As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    After having never played the games before, I decided to check out the Mega Man X collection on the Switch.

Is it just me, or is Mega Man X comprised pretty much entirely of dealing with bullshit? It feels less like I'm struggling to overcome challenging foes and more like I'm struggling to overcome the game's mechanical limitations.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    So according to the official Mega Man 11 players's guide, which uses the second half of the book for a retrospective on the franchise, the Mega Man Legends series takes place in 80XX, which I can't recall ever being mentioned anywhere else.

Hmm, where does that put the other series in the timeline? Legends is the one that I don't know was ever strongly linked to the others in sequence (the way Mega Man > X > Zero > ZX have a clear continuity) so...

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So according to the official Mega Man 11 players's guide, which uses the second half of the book for a retrospective on the franchise, the Mega Man Legends series takes place in 80XX, which I can't recall ever being mentioned anywhere else.

Hmm, where does that put the other series in the timeline? Legends is the one that I don't know was ever strongly linked to the others in sequence (the way Mega Man > X > Zero > ZX have a clear continuity) so...

If we assume Legends is in the same universe(I don't believe it was ever explicitly stated it was or wasn't?) and there weren't any calendar changes in their universe, and assuming no further retcons to exactly when Zero goes into stasis to kick off the Zero series because they gotta fit him into more X games, Legends should take place roughly 5,500 years after ZX, give or take a few centuries just because.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    After having never played the games before, I decided to check out the Mega Man X collection on the Switch.

Is it just me, or is Mega Man X comprised pretty much entirely of dealing with bullshit? It feels less like I'm struggling to overcome challenging foes and more like I'm struggling to overcome the game's mechanical limitations.

MMX Collection on Switch has constant slowdown, doesn't it?

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Can you give some specifics? Granted I've been playing this game for 25 years, but I can't fathom Mega Man X being anything more than a moderate challenge. Surely the input lag isn't so bad it fundamentally alters the game?

Edit: Just a thought - try mapping Dash to the L button. That's how it was in Mega Man Zero, and now I can't play any other way.

Delzhand on
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

MMX Collection on Switch has constant slowdown, doesn't it?

Not constant slowdown (or any that I've noticed) just slight input delay... but with as perfect as you need to be to play X properly, it affects the gameplay in the SNES X games. I got used to it after a time though.

Playing on the Switch itself, the input lag is lessened quite a bit too.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

If we assume Legends is in the same universe(I don't believe it was ever explicitly stated it was or wasn't?) and there weren't any calendar changes in their universe, and assuming no further retcons to exactly when Zero goes into stasis to kick off the Zero series because they gotta fit him into more X games, Legends should take place roughly 5,500 years after ZX, give or take a few centuries just because.

I vaguely remember them saying that Legends was always at "the end". Never a specific date, or how far away from the other games that, like you said have a clear traceable continuity. Just always at the end.

And then the NT/EXE/Starforce games are straight up alternate continuities.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

X2 and X3 have some bullshit level design for sure.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I vaguely remember them saying that Legends was always at "the end". Never a specific date, or how far away from the other games that, like you said have a clear traceable continuity. Just always at the end.

And then the NT/EXE/Starforce games are straight up alternate continuities.

I recall reading somewhere that Keiji Inafune thought of Legends as an alternate continuity, but the people who actually made the Zero and ZX games intentionally made the Legends series part of the timeline.

BTW, a recently translated interview with the creators of X4 also stated that the X series (at the time, at least) was not necessarily in the same timeline as the classic Mega Man series and may be an alternate continuity. However, the ZX games in particular make references to the classic series, so classic, X, Zero, ZX, and Legends are all in the same continuity.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Can you give some specifics? Granted I've been playing this game for 25 years, but I can't fathom Mega Man X being anything more than a moderate challenge. Surely the input lag isn't so bad it fundamentally alters the game?

Edit: Just a thought - try mapping Dash to the L button. That's how it was in Mega Man Zero, and now I can't play any other way.

I'm not sure exactly which stage it is, but the part that stands out to me the most is a brief elevator ride that consists entirely of repeatedly tanking hits from spiky enemies.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Legends was always* part of the main timeline, and as I recall, was once stated to take place "several thousand years" after the X series.

While I don't think Capcom USA has ever actually said, Capcom Japan made it pretty clear before the first game even came out.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!

I'm not sure exactly which stage it is, but the part that stands out to me the most is a brief elevator ride that consists entirely of repeatedly tanking hits from spiky enemies.
    Use the charged up Rolling Shield

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There are a lot of spots in MMX, especially in the final stages, that are made infinitely easier once you remember you're carrying 8 different weapons.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular

Like most Megaman games, certain obstacles become simple with certain weapons/power ups. The shield probably more than most

So I found out item unlocks in 11 are tied to specific conditions.
    Notably the bolt drop item which is insanely effective only unlocks on Saturday.

Others like the spike protector need you ro die on a spike.

Its kind of annoying

Fun fact/glitch about the elevator in Kuwanger's tower that might help:
    They aren't instant kill spikes. And if you press against them while you're in temporary invulnerability, they won't affect you again. So the trick I use is to activate the charged rolling shield, press against the spikes to take a hit, press all the way left, and then just ride the elevator to the top without moving. None of the platforms come down on your hitbox when you're all the way left.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Finally got through Megaman 11 this week.
    A really good game, I really like the gears and all the bosses and most of the weapons were great (never warmed up to Blast man's weapon). I think the default switch controller is not good for these sorts of games, i kept on fat fingering the gears due to shoulder button sensitivity. I would probably enjoy this game more if i got a controller that was more suited to fast input games. Was the game balanced around buying e tanks and extra men? I feel like it might have been.

All the stages were super good. I was disappointed by the length of the Wily Castle, but the individual stages were longer, i think, so it about evened out. Very happy with this interation (compared to say, the input laggy X collection), and will probably revisit this one quite a bit.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    edited October 2018
    Blast Man's weapon is easily the worst of the bunch. It's a pain in the ass to use unless you're using the power gear.

Delzhand on
    Blast Man's weapon is easily the worst of the bunch. It's a pain in the ass to use unless you're using the power gear.

Why would you ever not though?
    Its hilarious and they aoe is insane.

I really liked the challenge of a gearless run.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So bought Mega Man 11 on Switch, put it on Superhero difficulty, and yup.

Game's hard.

Miusic's garbage though.

Gundi on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    There are a couple of catchy tracks but none of them that would really win entries in the MM series pantheon of iconic music.

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    A few do for me. So I guess I'm the only one who really likes this soundtrack, huh? I'm not big on the sound font but most of the tunes are club bangers.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
    edited October 2018
    I like the various menu music, and I like the continue screen music. But even that is like a notable step down from other games for me.

Anyways, started on SuperHero and still haven't beat a stage yet. Well I've beaten a stage, but, uh, having lots of trouble with the boss. Block Man, specifically. Would like some help if someone could point out something I'm missing:
    So I fought him enough that I can perfect his first form, without even having to use speed gear. The issue is his second form. So he seems to have three attacks. A punch, a slam, and a rock throw. The punch is easy to avoid. The rock throw... isn't, but I mean that's what speed gear is for. The issue is the slam. If he decided to start throwing them out what do I do? Since he walks forward I can't really run away from him. I tried jumping over it and even rush coiling it but neither work. I found one tiny spot that is safe underneath him when he slams, but I still get hit the second he starts pulling his arm back after slamming. So am I missing something obvious, or do I just have to damage spam him like crazy and hope he doesn't kill me by using his unavoidable move first?

Gundi on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I like the various menu music, and I like the continue screen music. But even that is like a notable step down from other games for me.

Or if you preordered, you can change to instrumental music

https://gamingaudionews.com/2018/09/12/pre-order-mega-man-11-to-receive-an-alternative-in-game-soundtrack/amp/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Hes a terrrible first boss in that mode.
    I'd go with Blast Man because mid boss aside his weapon is worth getting early just for the insane damage it can deal.

edited October 2018
    I finally beat him! From what I could tell his second stage slam attack could sometimes be unavoidable. However, you could bait out other moves to mostly not have that happen.

edit: Cool I got an achievement (I mean it's on Switch or whatever) for I think reaching the boss without taking any hits.

Gundi on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    A couple of weeks late, but I finally got Megaman 11. I've finished the main eight stages, haven't tried the final stages yet.

Is it just me, or is Torch Man and his level like a whole level of difficulty compared to the other stages?
    Especially the forest fire stages, particularly the second one. I had to pop the Speed Gear constantly just to survive.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    Moreso than in past Mega Man games, difficulty goes down for stages the more willing you are to use special weapons. Tundra Man's weapon makes quick work of pretty much any enemy your buster shots bounce off of.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm gonna try to play Mega Man 11 blind. When I played 1-8 back in the day, I would always look up a recommended order. Maybe it will be exciting to actually learn all the weaknesses on my own.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Moreso than in past Mega Man games, difficulty goes down for stages the more willing you are to use special weapons. Tundra Man's weapon makes quick work of pretty much any enemy your buster shots bounce off of.

As rough as the first Mega Man game is, this is something that it did very very well. Boss weapons had tactical uses that turned frustrating stage elements into puzzles. That element became increasingly less prominent as the series went on, and I think that was a bad call. If you’re only using boss weapons on other bosses then 90% of the game is spent ignoring 90% of your abilities.

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I'm gonna try to play Mega Man 11 blind. When I played 1-8 back in the day, I would always look up a recommended order. Maybe it will be exciting to actually learn all the weaknesses on my own.

I felt pretty good about figuring it out myself, even if the developers are on record saying the chain is less obtuse than it often is. I found that claim incentivizing.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

As rough as the first Mega Man game is, this is something that it did very very well. Boss weapons had tactical uses that turned frustrating stage elements into puzzles. That element became increasingly less prominent as the series went on, and I think that was a bad call. If you’re only using boss weapons on other bosses then 90% of the game is spent ignoring 90% of your abilities.

I dunno, I seem to recall 9 being full of opportunities to use boss weapons to make other levels easier. I'd say that and MM2 felt like they had more uses than I remember from MM1.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png

It also works on the flames.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I dunno, I seem to recall 9 being full of opportunities to use boss weapons to make other levels easier. I'd say that and MM2 felt like they had more uses than I remember from MM1.

9 had arguably the best weapon selection in the series

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Jewel Man's shield was broke as fuck. Shields have run the gamut from suck to star over the course of the series, but his felt kinda ridiculous.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited October 2018

I'd put 11's up there with it. As with 9's, the weapons are all valuable on their own and do a nice job of covering each other's gaps. If the measure is how often I used a wider variety of weapons in stages, I could make the case that 11 has the best selection.

I will note that I replayed 1 just yesterday and disagree with the above assessment. Other than Thunder Beam or Super Arm to clear blocks, I think the only weapon I used in a stage was Hyper Bomb, and only once. 2 definitely presented more opportunities to play around with weapons, even if only they were mostly for Metal Blade, Quick Boomerang, and the very odd Bubble Lead or Air Shooter.

Tim is on the Internet on
    edited October 2018

I'd put 11's up there with it. As with 9's, the weapons are all valuable on their own and do a nice job of covering each other's gaps. If the measure is how often I used a wider variety of weapons in stages, I could make the case that 11 has the best selection.

I will note that I replayed 1 just yesterday and disagree with the above assessment. Other than Thunder Beam or Super Arm to clear blocks, I think the only weapon I used in a stage was Hyper Bomb, and only once. 2 definitely presented more opportunities to play around with weapons, even if only they were mostly for Metal Blade, Quick Boomerang, and the very odd Bubble Lead or Air Shooter.

Don't forget crash bomber to get through barriers on some alternate paths, Leaf Shield is awesome for any section where you need to ride a moving platform and not be hit by enemies. Flash Man's time stopper is a good way to get past the kill beams in Quick Man's stage, but I always insisted on getting through them the hard way since it can take half of Quick Man's health. But it probably helps with the section of Bubble Man's stage where the robot jellyfish appear. Heat Man's is probably good for minibosses like the robopanther on Wood Man's stage, or those walkers the Sniper Joes ride on Flash man's, but I've never tried it myself.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    It’s pretty possible I’ve mixed up my memories here! I might give 1 a play again later today and see if my brain’s going rotten. I do remember 3 being the point where the difficulty amped up and special weapons failed to balance it back out, so I imagine I’m all wrong here.

Don't forget crash bomber to get through barriers on some alternate paths, Leaf Shield is awesome for any section where you need to ride a moving platform and not be hit by enemies. Flash Man's time stopper is a good way to get past the kill beams in Quick Man's stage, but I always insisted on getting through them the hard way since it can take half of Quick Man's health. But it probably helps with the section of Bubble Man's stage where the robot jellyfish appear. Heat Man's is probably good for minibosses like the robopanther on Wood Man's stage, or those walkers the Sniper Joes ride on Flash man's, but I've never tried it myself.

Panthers? You mean the Friender dogs?

Time Stopper can prevent Frienders from teleporting into Wood Man's stage, Metal Blade (aside from being good everywhere) is great for the jellyfish, and Quick Man is also weak to Crash Bombs. For Sniper Armors (and Sniper Joes), Air Shooter is really good.