As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Titanfall]

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    squall99x wrote: »
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    The first time you rodeo a Titan, you'll steal their battery; after that, you just start doing (significant) damage to the Titan. That said, unless you have the perk that makes you quiet when boarding an enemy Titan (if you've just started, you won't have it), then anything other than a fresh Titan will kill you with its electric smoke. Even then it's relatively rare you'll get away.
    Does the grenade in the battery slot really do that much damage? I've found that pulling the battery does a good deal of damage, but those grenades just kind of poke the Titan. It's more effective than standard fire, but less effective than anti-Titan weapons. I could be very wrong. It's so easy to get shot off a Titan in TF2 that I go for the battery and that's it. Sometimes I'll yank a battery, toss it in a friendly, then go right back for another battery.

Speaking of batteries, I switched to the extra battery boost last night, and man does that make you popular with your team. A couple of times, I jumped out of my titan, hit the boost, put it in a friendly, then jumped back in my titan. It helped keep the team up during some crazy fights. The longer this game is being played by the masses, the more considerate teammates have become with batteries. There are still selfish bastards, but it seems like more and more people are helping the team and not just themselves. I likes thats a lots.

I'm selfish I guess :? I took the battery boost so that when I call my Titan I can pop the battery right before I get in and give myself the overshield. I find it has helped with the survivability of the Titan quite a bit. I routinely keep one Titan for probably 1/2 - 2/3 the match now and poke, poke, poke with Ion's shoulder cannon.

Edit- Just wanted to ask, how often have you been successful delivering a battery? I find when I do try the other player keeps on trucking / I get killed on the way there and now the other team has a battery off of my boost.
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that not using your battery boost on others makes you selfish. If you see someone yank a battery out of a friendly and the friendly kills the pilot, then you go over and take the battery for yourself... I'd consider that selfish. Use your boost for whatever reason. I use it 90% for myself, but sometimes we're in a position where I can hop out, use the boost to give it to a friendly, then jump back in mine. Doesn't happen too often, but is awesome when it does.

Early on, it seemed like everyone ran away from you. Now that most seem familiar enough with the game, 3 out of 4 calls that I make end with a titan turning around and running back to me so I can give it to them.

Yeah, I was running around as a pilot the other day and was trying to get a battery for a team mate, he jumped out but I got the battery before him and he hopped back in his Titan and ran off as I was desperately trying to install it. I kept thinking that I bet he was pissed at me even though I was trying to help him out.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    I find that the modes require a little more thought as to doing successfully in them than is immediately apparent. There is a strategy to Attrition more than just kill everything. There is definitely more strategy in Bounty Hunt in order to maximize your scoring potential etc. I feel like map knowledge is paramount so you know where to expect that guy to be shooting you from so that he doesn't shoot you from a mile away before you know he is there.

The moment I went from "Ten pilot slots? What the hell do I need those for!?" to "Ten pilot slots is not nearly enough; I wish I could have thirty" was the moment I really think I "got" per-map, per-mode strategy in Titanfall 2.

I have two pilots... both use a Hemlok and Charge Rifle with the same boosts. One uses Dash and the other uses Cloak.

I'm still working on the basics :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    I find that the modes require a little more thought as to doing successfully in them than is immediately apparent. There is a strategy to Attrition more than just kill everything. There is definitely more strategy in Bounty Hunt in order to maximize your scoring potential etc. I feel like map knowledge is paramount so you know where to expect that guy to be shooting you from so that he doesn't shoot you from a mile away before you know he is there.

The moment I went from "Ten pilot slots? What the hell do I need those for!?" to "Ten pilot slots is not nearly enough; I wish I could have thirty" was the moment I really think I "got" per-map, per-mode strategy in Titanfall 2.

I have two pilots... both use a Hemlok and Charge Rifle with the same boosts. One uses Dash and the other uses Cloak.

I'm still working on the basics :lol:

I really want to get better at using A-Wall, but I just don't have the playstyle to support it nor am I comfortable staying in one place that long unless its crazy defensible.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, A-wall seems counterintuitive to the playstyle/mobility is seems like you're supposed to be using?

It's a neat ability, but after I've killed a couple of people I need to relocate or I get nervous I'm gonna get destroyed.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I do wonder if there's room for more titan chassis. Maybe a utility one?
    OOOOO, like a healing class titan? I'd love the shit out of that. Hawken had one and it was my favorite by a long shot. I am a big fan of playing a healer class anything. It's a ton of pressure to be a healer, but it's constant, it's fast, and it's a ton of fun.

Maybe? Not sure how OP being able to repair other titans would be, might have to be a Core ability. Since you're basically giving up a damaging core ability to another player to keep THEIR investment in their titan going longer.

Just spitballing random ideas...
    Maybe a ability that lets you put small amounts of shields on friendly titans at range could be handy. Or giving extra protection (maybe a A-wall-style effect?) to pilots that are riding you. Or a tractor beam that lets you pick up batteries off the ground and put them in other titans without disembarking.

Or maybe a titan that has more deploy-able things like weak pilot/titan sentries that could help control areas.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

Need an Arc Cannon Titan.

Primary - Arc Cannon. Charge to do more damage and arc to zap nearby units
    Defensive - EMP Bomb - Similar to Arc grenade. Stun and haze vision of nearby enemy Titans
    Offensive - Arc Wave Short Range electric blast
    Trap - Deployable Sticky Turret that shoots pilots and Titans. Less durable version of the sentries.

Ultimate - Plasma Bomb. Large AOE similar to the Scorch Grenade launcher when fired.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Need an Arc Cannon Titan.

Primary - Arc Cannon. Charge to do more damage and arc to zap nearby units
    Defensive - EMP Bomb - Similar to Arc grenade. Stun and haze vision of nearby enemy Titans
    Offensive - Arc Wave Short Range electric blast
    Trap - Deployable Sticky Turret that shoots pilots and Titans. Less durable version of the sentries.

Ultimate - Plasma Bomb. Large AOE similar to the Scorch Grenade launcher when fired.

I'd be pretty interested in seeing a turret that shot Titans. I imagine getting hit by a scorch would hurt.

(I'm being silly)

I imagine we'll see alternative Titan skins for all Titans before we see a new set up.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Yeah, A-wall seems counterintuitive to the playstyle/mobility is seems like you're supposed to be using?

It's a neat ability, but after I've killed a couple of people I need to relocate or I get nervous I'm gonna get destroyed.
    A-Wall is the shit, especially when using the fast firing charge rifle. Also throw it in front of a turret and it mows shit down.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Starting on Eden immediately jumping onto the raised central path with A-wall is delightful

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I imagine a wall would be useful if you play amped hard point. Personally I avoid that mode like the plague though so.

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I imagine a wall would be useful if you play amped hard point. Personally I avoid that mode like the plague though so.
    Any mode that requires you to be at a specific location for an objective would greatly benefit from A-Wall. However, I'd argue that it could be beneficial with any anti-Titan weapon.

I've used A-Wall for a while, but recently switched to the ping spike because I kept forgetting to use A-Wall.

• Options
    I don't even have A-wall unlocked yet :redface:

I've seen it used... I'll have to these tips out when I finally get it.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I still like Grapple the most, mostly because it helps me recover from going "whoops this route dumped me in a huge open area [aka The Death Zone]."

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    A-Wall is great for Bounty Hunt, but a death trap for any open map like Angel City or Kodai.

• Options
    I've found cloak is my go-to because, as a newer player, my lack of map knowledge gets me killed too often.

With cloak I can sometimes just pause somewhere and get my bearing without getting my face shot off.

Stim is also fun because it's a go-fast button.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Pulling enemy batteries and installing friendly batteries is also by far the fastest way to charge your own Titan

About a 30% charge for an install. Definitely caters well to my suicidally reckless playstyle.

Also, A-Wall and the Sidewinder practically melts lighter Titans. If only I didn't have to give up Stim/Phase Shift.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    I still like Grapple the most, mostly because it helps me recover from going "whoops this route dumped me in a huge open area [aka The Death Zone]."
    I wish I knew how to use Grapple like some of these Spidermen I see flinging their webs and soaring through the skies. It's amazing to watch. I admit that occasionally I've seen someone pulling off crazy shit and I stood there like a fool watching... he killed me... I waited, watched the replay, then respawned. Totally worth it.

• Options
    Longhorn PrimeLonghorn Prime Registered User regular
    There are few things more satisfying than dropping a titan on someone

https://youtu.be/UO9hF2rO9k8

• Options
    Since I started playing a lot of attrition I switched to pulse knife for that mode. Very handy to be able to tell where the enemy is hidden away. I usually use stim for bounty hunt.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Since I started playing a lot of attrition I switched to pulse knife for that mode. Very handy to be able to tell where the enemy is hidden away. I usually use stim for bounty hunt.

I find it depends on the map. Pulse Blade can be really good on some Bounty Hunt maps because it can give you vision of opponents on the other side of the objective zone in the first phase so that you can deny them grunt kills.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Or just being able to see grunts while there's a ton of smoke obscuring people's view after the drop pods impact.

And then you shoot Softball grenades into the mix, and everything dies.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Attrition is a fucking chore.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I wish I was having more fun with this game, but I don't think I've won a single match in hours of playing this online and it's the most fucking frustrating thing in the world

ed: it also doesn't help that in my region Attrition is literally the only thing that anyone plays and if I try and matchmake anything else it tells me that there are 0 players playing that mode. They weren't well-populated to begin with so it was dead on arrival, really

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    I wish I was having more fun with this game, but I don't think I've won a single match in hours of playing this online and it's the most fucking frustrating thing in the world

ed: it also doesn't help that in my region Attrition is literally the only thing that anyone plays and if I try and matchmake anything else it tells me that there are 0 players playing that mode. They weren't well-populated to begin with so it was dead on arrival, really

Are you playing on console or PC? I was reading on neogaf the other day and if you listen to most of them there are 3 people playing the game in the entirety. Then I noticed most of them are on PC (and some in regions that aren't US/Western Europe) which seems like a double punch to the amount of people playing. Consoles seem very healthy? I never wait more than the wait time between matches and maybe 5-10 seconds in pretty much any mode I play (Which is pretty much anything other than strict CTF and Amped).

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options

Are you playing on console or PC? I was reading on neogaf the other day and if you listen to most of them there are 3 people playing the game in the entirety. Then I noticed most of them are on PC (and some in regions that aren't US/Western Europe) which seems like a double punch to the amount of people playing. Consoles seem very healthy? I never wait more than the wait time between matches and maybe 5-10 seconds in pretty much any mode I play (Which is pretty much anything other than strict CTF and Amped).

Edit- Which leaves me to believe that the PC crowd is either too entrenched into games they have been playing forever (CSGO) or are fragmented across too many games in general.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options

Edit- Which leaves me to believe that the PC crowd is either too entrenched into games they have been playing forever (CSGO) or are fragmented across too many games in general.

EditEdit- Not sure how I quoted myself, go me.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Unfortunately this was an issue with the original Titanfall, with some modes having zero population.

Over here in the UK I'm having no problem finding Attrition, Hardpoint or Bounty Hunt matches.

Getting my butt kicked definitely happens on the regs.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Mixtape (on consoles) must help out a lot for some of the less popular game modes.

I doubt I'd ever queue up specifically for Pilot vs Pilot, Amped, Capture the Flag, or Last Titan Standing, but I'm happy enough to play those modes when Mixtape brings them up.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Mixtape (on consoles) must help out a lot for some of the less popular game modes.

I doubt I'd ever queue up specifically for Pilot vs Pilot, Amped, Capture the Flag, or Last Titan Standing, but I'm happy enough to play those modes when Mixtape brings them up.

From what I understand they don't actually cross populate like you would think. IE Mixtape doesn't just randomly queue you in the other modes queues it queues you in a mixtape specific one. So if CTF was dead low on population the game would not use mixtape players to fill it.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    This is on sale in Europe on PSN now for 48 hours, £25/€30.

PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

From what I understand they don't actually cross populate like you would think. IE Mixtape doesn't just randomly queue you in the other modes queues it queues you in a mixtape specific one. So if CTF was dead low on population the game would not use mixtape players to fill it.

Yeah this is what slays me, I'd like mixtape to actually just act as the "yeah just please throw me into a match, any match"

• Options
    AngryPuppy wrote: »
    This is on sale in Europe on PSN now for 48 hours, £25/€30.

Just saw that, wonder why they aren't doing it in the US as well.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Yeah this is what slays me, I'd like mixtape to actually just act as the "yeah just please throw me into a match, any match"

It really seems like they missed a trick not utilising this at least partially.

I would play more mixtape (since I love CTF and can't get a game of that normally) but pilot vs pilot just baffles me as a game mode. I'm playing Titanfall damnit!

Campy on
  • Options
    Campy wrote: »

I would play more mixtape (since I love CTF and can't get a game of that normally) but pilot vs pilot just baffles me as a game mode. I'm playing Titanfall damnit!

Pilot v Pilot is good for leveling primary weapons/ pistols at least. More pilots to kill consistantly = more level ups. Especially for pistols as its hard to justify their use in any mode with Titans unless you use a grenadier weapon and pistol combo.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Or just being able to see grunts while there's a ton of smoke obscuring people's view after the drop pods impact.
    Threat Scope is good for that, too. Highlights enemies when in the scope's vision.

• Options

My theory is that there are just way too many games available on PC, so trying to capture their attention is like asking my 5 year old to focus on the letters of a word and work with me. PC gamers jump into something, play it for about a month, and then they're off to bigger and better things. Systems like Steam have so many damn games available and so many sales that it's so very easy to bail and go somewhere else for fun.

The same thing happened to the first TF and I hated it; such a great game shouldn't die off that quickly. After that, I swore off of buying games like this for PC and only purchase them for console, because console gamers typically continue playing the games for a longer time.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular

My theory is that there are just way too many games available on PC, so trying to capture their attention is like asking my 5 year old to focus on the letters of a word and work with me. PC gamers jump into something, play it for about a month, and then they're off to bigger and better things. Systems like Steam have so many damn games available and so many sales that it's so very easy to bail and go somewhere else for fun.

The same thing happened to the first TF and I hated it; such a great game shouldn't die off that quickly. After that, I swore off of buying games like this for PC and only purchase them for console, because console gamers typically continue playing the games for a longer time.

My theory is along the same lines: that PC Gamers are more likely to be hard core gamers. They bought/built a PC specifically to play games at a high standard of fidelity. That means on average they're probably going to buy more games, and play each of those games less often.

Consoles attract a more casual crowd that are probably going to buy less games, therefore they spend significantly more time playing one specific game's multiplayer.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Threat Scope is good for that, too. Highlights enemies when in the scope's vision.

I do wish I could slap a Threat Scope on the Slowball.... although how that would physically work, I dunno. (Especially since you don't get scope options at all with it.) Do kind of wish there were a bigger variety of unique mods for some of the guns that don't get a lot of choice.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Campy wrote: »

Pilot v Pilot is good for leveling primary weapons/ pistols at least. More pilots to kill consistantly = more level ups. Especially for pistols as its hard to justify their use in any mode with Titans unless you use a grenadier weapon and pistol combo.

It's easy to justify because pistols are fun and effective :) devotion + Mozambique is my go to for Attrition these days.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    attrition to me is like a simpler bounty hunt mode