As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Closing thoughts on Azure Striker Gunvolt:
    Voltaic Chains is bullshit.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I question the localizers' choice to rename most of the super moves when the characters shout their original names in English anyway.

That said, "Luxcalibur" is definitely a more interesting name than "Sparkcalibur"

• BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Player skill or final boss skill? I've never bothered to use the player skill. The final boss skill is easy, since you have infinite air jumps -- there's always a little open area near the top of the screen, where you can just keep jumping until the chains go away.

Billmaan wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »
    Player skill or final boss skill? I've never bothered to use the player skill. The final boss skill is easy, since you have infinite air jumps -- there's always a little open area near the top of the screen, where you can just keep jumping until the chains go away.
    Final boss skill. I was about level 36 for the end boss, so I didn't even know Voltaic Chains was something that I could use myself. And while I twigged to the fact that I could float in that opening at the top of the screen pretty fast, my first several attempts to hover there failed because, rather than simply cap your maximum vertical height, the game prevents you from triggering your double-jump entirely while off the top of the screen. And if you just mash the jump button, you'll wind up falling so fast that you can drop into the chains in the time that it takes to raise your finger and hit the button again. And since the boss's version of the Orochi shots is such a son-of-a-bitch to avoid on its own, going through that gauntlet only to get OHKOed in the final segment because I had a minor rhythm failure multiple times was immensely frustrating.

Which, y'know, final boss and all. Still bullshit.

Finished Gunvolt.
    :(

I hope there's a sequel. This can't be the end of their story...

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Hopefully I'll be buying this tomorrow. I have missed Mega Man style games and with this I'll get two.

With that said, Shovel Knight is awesome and feels like a lost Mega Man title only with a shovel!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I've got a Mighty Gunvolt code I can't use because I'm a second class citizen and don't live in one of the regions of this world deemed worthy enough to be able to play it, so the first person to PM me gets it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    edited September 2014
    Mighty Gunvolt is kind of fun; a short but amusing 8-bit interlude. I've only cleared it with Gunvolt so far, but I like it. I just wish there were more stages, so I could fight 8-bit versions of all the Adepts. The final boss is a nice treat though.

I haven't played as Beck much. His slide is useful, but I'm not sure I like his dashing attack. Doesn't seem nearly as good as Beck's lightning beam, and that was very situational.

Ekoro's gameplay is amusing, being able to turn enemies into allies who shoot for you. I wonder what her original game is like.

*googles Gal Gun*

...oooooh. Oh. Well, that's a shame.

Enlong on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Mighty Gunvolt is kind of fun; a short but amusing 8-bit interlude. I've only cleared it with Gunvolt so far, but I like it. I just wish there were more stages, so I could fight 8-bit versions of all the Adepts. The final boss is a nice treat though.

I haven't played as Beck much. His slide is useful, but I'm not sure I like his dashing attack. Doesn't seem nearly as good as Beck's lightning beam, and that was very situational.

Ekoro's gameplay is amusing, being able to turn enemies into allies who shoot for you. I wonder what her original game is like.

*googles Gal Gun*

...oooooh. Oh. Well, that's a shame.

Yeah Beck was weird. I think he was supposed to be able to dash into enemies like in Mighty No. 9, but there is absolutely no way to tell when they are weak in this game, so it's pointless (I think I managed to do it once successfully).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Beck's dash is nothing more than a 3-damage headbutt attack. That's it. If you hit enemies with it successfully, you bounce off with a frame or two of invulnerability. It just happens to be really difficult to get the spacing right and also not get hit by whatever projectile the enemy is flinging at you while you're trying to set it up.

edited September 2014
    Oh hey, I just noticed. Copen uses his shield-thing for every one of his stolen attacks, except for Greed Snatcher, which he instead uses with his handgun. This explains why you can tag him with guns other than Naga if he's using Greed Snatcher.
    And also why you-know-who doesn't have anything but Greed Snatcher

I like the idea of Copen as a boss fight. It's like you're fighing Mega Man (X).

Enlong on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Mega Man games have stories?

Don't be silly; games don't have stories.

By the way, those curious to know more about Mighty No. 9 can find a new interview with Inafune here.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    New update, new level! Mighty No. 2's stage is now open!

I actually just got around to playing this. Unfortunately I have strange mappings on my PS2 controller (with USB adapter) - jump on Circle, fire on Triangle, dash on L2 and pause on Select makes me feel like I'm learning to play the piano all over again. On top of that, No. 2 is no pushover and I've gotten dunked by her at least twenty times by now. It doesn't help that I abhor mash-button-to-escape mechanics but I also can't figure out how to get through her low-health attack.

EDIT: And of course I figure it all out with two more tries. No. 2 is in the can!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    This isn't strictly Mega Man-related, but I just got my copy of "Breath of Fire: Official Complete Works" and have discovered that Keiji Inafune apparently created the concept art of the first BoF game's player characters (it doesn't list him, but the art style looks just like early Mega Man and Mega Man X artwork).

• mechapopmechapop webcomic artist/musician Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The first Mega Man for the NES is the only game that ever made me actually cry hard tears. To this day I still can't beat it and can barely beat the final level of Mega Man II. When they made the switch to beautiful 16-bit in 1993 for the SNES I was quite pleased. I'm a huge fan of the Zero/ZX games for the GBA and DS...probably more than actual Mega Man starring games. Also love the 2003 Dreamwave and current Archie comics.

Slap Zappy daily gamer/geek webcomic
    http://slapzappy.tumblr.com/
    slapzforumbanner1.png
    mechapop wrote: »
    Also love the 2003 Dreamwave and current Archie comics.

Mixed feelings about Dreamwave's. Didn't start feeling much like Mega Man to me until around the third issue, and there only ended up being four.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    Okay I don't go to the MN9 forums and haven't been following this gamergate bullshit so can somebody tell me what the hell is going on all of a sudden?

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I don't think there's anything sudden about that.

uyvfOQy.png
    Didn't hear about people getting refunds until a week or so ago.

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    I just got an email from Kickstarter, seems they decided to have a survey or whether we want English or Japanese voice acting more, and the goal was bumped down to $100,000. They also laid out the costs for having voice acting, which I thought was pretty interesting. I'd link to it, but posting from my phone makes that a pain in the ass.

So which do you guys think they should prioritize? Japanese or English?

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    English voice acting has always been kinda lame in mega man games. At least in japanese I can't tell if the voice acting is good or not!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Okay I don't go to the MN9 forums and haven't been following this gamergate bullshit so can somebody tell me what the hell is going on all of a sudden?

tl;dr
    "A lesson in how not to manage a community: Be a woman"

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I just got an email from Kickstarter, seems they decided to have a survey or whether we want English or Japanese voice acting more, and the goal was bumped down to $100,000. They also laid out the costs for having voice acting, which I thought was pretty interesting. I'd link to it, but posting from my phone makes that a pain in the ass.

So which do you guys think they should prioritize? Japanese or English?

This was a tough call for me, but ultimately I'm with Fireflash, With English Voiceacting I would most likely end up not liking it or picking at it in some fashion with this sort of game. With Japanese voice acting I basically wouldn't know any better and for me at least it would fit the style more and be more in line with my expectations.

So I went for Japanese.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

tl;dr

Ugh, Gamergate bullshit strikes again.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

tl;dr

No, the fact that she said she got in because of a friend shows she lacks some common sense. Also, if you haven't played Mega Man games before, you probably should after being notified that you were hired at least and you probably shouldn't say it in public.

The backlash she got from posting that female Mega Man drawing, though, was uncalled for.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    people shouldn't let their beliefs get in the way of doing their goddamn jobs

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »

tl;dr

No, the fact that she said she got in because of a friend shows she lacks some common sense. Also, if you haven't played Mega Man games before, you probably should after being notified that you were hired at least and you probably shouldn't say it in public.

The backlash she got from posting that female Mega Man drawing, though, was uncalled for.

Who gives a shit whether or not she's played Mega Man before? She's a community manager, not a developer.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

tl;dr

Who gives a shit whether or not she's played Mega Man before? She's a community manager, not a developer.
    The community does. That means she should get to know how the community she's managing feels about the game series her company is cloning and know at least something about the game. If she doesn't want to do that, then just don't say you haven't played it but watch a few let's plays on Youtube or something.

People don't need to know you haven't played Mega Man because the community is going to feel they're not being represented correctly. And especially, if you got a job because your boyfriend has some power, then don't say you got your job that way.

RockinX on

tl;dr

Part of the job of a community manager is to relay feedback from the community to the developers. Having never played Mega Man before makes that part of her job significantly harder.

edited October 2014

tl;dr

Part of the job of a community manager is to relay feedback from the community to the developers. Having never played Mega Man before makes that part of her job significantly harder.

Not really? You get feedback, you relay it. You don't have to have encyclopedic knowledge of Yamato Man's attacks for that.

cloudeagle on
    cloudeagle wrote: »

tl;dr

Not really? You get feedback, you relay it. You don't have to have encyclopedic knowledge of Yamato Man's attacks for that.

Were she familiar with Mega Man, she would have an easier time filtering the feedback though, deciding what's important and what isn't and recognizing patterns and common complaints and suggestions.

tl;dr

Were she familiar with Mega Man, she would have an easier time filtering the feedback though, deciding what's important and what isn't and recognizing patterns and common complaints and suggestions.

tl;dr

It's possible to recognize patterns and common complaints and suggestions without knowing about Mega Man. If a bunch of people say "I wish Mighty's shots moved faster," a person without MM knowledge would recognize that as easily as someone with MM knowledge. I mean, I know nothing about sports, but I'd recognize it if a bunch of Raiders fans started griping about penalties.

edited October 2014
    Voted for Japanese because HEY BASS (fish) WHY MUS I FITE YOU WE AH NOT EHNUMIES

tl;dr

The article read more to me like: "A lesson in how not to manage a community: Don't go around banning everyone you don't like and then go around yelling about how retarded they are on Twitter while blocking them not just from your own twitter but also from the site's official one for good measure".

Weisskaiser on

tl;dr

tl;dr

It's possible to recognize patterns and common complaints and suggestions without knowing about Mega Man. If a bunch of people say "I wish Mighty's shots moved faster," a person without MM knowledge would recognize that as easily as someone with MM knowledge. I mean, I know nothing about sports, but I'd recognize it if a bunch of Raiders fans started griping about penalties.

Well yeah, I'm not saying it's impossible, but she certainly would have an easier time had she played MM before.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Something like the last 4 MM games have had absolutely fantastic English VA work.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Voted for Japanese because HEY BASS (fish) WHY MUS I FITE YOU WE AH NOT EHNUMIES

...now I want English dubbing.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I voted for English pretty hard

Because it's not the 90s anymore

dN0T6ur.png
    So, I recommend Mega Man fans head to The Mega Man Network at about noon EST today. Have big news off of NYCC; I'd say more now if I could, but I can't, and I likely won't be here when the story goes live. ;)

In the meantime, I leave you with the other big announcement that's supposed to get more detail there later...

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    So, I recommend Mega Man fans head to The Mega Man Network at about noon EST today. Have big news off of NYCC; I'd say more now if I could, but I can't, and I likely won't be here when the story goes live. ;)

In the meantime, I leave you with the other big announcement that's supposed to get more detail there later...

Capcom decided to give a shit about Mega Man again? Are we finally gonna see Legends 3?! I need answers, man!

Capcom decided to give a shit about Mega Man again? Are we finally gonna see Legends 3?! I need answers, man!

Well, I can do at least that much for you:

1) No more than usual, I'm afraid. At least with regards to this.

2) I would love that. I've heard of no such thing, however.