As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Using win 7 repair disc without losing data?

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
edited April 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
My hdd crashed and am trying to use a win 7 repair disc. The goal is to not erase all my data. I saw the system recovery option page where you choose your keyboard. will this path of system recovery cause me to lose my data?

The hdd was running win 7 home premium 64 bit but my recovery disc is win 7 pro 32bit. is that a problem?

deathnote666 on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    What do you mean your hard drive crashed? A repair disc won't solve hardware problems. In any case, a repair install shouldn't wipe your data. See this site for more info. It probably also won't let you do with a 32 bit disc but then again I've never tried.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    Get a new drive, do a new windows install on it. Hook up your old drive and then use some recovery software to retrieve what you can. That is all that you can do unless you feel like spending money on recovering your shit from a company that does this sort of thing. It will cost you upwards of $1000 or more to do this, so unless that shit is priceless try to recover what you can and move on.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    And then get yourself an external drive for backing up your important data.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    The hard drive crashed when the laptop it was in was knocked off a table... Laptop was in hibernate and landed screen first and only the hdd was affected...

Was hoping to possibly repair a bad sector on it that was keeping it from booting. Getting a CRC error when plugged in a USB adaptor...

What recovery software would you guys recommend?

• ElQuackElQuack Registered User regular
    Looking into something bootable with ddrescue, like this: http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/

What I did in a similar situation was get a non-screwed hard disk of equal or greater size then booted the rescue disk and used ddrescue to copy the original disc, errors and all, to the new drive.
    The reason for that is that if the disk really is going out, trying to repair on the existing drive could just lead to more errors.

Ddrescue will copy everything that is readable on the disk then go back and retry the failing sectors. After that you still have to chkdsk the new drive since the data errors came over too.