As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE Online] Multiplayer Treachery Engine - Citadel Patch (April 2016)

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I think he means appearance.

Yup, I still fly ships based solely on aesthetic appeal

It's fine, you'll grow out of it, the eventually back into it.

That's true.

The Gnosis is ugly, but I am kinda eyeing it for my Highsec adventures.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    yeah it's kind of a big deal and it sort of explains why we've not seen so many major changes lately because to do that they have to put almost everything else on hold. Refactoring Dogma opens up a whole fucking bunch of opportunities.

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    iirc, the team working on Dogma and BiaB is very small. They just didn't want to release it with anything else to make the inevitable troubleshooting of "Why are Accounting skills being applied to Capital Jump Range" a lot easier.

I haven't been paying attention, has there been anything worse than a minor SP hiccup?

• Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    @V1m is doing a reddit ama, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/3u4zmj/i_am_meeting_endie_for_lunch_tomorrow/

Also to support me as his choice for second-best PA EVE thread poster, here's something I put together in EFT:

I managed to cram five T2 WDFGs onto a Devoter, with the remaining slot being an offline cyno:

2qJ9yLl.png

[Devoter, Beardfleet]
    Damage Control II
    Shadow Serpentis Armor EM Hardener
    Shadow Serpentis Armor Thermic Hardener
    Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
    1600mm Crystalline Carbonide Restrained Plates
    Co-Processor II

50MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
    Sensor Booster II, Scan Resolution Script
    Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400

Warp Disruption Field Generator II, Focused Warp Disruption Script
    Cynosural Field Generator I /OFFLINE

Medium Trimark Armor Pump II

And then there's the 4x T2 WDFG anti command destroyer fit, with a <2s lock time on destroyers and numerous infiniscrams to turn off their MJDs:

OwiYBQM.png

[Phobos, LOL @ Command Destroyers]
    Damage Control II
    Shadow Serpentis Armor EM Hardener
    Shadow Serpentis Armor Explosive Hardener
    Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

50MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
    Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400

[empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]

MWD / fitting makes the capacitor situation iffy but hey, its a gimmick anyway.

• Options
    I like the surprisingly good cap performance.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Yeah, and presumably you're only doing either the MWD or all the points at any one time, so you're probably fine.

Since I have two accounts, I kind of want to do a remote sensor booster / cap transfer anti support ship. I haven't figured out a thing that can do that yet. Possibly a legion with some unholy, unreimburseable nightmare of a fit? If I figure this out, I can go full 6x WDFG and never fly anything else again.

Edit: I was thinking too small. I have a Thanatos that would be perfect for the job. I hear they can get up to 6 au/s warp speed.

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Can you remote sebo/cap up a hictor with the infinite point active?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    No active assist.

• Options
    Curses.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Yeah, and presumably you're only doing either the MWD or all the points at any one time, so you're probably fine.

Since I have two accounts, I kind of want to do a remote sensor booster / cap transfer anti support ship. I haven't figured out a thing that can do that yet. Possibly a legion with some unholy, unreimburseable nightmare of a fit? If I figure this out, I can go full 6x WDFG and never fly anything else again.

Edit: I was thinking too small. I have a Thanatos that would be perfect for the job. I hear they can get up to 6 au/s warp speed.

I eagerly await the impending reimbursement thread.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    Off grid links are confirmed to be removed sometime soon - not next patch soon, but not soon(tm) either.

Just in time for me to finish Command Ships V on my otherwise perfect boosting alts :smaug:

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    aha, another buff for me.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I think I can fly a sliepnir, or at least am close, but everything says to fly the claymore.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    All I want for Christmas is 4 Carrier skill books. Are there usually PLEX sales around the holidays?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Lochiel wrote: »
    All I want for Christmas is 4 Carrier skill books. Are there usually PLEX sales around the holidays?

There was 15% off for black friday, I'm sure they will have another.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    I'm on the lookout for a special on new accounts.

I wont keep the second account active, just going to do a ~2 month training plan and get a PLEX for the referral, and then if I want to do something on another account I'll have a 2 month headstart.

Is this common btw? I recall a few $5 sales for new accounts, do people use that to generate $5 PLEXes?

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    I'm on the lookout for a special on new accounts.

I wont keep the second account active, just going to do a ~2 month training plan and get a PLEX for the referral, and then if I want to do something on another account I'll have a 2 month headstart.

Is this common btw? I recall a few $5 sales for new accounts, do people use that to generate $5 PLEXes?

If I remember correctly, the system is built to avoid free plexes, but I could be wrong. There should be a thing on the goon wiki about your options.

• Options
    I'll look at the wiki when I get home, but when I looked at the referral page it said you could get either a free month or a free PLEX on the account subscribing.

But now that you mention it, that does seem open to abuse.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    I so love the idea of this game and have tried a trial or two over the years, but have never been able to start properly for one reason or other.

I think i'd like to give it a go, but I look at the skill point system and despair, as the game is 10+ years old with players with millions of SP accumulated. On the other hand though, the constant sp gain has its appeal, as nowadays I must game fairly casually, so making progress while offline would be good.

Is it too late? Would a brand new player right now be woefully behind established players?

The other question I have is regarding time zone activity: I live in Australia... Anyone have any input on activity around my timezone?

404 not found
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'm in Australia and mrchi is pretty dead when i play

• Options
    Yeah, MRCHI has only rarely had a strong AUTZ presence. There is a goonswarm-based AUTZ squad, but I do not know how active they are, although my understanding is they were crucial in our recent attack into Cloud Ring.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Re: the Brand new player vs Established Players question... in the right group every new player can make valuable contributions.

SP progression in EVE is a balance between specialization and having more options. However, you can only specialize so far before you max out and have to diversify. This means that older player have tons of options, not super godlike abilities with every option. Training also has diminishing returns. It might take you a week to get a 15% improvement, and then a month to get 10% more... at which point you can't improve any further. So an older player might be able to do a few % more dmg than a newer player in an identically fit ship. Or, if it's a ship the new player has specialized in and the older player hasn't... then character age doesn't matter.

However, I think a more complete answer would be: Ignore SP. Individual power in EVE comes from your ability to make isk, and your network of friends. And while SP might influence that... it doesn't determine it. Joining MRCHI will get you ready access to isk making and a huge empire (at the cost of having to play tons of Rocket League and being a cog in the vast machinery of said Empire). Or find another established group. Or make your own group.

I dunno about goons AU TZ, but if you're looking for AU players, the Tweetfleet Slack has an #evedownunder channel for the upside down pod pilots.

Lochiel on
  • Options
    @Radiation asked about Dust in the recruitment thread (so hard to keep in mind which is which).

Crossing Zebras talks about the future of Dust

TL:DR - Dust really is coming to PC, but they can't say anything because last time they did we were reminded how well CCP handles Public Relations.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Yeah, MRCHI has only rarely had a strong AUTZ presence. There is a goonswarm-based AUTZ squad, but I do not know how active they are, although my understanding is they were crucial in our recent attack into Cloud Ring.

they are extremely active but also very new-player unfriendly because

a) they move around a lot, and as a new player you have neither the ability to move your shit, nor the ability to get more shit where you're going

b) They fly pretty high tech fleets so you're essentially limited to flying t1 tackle frigates until you can fly doctrine battleships.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Jimbo wrote: »
    I so love the idea of this game and have tried a trial or two over the years, but have never been able to start properly for one reason or other.

I think i'd like to give it a go, but I look at the skill point system and despair, as the game is 10+ years old with players with millions of SP accumulated. On the other hand though, the constant sp gain has its appeal, as nowadays I must game fairly casually, so making progress while offline would be good.

Is it too late? Would a brand new player right now be woefully behind established players?

The other question I have is regarding time zone activity: I live in Australia... Anyone have any input on activity around my timezone?

@lochiel answered this already, and so well, especially the part about me press ganging you into our merchi rocket league games.

I agree with basically everything everyone said - you can have plenty of fun regardless of sp, and you can have more and different kinds of fun as you get more sp, and we don't have a big AUTZ presence in MRCHI but you might be able to join up with the AUTZ squad.

Karmafleet is also an option if you want to go the Imperium route. They have a ton more members than us and might have a better AUTZ presence. You could still join the MRCHI jabber channel and hang out with us as much as you want.

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the replies everyone, especially @Lochiel - it doesn't sound as dire as I had believed it to be. I'm gonna jump in.
    I'll follow the steps in the Merch Industrial recruitment thread.

404 not found
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, especially @Lochiel - it doesn't sound as dire as I had believed it to be. I'm gonna jump in.

Buddy invite request received and buddy invite sent via PM!

I can't log in to EVE for another day or two, but the other directors know to accept your application once it appears.

If MRCHI ends up being too dead in the hours when I and the rest of our dudes are asleep, definitely ask around to see what other corps have a better autz presence. No one cares if you swap (except the fleshreaper ahahahahahahahahaha).

• Options

Buddy invite request received and buddy invite sent via PM!

I can't log in to EVE for another day or two, but the other directors know to accept your application once it appears.

If MRCHI ends up being too dead in the hours when I and the rest of our dudes are asleep, definitely ask around to see what other corps have a better autz presence. No one cares if you swap (except the fleshreaper ahahahahahahahahaha).

Wait wait, we have other directors that log in?

• Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Lochiel - it doesn't sound as dire as I had believed it to be. I'm gonna jump in.

If no one else is on, you can hang out with me while I give you terrible advice and do high-sec mining missions.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    opsec / spy alert etc

dfRYo5O.png

Edit: someone post screenshots and/or videos.

Edit2: this is what happened last time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeTTZLJyXfY

(spoiler we all died)

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I managed to get in on 4 kills, apparently!

I wonder if my percent damage dealt works out such that my 1.5m Merlin made up for itself out of the ~6b in kills. Probably not.

I hope next time I manage to bring something a bit more useful, like some EWAR or something.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I managed to get in on 4 kills, apparently!

I wonder if my percent damage dealt works out such that my 1.5m Merlin made up for itself out of the ~6b in kills. Probably not.

I hope next time I manage to bring something a bit more useful, like some EWAR or something.

The biggest % of my killboard isk value is a Revenant I shot with an interceptor and a Titan I plinked with a Dominix.

99.9% isk positive killboards forever.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    So I reactivated my account after like... 3 years?

god

anyhow all my stuff is in Delve

and the people down there suck now : (

it's sad

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Should have resubbed during one of the 5 or so times we owned Delve in that timeframe. Now you have to wait for HexaDelve: Delvening into the Delve.

• Options
    CFC is taking a beating on /r/eve/. I expect a moral boosting invasion of Delve soon.

• Options
    Our newly minted jabber room where the directorate chats with the line members (instead of using gs_isk) is having a good time with Reddit.

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    CFC is taking a beating on /r/eve/. I expect a moral boosting invasion of Delve soon.
    In other words, it's Wednesday?

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    Pretty much. It always amazes me that people forget that none of this is new or think that GSF is somehow not the greatest hive of scum and villainy that it's always been.

• Options
    Pretty much. It always amazes me that people forget that none of this is new or think that GSF is somehow not the greatest hive of scum and villainy that it's always been.

The funny part is that we're significantly better than reddit in this regard.

In non-terrible EVE news, I went into a wormhole:

OZIhBVx.png

Woops.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    That Sion callout thread was ridiculous.

"WHO ARE YOU SION TO RUIN OUR COMUNITY?"

I wanted to post "Who are you to ask? Are you speaking for all of /r/eve, or all of eve even?" but it was locked

The Black Hunter on