As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    You can't fuckin' blue ball me like that.

That's just being a mega man fan for the last ten+ years

ehh. MM11 came out and it was good!

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    LBD_NytetraynNitsua
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    You can't fuckin' blue ball me like that.

That's just being a mega man fan for the last ten+ years

ehh. MM11 came out and it was good!

*sigh* Still need to play this...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I never played X8. I kinda stopped with X5 when they started naming robots after Guns & Roses band members... The X series sounded like it really went off the rails after that.

Never did play X4, would like to try that sometime - I hear it's good (except for the cutscenes... "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOORRRRRRRRRR?!?!")

Good news! Capcom's more or less done away with that in Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2.

And in other news...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Hexmage-PA
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    The entire #SAGE2022 hashtag is full of cool fan and indie games.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    LBD_Nytetrayn
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I would describe it as "game boy color advanced" what with each sprite having a limited palette but less restriction on how many distinct palettes are allowed.
    Ianator wrote: »

Just gave this a shot. Only has the intro stage but it is pretty solid so far! I've only got two issues:

1. There's one really long gap in the first segment I wasn't sure how to traverse (without debugging myself an armor set).
    2. The capsule that gives you a leg armor doesn't tell you or demonstrate what the armor actually does. (It gives you a double jump and/or an extra air dash.)

Speaking of MMX fangames, I'm still loosely following the development of Corrupted, which has more of a ZX-style Metroidvania overworld formula to it. I am itching to try it but the devs aren't going to be putting out a public release for quite a while.

Yeah MMX Corrupted is like... one guy's pet project and it's been in dev for like... over 10 years. I've kinda given up on ever actually playing it.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    If I understand correctly it sounds like every game on the MMBN collection will have online versus.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Yeah MMX Corrupted is like... one guy's pet project and it's been in dev for like... over 10 years. I've kinda given up on ever actually playing it.

I think there's actually three guys working on it now? But yes, it be out when it be out and it not be out for a while.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    If I understand correctly it sounds like every game on the MMBN collection will have online versus.

And trading. Very hyped about this.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    IanatorReynoldsNitsuaDonnictoncloudeagle
    Remember Red Ash, the spiritual successor to Mega Man Legends that never got made but weirdly DID get an OVA? An English sub is being put on YouTube tomorrow for one month, for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z5dAZTaQEs

McMooglebloodatonementIanatorWarlock82LBD_Nytetrayn
    edited October 2022
    Remember Red Ash, the spiritual successor to Mega Man Legends that never got made but weirdly DID get an OVA? An English sub is being put on YouTube tomorrow for one month, for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z5dAZTaQEs

I backed that project. The OVA is actually surprisingly good (albeit I think ending on something of a cliffhanger which was a shame). I honestly had no regrets backing it. Kinda made me wish a game did materialize out of the concept. They were supposedly still making one despite the Kickstarter failure but that was years ago. I'm guessing the failure of MN9 basically killed those plans.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    LBD_NytetraynMechMantis
    I wonder if Studio4C is aware that there's already an upload of the OVA with English subtitles on YouTube. It was apparently posted in 2017.

edited October 2022
    Eh, at least now it'll be official. Either way, it was good.

In other news...

Man out here risking his life to do what Capcom won't.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    MechMantisIanator
    edited October 2022
    Just watched Red Ash: Magicicada. I imagine the name "Red Ash" was supposed to be along the lines of Re:DASH (since it's a spiritual successor to Mega Man Legends aka Rockman DASH), but it's interesting that the character literally has the power to dissolve into ash and reform. His moveset also seemed to be entirely melee-oriented, so I'm curious how that would have played in game. I'm surprised that the OVA focused entirely on conflict between humanoid characters and didn't feature any not-Reaverbots.

I have to say I hope that wasn't the only reason he left shelter. I like Mega Man, but I don't people want people literally risking their life over something a niche part of the fanbase will appreciate.

Hexmage-PA on
    see317Warlock82LBD_Nytetrayn
    Just watched Red Ash: Magicicada. I imagine the name "Red Ash" was supposed to be along the lines of Re:DASH (since it's a spiritual successor to Mega Man Legends aka Rockman DASH), but it's interesting that the character literally has the power to dissolve into ash and reform. His moveset also seemed to be entirely melee-oriented, so I'm curious how that would have played in game. I'm surprised that the OVA focused entirely on conflict between humanoid characters and didn't feature any not-Reaverbots.

I have to say I hope that wasn't the only reason he left shelter. I like Mega Man, but I don't people literally risking their life over something a niche part of the fanbase will appreciate.

Yeah, it was a really interesting powerset that kind of surprised me at first too. It's a real shame Inafune screwed up MN9 because I think the ideas here were solid. I really liked the world it was building.

And yeah, I was gonna say... I'm not sure I'd risk my life for something that Capcom will probably get taken down :/

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    GamesPlanet has some (as far as I can tell) historical low prices on MM right now
    https://us.gamesplanet.com/games/offers/weekly

Went ahead and finally picked up 11

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    LBD_Nytetrayn
    edited October 2022
    Wait, Capcom remembers Mega Man exists after MM11? :P I don't think they've done shit with him since that (and that one took forever itself) and the Anniversary collections. (edit: I suppose they did just announce a Battle Network collection but I'm not counting that cuz it's not classic Mega Man :3)

Warlock82 on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    That is a craptastically lazy logo. Especially when you look at the others at the bottom of the article.
    35thanniversarylogos.png

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    CantideLBD_NytetraynKoopahTroopah
    I hope we hear something about Rockman Taisen before much longer...provided it hasn't been cancelled.

LBD_Nytetrayn
    edited October 2022
    Wait, Capcom remembers Mega Man exists after MM11? :P I don't think they've done shit with him since that (and that one took forever itself) and the Anniversary collections. (edit: I suppose they did just announce a Battle Network collection but I'm not counting that cuz it's not classic Mega Man :3)

Well, there's DiVE... *ducks thrown debris* and there was Fully Charged *ducks more thrown debris*

Seriously, though, given Covid, I'm willing to give a bit more time here. At the moment, I'd rather they take their time with stuff, versus the multiple-games-per-year oversaturation from back in the aughts.

That said, a better balance would be nice.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Warlock82

Well, there's DiVE... *ducks thrown debris* and there was Fully Charged *ducks more thrown debris*

Seriously, though, given Covid, I'm willing to give a bit more time here. At the moment, I'd rather they take their time with stuff, versus the multiple-games-per-year oversaturation from back in the aughts.

That said, a better balance would be nice.

You know, that's true. Covid could have fucked a lot of stuff up. Ok, I will cut some slack. But still, non-Gacha Mega Man would be nice :3

LBD_Nytetrayn
    Yeah, this is more DiVE, but I thought the Battle Network fans might like this:

Hexmage-PAIanator
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2022
    Hindsight reveals that the Red Ash kickstarter happened when it did because they knew they had a stinker with Mighty No. 9

Either do it then and hope you have just enough good will left to get a mulligan, or release it after launch when you will have no good will whatsoever

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    TamerBillPolaritie
    edited October 2022
    Sterica wrote: »
    Hindsight reveals that the Red Ash kickstarter happened when it did because they knew they had a stinker with Mighty No. 9

Either do it then and hope you have just enough good will left to get a mulligan, or release it after launch when you will have no good will whatsoever

Honestly I disagree, I think it's the opposite. They were so hyped by the response to the MN9 kickstarter that they got overambitious and thought they could do no wrong. Remember they had contracted to do MN9 cartoons and stuff too. They were going all in on that stuff. I think it was more they believed their own hype and then ultimately failed to deliver.

Random aside though, I still wonder what the hell happened to that project. Like, Inticreates is not a shit developer. But they must have been horribly mis-managed or something. I'm still not sure why anyone thought those graphics were ok. (contrast this with Bloodstained where people thought the game looked like shit and IGA said "Ok, let's make it not look like shit" and even released a trailer kind of mocking themselves about it)

Warlock82 on
    LBD_Nytetrayn
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Honestly I disagree, I think it's the opposite. They were so hyped by the response to the MN9 kickstarter that they got overambitious and thought they could do no wrong. Remember they had contracted to do MN9 cartoons and stuff too. They were going all in on that stuff. I think it was more they believed their own hype and then ultimately failed to deliver.

Random aside though, I still wonder what the hell happened to that project. Like, Inticreates is not a shit developer. But they must have been horribly mis-managed or something. I'm still not sure why anyone thought those graphics were ok. (contrast this with Bloodstained where people thought the game looked like shit and IGA said "Ok, let's make it not look like shit" and even released a trailer kind of mocking themselves about it)

Last I heard it got snorked up by some Chinese company for release in China, but I don't know if it ever did.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Last I heard it got snorked up by some Chinese company for release in China, but I don't know if it ever did.

Yeah, I feel like we would have heard something if it did. It's probably just a dead project at this point.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Yeah, I feel like we would have heard something if it did. It's probably just a dead project at this point.

Granted we don't really get any coverage of the Chinese games market aside from Daniel Ahmad, and I think he would have noticed. And then someone else would have noticed, since the project's a bit of a curiosity.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Warlock82
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I kind of remember at the time that just before they tried that Kickstarter, their "good will" was already teetering, if not on a downward slope. The game had already been delayed multiple times. I can't remember if the "prom night" trailer was before or after. But as soon as that kickstarter hit, the instant and overwhelming opinion was "How about you fucking finish what we paid you for first, before we even think about giving you another red cent?".

Honestly that whole experience was awesome in hindsight. Everybody got to feel what it's like to be an investor for a day.

And yeah, after it was super clear that kickstarter had no hope of finishing, suddenly some chinese company called FUZE appeared. I definitely remember their stretch goal image now had a big "Funded by FUZE" stamp over it. And at the time, if you googled them and went to their website, they were "developing" a super obvious Xbox console ripoff. Just sketchy as all fuck. That said company has since appeared to disappear off the face of the earth is... utterly not surprising at all.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited October 2022
    I kind of remember at the time that just before they tried that Kickstarter, their "good will" was already teetering, if not on a downward slope. The game had already been delayed multiple times. I can't remember if the "prom night" trailer was before or after. But as soon as that kickstarter hit, the instant and overwhelming opinion was "How about you fucking finish what we paid you for first, before we even think about giving you another red cent?".

Honestly that whole experience was awesome in hindsight. Everybody got to feel what it's like to be an investor for a day.

And yeah, after it was super clear that kickstarter had no hope of finishing, suddenly some chinese company called FUZE appeared. I definitely remember their stretch goal image now had a big "Funded by FUZE" stamp over it. And at the time, if you googled them and went to their website, they were "developing" a super obvious Xbox console ripoff. Just sketchy as all fuck. That said company has since appeared to disappear off the face of the earth is... utterly not surprising at all.

Prom night trailer was way after (very close to launch). But I think you're right - I think between the delays, Inafune snapping up every MN9 merchandising deal he could, and just a lot of other stuff was already hurting public opinion at the time. I vaguely recall there being some huge controversy with like, the community manager of their forums or something? (I totally don't remember but I think there was some dissatisfaction with her handling of things and I remember something about her not even liking Mega Man.. I dunno...) And I seem to recall a huge lack of transparency and a lot of people like "Hey, what's going on with this? You've delayed it but you won't show us anything" (which fed into the community manager thing as the literal only connection to the devs people were getting). And then this second kickstarter comes around when people weren't even getting real answers on the first one and it really pissed a lot of people off.

Edit: BTW, this might sound crazy, but ultimately I've long blamed a lot of the success and failure of MN9 on Fangamer, ironically, the group they got to do their kickstarter. They did such an amazing job with that kickstarter, then immediately dumped them as "job done" and tried to manage everything else themselves, including the Red Ash kickstarter (it's funny to look at how boring that one was by comparison). And by manage, they didn't.. really... Compare that to Bloodstained who *also* hired Fangamer to run their kickstarter, but then kept them on to run the community/social aspect of their project afterwards. Funny, that project got regular updates and much less disgruntled fans. Fangamer knew what they were doing, Comcept didn't.

This is a little bit of an overexaggeration of their importance of course but I swear, never underestimate how good marketing can impact perception and opinion. Fangamer runs an online store, they know how to market shit. I often wonder if there was actually a back and forth between the fans and devs, if MN9 could have been saved. Of course, a big part of that game's problem was a massive over-promise and lack of money. But I mean, Bloodstained made similar overpromises, earned a similar amount from Kickstarter, but made it work (except for rip Wii U version :P But then 3DS and Vita MN9 versions never even got officially cancelled, just silence :P).

Warlock82 on
    I bought into the early Mighty No. 9 hype and donated an entire paycheck to it because I was just certain it was going to be good. Got the art book, promo poster, signed sketch from Inafune, etc.

I guess I should get around to actually playing the game sometime, no matter how underwhelming it ended up being.

Warlock82Ianator
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I bought into the early Mighty No. 9 hype and donated an entire paycheck to it because I was just certain it was going to be good. Got the art book, promo poster, signed sketch from Inafune, etc.

I guess I should get around to actually playing the game sometime, no matter how underwhelming it ended up being.

its so-so

its not good, its not completely bad, its just sad really. I wish it was worse so I wouldn't be so disappointed in it

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    In a way, I feel like we indirectly kickstarted Mega Man 11, since that game seemed to be made out of spite for what Inafune was doing. And I actually really enjoyed Mega Man 11. I think it's the most I've enjoyed an MM game since Zero 2.

Granted we don't really get any coverage of the Chinese games market aside from Daniel Ahmad, and I think he would have noticed. And then someone else would have noticed, since the project's a bit of a curiosity.

I believe the info you're seeking can be found here.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    In a way, I feel like we indirectly kickstarted Mega Man 11, since that game seemed to be made out of spite for what Inafune was doing. And I actually really enjoyed Mega Man 11. I think it's the most I've enjoyed an MM game since Zero 2.

Spite seems to be a good motivator apparently. MN9 got us Mega Man 11. Eiyuden Chronicles finally got us a HD remaster of Suikoden I & II.

So hey Sony, did you see that Armed Fantasia kickstarter? Wouldn't you like to stick it to them by releasing a Remastered Wild Arms Collection?

Warlock82IanatorMcMoogleNitsuaDonnicton
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »

Spite seems to be a good motivator apparently. MN9 got us Mega Man 11. Eiyuden Chronicles finally got us a HD remaster of Suikoden I & II.

So hey Sony, did you see that Armed Fantasia kickstarter? Wouldn't you like to stick it to them by releasing a Remastered Wild Arms Collection?

We'll call it Revamped Cypher G.

steam_sig.png