As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I love that weapon. I'm a sucker for alt-items that move your character. This looks like the Propeller Blade from Shovel Knight and I abused the hell outta that thing.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The constant talking is going to get super annoying. :?

Let's hope they don't chatter through the entire stages like a certain other Mega Man-esque game.
    "Hoo! Ha! Wah! CHARGE SHOT!"

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The constant talking is going to get super annoying. :?

Let's hope they don't chatter through the entire stages like a certain other Mega Man-esque game.
    "Hoo! Ha! Wah! CHARGE SHOT!"

"Stop it!!"

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    PS one classic. The never ported that feature to PS4. Why?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

A couple things to note:

- The description of the demo says the included stage is Bounce Man's, so I guess he's confirmed.
    - You can mute voices.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    (snip)

A couple things to note:

- The description of the demo says the included stage is Bounce Man's, so I guess he's confirmed.
    - You can mute voices.

One more: take a second in a safe spot to get a feel for how far you're knocked back when hit. It's quite intense. I'm sure there's an upgrade to reduce it, but it's not in the demo.

Tim is on the Internet on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    So how is it?

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    So how is it?

Played it for about an hour, didn't beat the demo level (didn't make it to the boss yet). Controlling Mega Man feels stiff and a little unresponsive, he feels a little heavy. The movement on ladders is really bad and stiff and there's a ton of delay compared to the NES titles' ladder movement. The jumping shots feel a little off too, it feels like it is going lower than I expect it to compared to the NES games, but I haven't played the NES ones or Mega Man 9/10 in some years. When you get hit you get stunned like the old games, but instead of going backwards you stay stationary, but it feels like you are stunned longer compared to the NES games, but I could be remembering incorrectly. Mega Man's voice does start to get a little annoying, but apparently you can turn it off.

The game has 4 different difficulty settings (3 of which are selectable). The "normal" mode has a pretty good challenge. The shooting feels fine other than the jumping shot. They actually give you 2 different weapons already from the mega buster, which i didn't notice until I pressed start. The game ran fine, I didn't notice any slowdown. The graphics style feels a little plain and too clean, but it's acceptable. If you've played Mega Man before, you'll be able to jump right in and get going.

My overall impression so far: it's alright. Nothing earth shattering.

EDIT: looks like I'm mistaken, you do actually go backwards when getting hit but it's sudden.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Being able to change special weapons with the right analog stick is nice, but I sometimes accidentally hit it with my hand.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    They definitely designed some of the platforming segments with using the boost gear in mind, and actually it does add a little tactical element to it ("will I have enough juice for this bit", etc). As for stiffness, it isn't that bad. You can tell they were trying to capture the NES style of movement and I think they've more or less succeeded; perhaps too much so.

I think over all it's okay. It's got plenty of nods to the old style games while having some new stuff to offer/QoL changes (Rush on a hotkey, weapon switching on shoulder buttons, boost modes). I'm not going to go cancel my preorder or anything.

I'll just say this overall - this is no Mighty No. 9 situation. This actually feels decent, and hopefully the whole package is as good or better than this vertical slice.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Finding all these news stories that say the demo is out on PS4, can't find it anywhere on the store or the game's page though.

EDIT: sounds like its only up on europe for now. Nuts.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is this the same demo they had at PAX that you had to beat to earn a pin?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Demo was alright, wish they'd add in Superhero mode since there is only one stage to beat.
    Gear system was cool. Definitely used speed a bunch of times that it almost felt like cheating. I rarely ever used power but something tells me I should have used it against phase 2 of Blockman.
    Phase 3 was funny, I kept waiting for him to stop to attack but it took a while to realize he wouldn't.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Theres an evil version of Eddie in this!

Little bastard stole my 1-up.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I just saw a gif of Mega Man jumping into the boss door, then just falling down and walking through. And reflexively snarled "Fuck you" at the screen.

Literally unplayable.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I just saw a gif of Mega Man jumping into the boss door, then just falling down and walking through. And reflexively snarled "Fuck you" at the screen.

Literally unplayable.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Its interesting what’s important in a series and how that can go by the publisher/designers themselves.

I’m usually too “grown up” to care about such things but even I’m like NO YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN THE FACE OF YOUR FATHER—

Over a entrance of a pretend robot guy.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I absolutely loved this demo. All the little QOL tweaks are great. I love the right stick weapon switching. This just jumped to the top of my holiday hype list.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Reynolds wrote: »

Literally unplayable.

Come on man what the bloody hell? I have to imagine that'll get fixed. Stupid as it may be, it's freakin' MegaMan.....man, put some effort into it at least.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Well, I can safely say its not going to end up being one of the easier MM games.

I may just be rusty but that stage was crushing my balls abit. Visually, stage designs seem pretty generic and uninteresting so far but the animation quality of the characters are pretty good. Everybody except Mega Man looks great for some reason.

You can also tell they're trying to shake things up a lil. The doublegear system allows for new approaches to enemies and how they can be designed (like some moving too fast to be reliably taken down at normal speed).
    Block Man himself has sort of a Tinker Knightesque encounter where he has more than one form and life bar, something we haven't really seen from a robot master before.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    I'm not really interested in the double gear system - the challenge level seems pretty tough without it and I kinda like where it's at.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I am curious as to how Bass absues this new gear thingie the robot masters have

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I am curious as to how Bass absues this new gear thingie the robot masters have
    I really hope we get some Bass and Protoman DLC for this.

Going to go ahead and assume they aren't in at launch as playable characters, Bass better be a boss fight at some point though in MM's campaign.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Nope; PAX had more levels. In fact, it differs a bit from E3's demo, too.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Just beat the demo without using the gears. The switch feels really cramped to me these days, I hope someday Nintendo releases an alternate, larger joycon with a real d-pad and larger buttons.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Just beat the demo without using the gears. The switch feels really cramped to me these days, I hope someday Nintendo releases an alternate, larger joycon with a real d-pad and larger buttons.

Just get a Pro Controller?

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Maybe he wants to play it in handheld mode?

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah the Switch is so unergonomic I might have to invest in one of those shells that makes it bulkier and easier to grip

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

The joycons we're designed by Nintendo to also be used as two controllers for quick two player multiplayer and for Nintendo consistency > accessibility so that'll never happen.

Your best bet is a third party produced joy con.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    darunia106 wrote: »

The joycons we're designed by Nintendo to also be used as two controllers for quick two player multiplayer and for Nintendo consistency > accessibility so that'll never happen.

But those will literally eat your battery life and are handheld mode only so the results are mixed

• Options

But those will literally eat your battery life and are handheld mode only so the results are mixed

It's either that or nothing.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options

Well pro controller with the kick stand.

• Options

It's hard to do that when you don't have a flat surface to play on like if you're in bed or on the bus.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular

In a world where the internet is everywhere and continuous integration build servers exist, it baffles me that we still see different builds of games shown off at the same time.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »

In a world where the internet is everywhere and continuous integration build servers exist, it baffles me that we still see different builds of games shown off at the same time.

It's more a "we'll show level X at this show, and then the public demo will be level Y" than different builds I think.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

It's hard to do that when you don't have a flat surface to play on like if you're in bed or on the bus.
    Develop perfect washboard abs so you can play video games in your bed.

YL9WnCY.png