As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Dunno how true that all is or not, but it was there the 5th time I made the jump. Sigma is allegedly immune to the attack as well, or so I've read.

It's not so much that he's immune to the hadoken, but that you can't reach his weakpoint with it, since you have to be on the ground to use it.

You could try the ice sled trick to do it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    You can Hadoken his last form. It's just hard. You have to be on his hand at just the right height.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Gonna end up beating Mega Man X for the first time ever tonight. *coughrookiehuntermodecough*

I don't know how anyone would've found the hadouken back in the day without someone telling them how to do it. Unless you make that jump 4 times weeks or months apart in separate playthroughs and it still counts?

Yeah, unless the power stayed on all those weeks or months, that's not happening. Hadoken doesn't save, not even in this collection.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I've never met anyone who claimed to discover the hadouken organically

I myself read about it in an issue of Game Players in like 1994

I think it's possible, but the main thing is that it's pretty clear when you've got all the upgrades, and by that point you don't actually have any reason to go to the end of Armadillo's stage anymore

Shorty on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Having gotten it myself a day ago... yeah. Ride the last cart, jump off at the end and reach the top wall with the health capsule, then die in the pit and repeat.

Five times.

There's no way you'd find it organically, because why would you ever do this 5 times in a row? It sounds exactly like all those bullshit playground secrets you've ever heard, like getting the triforce in Zelda or seeing Lara naked in Tomb Raider. This one just happens to freakin' work.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Having gotten it myself a day ago... yeah. Ride the last cart, jump off at the end and reach the top wall with the health capsule, then die in the pit and repeat.

Five times.

There's no way you'd find it organically, because why would you ever do this 5 times in a row? It sounds exactly like all those bullshit playground secrets you've ever heard, like getting the triforce in Zelda or seeing Lara naked in Tomb Raider. This one just happens to freakin' work.

But you do get the triforce in Zelda. Also in the second & third Zelda.
    Yes, I know you're talking about the rumor for OoT. I'm just joking because when I was on playgrounds there was only LoZ, AoL, and ALttP.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Five times.

You can just use the escape thing to quit the level, or just exit through the boss room. You don't have to waste all those lives.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

Five times.

You can just use the escape thing to quit the level, or just exit through the boss room. You don't have to waste all those lives.

You'd have to play through the entire level again each time though. I'd assume you'd have to do this all in one "run" of the level, but if what you say is true then that's even more crazy, because who the hell would play the level 5 times and check that specific spot each time?

And luckily at the start of the level, there's a old MM style bat that nearly always drops 1ups when killed, so getting the lives isn't that big a deal.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

Five times.

You'd have to play through the entire level again each time though. I'd assume you'd have to do this all in one "run" of the level, but if what you say is true then that's even more crazy, because who the hell would play the level 5 times and check that specific spot each time?

And luckily at the start of the level, there's a old MM style bat that nearly always drops 1ups when killed, so getting the lives isn't that big a deal.

Just about the only thing resembling a clue there is, really.

I’m probably gonna bite on this, even though Octopath has its hooks in me.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So... what's the verdict on the MMXLC? I know there's lot of skuttlebutt on issues with X1-3 (people claiming frame pacing issues in the emulation, input lag, more/same slowdowns as the SNES versions), just curious how bad they are in reality. Also if they're cropping up in handheld or docked... At least in my setup even with Game Mode on, MMLC1 had a lot of input delay with the pro controller. Only handheld played normally for me.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    So... what's the verdict on the MMXLC? I know there's lot of skuttlebutt on issues with X1-3 (people claiming frame pacing issues in the emulation, input lag, more/same slowdowns as the SNES versions), just curious how bad they are in reality. Also if they're cropping up in handheld or docked... At least in my setup even with Game Mode on, MMLC1 had a lot of input delay with the pro controller. Only handheld played normally for me.

I've played up to X5. They all feel fine. I feel like maybe there was some weird bits of slowdown in X2 and X3 for maybe half a second in areas that didn't seem to warrant it? I don't know the games like the back of my hand to say otherwise. Everything just felt like regular ol' SNES slowdown. Played on both the Switch and the TV, and it felt fine, but your TV and lag may vary. X4 and 5 play perfectly fine. Their loading times are non existent.

The overall collection though is a bit weird. Enough changes that they can't really be called "Definitive" versions.

-The Japanese versions of X4 to 8 had licensed J-Pop music intros (X6's was left in the US release because of how damned rushed it was). They've all been gutted and replaced, even if you set the games to Japanese. Almost certainly licensing issues abound.

-For X5, they've not just replaced the "Guns n Roses" names back to the original names, they've also replaced two text errors. "Crystal ball" used to be called "Cristal ball", and a piece of dialog referring to Launch Octopus called him "Octopardo". So they clearly had the ability to go in and change the script text... but that's all they seemed to do. The rest of the text is the same old "technically competent but clearly needs polish" localization that games generally got back in those days. I briefly checked X6... and that terrible translation is left intact ("There is no one else is left to fight."). So they fixed 2 errors in total and left the rest, including an entire game's worth. ...Yeah I dunno either.

-I don't remember the first X collection much. But if I recall correctly, in that version, in X1 X didn't shout "hadoken!", and X6 had the Japanese voice track yanked out. Both are back here. So that's neat.

It's overall nothing that terribly bothers me much. They're still the MMX games, and they all play exactly like I'd expect them to so far.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I’m enjoying playing the games on my Switch, but I will say that handheld mode has led to some serious cramping with my preferred control setup (dash on right shoulder). Switching to Pro controller fixed that immediately, but I wasn’t expecting to have that kind of trouble. Wish I could use the bumper instead. Pretty minor overall. All the lag I’ve noticed has generally been where I expect it, and I’ve played the game a fair amount. Some areas have always been a bit of a mess/awesome slow motion arena.

• Options
    I've been dicking around with the "Rookie Hunter mode", and I'm starting to think it makes this version of the games superior to any other. It doesn't seem to do much in the SNES games, just reduce the damage you take. It's oddly uneven too. Everything in X1 takes off 1 damage pip, but in X3, the game where some attacks would take off half your life bar, lots of attacks just straight up do no damage and you're literally invincible (other than the hitstun).

X4-6 though get fancy with it. Bottomless pits don't kill, you're just teleported to dry land with no damage. Spikes no longer kill, they just do a small chunk of damage. Ride bike stages are slowed way down. You get more shots per weapon. And they just give you 9 lives at the start of every stage (though lives were worthless at this point because continuing just put you back where you would have started anyways). And you can snap all of this on and off whenever you want. There are sections in X6 full of blind jumps and level design where somebody wanked off with the spike tool, and you can just say "Fuck this" to those sections. Sections where you have to grab wires over pits by holding up, and if you swing Zero's sword then he'll nosedive into the abyss, and now you'll just get teleported back rather than pointlessly die. Still doesn't excuse the slipshod design, but at least now you can mitigate it when you just want to play the game.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    on MMXLC for Switch:

1) the slowdown that existed in the original SNES release is present

2) there is also more slowdown, though it seems to me that you can eliminate it by switching to the scanline filter, or no filter

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I've been dicking around with the "Rookie Hunter mode", and I'm starting to think it makes this version of the games superior to any other. It doesn't seem to do much in the SNES games, just reduce the damage you take. It's oddly uneven too. Everything in X1 takes off 1 damage pip, but in X3, the game where some attacks would take off half your life bar, lots of attacks just straight up do no damage and you're literally invincible (other than the hitstun).

X4-6 though get fancy with it. Bottomless pits don't kill, you're just teleported to dry land with no damage. Spikes no longer kill, they just do a small chunk of damage. Ride bike stages are slowed way down. You get more shots per weapon. And they just give you 9 lives at the start of every stage (though lives were worthless at this point because continuing just put you back where you would have started anyways). And you can snap all of this on and off whenever you want. There are sections in X6 full of blind jumps and level design where somebody wanked off with the spike tool, and you can just say "Fuck this" to those sections. Sections where you have to grab wires over pits by holding up, and if you swing Zero's sword then he'll nosedive into the abyss, and now you'll just get teleported back rather than pointlessly die. Still doesn't excuse the slipshod design, but at least now you can mitigate it when you just want to play the game.

I'd really like an option select for that. Like "spikes do no damage" on or off. "Pits kill" on or off. "Enemy damage" with a Low-Med-High switch (High is the normal for normal difficulty). I found I enjoyed Sonic 2 a lot more with the ability to level select back to the place I Game Overed (available on Sonic 2 3D with no cheats) and Castlevania a lot more with Save States so I can learn each room without redoing the whole game (on 3DS VC).

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I ended up not beating MMX on Friday like I thought I would. That spider boss in Sigma's fortress was giving me some trouble. Then a super nasty thunderstorm forced me to unplug all my shit and cower downstairs... then I learned that the hadouken isnt a permanent upgrade. That's not a huge deal, but it did sour me a little bit and I went back to No Man's Sky :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    X6 is still a bitch and half to get through normally.

X6 on Rookie mode straight up adds platforms to the long bottomless stretch in Rainy Turtloid's stage, but more importantly adds a floor to Gate's boss fight, which is just fucking gamechanging. I think they also changed attack patterns in some enemies, because the mantis enemies in the amazon would shoot homing boomerangs, and they didn't home anymore. Difficulty is still a little screwy though. There's a long crusher section with Zero before Gate, and they decidedly didn't turn off the instant kill on it. And you have to do it all in one go, including a bit at the end that's a hair longer than it needs to be so god help you if you get clipped. But overall it's the first instance I've seen where they've physically altered the level design, even if it was just slightly. I did X's stages on normal mode, so I'll have to see if they changed anything there, because the first stage is impossible without shadow armor (you have to climb on spikes), and the second stage is impossible with shadow armor (you need to air dash over a pit at one point).

It's also a little disconcerting that they had the ability to go into the game code and change things like level design and some spelling errors... but X6's embarrassing localization is still left untouched. They fixed "cristal ball" in X5, but left "Would you like to overwright your save". Go figure.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Mega Man 11 balloon attack footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zalt6e5h0JU

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Balloons, Wily's most diabolical creation.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Man, I forgot how...sloppy X4 is.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Sloppy, but X4 is still tied as my favorite with X1. God the game is so good and the writing is so bad.

I mean, what am I even fighting for?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Sloppy? X4? In what way?

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The first two episodes of the new show are up, as are the other eight episodes if you have a cable login.

Someone else needs to take one for the team on this one; I'm still recovering from the first episode of the new TMNT.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    And it redirects to CartoonNetwork.ca for me, which is funny, given it wasn't that long ago we didn't even have Cartoon Network here.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    So looks like a Mega Man 11 demo may be coming next month

https://gematsu.com/2018/08/mega-man-11-demo-launches-september-4

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Found via ResetEra, some data on input lag/latency for the X Legacy collection on various platforms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-zTRrolyUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvZkty_FQHA

The tl;dr is that holy shit there is a lot of input lag, especially on the PS4 and Switch versions. It isn't enough to ruin anything, but it definitely explains why X1 on my PS4 Pro felt so weird in places, and why I was having an insanely difficult time making jumps that I previously never ever had trouble with (the arm upgrade in Flame Mammoth's stage being the big one). It also gives some idea as to why I struggle so much with doing anything with precision in the challenge mode, as it also has a ton of input lag on the PS4.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'm really kinda disappointed in the X collection. I know I saw some gaming purists actually happy that there were no save states, but it really just highlights how lacking the password system was in the first place. You lose your sub-tank energy and your special upgrades (grind grind grind). And don't you start at Sigma stage 1 regardless of where you left off?

Basically you're just better off not really using the save system and just never quitting the game until you finish, which really sucks if you're in the mood to play something else on the system.

Dirty on
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    So the new Megaman slot machine (ie, the one with female Dr Light) in Japan has a website, which includes a trailer and a look at the game's sexy new versions of Light, Roll and Dr Wily, and his new gambling themed robots.

http://slot-rockman-a.jp/

I gotta admit, I kinda dig the designs.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    So the new Megaman slot machine (ie, the one with female Dr Light) in Japan has a website, which includes a trailer and a look at the game's sexy new versions of Light, Roll and Dr Wily, and his new gambling themed robots.

http://slot-rockman-a.jp/

I gotta admit, I kinda dig the designs.

I had the exact opposite reaction. I hate it in a visceral way that I don't really understand.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Eh, I didn't really have much of a reaction one way or the other. Is it supposed to be an EXE or Starforce related thing? Because it definitely looks more like that style than any other Mega Man.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Why is Mega Man hanging out with C. Viper and Stan Lee?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Right, though? I was just about to say something about C. Viper.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

Wow, I didn't catch that at first but you're totally right.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    That's a very 1980s version of a dystopian future-style Dr. Wily.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    That's a very 1980s version of a dystopian future-style Dr. Wily.

Given all the goofy, over-the-top stuff he's designed throughout the series, it seems appropriate for Wily to have a cheesy look like that. But I kinda hate the hair, there's something about the bangs. He needs to be bald up-top.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The constant talking is going to get super annoying. :?

Other than that, it keeps looking great. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Let's hope they don't chatter through the entire stages like a certain other Mega Man-esque game.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Let's hope they don't chatter through the entire stages like a certain other Mega Man-esque game.

The problem with that was they'd start up an entire conversation in the middle of the fight, and obscure the sound tells of the boss.

All the chatter here though are the sound tells. So it's fine.

Do whatever you want during the stage, but keep the soliloquies out of the fights.