As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular

That reminds me of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, not to be confused with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, as one is the 4th Call of Duty, and the other is the 4th Modern Warfare.

DonnictonH3KnucklesLBD_Nytetrayn
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    The amount of effort Capcom put into the Rush layered armor in MH Rise is just *chefs kiss*

The sounds it makes when it walks are completely different, it barks like Rush, when you sprint while riding it, it uses Rush Jet and instead of digging to catch up to you, it teleports in Mega Man style.

Praying we get a Mega Man one for palicos in Sunbreak with this amount of detail.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    H3KnucklesLBD_Nytetrayn
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So so happy to see that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    KoopahTroopah
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Now where's my Legends remasters?

shoeboxjeddyNitsuaH3KnucklesLBD_NytetraynGennenalyse Rueben
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I thought we were well past this actually being possible but I'm super happy to be wrong. This was one of the best announcements I could have gotten today. I'm so close to having all Mega Man games on one console. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Nitsua
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I won't lie, when it said "10 games" I thought we were getting some of the ones that were never released outside Japan, like Phantom of the Network and Legend of the Network.

I was really hoping that they would have included the Gamecube game in the series, but that was probably hoping too much.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    skeldarePolaritieNitsuaKoopahTroopahRiokenn
    I'm happy this is happening, but more than a bit disappointed this one isn't happening on Xbox for some reason. =(

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Nitsua
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Are half of those just different versions of essentially the same games?

I assume its like a pokemon thing?

Only played the first three BNs. Looking forward to catching up after all this time.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yes some of those are pokemon red/blue type situations

BahamutZERO.gif
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Only played the first three BNs. Looking forward to catching up after all this time.

If I remember correctly, there are different story beats in each version of the latter games. Different bosses and even different endgames. J's Reviews on Youtube did a pretty great series of videos working through each of the battle network games and played through each version. He talked about the differences of each one. It's definitely interesting.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited June 2022
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

If I remember correctly, there are different story beats in each version of the latter games. Different bosses and even different endgames. J's Reviews on Youtube did a pretty great series of videos working through each of the battle network games and played through each version. He talked about the differences of each one. It's definitely interesting.

The first two games didn't have different versions.

The third game originally had only one version, but a second version was released in Japan afterwards, and the releases outside of Japan had two versions from the get-go. The differences weren't terribly pronounced, though, beyond a few bosses that were different, one alternate form that varied with the version, etc.

Four is where the differences became more pronounced, with different bosses and alternate forms that were completely different between the versions.

Five expanded this even more with two sets of additional playable characters in the game's "Liberation Mode".

Six went back more to how four did things (with only one exclusive additional playable character in a short scenario) with the caveat that the final boss of the game and the related form you can get varies between versions.

While I'm at it, the first Star Force game had three versions, the second game had two physical versions with a third version included on both of them (it's weird, I know), and the third game only had two versions.

Hexmage-PA on
    LBD_Nytetrayn
    Yep, Hexmage pretty much has it.

I'll throw in that BN4 had the same overarching storyline, but the different stories/stages in between those beats differed not only between games, but also playthroughs of the game. You'd have to play each version three times to see/get everything, IIRC.

Hexmage-PA
    About 25 years or so, and nothing.

But now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTmTXonIRao

Our THIRD modern release of this game!

bloodatonementNitsuaIanatorH3KnucklesMunkus Beaver
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Capcom should really release it by itself at this point.

LBD_Nytetraynshoeboxjeddy
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Capcom should really release it by itself at this point.

I mean, they did do the Retro-Bit release, but something tells me that's not what you mean. ;)

Yeah, I totally agree. I really wanted it to show up on Virtual Console, back when that was a thing, but... well, you know how that went.

I’m meaning digitally rather than the incredibly limited physical release that was mainly purchased by scalpers.

Can they not put Mega Man & Bass on the SNES app, since they clearly have no intention of selling it anyway?

shoeboxjeddyBigJoeM
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    It's disappointing how sparse the Legacy series is when compared to the Anniversary Collections.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    Nitsua
    It's disappointing how sparse the Legacy series is when compared to the Anniversary Collections.

I'm not sure I agree?

I mean, please feel free to elaborate, but on core titles alone, MMAC had only MM1-8 whereas MMLC has MM1-10, plus numerous challenges and the two arcade games. MMXC had MMX1-6 and Battle & Chase, whereas MMXLC has MMX1-8 and two X Challenge modes.

That's just off the top of my head. I'd have to look to see how stuff like art and music archives compare.

Plus, we got MMZero + ZX Legacy Collection, too, and now MMBN Legacy Collection. Granted, those were still brand new when the Anniversary Collections came out, but we never got a Mega Man Legends Collection in their stead, or that collection of the Game Boy titles.

And for my money, MMLC kept Mega Man 7's ending and didn't reverse the jump and attack buttons, so that alone puts them ahead to me.

I mean, that's just my view. I'm honestly curious by what you mean. The only thing I can think of is that the old collections put everything available at the time into one package, whereas the Legacy Collections seem to split the package if it goes over six games.

Mega Man Legacy collection doesn’t have the arcade games, that’s Anniversary. It does have the challenges, but having the arcade games with their wonderful sprites would have been great.

bloodatonementLBD_NytetraynH3Knuckles
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

I'm not sure I agree?

I mean, please feel free to elaborate, but on core titles alone, MMAC had only MM1-8 whereas MMLC has MM1-10, plus numerous challenges and the two arcade games. MMXC had MMX1-6 and Battle & Chase, whereas MMXLC has MMX1-8 and two X Challenge modes.

That's just off the top of my head. I'd have to look to see how stuff like art and music archives compare.

Plus, we got MMZero + ZX Legacy Collection, too, and now MMBN Legacy Collection. Granted, those were still brand new when the Anniversary Collections came out, but we never got a Mega Man Legends Collection in their stead, or that collection of the Game Boy titles.

And for my money, MMLC kept Mega Man 7's ending and didn't reverse the jump and attack buttons, so that alone puts them ahead to me.

I mean, that's just my view. I'm honestly curious by what you mean. The only thing I can think of is that the old collections put everything available at the time into one package, whereas the Legacy Collections seem to split the package if it goes over six games.
    Anniversary Collection is the complete series plus bonus games.

Legacy is split series with challenge modes.

IMHO:
    bonus games >>> challenge modes.

Legacy could have build on Anniversary Collection and thrown bonuses like MM&B, MM Soccer, Wily Wars, GameBoy or Xtreme games. Games that are never going to be part of their own collection. (Unless they do a Legacy Leftovers collection)

I'm willing to give MegaMan Legacy a pass for splitting the NES games from the others, seemed like it was Capcom just testing the waters. But X's split is arbitrary.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    NitsuaLBD_NytetraynH3Knuckles
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    X's split is the four good games vs 1 good game, 1 okay game, 1 mediocre game and 1 dire game

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    McMoogleLBD_NytetraynH3Knuckles
    I really expected the MMX split to be 1-3 and 4-8. Basically the Nintendo era and the PS era, and giving people a reason to buy MMXLC2. As it is now, I feel absolutely zero incentive to buy it, and I have all the other collections.

King RiptorH3Knuckles
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If I were an evil dick, I'd have split the X games like 1/2/6/7 and 3/4/5/8. None of this "lol I don't have to buy the bad games" shit. :)

I still bought it because I just want the whole collection, warts and all. I love 5, and 8 is genuinely good. 6 is a ridiculous rush job, but for what it's worth the collection's easy mode actually patches up a lot of the issues. ...And the less said about 7 the better.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    LBD_NytetraynTamerBill
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Mega Man Legacy collection doesn’t have the arcade games, that’s Anniversary. It does have the challenges, but having the arcade games with their wonderful sprites would have been great.

D'oh! Yes, that's exactly right. I accidentally had those with the MMXCollection, and cut and pasted them to the wrong place. >_<

I'm not sure I agree?

Anniversary Collection is the complete series plus bonus games.

Legacy is split series with challenge modes.

IMHO:
    bonus games >>> challenge modes.

Legacy could have build on Anniversary Collection and thrown bonuses like MM&B, MM Soccer, Wily Wars, GameBoy or Xtreme games. Games that are never going to be part of their own collection. (Unless they do a Legacy Leftovers collection)

I'm willing to give MegaMan Legacy a pass for splitting the NES games from the others, seemed like it was Capcom just testing the waters. But X's split is arbitrary.

Okay, that's fair. I still think that MMAC vs. MMLC is kind of a wash, shy of not all being together, since it's ten games and ten games. But I can kinda see where you're coming from.

H3KnucklesHexmage-PA
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Wait, does Battle Network have Dragonball-style character fusions?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I forget if it's in the very very first one, but later titles allow you to adopt the powers of your allies and his appearance changes to stylized versions of those characters.

H3KnucklesLBD_Nytetrayn
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I forget if it's in the very very first one, but later titles allow you to adopt the powers of your allies and his appearance changes to stylized versions of those characters.

First appeared in 3, IIRC. I remember using the GutsMan one a lot, since it gave you an attack that stuns an enemy/interrupts its attack when you'd otherwise need chips to do so, which is useful for preventing certain enemies from regenerating their attack absorbing Auras.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

First appeared in 3, IIRC. I remember using the GutsMan one a lot, since it gave you an attack that stuns an enemy/interrupts its attack when you'd otherwise need chips to do so, which is useful for preventing certain enemies from regenerating their attack absorbing Auras.

3 was still styles I think? Souls are 4-6.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    IanatorLBD_Nytetrayn
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Ah right, I remembered the GutsMan effect was similar in 3 and 4 and thought they were the same thing.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Reploids don't have souls tho.

steam_sig.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

Reploids don't have souls tho.

Netnavis aren't Reploids and at least one of them very explicitly has a soul.

IanatorLBD_NytetraynMunkus BeaverMechMantis
    edited July 2022
    Reploids have "DNA Souls," which are analogous to a human soul.

If I was going to make a more direct comparison, though, I'd say they might act more akin to Sparks in Transformers, in that I think they might have a sort of affect on the physical attributes of a Reploid, as well as their personality and the like.

Meanwhile, Double Soul (MMBN4-6) is a form that occurs when MegaMan manages to form a special bond, when he communes with another NetNavi.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Hexmage-PA
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    NetNavi's are just a juiced up version of Clippy. And I refuse to believe the likes of Clippy has a soul.

Actual full blown spoilers for Battle Network's plot:
    If I'm remembering right, Mega Man.EXE is Lan's dead brother, or something to that effect. I don't actually remember the exact how and why of it. So yeah, he has a soul, or as much as one can infer from that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    LBD_NytetraynMunkus Beaver
    NetNavi's are just a juiced up version of Clippy. And I refuse to believe the likes of Clippy has a soul.

Actual full blown spoilers for Battle Network's plot:
    If I'm remembering right, Mega Man.EXE is Lan's dead brother, or something to that effect. I don't actually remember the exact how and why of it. So yeah, he has a soul, or as much as one can infer from that.
    MegaMan.exe was created using the DNA from Lan's twin brother Hub, who died shortly after birth from a heart defect. This somehow caused Hub's soul to exist in the Cyberworld in the form of MegaMan.exe. In the ending of Mega Man Battle Network 5 there's a sequence of Hub temporarily shedding the parts of him that make him MegaMan.exe before they reform.

LBD_Nytetrayn
    Legends time!

Also, if anyone's interested, I've started writing a story that takes place in the world of Mega Man Legends. I don't know if I can link it here, but if you're interested, check out one of the links in my sig (I'll let you guess which one. Hint: It has nothing to do with mushrooms).

H3Knuckles