As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE Online] Multiplayer Treachery Engine - Citadel Patch (April 2016)

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Kyen wrote: »
    I know, I guess I don't have a moral objection to it. Does it somehow make it better if he was a PI hired by a company to investigate a competitors employees and did the same thing? The action is the same regardless.

It would be way worse, but it's pretty bad either way!

Imagine if Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon, hired a private investigator in order to get dirt on Tim Cook, CEO of Apple. Actually, you know what? He can do it himself. Tim Cook is openly gay, but lets say hypothetically that he has not disclosed his sexual orientation. Now lets say that Tim Cook makes a purchase on Amazon of a book regarding LGBT communities. Jeff Bezos then uses the API data generated by that purchase and other information collected for the express purpose of disclosing it. Bezos then leaks the information in some form or fashion and hopes to use it as leverage in convincing other partners to give Amazon exclusive access to sell certain products and services.

Now pretend you are a journalist who gets that information. (edit: That Bezos intentionally leaked it himself; not the actual information that Tim Cook is gay) How pumped are you right now?

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I know, I guess I don't have a moral objection to it. Does it somehow make it better if he was a PI hired by a company to investigate a competitors employees and did the same thing? The action is the same regardless.

1) Digi was very good at security, mostly through the usual channels (IP matches between various servers, chasing rumors, social matching, etc.). I say this as someone who has had to do a bit of it myself in the distant past (as a website/forum/competition manager)
    2) He also went way too far a couple of times - because he posted info publicly, which is not part of #1.

For some reason, people conflate #1 (which is a legitimate part of org management in Eve) with #2 (which was awful).

He was doing legitimate stuff up until he wasn't.

Durinia on
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yep that's mostly where my issues with digi lie. He was a creep, but at least he wasn't being an awful human being as well. Then he released people's real life personal info publicly and that's where he started being truly awful.

After the first time he started getting far bolder and less restrained about it, too. I've heard stuff about him emailing people on their work emails about stupid eve related stuff, as an example of stepping past the bounds of it being a video game and people's real life stuff.

So no, I don't think a company hiring a PI to find dirt on someone is any better, but that doesn't make what digi started doing any worse.

Also didn't help that he was generally a smug goose about everything.

• Options
    KyenKyen Registered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »

1) Digi was very good at security, mostly through the usual channels (IP matches between various servers, chasing rumors, social matching, etc.). I say this as someone who has had to do a bit of it myself in the distant past (as a website/forum/competition manager)
    2) He also went way too far a couple of times - because he posted info publicly, which is not part of #1.

For some reason, people conflate #1 (which is a legitimate part of org management in Eve) with #2 (which was awful).

He was doing legitimate stuff up until he wasn't.

Ah, yea I definitely see your point Durina, my bad.

• Options
    TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    I never experienced Digi's wrath as I've never done something spy worthy, it's just not that much of a game for me. I met him in person once at the first meet up in Wisconsin after The MIttani moved there. He was a fun guy in person and talked a lot to this introvert.

That was years ago, so I have no context for the 'didn't like that guy anyway' type stuff.

Eve Online: Zareph
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    Holy cow! This thread :(
    grumthorn wrote: »
    If you think goons are some unique group that 'made this personal' and that 2 people retiring would change much then you are quite frankly delusional. Human nature is such that there will always be and always have been people overstepping the magic circle.

You are right, but this isn't some lowest common denominator race to the bottom were it's acceptable to make this personal just because someone else made it personal. And if the people most famous for crossing that magic circle leave... well. I can hope it'll end with them. Or at least be severely reduced
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    The war is spilling out of the game!

Actually how is the war going, all I know is vague stuff about the swarm's home being on fire. Is it serious burning or get out the wienies and marshmallows burning?

Both sides are having fun, although there aren't many fights. The Imperium has lost most of their space and allies, their super fleet is trapped, and they are staging out of lowsec fielding harassment fleets. MBC & Co are settling into the Imperium's lost space and digging in. Some resets have happened among LowSec entities. So, to follow your analogy... the fire has died down and we're waiting to see if it goes out or flares up and explodes.

Related Adventrues! Last night I went on a coalition 25 man T3D roam. FC was laid back and competent, fleet mates were alert and focused. No one was sperging on comms or freaking out at every little mistake. It was pretty nice. Early on we got word that the Imperium had jumped a TISHU move-op 30 jumps away. FC didn't want to directly engage, but we wanted to be nearby in case it escalated into something exciting, so we roamed in that general direction. Chased off a sword fleet, chased off a gate camp that was beefy enough to ruin us if that had wanted to engage, and shoot a few goons that happened to wander into us. Took the bait maller... but apparently he wasn't bait because we waited for a bit for the rest of the trap to spring.

The TISHU situation didn't develop. Apparently they lost a carrier, but not much else.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Lochiel wrote: »

Actually how is the war going, all I know is vague stuff about the swarm's home being on fire. Is it serious burning or get out the wienies and marshmallows burning?

Both sides are having fun, although there aren't many fights. The Imperium has lost most of their space and allies, their super fleet is trapped, and they are staging out of lowsec fielding harassment fleets. MBC & Co are settling into the Imperium's lost space and digging in. Some resets have happened among LowSec entities. So, to follow your analogy... the fire has died down and we're waiting to see if it goes out or flares up and explodes.

I'm pretty sure the people in RAZOR, EXE, TNT, LAWN, Bastion, and INIT would politely disagree with the bolded part.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply all allies. Should have phrased that differently.

CO2 flipped, SMA failscaded, FCON has left the Imperium, LAWN and INIT have abandoned the warzone. RAZOR, LAWN, and TNT have all lost members. (Yes, that is a propaganda spreadsheet.)

I expect LAWN and INIT to come back into the fray once GSF does, but The Imperium has lost allies.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I honestly don't get why everyone thinks the Imperium is on the verge of complete and total collapse. This is status quo for wartime, once half of the moneybadgers lose interest and start blowing each other up we'll take our space back.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options

CO2 flipped, SMA failscaded, FCON has left the Imperium, LAWN and INIT have abandoned the warzone. RAZOR, LAWN, and TNT have all lost members. (Yes, that is a propaganda spreadsheet.)

I expect LAWN and INIT to come back into the fray once GSF does, but The Imperium has lost allies.

Yes, having been permadocked for no less than two weeks, I look forward to fighting again.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-26%20at%208.24.10%20AM_zpsp9bp42jg.png

Well, shit, I guess we've been undocking this whole time and no one told me.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Trekkie wrote: »
    ToyD wrote: »
    My main point was the level of required srs bsns. if I remember right, MerchI was invited to the alliance on the backs of a handful of ice miners. Last I played, we still ride on the backs of just a few people meeting this required level of participation. However it used to be cajolery getting you into a fleet. Not ultimatums. The ultimatums propping up the infrastructure was a main derogatory point against the bad guys. Now the roles have reversed. At some point, of course, eve turns into srs bsns required just by its nature, but it was always filtered from most players. Especially because the feeder corporations were usually invited because of some service they were particularly good at. I mean MerchI were miners that got a good reward, but then we inflicted daberb on them in retaliation.

Ya I've been around long enough to realize how much you have to screw up to be kicked, but I've also been around long enough to know that goons never do well holding space for long periods of time.

Ment and me and our army of alts used to ice mine the entire swarm's ice requirements in LO back in the Feythabolis days, people still wonder if I'm not an alt of Ment.

you should come back, the picture painted as some authoritarian communism thing isn't there. It's just like it was back then in that we are all 'hey if you can maybe join a fleet and shoot things it might be important, it might not but whatever'.

The fleets are fun, and the nerd rage from the 'goons don't log in' crowd can't seem to figure out how to get kill mails from never undocking when the top 7 of 10 corps on the kill board are goons and/or related imperium alliances.

I've been playing this stupid game off and on 8 or 9 years now, hell maybe 10. I still in small fights get a great adrenaline rush because consequences are real in this game. In any other MMORPG or MMOFPS i'll charge in and not care and die repeatedly, in this game I stop and think many times and that's why I come back.

Thanks for the words. I don't intend to come back. I loved building ships but when they redid industry I was unhappy with a lot of the changes they made because I didn't want a group or more alts. Maybe further refinements changed it again, I don't know. I am not interested in space timers for source materials and I was at a point where I had set up a POS to be more profitable, but babysitting that thing really sucked the life out of the game for me. They have great gameplay but for extremely limited time (like 30 min a day MAYBE), I was just not that happy about what I could accomplish in that amount of time. Still tho, I still describe EVE as 95% boring ass stuff that everyone hates but that last 5% is so much better than anything else ever that it makes you want to play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I never experienced Digi's wrath as I've never done something spy worthy, it's just not that much of a game for me. I met him in person once at the first meet up in Wisconsin after The MIttani moved there. He was a fun guy in person and talked a lot to this introvert.

That was years ago, so I have no context for the 'didn't like that guy anyway' type stuff.

Yeah I've heard before he's a nice enough guy in person, which I can certainly believe.

But in the context of Eve I found him very unlikeable.

• Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    I never experienced Digi's wrath as I've never done something spy worthy, it's just not that much of a game for me.

He said my okcupid profile pic was cute once? I can't find the logs though.

• Options
    Hmm, after scraping my jabber logs I see that was a lie. He in fact said:

"2012-09-11.(01:45:51) digi: ntrails: did I ever tell you how much you resemble hilmar keller? "

• Options
    I never did find out who that was but someone assured me it was a good thing

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

"Come back"?

Mate we* never left the fray, we just bounced to a better staging point. We've been farming kills so hard that, and I swear this is not hyperbole, lately we've been ending ops because there is consensus that we've killed enough for the day.

Tonight I was looking at the INIT Zkillboard after the op and had to go back 8 damb pages to see the start of it. For a sub-100 man fleet. This is the campaign we've been waiting for for 2 years, and we're having an absolute blast. INIT is happy as a sounder of swine in the stinkiest sty, because we're getting daily ops to (i) shoot towers (we fucking love shooting towers) and/or (ii) massacring chumps and harvesting their tears**.

I personally am smugging with the heat of a thousand exploding suns** because the POV that I and others like Mynnna, Jester and PGL put forward in the CSM are bearing glorious, glorious fruit and nullsec has become exactly what I wanted it to be: a glorious harvest of skulls for the skullthrone for medium sized and adaptable alliances.

In short: good times, man. Good times.

*I have no visibility of what LAWN are up to.

**Richest salt-mines found to date: OSS and The Culture. Man, I am not even joking these guys are angry about everything.

***No liability or fault is accepted for smugburn related injuries

• Options
    Baidol wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the people in RAZOR, EXE, TNT, LAWN, Bastion, and INIT would politely disagree with the bolded part.

It might perhaps be more accurate to say that Goonswarm has found out who their allies are.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    INIT is happy as a sounder of swine in the stinkiest sty,

This might be the best alliterative simile I've ever seen. :golfclap:

--Mark Twain
  • Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    I turn around for five minutes to do a PAX and look what happens. :|

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I get the impression that of the billion and one spreadsheet pilots that have been asking for chaos because "it'll mean good fights", only a handful actually meant it. And that handful is having fun!

The rest are turning into the saltiest of space sailors.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have actaully not been doing much EVE in the last few months, with all the other games currently vying for my time. I should rectify that.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    if somehow goonswarm just buckled and evaporated what would the landscape even look like 3 months out

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    if somehow goonswarm just buckled and evaporated what would the landscape even look like 3 months out

Someone else would eventually take over.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Always hard to say how things will shake out in the case of a power vacuum. But I'd expect a pretty nuts free for all to occur as a result.

Seems like goonswarm is on the counter offensive now perhaps? Interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    The idea that goons aren't undocking is purely r/eve ignorance. Last I checked the top zkill alliances and corps are Imperium. There are constant fleets, I get pinged every 20 minutes

• Options
    The idea that goons aren't undocking is purely r/eve ignorance. Last I checked the top zkill alliances and corps are Imperium. There are constant fleets, I get pinged every 20 minutes

Well they certainly weren't undocking / contesting space for a while as clearly indicated by the sov maps.

But like I said it seems that they are battling now which is fun.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Well they certainly weren't undocking / contesting space for a while as clearly indicated by the sov maps.

But like I said it seems that they are battling now which is fun.

Much less to do with lack of undocking and more to do with the very unbalanced nature of fozzie sov. GSF may have lost all their sov, but they've taken 20 systems from PH. The fact is in a contested area, there is no settling down, space can change hands so quickly that dropping a tower is pure recklessness

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Yes its not that we lost space we were actively trying to defend, the way the sov mechanics work right now is hilariously in favor of an attacker, my turn for a totally unbiased question:

What happens when Pandemic Horde evaporates after all their pilots hit 1 month of active eve time and don't resubscribe?

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

Someone else would eventually take over.

I don't think anyone would "take over", but I do think that Pandemic Legion would take their supercapital fleet and dunk everyone in range until they got bored and unsubbed.

Maybe try and take on the Russians, but that usually doesn't end well.

• Options
    As someone who has played the game for ~2 weeks: How do the current sov mechanics favor the attacker? Like, other than something about vulnerability windows and something called entosis I know nothing about it.

And like, seriously, this is a genuine question. I am new and there are lots of mechanics I know nothing about. If people could not spool up there PR machines for this and just answer the question or link me to a good source of information about it that would be wonderful.

I think that's been the most difficult part of being a new player in this game is extracting actual information about things from all the PR noise.

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    As someone who has played the game for ~2 weeks: How do the current sov mechanics favor the attacker? Like, other than something about vulnerability windows and something called entosis I know nothing about it.

I'm not sure how this could be spun but I'll take a shot.

The old sov mechanics required the attackers to burn a majority of the structures in a system to the ground with a large heavily armed force.

The new sov mechanics require a single ship to fly in and shoot a special laser beam a few structures for less than an hour.

That's the 10,000 foot view.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Drain wrote: »

The old sov mechanics required the attackers to burn a majority of the structures in a system to the ground with a large heavily armed force.

The new sov mechanics require a single ship to fly in and shoot a special laser beam a few structures for less than an hour.

It seems like that change makes it very, very difficult to hold large amounts of territory. Was that the intended design goal?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    A large part of the bonus to attackers is that when trying to take SOV, anyone can reinforce it, and then whoever wants to take the system has to do the final hack, whereas only the defending alliance can defensively hack it. So PH, PL, NC., MoA, random players daytripping, can put our stuff into reinforcement, while someone from the owning alliance has to repair it. Which means that people in RAZOR, EXE, TNT, LAWN, Bastion, and INIT can shoot people trying to hack, but they can't actually repair any GSF systems.

(This second part is my half-baked understanding)
    On top of this, in the old system, you had one or two things, in one system, that you had to defend per system. Now, when you make the hack, you then have to find 3 or 4 nodes that spread out to other systems in the constellation, and hack all of those nodes to successfully attack/defend. Yet again, defenders all have to be in one alliance, attackers can be anyone else. So now you have to fend off attacking fleets in three or four systems, while also trying to protect your hackers in three or four systems.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    edited April 2016
    It seems like that change makes it very, very difficult to hold large amounts of territory. Was that the intended design goal?

Yes. Phrase it a different way, do you think that goons et al holding endless swathes of uncontestable space is a good thing for gameplay when people can no longer easily jump around the gameworld for fights? This was a logical extension of jump fatigue.

Highly defender favoured sov is bad since it breeds stagnation. Xttz pointed this out before dominion was released and just how unbalanced it was going to be. This attacker favoured system is probably going to breed instability - which makes sov less attractive (unless they actually null when I wasn't looking?)

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    No, null still isn't particularly beneficial from a line perspective. There is a reason PL, NC. et. al. either do not own sov or own very little sov. It is required to do things like build supercapitals (which you can farm out to neutrals/renters somewhere), and nullsec production of certain materials is superior to hisec, but you can still make more isk more safely in things like hisec incursions/missions.

Baidol on
  • Options
    Drain wrote: »

Yes.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Now to watch them update the SOV mechanics to benefit the defenders heavily once GS loses all their space.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Mortious wrote: »
    Now to watch them update the SOV mechanics to benefit the defenders heavily once GS loses all their space.

I wonder if the new player built structures with their defensive guns from Citadels are going to make any difference on this front? I don't know if they actually interact with sov in any way though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options

I wonder if the new player build structures with their defensive guns from Citadels is going to make any difference on this front? I don't know if they actually interact with sov in anyway though.

Yeah, we were just wondering earlier if you can anchor them close enough to defend TCU's and the like.

• Options

They won't need to - GSF realizes that taking their space back is way easier than holding it, and they know that the invading forces have no interest in holding it anyways.

Thus, the tactic of "let them take it while harassing them for fun", but not investing in a massive fight because they can just retake everything with small hacking ships once the attackers get bored.

--Mark Twain