As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    You know, I don't think I'd mind a campy movie starring European Box Art Mega Man.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Oh god, Mega Man is going to hold a gun instead of having a buster cannon isn't he?

God damn it, Hollywood.

Nah, that will be the one thing they do keep.

Maybe Mega Man will be a high school student with a tiny version of himself living in his helmet... Oh wait... :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Have no hopes for that either. I mean, they named Rock Aki??????????

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I have no faith in the movie, but let's not pretend making it accurate to the source material would help. MM stories aren't very good even compared to other games.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I have no faith in the movie, but let's not pretend making it accurate to the source material would help. MM stories aren't very good even compared to other games.

Are you telling me you weren't surprised when it turned out to actually be Dr. Wily behind the 8 rampaging robot masters trying to take over the world for the seventh time?
    It just came out of nowhere for me.

I hope they stay faithful to the source material and call the city he lives in Monsteropolis :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    There are soooooo many ways Mega Man could be screwed up. Not only could the material get far too serious for a series involving a robot shaped like a spark plug, it could get off-puttingly cartoony if they insist on making it live-action. We don't need "Smurfs, but with robots," thanks.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    There are soooooo many ways Mega Man could be screwed up. Not only could the material get far too serious for a series involving a robot shaped like a spark plug, it could get off-puttingly cartoony if they insist on making it live-action. We don't need "Smurfs, but with robots," thanks.

Depends. Is Neil Patrick Harris playing Doctor Light?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited July 2017
    skeldare wrote: »

Depends. Is Neil Patrick Harris playing Doctor Light?

I can't decide if this is preferable to his Mega Man 8 voice.... Would NPH be sober at least?

Warlock82 on
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Hot Take: the existing Mega Man live action movie will probably be better than this.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The what?

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

The individual stories from each game aren't great, but the overall story of both classic and X games are fantastic.

steam_sig.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I mean, I wouldn't say they're fantastic. But does it really mean anything if the broad strokes are good/decent but the actual details are awful?

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Differing tastes in stories then i suppose.

steam_sig.png
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    You know, I don't think I'd mind a campy movie starring European Box Art Mega Man.

I actually thought it was funny when they added bad box art megaman in SFvTekken, but I would be kind of annoyed if they made a movie of it.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I don't think it's MN9's fault that someone thought they going to get more than what the tier they pledged at said they would get.

There's plenty of real problems with the whole of MN9, I don't see why people need to make stuff up.

homogenized on
    I don't think it's MN9's fault that someone thought they going to get more than what the tier they pledged at said they would get.

There's plenty of real problems with the whole of MN9, I don't see why people need to make stuff up.

Yeah, looks like they just misunderstood what they were supposed to be getting. Though the manual being too big for the box is amusing.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Wasn't that a big gripe when all this was going on? When they announced the publishing partnership and there would be physical copies sold in stores, a bunch of people said "Well, I kickstarted an empty box while anybody can now go into a store and get the same thing with a game in it, can I have that better version?" and the answer was "Nope, no refunds also btw".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    oh my fucking god it's still going

i can't fucking wait to see 8 different dissertations on how apocalyptic this is pop up in my youtube suggestions feed for the next month and a half

this isn't tiring at all

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Although if it is true that the manual doesn't actually fit in the box, that's a hilariously apropos finale summarizing MN9's overall planning.

edited July 2017

Yeah, looks like they just misunderstood what they were supposed to be getting. Though the manual being too big for the box is amusing.

I actually think they specifically said it was just a box during the kickstarter. It's weird they make you assemble it, but that also probably saves it from being crushed in shipping, so not that big a deal.

Warlock82 on
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I actually think they specifically said it was just a box during the kickstarter. It's weird they make you assemble it, but that also probably saves it from being crushed in shipping, so not that big a deal.

They did say that

DFog1pEXkAAtHa_.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Yeah. I seem to recall too though they even elaborated that there wouldn't be a game inside... maybe in the FAQ or a Q&A or something...

Yeah. I seem to recall too though they even elaborated that there wouldn't be a game inside... maybe in the FAQ or a Q&A or something...

Yep, they did

mightno9box.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

There's wiggle room. Keeping the core backstory of the games would be the main thing, but execution of what follows is more flexible. Ariga's manga demonstrates this quite well.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Mega Man occasionally has glimmers of interesting plots, Quint for example. But they ultimately always to go nowhere with them in favor of continuing the cyclical television-style story of "Dr. Wily's doing something bad, ok you beat him now everything's better again" that was the general rule of thumb with the original series.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I pledged at the add on level to get the USB famicom cartridge stick... so that'll be interesting to see what actually shows up

FWIW, the t-shirts they sent out a few years ago were really nice.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited July 2017
    Oh hey guess what

http://kotaku.com/the-problem-with-mighty-no-9-instruction-manuals-1797258380

Apparently if you selected the NES-style box it fits, but if you selected the Famicom-style box it won't?

Donnicton on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It's more telling they couldn't be bothered to print the manual in color.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I appreciate they're at least trying to meet all the kickstarter odds and ends, its the least they could do. Now we can put our long national nightmare behind us and resume complaining that Capcom doesn't make Mega Man games anymore

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List

Honestly that may have been an intentional choice. Not very many NES manuals were in color.

Naphtali wrote: »
    I appreciate they're at least trying to meet all the kickstarter odds and ends, its the least they could do. Now we can put our long national nightmare behind us and resume complaining that Capcom doesn't make Mega Man games anymore

At this point, I can almost see why.

Shortly before realizing that regardless, I just still want more jump&shootman.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Honestly that may have been an intentional choice. Not very many NES manuals were in color.

Not many NES games boasted a color manual before giving you a black and white one, either.

And apparently there were supposed to be two different manuals, one Japanese and one English? I wonder if they screwed up who was supposed to get what, or if they just made one type.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

huh? i'd say a good 50% were

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah I recall a ton of manuals with color doodles and art that looked way better than the games

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »

huh? i'd say a good 50% were

Yeah, I'd have to go looking to say for sure, but I feel like I remember a fairly wide swath of games having color manuals.

Actually, that might have been an early- vs late-NES thing. I don't think games like Excite Bike or even the first Mario had color manuals, but everything I recall from that first year on had at least some color.

Edit: Mega Man apparently jumped on the color manual boat from 3 on.

OneAngryPossum on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Zelda 1 and the Mario games had color manuals. Not sure about a bunch of other games I had back in the day.

Kirby's Adventure also had a color one.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    What gets me is that it took them a year past launch to ship a manual and a cardboard box

YL9WnCY.png