As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Is it weird that them fixing the stupid X5 Maverick names makes me want to buy this more? Can they also fix the horrible localizations while they're in there? :P (maybe redub the anime cutscenes :3)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I really hope they keep the Japanese opening to X3 this time around.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JS4iMSC_i8

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Riokenn wrote: »

That's pretty cool, but feels a bit dated even by '95 anime standards. Also, kind of a weird choice to almost exclusively feature stuff from X1 & X2. Still, I'd be down for having stuff like that in the Legacy collection, even if it's just in an "extras" feature.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

That's pretty cool, but feels a bit dated even by '95 anime standards. Also, kind of a weird choice to almost exclusively feature stuff from X1 & X2. Still, I'd be down for having stuff like that in the Legacy collection, even if it's just in an "extras" feature.

Well... it was the opening for X3. Not like they had a lot of previous games to work with. :)

It also apparently came out just 4 months after the SNES version, which is a hell of a lot faster turnabout than I thought it was. I thought it was more like a year or something.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Sadly X3 is based on the SNES version, not PS1

https://www.destructoid.com/mega-man-x-legacy-collection-s-x3-will-be-based-on-the-snes-port-498581.phtml

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The PS1 version runs a lot worse than the SNES version, or so I thought.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Well... it was the opening for X3. Not like they had a lot of previous games to work with. :)

It also apparently came out just 4 months after the SNES version, which is a hell of a lot faster turnabout than I thought it was. I thought it was more like a year or something.

What I meant was; it's odd to feature scenes and characters from previous games (especially because it's not a recap of past events), rather than preview things you would encounter in the game it's an intro for. Like, don't cartoon openings usually show things from the season you are watching, not previous seasons?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Mega Man X: Mega Mission Announced by UDON Entertainment
    Previously unpublished in English, Hitoshi Ariga's Mega Man X: Mega Mission is *finally* headed stateside courtesy of UDON Entertainment. The publisher announced at SDCC '18 that the first full-color, 48-page issue arrives in January, 2019.

Mega Mission was originally published in Hitoshi Ariga's Rockman Remix manga compilation in 1996. The story is an adaptation of the Mega Mission trading cards by Bandai, which chronicles a unique storyline that took place between Mega Man X2 and Mega Man X3. If you want to brush up on the cards' storyline before January, check out Number 20's coverage here.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That reminds me, the new Mega Man cartoon will premiere on Cartoon Network August 5.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    What the fuck? They took save states out completely? Well guess I'm not buying this, then.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    What the fuck? They took save states out completely? Well guess I'm not buying this, then.

They didn't take them out; they never put them in.

They kind of glossed over the fact Capcom did this collection and the MMLC was done by a different group

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

They kind of glossed over the fact Capcom did this collection and the MMLC was done by a different group

Which makes the lack of save states just plain baffling.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    It's a much better showing than Mega Man Legacy Collection 2, which was very bare bones compared to the first one. This one has a ton of extras within it as well as versions of the games that look and run better than they did on the X Collection, at least on my PS2. Not having at least checkpoint save states is quite annoying though.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Which makes the lack of save states just plain baffling.

Current generations must suffer like we suffered.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Yes thank you, obviously I was referring to the fact that the previous Legacy games had save states, at least of some type.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Best Buy delayed my delivery and now I won't get this until tomorrow. :(

I want to play Mega Man X.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

As noted, even MMLC2 by Capcom had something, so that wouldn't seem to be the determining factor.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I kind of assumed there must have been some esoteric design reason why save states couldn't be in the second collection, due to them being SNES/PSX/Whatever 9 and 10 are. An NES game is so small it can fit into a system's RAM, so on the fly rewinding is easy. Logically the same would be true of an SNES game, but I don't know. But MM8, 9, and 10 are probably designed so weird that a rewind/savestate system just wouldn't work without extensive overhauls of the game's code.

With the X collection... same deal? Again, gut reaction is that it should be easy and trivial to do with the SNES games, but it's another story with the rest. As far as not even having Legacy Collection 2's "checkpoint" system, honestly the later X games did this by default, where lives were virtually useless because running out and continuing just put you in the same place as dying normally.

I'll lament their removal, but I'm not overly worried. The X games aren't so shittilly designed that you almost need the crutch of a rewind/savestate system. *cough* Well, I say that, but for the games that are that shittily designed (X5 and X6), they had a lives system that functioned the same as the checkpoint system anyways.

I'm cringing at X7 though. Who knows how that's gonna go... I do remember beating it, but...

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    The challenge mode in this is somewhat brutal.

Also I am not a huge fan of the fact that X1-3 are simply emulated ROMs; the old PS2/GCN X collection actually removed the slowdown from the old SNES games which is present in this current set.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I heard some reviewers are saying the SNES slowdown is actually worse in this collection compared to original hardware.

• Options
    I went through X1 and I didn't notice anything egregious.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I can't decide if I should get the X Collections for Switch or Steam. Does either version have any oddities like slowdown or unresponsive controls?

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I've played some of the first X collection on Switch

I experienced some slowdown, but I thiiiink that switching the graphics filter to scanline mode eliminated all the slowdown that wasn't present in the original SNES release

(all the slowdown present in the original game is still here)

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    What's the difference between switching the versions of the games? Other than the name changing to Rock Man.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    What's the difference between switching the versions of the games? Other than the name changing to Rock Man.

Just region differences. One’s Japanese and the other North American.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I don't know what I'm going to do with myself if there's no option to disable voice acting.

Probably adopt "hoi hoi HOIII" into my vernacular but be real bummed about it.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I don't know what I'm going to do with myself if there's no option to disable voice acting.

Probably adopt "hoi hoi HOIII" into my vernacular but be real bummed about it.
    Yeah, its the worst part of replaying MM8 and MMX7.

I don't expect it to be any different here, sadly.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    On the positive side, those bosses look pretty freaking interesting. Boss design is a huge aspect of MM games and I like what I see there.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    On the positive side, those bosses look pretty freaking interesting. Boss design is a huge aspect of MM games and I like what I see there.

My only issue is that they're generally unreasonably tall. Designs like Fuse Man's and Blast Man's look like they should be about as tall as Mega Man, but then they're double that.

• Options
    Gonna end up beating Mega Man X for the first time ever tonight. *coughrookiehuntermodecough*

I don't know how anyone would've found the hadouken back in the day without someone telling them how to do it. Unless you make that jump 4 times weeks or months apart in separate playthroughs and it still counts?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Nintendo Power was the only way to get it. Even then, I think they were missing one or two of the key points because I could never get it to work. I got lucky like 2 times out of 100 playthroughs and found it.

Was it Shoryuken that was in X2? I remember that being SUPER op when I did get it.

• Options
    Well, I'm glad I have google! I found most of the upgrades/hearts/sub tanks without looking them up. I did have to use google-fu for the tank in Flame Mammoth's stage, and Storm Eagle's heart container, though.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Finding all the regular upgrades is not an unreasonable ask. But after you've done that, needing to go back to Armadillo's stage and replay the final section multiple times is kinda garbage (and then I think there's also some sort of condition about having enough current health when you get there, to troll you?). At least in future games there's a reasonable "go here for secrets" flag to get the final secret upgrade.

Shoryuken and hadoken are both super OP.

Fry on
  • Options
    According to the wiki I used, you have to have all the suit upgrades, heart containers, and sub tanks before you can get the hadouken. Then you have to play that Armadillo stage section and make the jump at the end 4 times with the upgrade being there on the 5th. There was a notation at the bottom of the thing I read that mentioned there is no requirement on how much heath you are supposed to have, and the the four tanks don't need to be full.

Dunno how true that all is or not, but it was there the 5th time I made the jump. Sigma is allegedly immune to the attack as well, or so I've read.

Just have to do Sigma's fortress and MMX will be my first ever completed Mega Man game. I love them, and have played almost all of the MM games, but they're too tought for me =/ Yay easy mode! Though, I have a better understanding of X's stages now, and a good path for working through the bosses so I'm going to try to beat it on the regular difficulty as well. You don't get the "beat Mega Man X" trophy for playing on rookie hunter mode :P

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I hope Block Man has minecraft powers.

Would be fun to fight a robot master thats constantly trying to trap you.

He'll probably just throw shit at you though like Guts Man.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I don't like that they did not put everything on the cart with Switch.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Dunno how true that all is or not, but it was there the 5th time I made the jump. Sigma is allegedly immune to the attack as well, or so I've read.

It's not so much that he's immune to the hadoken, but that you can't reach his weakpoint with it, since you have to be on the ground to use it.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »

It's not so much that he's immune to the hadoken, but that you can't reach his weakpoint with it, since you have to be on the ground to use it.

I'm fairly sure it can, but getting up onto an arm, letting the fireball fly at just the right height, and doing all of that without ever getting hit once, it's just too big of an ask.

It sure as hell puts down the dog and form 1 Sigma though.