you, except there's never a need because most of my friends will ask, "Where is that from" and/or the teller will say "oh you just reminded me of a bit by [name]" when they're about to launch into some quote.

    this is generally how it works for me too.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Wrestling4.png?dl=0
  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Variable wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

    I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

    I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

    That sounds really displeasureable to be around, if I am being honest.

    If someone asked if I quoted something, I would tell them. But people are under no obligation to force that fact into a conversation.

    I mean, sure. no one is obligated to do anything.

    but I mean first of all, if it was apparent that it's the exact same concept as someone else? I'd assume it was a 'reference' anyway and go "oh that's blahblah! nice!"

    Yeah, either it's a reference where part of the fun is that other people recognize the joke or else the person would have been oddly trying to pass off a polished stand-up joke as their own.

    So either way it generally makes sense to mention it.

    kedinik on
    Tav
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    hmm maybe i will play a multiplayer fps

    murika?

    But which one?

    i dunno

    on my computer i have:

    battlefield 4
    left for dead 2
    payday 2
    borderlands 2

    hmm

    :( I need a better PC

    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I very often mention that a joke or an observation I am saying came from people on the internet, for example, when referring to things from here

    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Wrestling4.png?dl=0
  • TehSlothTehSloth mr steal yo lunch Registered User regular
    alright, snagged new d3 expansion, gonna see how this goes -- streamin' yo

    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • simonwolfsimonwolf thought that love was science fiction until I saw you todayRegistered User regular
    in soviet union, joke steal you

    original quip do not copy or reproduce

    kedinik
  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

    I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

    I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

    I might be like you, except there's never a need because most of my friends will ask, "Where is that from" and/or the teller will say "oh you just reminded me of a bit by [name]" when they're about to launch into some quote.

    this is generally how it works for me too.

    Oh, I gotcha, yeah.

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

    I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

    I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

    That sounds really displeasureable to be around, if I am being honest.

    If someone asked if I quoted something, I would tell them. But people are under no obligation to force that fact into a conversation.

    I mean, sure. no one is obligated to do anything.

    but I mean first of all, if it was apparent that it's the exact same concept as someone else? I'd assume it was a 'reference' anyway and go "oh that's blahblah! nice!"

    and that's nice

    do that "heh, [comedian]" to the guy speaking and he's like "yeah" and then he goes on is always a neat little moment

    but that's not what you said first! You said that he has to deliver the line and then say where it came from even if it ruins the flow which sounds dumb and displeasurable and just intentionally wanting to make the conversation a little less good?

    I mean also on top of that you don't get to say you recognize it if he says who it is

    it's a nice moment when somebody is like heh yeah I know this one or even like heh yeah I know what website this is from and i'm like oh cool in my head

    but if I was gonna go like "this was from dostojevski btw" I am gonna sound like a twat at worst and a bore at best

    ftOqU21.png
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    I often suggest to people that as they live their lives it's best to forgive the occasional sinner and wink at a homely girl.

    And I make sure they know who I'm quoting.

    That journalist from The Wire.

    Cinders
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    i usually jack people's impressions cuz i don't give one whit

    i've been doing nick kroll's sly stallone for like 2 weeks cuz i love it

    endlessly say so many of his 'catchphrases' from lots of characters

    I trust you implishitly

    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Wrestling4.png?dl=0
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    hmm maybe i will play a multiplayer fps

    murika?

    But which one?

    i dunno

    on my computer i have:

    battlefield 4
    left for dead 2
    payday 2
    borderlands 2

    hmm

    :( I need a better PC

    i am almost squandering mine by bein gso bad at with mouse and keyboard still

    i don't play many vidya these days so it's taking me a while to feel comfortable with something other than controller since that's where i spent most of my life

  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    i usually jack people's impressions cuz i don't give one whit

    i've been doing nick kroll's sly stallone for like 2 weeks cuz i love it

    endlessly say so many of his 'catchphrases' from lots of characters

    I trust you implishitly

    blat blat blat

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    i watched nick kroll the other night- on conan i think- doing his character 'aggressive eater having a serious conversation from a 70s scorsese movie'

    cracked me the fuck up

    dude is funny

  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    or literally any of the rich dicks mispronunciations

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    Variable
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

    I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

    I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

    That sounds really displeasureable to be around, if I am being honest.

    If someone asked if I quoted something, I would tell them. But people are under no obligation to force that fact into a conversation.

    I mean, sure. no one is obligated to do anything.

    but I mean first of all, if it was apparent that it's the exact same concept as someone else? I'd assume it was a 'reference' anyway and go "oh that's blahblah! nice!"

    and that's nice

    do that "heh, [comedian]" to the guy speaking and he's like "yeah" and then he goes on is always a neat little moment

    but that's not what you said first! You said that he has to deliver the line and then say where it came from even if it ruins the flow which sounds dumb and displeasurable and just intentionally wanting to make the conversation a little less good?

    I mean also on top of that you don't get to say you recognize it if he says who it is

    it's a nice moment when somebody is like heh yeah I know this one or even like heh yeah I know what website this is from and i'm like oh cool in my head

    but if I was gonna go like "this was from dostojevski btw" I am gonna sound like a twat at worst and a bore at best

    well I don't care if it ruins the flow, but I also said you can say where it came from after! even after everyone laughs. you need not ruin the flow, but I also think that's secondary to not acting like you came up with something you didn't.

    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Wrestling4.png?dl=0
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Eastern coastal temptressRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    So, the idea that a regular person repeating, reusing or otherwise appropriating a joke is somehow wrong and that accreditation is a moral responsibility? It's wrong.

    There is no such moral imperative. It's not how comedy or communication works. And jokes aren't things to be protected, they are things to be told.

    Noooooooooope.

    edit: To actually address your point. You're in academia, right? How would you feel if someone used your work in an academic paper without citing it? How would you feel about using someone else's work without citing it?

    This is kind of different though?

    Like I don't think many academics care if some person on the street is telling their friend some crazy thing without citing it. Passing it off professionally is a different thing, but we're not talking about comedians getting paid to go on stage and using others' jokes, which would be a more analogous analogy.

    CindersQuidHappylilElfApothe0sisjakobagger
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

    I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

    I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

    That sounds really displeasureable to be around, if I am being honest.

    If someone asked if I quoted something, I would tell them. But people are under no obligation to force that fact into a conversation.

    I mean, sure. no one is obligated to do anything.

    but I mean first of all, if it was apparent that it's the exact same concept as someone else? I'd assume it was a 'reference' anyway and go "oh that's blahblah! nice!"

    and that's nice

    do that "heh, [comedian]" to the guy speaking and he's like "yeah" and then he goes on is always a neat little moment

    but that's not what you said first! You said that he has to deliver the line and then say where it came from even if it ruins the flow which sounds dumb and displeasurable and just intentionally wanting to make the conversation a little less good?

    I mean also on top of that you don't get to say you recognize it if he says who it is

    it's a nice moment when somebody is like heh yeah I know this one or even like heh yeah I know what website this is from and i'm like oh cool in my head

    but if I was gonna go like "this was from dostojevski btw" I am gonna sound like a twat at worst and a bore at best

    well I don't care if it ruins the flow, but I also said you can say where it came from after! even after everyone laughs. you need not ruin the flow, but I also think that's secondary to not acting like you came up with something you didn't.

    it's this part that is odd to me

    if you're having a conversation with someone and they say something that makes you laugh- is your natural assumption, if they don't credit it, that they are claiming authorship?

    that is i think the crux of this disagreement

  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Eastern coastal temptressRegistered User regular
    BUT also my academic field is wildly different, and I'm entirely insulated because no one even knows anything about what I do, for several steps.

  • TavTav Registered User regular
    35PS1Af.jpg

    wandering
  • simonwolfsimonwolf thought that love was science fiction until I saw you todayRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    So, the idea that a regular person repeating, reusing or otherwise appropriating a joke is somehow wrong and that accreditation is a moral responsibility? It's wrong.

    There is no such moral imperative. It's not how comedy or communication works. And jokes aren't things to be protected, they are things to be told.

    Noooooooooope.

    edit: To actually address your point. You're in academia, right? How would you feel if someone used your work in an academic paper without citing it? How would you feel about using someone else's work without citing it?

    This is kind of different though?

    Like I don't think many academics care if some person on the street is telling their friend some crazy thing without citing it. Passing it off professionally is a different thing, but we're not talking about comedians getting paid to go on stage and using others' jokes, which would be a more analogous analogy.

    yes this

  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    So, the idea that a regular person repeating, reusing or otherwise appropriating a joke is somehow wrong and that accreditation is a moral responsibility? It's wrong.

    There is no such moral imperative. It's not how comedy or communication works. And jokes aren't things to be protected, they are things to be told.

    Noooooooooope.

    edit: To actually address your point. You're in academia, right? How would you feel if someone used your work in an academic paper without citing it? How would you feel about using someone else's work without citing it?

    This is kind of different though?

    Like I don't think many academics care if some person on the street is telling their friend some crazy thing without citing it. Passing it off professionally is a different thing, but we're not talking about comedians getting paid to go on stage and using others' jokes, which would be a more analogous analogy.

    I totally use info from academic papers in a discussion without citing them.

    Your move, Academia.

  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

    I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

    I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

    That sounds really displeasureable to be around, if I am being honest.

    If someone asked if I quoted something, I would tell them. But people are under no obligation to force that fact into a conversation.

    I mean, sure. no one is obligated to do anything.

    but I mean first of all, if it was apparent that it's the exact same concept as someone else? I'd assume it was a 'reference' anyway and go "oh that's blahblah! nice!"

    and that's nice

    do that "heh, [comedian]" to the guy speaking and he's like "yeah" and then he goes on is always a neat little moment

    but that's not what you said first! You said that he has to deliver the line and then say where it came from even if it ruins the flow which sounds dumb and displeasurable and just intentionally wanting to make the conversation a little less good?

    I mean also on top of that you don't get to say you recognize it if he says who it is

    it's a nice moment when somebody is like heh yeah I know this one or even like heh yeah I know what website this is from and i'm like oh cool in my head

    but if I was gonna go like "this was from dostojevski btw" I am gonna sound like a twat at worst and a bore at best

    well I don't care if it ruins the flow, but I also said you can say where it came from after! even after everyone laughs. you need not ruin the flow, but I also think that's secondary to not acting like you came up with something you didn't.

    it's this part that is odd to me

    if you're having a conversation with someone and they say something that makes you laugh- is your natural assumption, if they don't credit it, that they are claiming authorship?

    that is i think the crux of this disagreement

    if there is nothing stating otherwise I assume the person came up with what they are saying to me

    there's a loooooooooong tradition of things as simple as "ever hear the one about the _____"

    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Wrestling4.png?dl=0
    Tav
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Variable wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

    I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

    I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

    That sounds really displeasureable to be around, if I am being honest.

    If someone asked if I quoted something, I would tell them. But people are under no obligation to force that fact into a conversation.

    I mean, sure. no one is obligated to do anything.

    but I mean first of all, if it was apparent that it's the exact same concept as someone else? I'd assume it was a 'reference' anyway and go "oh that's blahblah! nice!"

    and that's nice

    do that "heh, [comedian]" to the guy speaking and he's like "yeah" and then he goes on is always a neat little moment

    but that's not what you said first! You said that he has to deliver the line and then say where it came from even if it ruins the flow which sounds dumb and displeasurable and just intentionally wanting to make the conversation a little less good?

    I mean also on top of that you don't get to say you recognize it if he says who it is

    it's a nice moment when somebody is like heh yeah I know this one or even like heh yeah I know what website this is from and i'm like oh cool in my head

    but if I was gonna go like "this was from dostojevski btw" I am gonna sound like a twat at worst and a bore at best

    well I don't care if it ruins the flow, but I also said you can say where it came from after! even after everyone laughs. you need not ruin the flow, but I also think that's secondary to not acting like you came up with something you didn't.

    I'm not gonna say where it came from unless anyone has a reason to care

    and nobody ever has a reason to believe I am trying to act like I came up with it

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    When I started doing comedy – back in 1988 – I did a joke one night, at an unpaid open mike, that killed. It killed. I wasn’t used to having anything in my set, in those first few months of shows, get any response from an audience other than a hard blink and an impatient sigh.

    There’s a dopamine rush, for a comedian, when you cobble a thought out of thin air, when you arrange words not as a sentence but suddenly, as a joke. A for-real, plucked-from-your-skull joke. Something you created which, when you reach the part you want the audience to laugh at? And then…holy shit! They actually laugh? That’s the spike in the vein that sets the compass for your life.

    Well, I’d gotten a taste. I wanted more.

    The only problem was, it wasn’t my joke.

    In those early days, not only did I perform as many sets as I could get, I watched as much comedy as I could find. The same way a writer has to both write, but also read. Huge bites of both, if they want to hone their voice. I’m sure this is the same in any creative field.

    There was a lot of comedy to watch in the late 80’s. Too much, really. Endless cable shows, microphones in front of brick walls, geometric backgrounds, bland curtains. But for me, a suburban kid who had limited access to the city and thus limited access to other comedians to watch and learn from? The Basic Cable Jester Parade was boot camp, college and conservatory, all at the same time.

    And, in watching the endless procession of amazing comedians on TV at that time, as well as working a day job and going out at night to do sets, I lived on three hours sleep a day – about eighteen hours, total, per week. And you combine that sleep deprivation with my consuming ambition, plus the fact that the few waking hours I had at home were spent chomping down all of the televised stand-up I could hunt down?

    Well, I stole a joke. Not consciously. I heard something I found hilarious, mis-remembered it as an inspiration of my own, and then said it onstage. And got big laughs.

    Here it is: “Whenever I’m sitting on a bus, and someone asks me if the seat next to me is free, I have an answer that guarantees no one will want that seat. I look up and smile and say, ‘No one but…The Lord.”

    Huge laugh on that one. Pow! Bigger than anything else in my set at the time, that’s for sure.

    I came off stage and Blaine Capatch, a comedian friend of mine who’s a never-miss machine gun in terms of quantity and quality when it comes to jokes, took me aside and said, “That’s a Carol Leifer joke, man.”

    It hit me just as soon as he’d said it. He was right. It was a Carol Leifer joke. Pretty much word-for-word. I’d seen her do it on A&E’s Evening at the Improv one night and then, during a Diet Coke and Cup o’ Noodles lunch at the law firm I was clerking at, I jotted it down in my notebook as if I’d written it. And then went up onstage and killed with it. At two in the morning, for probably 17 people and no money. But what the fuck did I care at that point? All I was chasing, as an open miker, was the rush – and, I was hoping, paid work. Regularly killing during my sets would lead to that work, wouldn’t it?

    In the exact moment after I’d realized that what Blaine said was true, that I’d cribbed a laugh from someone else’s creativity and inspiration, my ego kicked in. And, I mean, my real ego. Not ego’s sociopathic cousin, hubris, which would have made me defensive, aggressive and ultimately rationalize the theft. No, the good kind of ego, the kind that wanted success and fame and praise on my own merits, no matter how long it took.

    I said, “Oh shit, you’re right. I didn’t even realize I was doing that. Goddamit…”

    “Eh. You do it all the time when you’re starting out. Everyone does. You can’t avoid it. Just don’t make it a habit,” said Blaine, and headed back into the showroom to watch someone destroy, probably, with a rap song about farting. It was the 80’s.

    21stCentury
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

    I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

    I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

    That sounds really displeasureable to be around, if I am being honest.

    If someone asked if I quoted something, I would tell them. But people are under no obligation to force that fact into a conversation.

    I mean, sure. no one is obligated to do anything.

    but I mean first of all, if it was apparent that it's the exact same concept as someone else? I'd assume it was a 'reference' anyway and go "oh that's blahblah! nice!"

    and that's nice

    do that "heh, [comedian]" to the guy speaking and he's like "yeah" and then he goes on is always a neat little moment

    but that's not what you said first! You said that he has to deliver the line and then say where it came from even if it ruins the flow which sounds dumb and displeasurable and just intentionally wanting to make the conversation a little less good?

    I mean also on top of that you don't get to say you recognize it if he says who it is

    it's a nice moment when somebody is like heh yeah I know this one or even like heh yeah I know what website this is from and i'm like oh cool in my head

    but if I was gonna go like "this was from dostojevski btw" I am gonna sound like a twat at worst and a bore at best

    well I don't care if it ruins the flow, but I also said you can say where it came from after! even after everyone laughs. you need not ruin the flow, but I also think that's secondary to not acting like you came up with something you didn't.

    it's this part that is odd to me

    if you're having a conversation with someone and they say something that makes you laugh- is your natural assumption, if they don't credit it, that they are claiming authorship?

    that is i think the crux of this disagreement

    if there is nothing stating otherwise I assume the person came up with what they are saying to me

    there's a loooooooooong tradition of things as simple as "ever hear the one about the _____"

    huh; that is interesting

    that is definitely not my natural presumption

    i only assume they came up with it if it's extremely specific to a situation and given in that sort of reflexive, off-the-top-of-my-head tone

    otherwise, i don't really know or think about whether they heard it elsewhere

    InquisitorApothe0sis
  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    So, the idea that a regular person repeating, reusing or otherwise appropriating a joke is somehow wrong and that accreditation is a moral responsibility? It's wrong.

    There is no such moral imperative. It's not how comedy or communication works. And jokes aren't things to be protected, they are things to be told.

    Noooooooooope.

    edit: To actually address your point. You're in academia, right? How would you feel if someone used your work in an academic paper without citing it? How would you feel about using someone else's work without citing it?

    This is kind of different though?

    Like I don't think many academics care if some person on the street is telling their friend some crazy thing without citing it. Passing it off professionally is a different thing, but we're not talking about comedians getting paid to go on stage and using others' jokes, which would be a more analogous analogy.

    Part of the distinction comes from how broadly and clearly academic work gets attributed to the author on the front end, though.

    Scientists have little reason to mind because to the extent that a broader sweep of society cares about a scientist's work, it's hard for that to do anything but strengthen that scientist's job security during tenure negotiations, salary renegotiations, etc.

    It's the opposite with most comics.

    kedinik on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    So, the idea that a regular person repeating, reusing or otherwise appropriating a joke is somehow wrong and that accreditation is a moral responsibility? It's wrong.

    There is no such moral imperative. It's not how comedy or communication works. And jokes aren't things to be protected, they are things to be told.

    Noooooooooope.

    edit: To actually address your point. You're in academia, right? How would you feel if someone used your work in an academic paper without citing it? How would you feel about using someone else's work without citing it?
    A regular person?

    I would care not one whit. In fact, I would encourage it.

    An academic? I would care because of how the world of academia works, and how citation affects career advancement.

    So there's that.

    As a principle I look forward to the glorious future in which information of all kinds is freed from any petty legal notion of ownership, which would include any field in which I am involved.

    Lastly, I don't think there's a direct analogy to professional comedy from academia anyway, partly because I am sceptical of the probative value of analogies in general, partly because from what I understand the way that comedy works as an industry is rather different to that of academia.

    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
    Es-annon NEVA 4GET
    Shivahn
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I'm not gonna say where it came from unless anyone has a reason to care

    and nobody ever has a reason to believe I am trying to act like I came up with it

    you saying something doesn't imply it's coming from your brain?

    I get that we are informed from a ton of different places and certainly you can't follow exactly where each thought comes from enough to map it out for people. and that's not what I'm saying.

    but when you're using someone else's exact joke to make people laugh...

    maybe this is why I'm terrible at talking to people

    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Sig%20-%20Wrestling4.png?dl=0
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Eastern coastal temptressRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    So, the idea that a regular person repeating, reusing or otherwise appropriating a joke is somehow wrong and that accreditation is a moral responsibility? It's wrong.

    There is no such moral imperative. It's not how comedy or communication works. And jokes aren't things to be protected, they are things to be told.

    Noooooooooope.

    edit: To actually address your point. You're in academia, right? How would you feel if someone used your work in an academic paper without citing it? How would you feel about using someone else's work without citing it?

    This is kind of different though?

    Like I don't think many academics care if some person on the street is telling their friend some crazy thing without citing it. Passing it off professionally is a different thing, but we're not talking about comedians getting paid to go on stage and using others' jokes, which would be a more analogous analogy.

    I totally use info from academic papers in a discussion without citing them.

    Your move, Academia.

    You should go a step beyond and claim they're yours.

    "Yeah in 1977 I discovered that high-density lipoproteins are protective against heart disease, whatevs."

    CindersHappylilElfQuidApothe0sis
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    Then it is agreed. The next person to post a .gif of a cat doing something hilarious without admitting they found it on reddit and just copied and pasted will be stoned to death by the rest of [chat].
    Starting...
    shower-cat.gif

    now.

    Apothe0sis
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    This LoL game is a really embarrassing

    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone tells a joke and I heard it elsewhere I will say so

    I don't care if it ruins the flow... deliver the line and then say where it came from

    I find it kind of gross to do otherwise. likewise if you were quoting a book and didn't admit it, etc.

    That sounds really displeasureable to be around, if I am being honest.

    If someone asked if I quoted something, I would tell them. But people are under no obligation to force that fact into a conversation.

    I mean, sure. no one is obligated to do anything.

    but I mean first of all, if it was apparent that it's the exact same concept as someone else? I'd assume it was a 'reference' anyway and go "oh that's blahblah! nice!"

    and that's nice

    do that "heh, [comedian]" to the guy speaking and he's like "yeah" and then he goes on is always a neat little moment

    but that's not what you said first! You said that he has to deliver the line and then say where it came from even if it ruins the flow which sounds dumb and displeasurable and just intentionally wanting to make the conversation a little less good?

    I mean also on top of that you don't get to say you recognize it if he says who it is

    it's a nice moment when somebody is like heh yeah I know this one or even like heh yeah I know what website this is from and i'm like oh cool in my head

    but if I was gonna go like "this was from dostojevski btw" I am gonna sound like a twat at worst and a bore at best

    well I don't care if it ruins the flow, but I also said you can say where it came from after! even after everyone laughs. you need not ruin the flow, but I also think that's secondary to not acting like you came up with something you didn't.

    it's this part that is odd to me

    if you're having a conversation with someone and they say something that makes you laugh- is your natural assumption, if they don't credit it, that they are claiming authorship?

    that is i think the crux of this disagreement

    if there is nothing stating otherwise I assume the person came up with what they are saying to me

    there's a loooooooooong tradition of things as simple as "ever hear the one about the _____"

    I wanna be rude and say that you're kinda stupid if you can't figure it out without that

    but maybe I dunno, a minor cultural thing

    it's like, I don't have to say, here's a joke, to make it apparent that I am telling a joke

    ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.