As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
edited May 2017 in Games and Technology
New thread time! Despite nothing coming out of Capcom in quite some time, save for "Mega May," a month of Game Boy Virtual Console releases on the Nintendo 3DS whose order you can vote on, this is a thing that's happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNx1HiFIoRk

...because he's a part of this:

This is also happening:
skeldare wrote: »

Revel in it with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akJygsSXcjw

Or, if you're German, with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFEBaAxO7W0

Elsewhere, one of the guys who made Mega Man what he is today is now doing his own thing called Mighty No. 9. He raised a ton of zenny via Kickstarter, and this is what the alpha prototype looks like so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acQj71oGAB8

Also, apples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTogbZDTgvE

Finally, the guys who are helping make that, who also helped make the Mega Man Zero series, the ZX series, and Mega Man 9 & 10 (along with some other Mega Man games well before any of that) are making this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wm8-DsVqHE

There are also other things going on, which I'm sure we'll get into detail about here before long.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
LBD_Nytetrayn on

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I had no idea the sound on that video of his Final Smash in Smash Brothers had been altered before I watched it. That's really funny how that syncs up.

Viskod on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    This is the greatest non Capcom involved Mega Man thread.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    When I saw there was a new thread I thought "the OP better have that final smash". Job well done!

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I played MMX2 for a while yesterday, and so far it's much, much harder than any of the other Mega Man games I've played. I managed to beat 3 of the bosses, and that's basically because I found that these specific ones had easy patterns or got stunned/interrupted by the Buster. Then I was air suplexed by Flame Stag for a while and quit.

Anyone have any tips?

B6yM5w2.gif
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Which bosses have you beaten?

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I beat the Sponge, the Crab, and .... something else. I don't remember because these bosses aren't familiar to me yet.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Flame Stag's AI is completely broken. Jump over him so he's between you and the wall. He'll try to throw a ground flame. Jump over it and hit him with the bubble weapon. Repeat until he dies, he'll never alter his pattern.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Flame Stag's AI is completely broken. Jump over him so he's between you and the wall. He'll try to throw a ground flame. Jump over it and hit him with the bubble weapon. Repeat until he dies, he'll never alter his pattern.
    So he's a descendant of Toad Man?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    harvest wrote: »
    I beat the Sponge, the Crab, and .... something else. I don't remember because these bosses aren't familiar to me yet.

Sponge works on the Gator. You might have beaten him. If you have, you can get the body armor in the Moth's stage and the game becomes much easier.

So he's a descendant of Toad Man?

At the very least he trained at the same dojo. Toxic Seahorse is probably the closer comparison, though. He has literally the same pattern. Walk under him when he jumps, turn around and shoot, repeat. The only difference is that it only works on Seahorse if you have the right weapon, and you have to fire it so he lands on it, which makes him marginally harder than Toad Man.

Who else had really broken AI... Blizzard Buffalo could be tricked into endlessly headbutting the wall with nothing but the vertical dash, once you got Volt Catfish to 1/2 HP he could be killed without even moving... Zero could kill Split Mushroom could be beat without moving...

• ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    There were a couple in MMX that could have their AI massively abused. Sting Chameleon being the most hilarious to me, there you run back and forth, using Kuwanger's ability and he would just jump right back up into a position to be hit from the other side. Launch Octopus after his tentacles are cut off goes into a fairly predictable pattern.

X2 little less so it felt like, other than Flame Stag with the bubbles. picked up the MMX collection on PS2 not too long ago, and feels odd that MMX3 was the one that felt the hardest to start on a boss roster, but after taking out Gravity Beetle, the rest fell pretty easily, though that reminds me Blast Hornet's reaction to his weakness is great.

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
    Blast Hornet's reaction to his weakness is great.

Not to mention completely nonsensical. If he's flying upwards really hard to avoid the black hole, why does he smack into the ground when it stops?

• ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular

Not to mention completely nonsensical. If he's flying upwards really hard to avoid the black hole, why does he smack into the ground when it stops?

agreed, back when I first played X3 when I was like not even 10, I considered Blast Hornet one of the bosses I would save til near last. I wonder if it's the PS version or the Dual Shock controller, but I swear back in the day my boss order started with Blizzard Buffalo, this time however I could not consistently get the wall dash jump off so eventually had to just start with taking out Gravity Beetle, though I love the MMX collection, especially the price I paid for it, but it does pain me that it was made using the PS1 copy of X3.

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I had no idea the sound on that video of his Final Smash in Smash Brothers had been altered before I watched it. That's really funny how that syncs up.

A pleasant surprise I hope many will enjoy. =)
    skeldare wrote: »
    This is the greatest non Capcom involved Mega Man thread.

Thank you! =)
    When I saw there was a new thread I thought "the OP better have that final smash". Job well done!

How could I not? I just hope the twist meets your approval. ;)

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I really liked the westernized Gunvolt design. Shame they brought the ponytail back as a part of it but atleast they're standing strong on the midriff debate.

Thought he looked sharper without it, effective small changes.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I think this guy is a lock for winner. http://ultimatemaverickx.deviantart.com/gallery/

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Well, I think I've given up finding a not insanely overpriced copy of Mega Man 7 or X3. I think I'm gonna go with the Rockman versions.

Is there any way to make sure I don't end up with a bootleg super famicom cart?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Ok, this is kind of fantastic:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmLuIvNuuhc

I had no idea that Inafune almost went to work for Konami instead of Capcom. (love that - "Let's call them 'Company K' - they were responsible for a game about a couple of bees") :D

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The fucking Xtreme series? Really?

Give me the X trilogy on the 3DS, you bastards.

YL9WnCY.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its Capcom you now thats never gonna happen.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    In fairness, I doubt Capcom-- or anyone else, for that matter-- can do anything like that until Nintendo allows them to.

...unless, of course, something like 3D Classics falls outside of that rule. But those have just been NES and Genesis titles, neither of which helps Capcom with X.

unnamed(5).jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    WTF is Mega Man Xtreme?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    WTF is Mega Man Xtreme?

A GBC spin off of Mega Man X, contains stages and bosses from X and X2.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Mega Man X Light, basically. A GBC version of X.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I have a vague memory of Xtreme 2 actually being pretty good. Or at the very least a memory of it not just being a diet version of an X game.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Is the GB MM V any good? Since the bosses were original I've always been curious about that one.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I'll never forgive Xtreme for being the game to introduce that ridiculous DNA SOUL shit into the mythos.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Is the GB MM V any good? Since the bosses were original I've always been curious about that one.

Yes, I've regretted selling it for years so gonna have to mark my calendar for this.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    That release schedule is depressing.

Would have liked to seen Mega Man Zero making it's way to WiiU's GBA VC, as I have yet to play those.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
    I find it so weird that the best/rarest/most expensive of the GB Mega Man games got fourth. I can only assume people voted as if they were the NES games.

Ok, maybe IV is a little better, but V is definitely close.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    IIRC V nearly won the vote, but Capcom probably ignored the result and just decided to release them in order.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Maz- wrote: »
    IIRC V nearly won the vote, but Capcom probably ignored the result and just decided to release them in order.

I'm guessing a bunch of ppl who didn't know what the game was or anything just voted for Xtreme because it was in color. And then yeah, the rest they just released in order. The vote was prob only for the first game to be released.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    In all honesty the whole voting thing was stupid.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So I have never played mm xtreme before today, but man I started getting hand cramps trying to play using the b and a buttons as is

Are any of the other control schemes better than the default, or are we able to change button assignment for the 3ds virtual console?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    I've only played Xtreme 2 but it has an option or two for controls in the pause screen. Auto charging and maybe something about dashing. Not much, but you might look.

I don't think the 3DS VC allows button reassignment. I've considered getting the circle pad pro simply so there's more stuff for my hand to hold.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    I don't know what I just watched, but I liked it.