As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm just hoping the difficulty isn't nuts this time.

Reportedly four difficultly levels: "Newcomer, Casual, Normal, and Superhero."

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I heard there's Veteran difficulty after normal.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they can think of that many variations. I would assume something like:

-Mode where you're virtually invincible, infinite weapon energy, infinite gear energy, and all spikes and pits are covered with special blocks.
    -Just the covering of spikes and pits. And in lieu of them using special blocks to cover them, maybe then spikes are simply not OHKO's, and Beat always saves you from pits.
    -Normal jump n shoot man.
    -Bog standard 0.5x multiplier across the board. Perhaps bosses also get a special attack they only use in this mode too.

...Actually I guess that is 4. Dunno how you'd squeeze a 5th in there though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised they can think of that many variations. I would assume something like:

-Mode where you're virtually invincible, infinite weapon energy, infinite gear energy, and all spikes and pits are covered with special blocks.
    -Just the covering of spikes and pits. And in lieu of them using special blocks to cover them, maybe then spikes are simply not OHKO's, and Beat always saves you from pits.
    -Normal jump n shoot man.
    -Bog standard 0.5x multiplier across the board. Perhaps bosses also get a special attack they only use in this mode too.

...Actually I guess that is 4. Dunno how you'd squeeze a 5th in there though.

I'd want the higher difficulty levels to work like they do in 9 and 10, by changing the hazards rather than just adding multipliers. We don't yet know what all else 11's easiest mode will change, but Beat saves you from every pit.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm just hoping the difficulty isn't nuts this time.

Reportedly four difficultly levels: "Newcomer, Casual, Normal, and Super Fighting Robot."

Should've been that.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    https://kotaku.com/mega-man-11-is-exactly-what-i-hoped-it-would-be-1826794039
    I played two full stages of Mega Man 11 (out October 2 for PC and consoles) at Capcom’s E3 booth yesterday, starring Block Man and Fuse Man, and am pleased to report that the game feels wonderful to play. It’s challenging but doesn’t seem cheap, taking the tough platforming that worked so well in old-school Mega Man and adding a level of polish that you’d expect from a 2018 game. When I did die, it wasn’t because of clunky physics or a death-trap that I’d have no way of knowing about, it was because I wasn’t good enough.

Yes, please, for the love of god. I feel like this is a sweet spot a lot of the Mega Man games miss (other than some of the very best ones). MM9 I thought was very good about it, but then MM10 just shit all over you like this. I want challenge that isn't because the game is unfair or cheap. I hope the rest of it lives up to this.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I played two full stages of Mega Man 11 (out October 2 for PC and consoles) at Capcom’s E3 booth yesterday, starring Block Man and Fuse Man, and am pleased to report that the game feels wonderful to play. It’s challenging but doesn’t seem cheap, taking the tough platforming that worked so well in old-school Mega Man and adding a level of polish that you’d expect from a 2018 game. When I did die, it wasn’t because of clunky physics or a death-trap that I’d have no way of knowing about, it was because I wasn’t good enough.

Yes, please, for the love of god. I feel like this is a sweet spot a lot of the Mega Man games miss (other than some of the very best ones). MM9 I thought was very good about it, but then MM10 just shit all over you like this. I want challenge that isn't because the game is unfair or cheap. I hope the rest of it lives up to this.

What I saw of Block Man's level seemed a touch easy, but that just means I'll probably go with the highest difficulty level. I'm thrilled by how accessible they're making the game.

Fuse Man's looked a bit harder.

Tim is on the Internet on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I should go back and play 9 and 10 again. I beat them when they first came out but can't remember anything about them for the life of me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    All I remember from MM9 is doing one cool thing in a level of Wily's Castle. Instead of freezing the lava jets with Concrete Shot I used Rush Spring to jump on the ladder above. Course the one directly above just leads to an E-Tank so you would have to drop back down to the lava jets and use Rush Spring quick enough to get to the ladder on the right before the lava kills you.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    McMoogle wrote: »
    I should go back and play 9 and 10 again. I beat them when they first came out but can't remember anything about them for the life of me.

10 was solid except for the weapons. 9 is the best game in the series.

• Options

Really? I felt like 9 was the one that was worse about this, seeing as it's got those things that literally drop down, grab you, and pull you into spikes and pits and such.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    10 had a fantastic wily stage 1.

9/10 both suck cause they don't have sliding though.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    9 and 10 deleted charging and sliding out of imo misguided loyalty to MM2. 11 is amusingly bringing both back.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    9 and 10 deleted charging and sliding out of imo misguided loyalty to MM2. 11 is amusingly bringing both back.

charging is something that I can take or leave, but sliding is just so useful and fun and adds more gameplay options.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    11 is looking more like what I wanted 9 and 10 to be.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    9 is my absolute favorite of the series, but I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't have been better if they had implemented sliding and charging.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

Really? I felt like 9 was the one that was worse about this, seeing as it's got those things that literally drop down, grab you, and pull you into spikes and pits and such.

Yeah, I felt 10 was more forgiving than 9.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    RockinX wrote: »
    9 is my absolute favorite of the series, but I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't have been better if they had implemented sliding and charging.

Sliding, at least, if not just for the aforementioned grabbycopters. Charging isn't my favourite mechanic; I think it encourages the player to not use acquired weapons.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I thought I would miss charging as I saw it as an iconic part of the character but 9 just felt right without it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options

Sliding, at least, if not just for the aforementioned grabbycopters. Charging isn't my favourite mechanic; I think it encourages the player to not use acquired weapons.

Some players like to experiment with different weapons, some people tend to stick with the default. I don't think buster charging is going to have a big impact on either player preferences. At least with charging, you have a weapon that's a little less shit while you wait to obtain the better ones.

The bigger offender for me are those early games without trigger switching. Especially when there were two pages to switch between. Sometimes I would suffer a weapon that wasn't ideal just to avoid hopping over to the menu again.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The problem I have with charged shots is it slows down the pace. It feels like less of a shooting game and more of a waiting game.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    It also forces you to abc (always be chargin) which can be annoying.

I personally just about never use weapons for the challenge, and I still prefer no charge. Slide though adds a ton of skill play to the game so I enjoy that

• Options
    Well that's the other great thing about charging. If you put it in, anyone who wants it, can use it, and everyone else can just not. That doesn't work the other way around.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    If they bring back charging, I want a passive autocharger so I don't have to constantly hold the button whenever I'm not shooting. Also, please make the sound effect subtle cause it gets pretty annoying in some of the games.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    If they bring back charging, I want a passive autocharger so I don't have to constantly hold the button whenever I'm not shooting. Also, please make the sound effect subtle cause it gets pretty annoying in some of the games.

Some of the later X games had the auto-charge feature.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I beat X4, and I know I tried X7 but lost interest in it pretty quickly. I don't think I played 5, 6, or 8 though.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    X8 is actually pretty decent.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Viskod wrote: »

So I've heard. I'd like to give it a shot, but I missed the boat on the original release and haven't gotten around to picking up one of the MMX collections yet.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    If they ever get around to doing X9 (they haven't yet, right? I didn't miss it?), I hope they lean even harder into Axl's Kirby-like gameplay for secrets. I felt like a super genius when I figured out what to do with the ability to salute.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

So I've heard. I'd like to give it a shot, but I missed the boat on the original release and haven't gotten around to picking up one of the MMX collections yet.

They're not out yet -- next month.
    Fry wrote: »
    If they ever get around to doing X9 (they haven't yet, right? I didn't miss it?), I hope they lean even harder into Axl's Kirby-like gameplay for secrets. I felt like a super genius when I figured out what to do with the ability to salute.

X9 is not an official thing yet, no. Hopefully sales of Mega Man X Legacy Collection will be good enough to do for it what MMLC did for MM11.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I plan on getting both X collections on the Switch when hey arrive next month. I already have the PS2 collection, but it doesn't have X8 and it's not as easy to setup and use as the Switch is now. Plus, I already have the original Mega Man collections on the Switch now and the portability factor really adds a lot to my enjoyment of the series. The controls in portable mode work really well for the NES originals and I'm looking forward to seeing how they work for the X saga of games.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    I plan on getting both X collections on the Switch when hey arrive next month. I already have the PS2 collection, but it doesn't have X8 and it's not as easy to setup and use as the Switch is now. Plus, I already have the original Mega Man collections on the Switch now and the portability factor really adds a lot to my enjoyment of the series. The controls in portable mode work really well for the NES originals and I'm looking forward to seeing how they work for the X saga of games.

Yeah thankfully handheld mode doesn't appear to have the latency that seems to present when playing them on the TV + Pro Controller (and I do have my setup configured to eliminate input/visual lag between the tv/receiver, only seems to crop up on the 8bit games maybe due to how they're emulated).

I only noticed it when I couldn't get past Bubble Man's platform section at the start of the level after like five attempts, but then banged it out as if it was nothing in handheld on the first try.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    New X Legacy Collection trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT1bo9KxtP0

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Naphtali wrote: »

Yeah thankfully handheld mode doesn't appear to have the latency that seems to present when playing them on the TV + Pro Controller (and I do have my setup configured to eliminate input/visual lag between the tv/receiver, only seems to crop up on the 8bit games maybe due to how they're emulated).

I only noticed it when I couldn't get past Bubble Man's platform section at the start of the level after like five attempts, but then banged it out as if it was nothing in handheld on the first try.

I used to think that complaints about HDTV signal delay was the gaming equivalent of audiophile nonsense until I tried to replay Mega Man 2 on Wii's virtual console. I could not get across the high single-square platforms to the E-Tank in Flash Man's stage for the life of me. Messed around with the TV's settings and turned a bunch of stuff off, tried again and it was a cakewalk. I've kept a "games" settings profile for any console inputs on my HDTV ever since.

So, does anyone have experience with the Steam versions of the legacy collections? Any input lag/screen delay there?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    New X Legacy Collection trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT1bo9KxtP0

Some of those look incredibly difficult.

• Options
    Those fights look fun, but they also look like a clusterfuck. Since I doubt they tweaked the attack AI that much, so it'll just be dealing with 2 bosses each doing their own thing with zero room to breathe.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Naphtali wrote: »

I used to think that complaints about HDTV signal delay was the gaming equivalent of audiophile nonsense until I tried to replay Mega Man 2 on Wii's virtual console. I could not get across the high single-square platforms to the E-Tank in Flash Man's stage for the life of me. Messed around with the TV's settings and turned a bunch of stuff off, tried again and it was a cakewalk. I've kept a "games" settings profile for any console inputs on my HDTV ever since.

I tried doing that with my new TV, but it seems like the game mode setting causes occasional screen tearing. I should try it again and see if it still happens.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, the Mega Man X Collection is doing something I hoped for but thought was impossible -- they made the Maverick names in X5 less stupid.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Well, the Mega Man X Collection is doing something I hoped for but thought was impossible -- they made the Maverick names in X5 less stupid.

RIP Duff McWhalen

Tim is on the Internet on
  • Options
    They were planning on doing something similar with the PS2 X collection. Go back and tweak the dialog, change the maverick names in X5, fix the jank controls in X6, and maybe even give the entire collection a dubbing. Then they backpedaled on it for whatever reason (rumor is they actually did program in fixes to X6's controls, but then some bug or something switched them back).

I'm not expecting a dub. But if they're changing names, then I hope they finally fix X6. Up and attack should not be the command to nose dive into the ground. Especially when there's a mechanic where you need to hold up to grab onto rails. Rails over pits I might add.

X7... you can't fix X7, so I'm not really expecting anything. :)