As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE Online] Multiplayer Treachery Engine - Citadel Patch (April 2016)

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    It was a quiet weekend in Syndicate, resistance there seems to have basically collapsed, so Pando decided to anticipate and take a bunch of guys who hadn't tried the Snatchfleet doctrine out for a quick spin to Saranen to get them familiar with the techniques.

Highlight of the 4.5B killed: https://zkillboard.com/kill/54307567/

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    i bought myself a month of this game and trying to remember what everything is

i have a lot of ships that im afraid to undock with and im not sure exactly what I was working on

I know that I was trying to do cloaked frigate salvaging, and I have a covert ops frigate, and I appear to have a covert ops cloaking device with the right skills to use it, but for some reason my memory was when I left this game, I was at a point where I was missing something so that I couldn't actually perform this activity but I don't remember what it was

idk, i just have a dark feeling about going into nullsec with that boat and finding out what it was that I was so afraid of

whats a good thing to do other than to amass pretend dollars with salvaging? i have about 700 million right now

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Step 1: what would you like to do. Work back from there.

Derping around solo, hoping to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, is not likely to work out well.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    i would like to get enough ISK so i could casually participate in small fleet PVP without being worried about dying

im also interested in some space trucking (player based logistics contracts), but I'm not sure if that's a thing anymore

Jasconius on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Our corporation has strat ship replacement. You can make money dying in fleets provided you use the doctrine ship. We are eyes deep in a hellwar right now though so you might want a week to get your head right, if you want to join at all. Which section of space are you in?

For your salvaging, you may be missing probe launcher skills or salvaging skills.

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    Space trucking is still a thing; there is at least one ingame channel ("Haulers") for ppl like you. That said; such people are often targets so I'd be careful. Start small, be mindful of your destinations and your collateral, and perhaps look into joining a service like Red Frog to help learn the ropes.

I doubt you'll get space rich from trucking though; which only matters for your first goal of being rich so you can PvP without worry. Null/WH solo exploration can provide decent enough isk, if that's what you're interested in. I've never really tried my hand at it, but FW can provide both income and a source of solo/small-gang PvP opportunities.

• Options
    Saranen has become a silly place. I'm glad goons are so enthusiastic about this being a long term thing, cause PL has proven they can camp a system for a year. Rumor has it their station camp is streaming movies. Log in, join fleet, crack a beer, and watch Clear Skies with a bunch of other nerds... occasionally shooting the occasional goon. I'm at a loss for words for how ridiculous it is.

I mean, I'm pretty grrGoons. But a lot of people have fucking rage boners for this.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Pandemic Legion took offense to our overview improvement POS. Odd thing to have in my drafts.

Lochiel wrote: »
    Saranen has become a silly place. I'm glad goons are so enthusiastic about this being a long term thing, cause PL has proven they can camp a system for a year. Rumor has it their station camp is streaming movies. Log in, join fleet, crack a beer, and watch Clear Skies with a bunch of other nerds... occasionally shooting the occasional goon. I'm at a loss for words for how ridiculous it is.

I mean, I'm pretty grrGoons. But a lot of people have fucking rage boners for this.

I think if that was true they wouldn't have called everyone else in for the party.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Have you already forgotten HERO?

• Options
    HERO cracked in a matter of months.

• Options
    I'm currently around Rens/Brutor Tribes Treasury station area, which is Minmatar space, and there are a lot of Russians.

It looks like when I last played two years ago I was working on Minmatar agent missions and I apparently got up to around level 3 agents, but that's really not what I'm interested in

I'm either chilling out and watching youtube while travelling, or I would try to do PVP (or cloak salvaging once i remember what the hell was going on with my ship)

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing you were trying to get into exploration?

It used to require a salvager, but no longer does, and makes more sense with a covert ops than ninja salvaging would.

Exploration is fun, and can be profitable or safe.

And you can do it anywhere, highsec, lowsec, nullsec, and wormholesec.

Skills required would the various scanning skills to 3/4, hacking/archeology to 4, and then a ship with a probe launcher (with 16 probes) and a hacking/arch module. And a cloak if you're going anywhere in a covert ops or in dangerous space in anything else.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh, and while you're getting your head around things, do the Sisters of EVE epic quest line.

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/The_Blood-Stained_Stars

Passes the time, actually an interesting quest if you read the text, decent rewards, can be done in a frigate until the last mission when you'll want a cruiser or friends. Ideally friends in cruisers.

Can be redone every 3 months if you feel like it or need rep.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    I believe I've done almost all or all of the Sisters quest. I'll double check

When I was last playing, I was doing nullsec exploration in a regular T1 frigate, and what happened was I got blown up twice in a row when taking my loot back to highsec (gatecamp), and decided I needed to cloak

I think the issue was I didn't know how cloaking worked and didn't want to carry a 50mm frigate + several hundred million worth of loot right into a warp bubble and still die. Will a warp bubble decloak you?

I would like to do exploration in nullsec and WH space, I've never been to wormholes ever and the idea is very appealing to me.

• Options
    Warp Bubbles will not decloak you no, but you can be decloaked by debris or ships. And if they're quick on the ball, they might be able to kill you between when the gate decloaks you and you change session.

So warp bubbles are still risky, I would avoid them.

Wormholes are great for exploration, they're usually empty. (remember to bookmark your exit) They're also a great way to get into/out of nullsec if you can find a connecting one, no gatecamps.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    is it plausible to enter w-space with a single ship and just roam around until your hold is full and go back? can you get stuck in wormhole space?

• Options
    Yes, and yes. Always have a probe launcher with probes equipped on your ship. Beyond being trapped, other dangers include being killed. There is no local in W-space, so the first warning you'll have of incoming hostiles will be probes on Dscan, and even that only if they didn't take the time to scan sites ahead of time.

• Options
    It's really easy to get stuck in W-space.

First rule, always bookmark the wormole you came in from. Double true if you're going through wormholes in other wormholes, it's a literal maze of connecting wormholes, and they can close behind you.

Always fly a ship with probes. Not having an expensive clone is recommended since if you lose your ship/probes suicide is the easiest way out.

But I wouldn't start with multiple wormhole expeditions at first. Rather find a highsec wormhole entrance that goes to wormhole space.

D-scan for ships, probes, drones, and wrecks. If it's clear, then scan down the sites (while cloacked and in a safe spot), and D-scan obsessively.

It might take you a couple of tries to find a wormhole with pirate sites in them, they tend not to last long in highsec.

Which is why I prefer wormholes that take you to lowsec/nullsec. I've had great luck with them dropping me in the ass-end of nowhere, with no one around for several jumps allowing me to safely get in and out with my loot.

And always bookmark the wormhole.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    ok, my clone is 100k ISK, I assume that's not expensive...?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Clone costs no longer exist. Mortious is talking about not having expensive implants plugged in where "expensive" is "anything you can't afford to lose".

Baidol on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    note) you can't do arch/hack sites in w-space in a covops ship. they have sleepers who are essentially really badass rats, they need to be cleared from the site before any hacking occurs, so that usually means someone is going to be coming back soon if the site is empty.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    note) you can't do arch/hack sites in w-space in a covops ship. they have sleepers who are essentially really badass rats, they need to be cleared from the site before any hacking occurs, so that usually means someone is going to be coming back soon if the site is empty.

Please tell me you have experiential loss mails.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    i may try to do the null wormhole thing first... I have a non-covops frigate set up since I'm rusty I don't want to lose all that equipment to me forgetting how to fly safe

just need to carve out some time to begin the expedition

what does fleet ops in the Merch look like should I decide to participate?

• Options
    edited June 2016

I specifically mentioned pirate sites, but yes, good point to clarify.

Wormholes have two types of exploration sites, Sleeper sites that are Wormhole specific, and Pirate sites that are the same ones that spawn in nullsec.

Only do the latter.

Also, ghostsites are now scanned down and are easily to be mistaken for normal exploration sites. They will also explode your ship. Unfortunately I can't explain offhand how to differentiate them.

edit: oh, just an aside, but "limited" sleeper sites in normal space are easily doable if you can scan them down. Not sure how that translates to W-space though.

edit2: And totes do it in a covert ops. Being able to warp cloaked is so much safer, and worth the extra 20 mil.

If you have trouble affording them I have like 600mil or something, so I can spot you 1 or 2 ships.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i may try to do the null wormhole thing first... I have a non-covops frigate set up since I'm rusty I don't want to lose all that equipment to me forgetting how to fly safe

At the moment, we're running Harpy, Hurricane, interceptor, bomber, and faction frigate fleets. However, I should remind you that we are currently involved in a defensive war right now, so if that doesn't interest you I suggest taking time to get your feet wet again first as you've been planning.

• Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Just re-subbed after a few months away. Looks like I was trying to do both exploration and colonization. Should I pick just one of those?

Colonization seemed like the sort of thing where I just drop by every few hours and pick up my cash/reassign some queues. Can you actually just focus on it or is it something you do in addition to other activities?

e:checking on some of my old planets, they're basically empty now. Do they refresh at some point or should I start looking into setting up on a new place?

Zellpher on
  • Options
    Zellpher wrote: »
    Just re-subbed after a few months away. Looks like I was trying to do both exploration and colonization. Should I pick just one of those?

Colonization seemed like the sort of thing where I just drop by every few hours and pick up my cash/reassign some queues. Can you actually just focus on it or is it something you do in addition to other activities?

Are you talking about Planetary Interaction? There's a pretty strict limit on how much you can do per character. "Focusing on it" generally means skilling up every character on your account, and usually having multiple accounts.

PI money is up though, because Citadels are largely built from PI mats, so yeah you can do that.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    V1m wrote: »

Are you talking about Planetary Interaction? There's a pretty strict limit on how much you can do per character. "Focusing on it" generally means skilling up every character on your account, and usually having multiple accounts.

PI money is up though, because Citadels are largely built from PI mats, so yeah you can do that.

Yeah. Sorry, I just call it colonization because that was the package deal I got on steam. :P

Multiple characters/accounts seems like way too much for me so I guess I'll stick with exploration. Thank you.

e: oh, nvm I got the explorer one, not the colonist one. Not that there was much in it anyway.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    Yeah I woudn't advise limiting yourself to what the Steam package suggests. By all means set up PI stuff if you want a semi-passive income and don't mind investing some SP and ISK into it.

• Options
    Baidol wrote: »

At the moment, we're running Harpy, Hurricane, interceptor, bomber, and faction frigate fleets. However, I should remind you that we are currently involved in a defensive war right now, so if that doesn't interest you I suggest taking time to get your feet wet again first as you've been planning.

yeah ill stay out for now

isn't there some sort of militia thing you can do in high sec for PVP practice? I've heard about it but ive never seen it

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

isn't there some sort of militia thing you can do in high sec for PVP practice? I've heard about it but ive never seen it

I know of a couple. You can do factional warfare for an official game mechanic. Or join RVB, which is a player led set of factions (RED & BLUE) which perpetually sock it out in High-Sec.

• Options
    I did a run of my planets and got enough to buy an Astero I really can't afford to lose. I just...I wanted it really bad ever since I bought Eve so it's mine now. Gonna park it until my skills and cash warrant taking it out for a spin.

Got lazy with my directional scanning (I blame my time away and definitely not my watching of youtube) and got popped in my Heron so now I'm especially paranoid about taking the Astero out.

• Options
    I did a run of my planets and got enough to buy an Astero I really can't afford to lose. I just...I wanted it really bad ever since I bought Eve so it's mine now. Gonna park it until my skills and cash warrant taking it out for a spin.

Got lazy with my directional scanning (I blame my time away and definitely not my watching of youtube) and got popped in my Heron so now I'm especially paranoid about taking the Astero out.

I still have a nidhoggur I'm ~180 days out from being able to sit in.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    edited June 2016
    YoungFrey wrote: »

I know of a couple. You can do factional warfare for an official game mechanic. Or join RVB, which is a player led set of factions (RED & BLUE) which perpetually sock it out in High-Sec.

EVE Uni is also pretty decent if you're in a major timezone.

They have high-sec, low-sec, null-sec, and wormhole "campuses". People seem quite chill overall.

I wouldn't suggest the high-sec campus though for pvp, it tends to be the most passive one. Low-sec one seemed to be the best for small-scale pvp. Can't really comment on the null/wormhole ones.

Joining them means that all tradehubs are offlimits though.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    was flipping through my skills and it looks like last time I played I foolishly rushed my way to battleships or something like that, leaving many other skills to rot

it seems like it would be generally more beneficial for me to skill up some things like armor tanking and turrets to rank 3 or 4 at least before doing anything serious

I also have all the tackle stuff decently skilled up

Right now I'm flying an ill-equipped Rupture w/ armor tank and very close range guns, and just doing agent missions while I refamiliarize myself with the game and get my skills decent

• Options
    wow i went 30 jumps deep into nullsec and found two relic sites. maybe lowsec mining might be better/quicker/easier money?

• Options
    lo-sec mining is never the answer

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    lo-sec mining is never the answer

The only time I've ever lost a venture (that I remember) was jumping back to hi-sec.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I did a wormhole run last night and made ~60mil in about an hour. That is about as much as I made in total in my first month of exploring and planetary interaction. I did wormhole dives before but they've never paid out as well as that. Also didn't get much of anything the past few days.

Yay exploring!?

Zellpher on
  • Options
    I did a wormhole run last night and made ~60mil in about an hour. That is about as much as I made in total in my first month of exploring and planetary interaction. I did wormhole dives before but they've never paid out as well as that. Also didn't get much of anything the past few days.

Yay exploring!?

May I ask what kind of ship you used to clear out the sites? I went to W-space a few days ago and was promptly owned