As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE Online] Multiplayer Treachery Engine - Citadel Patch (April 2016)

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Well the blackout era sure was a thing that happened.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    The sandbox once again manages to generate unique gameplay, even without PvP:
    Player Katia Sae has now joined the ranks of EVE Online‘s most legendary players by completing an epic journey to visit every star system in the game without being killed by anyone.

The trip took over nine years and included visiting 7,805 star systems, which includes every single system in highsec, lowsec, nullsec, and the extremely difficult to navigate wormhole space. Every system was catalogued in over 50,000 images on the Sagan Explorations blog, and the only known systems left unexplored are the inaccessible Jove regions.

In recognition for Katia’s incredible achievement, CCP invited Katia to become the first regular player to visit the Polaris star system normally reserved for developers. CCP is also planning to add an amazing looking statue of Katia’s character to the game, which uses a new technique to build the statue directly from character data.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the warp speed buff is better than anything the blackout ever did

it almost makes me feel like roaming is worth my time again... almost

there's a lot riding on this eve vegas for me. if they don't send a clear message that they're unfucking the game in 2020 then it's time to win!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I have an an EVE Online account, and somehow I got on their mailing list a long time ago, so when new patches and events come out I get emails. But I don't actually play. It's fun to read about, however. And I'd like to think that I would play if I had time for it. Anyway...

I got an email from them yesterday about wanting to set some sort of Guiness Book of World Records record for something. The email talked about needing to beta test and stress test some sort of new thing. But the email was also not specifically clear on what the world record is that they are going for. Anyone able to enlighten me?

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I have an an EVE Online account, and somehow I got on their mailing list a long time ago, so when new patches and events come out I get emails. But I don't actually play. It's fun to read about, however. And I'd like to think that I would play if I had time for it. Anyway...

I got an email from them yesterday about wanting to set some sort of Guiness Book of World Records record for something. The email talked about needing to beta test and stress test some sort of new thing. But the email was also not specifically clear on what the world record is that they are going for. Anyone able to enlighten me?

they are doing silly mass tests of an arcade game that uses some cloud-backed server technology

it has nothing to do with EVE at all other than that it uses the word "EVE" in the name... just marketing

• Options
    I made it 117 days clean until the deployment announcement.

I'm a good boy, led astray by bad company :bigfrown:

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    So, latest EVE News is tha they are introducing a CCP controlled raffle service....many years after they banned players for holding raffles:

So people are mad, though honestly, player-run raffles are just obvious scam bait, so CCP deciding to have the inside systems in-house makes sense. Also, hey, more money.

• Options
    i really like this hypernet thing

sometimes, assets and ownership in EVE can feel a little bit uhh... i don't have the right words to describe it other than "not very motivating".

I can have a Nyx, but why? to what end? etc

I have a decent amount of isk, and I have the means to make quite a lot more.. but i don't, because I just don't see the reason. i enjoy the game in a very cheap way

the hypernet thing provides an interesting new avenue to me to have some fun... I can theoretically buy a titan for 200 million isk...... I probably won't win it... but if I do... I have a fucking titan lol

and 200m isk is nothing. I could enter titan raffles every single day forever and I only have to get lucky once or twice and boom I have a story to tell, even if it wasn't the most efficient thing

this feature speaks to me in a very novel way

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Anyone else been playing Echoes? It's fairly fun, actually.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I found out yesterday that EVE became FTP. I downloaded the client and hopped on for the first time in 9 years (holy shit). Amazingly, my character still exists, although I had to redo his look. I ran some high sec missions in my Caracal, which got a nice visual upgrade (the wings adjusting for warp is a nice touch).

Does PA still have a presence in game, or has it been completely subsumed by Goonsquad? I remember when MRCH was a thing, although I never engaged in PvP (not enough personal assets to allow for potentially blowing through multiple ships and all their fittings).

• Options
    edited December 2019
    the only remotely formal PA-related organization in EVE is MRCH, still quite alive, I think

Jasconius on
  • Options
    cancelled my omegas today, ending a 3 year run

game is rotting faster than they can fix it

was expecting them to come out swinging with their fancy new "quadrants" and we get.. 5% more heavy missile damage?

no thanks dawg, I'm good with that

• Options
    Yeah they nerfed MJFDs, removing basically the only way for subcaps to even stay on the grid vs massed supercarriers, and now it really is No Fun Allowed for people who don't want to fly capitals.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Even for those of us who fly supers, it's kind of No Fun Allowed right now. No one wants to escalate a war to titans because no one wants to lose trillions of ISK in a 4000 person local tidi fest. With the big alliances it's basically becoming MAD at this point because the available titan numbers are absurd. Supercarriers can have fun umbrella dropping and being trolly but even that's a hit or miss affair. We've learned that if we drop the sledge hammer every time a gang shows up in our space, they stop bringing us content. Supers are basically home defense weapons now. An umbrella makes your space effectively unassailable strategically to anything but an equal force and can put up the "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" hand tactically when required.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    i think that it is now beyond just the details of what module does what or this ship class vs. that ship class, even at the capital level

EVE in my opinion now has real gameplay issues that are insurmountable without some revolutionary changes to the game

it sounds melodramatic, but as far as my play style is concerned and my outlook at what EVE is, I don't think TQ will actually be rescued from its fate

but the skins will be awesome!

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    EVE in my opinion now has real gameplay issues that are insurmountable without some revolutionary changes to the game
    Universe:
    The following adjustments have been made to asteroids throughout the universe of New Eden:

High Sec Asteroids:
    Pyroxeres, Omber & Kernite quantities reduced.
    Low Sec Asteroids:
    Veldspar, Scordite, Pyroxeres, Plagioclase, Jaspet, Hemorphite & Hedbergite quantities reduced.
    Null Sec Asteroids:
    Scordite, Omber, Kernite, Jaspet, Hemorphite, Hedbergite, Gneiss, Dark Ochre, Crokite & Arkonor quantities reduced.
    Bistot quantity increased.
    Ore Anomalies spawned from Sovereignty Industry Index upgrades:
    Level 1, 2 & 3 respawn times adjusted.
    All variations of Crokite in all levels replaced with the equivalent yield variation of Kernite.
    Gneiss, Dark Ochre & Spodumain quantities reduced.

geez ccp if you're gonna read my posts feel free to like... i dunno... email me or something

delve bros stay strong...........

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Get rid of Jump Fatigue.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    meh

i briefly considered resubbing today in support, but have postponed that for at least a little while, particularly after I read their moon plans, which, in lacking detail, initially strike me as a waste of effort...

i cannot detect their true motive in hacking apart mining anoms, but one of my longstanding gripes about EVE ~2020 is that CCP runs into problems like this...

[We have a bot problem] -> [let's go fight the bots] -> [shit, it turns out that thousands of legitimate players coincidentally play the game as though they were bots]

and I hope that in some way this was targeted at this specifically, and not so much trying to choke out ore to make caps rarer or some shit like that... the 50x mackinaw broadcasting needed to go. AFK rorqs need to go. I don't know how much harder it will be now to do those things, but anything more than 0 is a step in the right direction.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So, I haven't touched EVE since ...

Deklein? I have a bunch of stuff including a Thanatos up there that I ain't ever gonna see again. Every so often I think about returning, but I never was any good at the game. Wouldn't even know where to begin -- and looking at this thread it looks like people have kinda moved on anyway?

So.

... What's this all about red dots that has people upset? Reddit is losing their minds over it.

Edit: And what's this change that went live on the 11th that has people happy? They finally going after the "I have 23 ice miners that I totally don't bot Mittani plz don't kill" types?

KiTA on
  • Options
    - they changed ore anoms to have something like 1000x less ore than they used to. AFAIK its only ore, not ice. I'm not a miner so I don't know exactly who is targeted the most, but the general implication seems to be that mass scale mining will take, at least, more effort to do
    - They added a red dot to the UI, I think it tells you when you have like.. a new item in your inventory or something. Which for many power-users is... literally constantly.. so memes

you could probably just contract your thanatos and buy one for 70% the cost in Delve

as far as moving on and stuff... I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of the game... EVE is EVE, at it's root the game has its appeal, but it's getting harder and harder to access that appeal. A lot of people have quit or are taking vacations of undefined length. I recently quit after playing 3 years solid, and doing almost every playstyle and venue there is to play in the game in the process.

There's just a lot of stagnation in the game, politically. Militarily, the meta is poor to say the least, particularly in k-space. Lowsec is completely gone. FW is essentially gone except for like 3 small corps. The only people doing anything in null are in east asian timezones. In wormholes, there are basically only 5-6 real serious groups, and you need to be blue to one of them to not be evicted within 6 months.

The game does not presently incentivize people to do anything but amass wealth, which is both boring, and also a fools errand.

Even if you were willing to ante up some of that wealth to do some PVP, PVP has never been less fun due to the proliferation of caps, T2 hulls, and citadels which allow medium to large sized groups to stage entire fleets pretty much everywhere all the time with no risk.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, I briefly re-tried EVE after a 9 year gap, and all that did is remind me why I quit.

It's a game without a purpose outside of earning space bucks. You can do it alone (high sec mining, ratting, the new wormhole/incursion things). You can do it with a group (low/null sec versions of the same, but this time in a corp). And that's about it. There's no point to any of it outside of the accumulation of wealth and, perhaps, digital territory.

It doesn't help that the way you interact with the game is boring, too. Set your range and/or orientation to a target, orbit if necessary, and turn on buttons that automatically pulse. Yawn.

It's just not an engaging experience, IMO. Too much time spent on traveling from system to system, and too much time where simply nothing happens aside from your modules automatically pulsating, and all for no real ultimate point.

I dunno... Maybe it would be more appealing to me if I were more social, but I dislike PvP as a rule, and don't like playing according to someone else's schedule. It's why I avoid PvP and raids in FFXIV. The moment a game feels like a job rather than something fun I stop playing. And EVE only ever feels like a really tedious job to me.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    So what do I think will happen?

The biggest topic on the plate and part of almost every session was the ecosystem work. The Ecosystem Team has been publicly announced and they have made few rounds of the show & podcast circuit to get their ideas out there.

What they are trying to do is ambitious. Mind bogglingly ambitious when you start to dive into the details and fractal effects of tugging on one part of New Eden’s ecosystem.

Not to overstate the plan, but it is a fundamental rework of how ISK and material enters the economy and how time and effort is valued in the game.

mm yes... talk dirty to me.

I think anoms are going away. After they deleted null rocks.. they showed me that nothing is sacred. I sort of rage quit the game after they came out guns blazing in 2020 with "5% more heavy missile damage"....

but SINCE that patch... they've done nothing but positive things. And Dunk's take here is appealing because it speaks directly to what my core complaint is with the game (posted early in these recent pages)...

EVE has a gameplay problem, which is brought on by a combination of total liquidity in the economy and the fact that most isk-rich activities are the WORST for content... they've addressed both components of that formula in the past 2 months in a huge way. My optimism on a scale of 1 to 10 generally rests at a 2.1 with CCP... it has ticked up to about 2.7 with the most recent changes.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Even for those of us who fly supers, it's kind of No Fun Allowed right now. No one wants to escalate a war to titans because no one wants to lose trillions of ISK in a 4000 person local tidi fest. With the big alliances it's basically becoming MAD at this point because the available titan numbers are absurd. Supercarriers can have fun umbrella dropping and being trolly but even that's a hit or miss affair. We've learned that if we drop the sledge hammer every time a gang shows up in our space, they stop bringing us content. Supers are basically home defense weapons now. An umbrella makes your space effectively unassailable strategically to anything but an equal force and can put up the "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" hand tactically when required.

The logical outcome to this would for CCP be to note that the main use and effect of supercapitals is to stop people playing, and therefore they should be removed.

• Options
    https://www.eveonline.com/article/q8f2l8/surgical-strike-coming-15-april
    CCP wrote:

Capital Updates

There is a vision for a Capital ecosystem with clear escalation steps based on distinct roles for each class. Part of that vision relies on moving Super Carriers and Titans away from all-purpose damage to a specific focus on Capital and structure killing. You will have seen one big step in this direction recently with the removal of High Angle Weapons from Titans. Now, substantial changes are being made to Super Carriers as well, but there is also an acknowledgement that Super Carriers need more to set them apart from Titans and Dreadnaughts as Capital killers before their Subcapital damage application can be fully removed. For now, their fighter tube loadout will be rearranged to promote more class diversity in your local Super umbrella and decrease long range Heavy Fighter damage application.
    Capital changes in this update include:

Removal of support fighter tubes for Super Carriers with the addition of one extra Heavy Fighter tube
    Bonuses to XL plates and extenders for Super Carriers reduced to 200% and for Titans reduced to 300%
    Long Range Heavy Fighter explosion radius increased 50%
    Short Range Heavy Fighter speed increased 50%
    Fighter bay size increased for Aeon and Wyvern
    Capital Capacitor Boosters limited to 1 per ship

V1m's reaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ATBbrfmzc0

• Options
    Well I guess I'll resub then.

• Options
    yeah this is a nice one lol.... not sure anyone was expecting this

• Options
    I'd feel a bit guilty not doing so after Rise basically went with my wishlist

• Options
    It kills a huge amount of content for nullsec right now, which is whaling. Both from the perspective of the whalers and the defenders. No point in whaling when no whales will be in the water anymore. The EHP change wouldn't have completely killed the idea of super ratting, but the application change definitely did.

I don't super rat, so I don't care about it from a money making point of view. As someone who lives in Delve I'm sad to see whaling get strangled out as a form of content. It was fun as a defender and brought content to us that was fun to participate in.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    having lived on the pirate side of the fence for most of the 4 years I've been playing, I think that most whalers would rather not have to whale to get their kicks.

but that is one of the few things you can do PVP-wise right now that does not require empire-scale logistics and diplomacy and tidi and all that other good stuff.

Marshy and Olmeca combined probably spend upward of 150b per month on plexed cloaky alts alone. More than probably, I know Olmeca spends over 80b per month on plex. I am sure they'd rather be spending their isk on other things.

Does this patch open up more PVP opportunities? Some surprising names think not, but I am a little more optimistic. The fledgling alliances in the north seem to think that FAXes were the only thing between them and certain annihilation, but I think they're maybe a little delusional.

For my own corner of the world, I think FAXes ruined PVP in wormholes. It was obnoxious. Nothing worse than doing all the work needed to get a real WH brawl going only to have a mino land on grid and wipe out hours of work.

I also really like the resist mod nerfs. This is another thing that is featured strongly in WH. Turbo x-type tanks with 85%+ omnis heavily distort the game and whittle down the established meta to just a small handful of real options. I've got literally hours of footage of heavy armor brawls that just stalemate until someone can finally get a boosh off because NOTHING can be killed when logi is in range.

There is open talk now in my discords about WH armor meta just ending completely, because suddenly your 1.5b isk ikitursas are within alpha range for any modest sized fleet. I think this extremely good.

i resubbed in support. Looking forward to seeing what they introduce next month.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I am on not optimistic for the short term effects on nullsec PvP. So much of the game for nullsec right now is small home defense stuff, a lot of it based around whaling and umbrella stuff. Sure small gangs can still roam in to your space, and you can still drop on them/fight them with small ships...but their desire to bring expensive ships is going to plummet when instead of possibly catching a meme-mobile they are going to be fighting over the scraps of Ishtars, Geila's and the occasional carrier.

No one wants to commit giant super forces to a real nullsec war and this certainly doesn't change that. If anything it makes it worse because the real big toys are going to get more expensive to make and be much easier to kill. CCP has continuously made design decision that are antithesis to their stated goal of the biggest ships being used to kill the biggest ships by making it more and more prohibitive to actually getting in a position to brawl with each other. There is a reason we haven't had a massive titan graveyard fight in over a year. The changes so far only reinforce that status quo.

Since I personally play EVE to play on the largest scales, in the biggest ships, and the biggest wars with the most consequences...none of it compliments the reasons I care about EVE.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    No one wants to commit giant super forces to a real nullsec war and this certainly doesn't change that. If anything it makes it worse because the real big toys are going to get more expensive to make and be much easier to kill.

I think you misunderstand. That is exactly the goal.

What a lot of people want... what almost everyone living in lowsec and non-donut null want, is to be able to put down a fortizar without having to worry about a supercap fleet or 400 muninns coming to shit on it out of boredom, with no regard for potential cost.

Right now there is no path to start and build a sov-holding entity unless you join a pre-existing entity. If you anchor, even in lowsec without the blessing of one of the space popes, you will be lucky to survive for a month. So. A lot of people want the toys to stay at home. Exactly that. Other people would like to play the video game now.

Nobody was bringing anything expensive to Delve anyway. 150 bombers is not expensive. I cannot stress enough, nobody would go to Delve if there was something better to do. Nobody gives a shit. Nothing about it is appetizing. I've been in the super whaling fleets. On the excitement meter, the mood in teamspeak when a Hel dies is barely a 4 out of 10. Most of the people are just sad that it has come to this.

In an idealized game, I think everyone in those fleets would agree, that it would be way more fun if they could just divide the fleet into 4 teams and fight over a corner of Detorid with each other instead, or something like that.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Malcanis new law: the ratio of outrage to actual stats in a post made by people raging about a nerf is in direct proportion to how overpowered the thing that got nerfed was.

Most of the objections boil down to "If I can't keeping using $OP_THING then I'll quit which would damage EVE".

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Update: resist nerf went live; sky did not fall. No confirmed reports of cats and dogs living together.

V1m on
  • Options
    can confirm... had a 30vs30 bling brawl today... average ship cost 800m, mostly played out the way they always do...

since I resubbed I have noted many massive improvements... I've had more content in the past week than in entire months of roaming/hunting before

Including this hilariousness.... which funds me for several months

https://zkillboard.com/kill/83464605/

I believe the filaments have really done-in traditional Haven botting... alledgedly 20k+ filaments used per day... that's a massive amount of intel traffic which basically makes the old fashioned bots useless, or certainly way less effective

I've done 4 filament roams and I've gotten non-bot related PVP on every single one of them within 10 minutes. Would take HOURS of roaming for that to happen last year.

• Options
    yesterday in very casual filament roaming I got 9 solo killmarks and a total value destroyed of almost 5 billion thanks to two ridiculous pods

the ships were:

AB-only blaster harpy
    standard fit AC thrasher

total roam time less than 2 hours

these are real video game numbers, and I've never seen anything like it pre-filament pre-"banning most of the bots most of the time". it could take me a month to get 9 non-ratter kills in 2019 in nullsec

The game is close to a good place now... trending in the right direction. There are only a few more mild things I'd like to see before I am content for them to let things cook for a while...

• Options
    In "Sentences V1m never expected to write", there are currently 41,438 accounts logged into TQ.

• Options
    currently hanging out in Vale trying to get space rich on DEDs... this is a new experience for me.... but it's time to graduate to real EVE gameplay.... so now i have two separate omegas training caps

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I’m back playing this fucking game

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Wait, are things better again?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Koreg wrote: »
    Wait, are things better again?
    Yes!

Drain on
    N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho