As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castle Bravo, a [chat]

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    there are specific bits and 'ideas' that i think are very obviously kind of individualized. like if you told louis ck's bit about "imagine your dead grandmom being the cadaver the medical student gets an F on". that is so niche and such a 'realized' joke that i would probably think less of someone who said it, if they didn't attribute it.

I dunno, I can totally see someone noticing an opportunity to either make this joke or a similar one, without them being consciously aware of where it came from. Like one elephant in the room is that people steal creative stuff all the time without being conscious of them doing it - if you stumble across something someone said that's similar to something you've said later, there's a good chance you actually stumbled across that first and lost the knowledge that you knew it.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i always like it when people from both sides of a discussion agree with my post

that's how i know i'm winning

or that you have conviction like america has good healthcare, and you're a spineless, fence straddling empty suit- an ideologue without any thoughts worthy of an impassioned defense.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I woke up this morning confused as to why I hurt

then I remembered hiking in Red River Gorge and the ensuing pullup contest with the kids who ended up being pretty serious climbers

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

I go for the opposite effect. If I can get both sides of a debate to hate me, I have won

well we all have to box in our weight class, ludious

not everyone can be a towering intellectual presence like me

i don't blame them

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    there are specific bits and 'ideas' that i think are very obviously kind of individualized. like if you told louis ck's bit about "imagine your dead grandmom being the cadaver the medical student gets an F on". that is so niche and such a 'realized' joke that i would probably think less of someone who said it, if they didn't attribute it.

I dunno, I can totally see someone noticing an opportunity to either make this joke or a similar one, without them being consciously aware of where it came from. Like one elephant in the room is that people steal creative stuff all the time without being conscious of them doing it - if you stumble across something someone said that's similar to something you've said later, there's a good chance you actually stumbled across that first and lost the knowledge that you knew it.

like that time I discovered a polio vaccine and they kicked me out of the CDC for being "crazy"

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    talk about the important things in life like jokes

instead of politics again

I met a much disliked politician at a student thing

we talked about comedy for about 5 minutes while students in various different political parties shouted abuse at him

i think that solidified me taking comedy more seriously than i ever will politics

you know the rule about not discussing politics or religion?

I think that rule is there because have more important things to talk about

ftOqU21.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    English this year at my school is supposed to be conversation focused.

So my warm ups need to be conversation focused.

Having a hard time thinking of ways to make people who don't want to have conversations have conversations.

Mad libs. If artists have most of their creative blocks by having too many options, limit freedom by having your students pull nouns and verbs out of a hat and having a nonsense conversation. An ice breaker.

... this might be terrible advice for an ESL class.

See the problem is giving them incentive to do anything in the first place.

My students do not want to learn English, they are being made to learn English, this is not a voluntary thing on their part.

So, usually my warm ups are very much games, with winning and losing, and with winners getting a reward (stickers for the lower grads, stamps on a stamp card that when completed earns them a CD of English songs). They want to win for the rewards, they need to learn English to win.

I am having a hard time figuring out good incentives for conversations.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »

like that time I discovered a polio vaccine and they kicked me out of the CDC for being "crazy"

To be fair, you just kicked down the door and ran in with a syringe screaming "IT'S FOR THE CHILDRENS"

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

I go for the opposite effect. If I can get both sides of a debate to hate me, I have won

i don't blame them

your mom is a weight class

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I had just killed 5 slices of pizza as well, not that it mattered

spoiler alert: I did not place in the pullup contest

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »
    This conversation is interesting from an ideological point of view. Comedy as consumer good rather than as non-commodified aspect of oral culture.

Commodification. It's the craze that's sweeping the nation.

there are other types of value besides monetary

I value humor whether I pay for it or not

That's tremendously impressive of you, morally speaking.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Variable wrote: »
    new plan: shower now (soon) and do the homework tonight while watching Mad Men

alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright Ok now ladies?

HappylilElf on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    also whoo boy did this conversation open me up to scrutiny if I ever post videos of my standup here

:bz

Sorry Tav

Already putting plans in motion to gain access to them

Ludious how are your haxxoring skills?

as far as I know, there's only one video on the youtubes and it has my real name which I don't really wanna openly associate with the forums (although it's been posted before, I don't really want it linked with my comedy stuff if that makes sense)

I actually rather like the video that's up (what I need to work on is my confidence and body language, because I'm an awkward dumpy lookin' guy anyway)

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    talk about the important things in life like jokes

instead of politics again

I met a much disliked politician at a student thing

we talked about comedy for about 5 minutes while students in various different political parties shouted abuse at him

i think that solidified me taking comedy more seriously than i ever will politics

you know the rule about not discussing politics or religion?

I think that rule is there because have more important things to talk about

that might be a sufficient reason to have the rule but it is far from necessary

political and religious positions are deeply held and discussing them in a way that anyone involved cannot gracefully tap out and do something else is fucking odious

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

i don't blame them
    i believe you misspelled cowering ineffectual peasant

I can't haxx any gibsons but I'm a pretty damn good social engineer

Having a hard time thinking of ways to make people who don't want to have conversations have conversations.

Mad libs. If artists have most of their creative blocks by having too many options, limit freedom by having your students pull nouns and verbs out of a hat and having a nonsense conversation. An ice breaker.

My students do not want to learn English, they are being made to learn English, this is not a voluntary thing on their part.

So, usually my warm ups are very much games, with winning and losing, and with winners getting a reward (stickers for the lower grads, stamps on a stamp card that when completed earns them a CD of English songs). They want to win for the rewards, they need to learn English to win.

How about bluffing games? They're conversations. You could use Coup for that, no problems. Or Werewolf.

Also hidden information gap games, and question games (e.g. 20 Questions).

There's loads of options, although some of them may not involve what Japanese educators sometimes imagine 'conversation' to be (i.e. small talk).

edited March 2014

How about bluffing games? They're conversations. You could use Coup for that, no problems. Or Werewolf.

There's loads of options, although some of them may not involve what Japanese educators sometimes imagine 'conversation' to be (i.e. small talk).

Good ideas. Other trick is classes are 25-30 students, so, with a conversation focus it will be tricky to make sure they stay on task and don't just chat/play in Japanese, or do nothing at all.

Inquisitor on
    tumblr_n0x3o8mLUV1sr2mgno1_500.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    For anyone that wants to Diablo it up, I'm NovaC#1218

• msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    he accepted my fb friend request!

this makes me far more happy than it should.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ok you cover that end, lud

Chu is probably good enough at haxxoring from school that we'll get him set up with like 9 monitors and a case of redbull and just have him montage us a super virus worm

12.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    yay, i got a new tumblr follower.

I now have one follower!

9.jpg

ftOqU21.png

Good ideas. Other trick is classes are 25-30 students, so, with a conversation focus it will be tricky to make sure they stay on task and don't just chat/play in Japanese, or do nothing at all.

Two Rooms and a Boom? That's available as PnP. Topic maybe no good.

Werewolf?

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i have so much game anxiety now its tragic

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    what it is with giger and the back of heads

I never really liked it in the xenomorph design

it says modern art more than it says efficient predator

ftOqU21.png
    also the club the video was recorded in doesn't use a mic so i was very "WHAT DO I DO WITH MY HANDS" at points

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    12.jpg

Ah, yes, the Harkonnen's palace.

jyhjp58hcs23.jpg

Here's a piece of concept art i liked, a spice smuggler, it's supposed to be, i believe.

Chu is probably good enough at haxxoring from school that we'll get him set up with like 9 monitors and a case of redbull and just have him montage us a super virus worm

is this swordfish

i only hack while being blown by a swedish whore

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I hear the Japanese are really shy. You might do better to split your class into small intimate groups instead of having two students hold a conversation in front of the class.

tav i am watching your standup

Two Rooms and a Boom? That's available as PnP. Topic maybe no good.

Werewolf?

Warm ups are also only 15 minutes, and any game with complex or unusual rules will be hard because I can't explain them in Japanese and the teachers I team teach with won't be able to understand the instructions in English... My teacher with good English left this year.

I love the students but there are some aspects I am really not going to miss of this job.

tav i am watching your standup

cool

I hear the Japanese are really shy. You might do better to split your class into small intimate groups instead of having two students hold a conversation in front of the class.

Oh, I am definitely thinking groups. Two students having a conversation in front of the class would be useless as they probably would say nothing, or, if they did, the other students would not pay attention or not understand or both.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

is this swordfish

i only hack while being blown by a swedish whore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZUWgRVVPIE

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    tav your accent

if you were a pira bombmaker i would run away from my family to be with you until the sas busted in and killed us both

my american sensibilities can't resist

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I think I made a decent burger for dinner.
    One piece of toasted bread.
    Layer with a little bit of ketchup.
    Sprinkle diced, baked clove of garlic.
    Put one small burger patty near the left edge of the bread.
    Spread Thai chili paste on top of the patty.
    Layer another patty on top of that, but up against the right edge of the bread.
    Spread pesto over that.
    Put thin slices and/or crumbled bits of toscano everywhere.
    Sprinkle black pepper, red pepper, and salt everywhere.
    Second piece of toasted bread.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    also, that competition tries to sell you your whole set for use in your showreel

which is why the video is only like 2 and a half I think?

I think I did five and a half, but I prefer the idea of just recording the next time I'm back in that club since I'll be doing 10 anyway

This discussion has been closed.