As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Dirty wrote: »
    It's not just that the writing is bad (which it is), but what annoys me is that they could never commit to it. None of the series would get a satisfying conclusion (or often any conclusion) before jumping ahead hundreds of years and starting over with new characters.

Of course they didn't. If they concluded a series then they wouldn't be able to go back and make more games of it. The whole point of the various series was to have divergent concurrently-running series to explore different ideas for the franchise without having to commit to any one new development.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Mega Man Zero series had a rather final conclusion.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I fully subscribe to the quint ending so imo mm classic also ends

What always killed me was that whole sigma telling zero oh guess who I found that made me this body you probably know him really well anyway time to never bring this up again but ps it was totally gonna be wily

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I assume Bob and George is the canon ending to MM classic.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Boy that Mr. X looks just like Wily, but his name is different, so it must be a different guy!

The Archie comics, amusingly enough, DID make Mr. X another guy! Except the plan was that, once it came time to adapt Mega Man 6, Wily would disguise himself as Mr. X.

So are the Archie comics good? I used to read the Sonic comics from around 25 to 60, as well as the Knuckles spin-off up to 9 or 10, and had a bunch of the 48-page specials and 3 issue mini-series. Off course that was back before Ken Penders decided to go down in infamy, but would you recommend their Mega Man series to someone like me?

Leagues beyond what you've read.

As for series that ended, those would be Zero (as noted) and Battle Network.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/26/11785728/mega-man-animated-series-2017-details
    According to Man of Action Entertainment, Mega Man's 2017 incarnation will feature what fans love best about the character — which is apparently "his unflinching wide-eyed optimism and an over-the-top sense of humor."
    Yes, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Mega Man is his over-the-top sense of humor.....

It's extra weird since in the comics with the Sonic crossover, Mega Man was notable as the serious one. Not like Tien or something where "I am taking this seriously" was the meta joke, but he hated combat and tried to focus on the job so he could get it done faster with less robodeath.

Mega Man really didn't like robodeath.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Yeah, the "over the top sense of humor" line worries me more than anything else.

Unless he literally has a humor program like the one in MMBN and MMSF. I could get behind a Mega Man who decided to install a humor program into himself and goes around making corny jokes like "What's an astronaut's favorite key on a keyboard? The space bar!"

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Re: cartoon

The first rule of adaptation is keep it close to the source and deviate only to fill in gaps- even then, only with stuff you're positive are great.

This thing ain't no Steven Universe. You can just tell, which is sad, why produce something mediocre at all?

Uh, that's all I got on Megaman? Bad times. I really like Megaman Powered Up and wish we had a sequel. Actually, a straight up Megaman Maker on par with Mario's would be great.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Uh, that's all I got on Megaman? Bad times. I really like Megaman Powered Up and wish we had a sequel. Actually, a straight up Megaman Maker for the NX/3DS please.

Oh man, do I have some bad news for you...
    http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_Universe

(seriously, if there was ever a time to revive this project, the wake of the Mario Maker hype would be it...)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The series as a whole had a pretty bad problem of starting stories, then giving up and jumping ahead to start a new plot. Meanwhile, not only would the new game directly reference the old, they'd do so via events that never actually happened in any game. As good as the Zero series was, I might have had a deeper connection with it if I actually knew what these "Elf wars" are. Meanwhile they're trying to make me really care that Dr. Weil is back, but all I'm thinking of is whether or not this is a really wonky translation issue or not, because it's not like these games have had the best localizations in the past.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Capcom doesn't give a hot shit about Mega Man besides farming out his old games for all eternity to make a quick buck.

In fact, they will undoubtedly use any flak MN9 gets as proof that kids these days don't want the Mega Mans.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Capcom doesn't give a hot shit about Mega Man besides farming out his old games for all eternity to make a quick buck.

In fact, they will undoubtedly use any flak MN9 gets as proof that kids these days don't want the Mega Mans.

Capcom USA does. Sadly they don't have much clout... (I still attribute Legacy Collection to them tho.. Notice that it was produced by an American studio...)

Edit: I will say though, one thing I have been worried about is this new cartoon design is a Capcom attempt to divorce the character from anything "Inafune" and they'll start making games based around this design now, retconning all the past stuff in favor of not-Inafune Mega Man

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    "Its totally not Wily this time, guys. I swear!" is probably my favorite running gag in video games.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    since bloodatonement brought up Bob and George...

I was always pretty partial to spin-off comic MS Paint Masterpieces' take on things. Somewhere between Kikaider the animation (I know it's based on a 70's tokusatsu show, but the original season felt very classic Mega Man with MMX tone to me) & the Protomen's original album (which is great music, but overly nihilistic imho) I kind of got stuck on the idea of Mega Man's story being a coming-of-age/loss of innocence type thing were he starts out trying to be a superhero, but gradually comes to realize just what he's taken on and is left feeling a kind of bitter resignation about the whole "fight for everlasting peace" thing. I haven't kept up with MSPA since the filler content intended to bridge MM1 & MM2, but if you can make it past the original silly arc to where he actually starts the MM1 storyline it's a great read.

The title is a bit unfortunate, but seeing as Bob & George ended around the same time MS Paint Adventures began, I'm fairly certain MSPM came first.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Yeah, "fight for everlasting peace" definitely ended up being "everlasting fight for peace". The ZX games actually got sorta meta with their villains wanting to "reset the world" to make a supposedly perfect one that won't need to be saved from anything. Each era's Mega Man had no chance of really achieving "everlasting peace", but they didn't just give up. X came close in Mega Man Zero, but when things got bad he gave everything he had to help Zero.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    It's not just that the writing is bad (which it is), but what annoys me is that they could never commit to it. None of the series would get a satisfying conclusion (or often any conclusion) before jumping ahead hundreds of years and starting over with new characters.

Of course they didn't. If they concluded a series then they wouldn't be able to go back and make more games of it. The whole point of the various series was to have divergent concurrently-running series to explore different ideas for the franchise without having to commit to any one new development.

I personally really appreciate being able to see the same world in multiple, distinguishable eras that each clearly lead into the next. It makes it feel more real, especially compared to the Legend of Zelda timeline.

• Options
    I liked the "mega man-verse" (for lack of a better term) too. Sorry if I come off too cynical, but I'm sure their reasons were more profit-motivated than they were about creative freedoms.

As for Zelda; at one point long before the "official timeline" Miyamoto or someone at Nintendo floated the idea that they were mostly just different tellings of the same story, like real life society does with Arthur or Robin Hood, and I actually really like that idea. At the very least I think they were better off leaving it mysterious, as the official line feels a bit messy to be honest. But for it's genre and aesthetics I think the games are fine sticking to a timeless milieu.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I liked the "mega man-verse" (for lack of a better term) too. Sorry if I come off too cynical, but I'm sure their reasons were more profit-motivated than they were about creative freedoms.

I feel that way about the X games after X5 (as well as everything in the Battle Network series after the third game and all of the Star Force series except the last game, which was a remarkable improvement in every way), but Inticreates at least really cared. except that for some reason they suddenly . An interview I saw a few years ago with a member of Inticreates revealed that they originally got involved with Mega Man because they offered to make Mega Man Legends 3 and were rejected. They went on to create the Zero and ZX series instead, both of which were noted in an interview in Mega Man Zero Official Complete Works to have been designed with the desire to create the transition from the world of Mega Man X to the world of Mega Man Legends.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Late to the party but what the fuck was that trailer.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Deep Silver being Deep Silver.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    They are so bad at marketing.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Which is weird. Didn't they knock Saints Row marketing out of the park?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Which is weird. Didn't they knock Saints Row marketing out of the park?

I'm guessing the marketing vision for Saints Row was a lot different than what you'd expect for a retro Megaman-esque game though.
    I mean this kind of over the top "DO YOU LIKE AWESOME STUFF THAT'S AWESOME?" probably works great for a game where you can beat people unconscious with a giant dildo then go steal a top of the line military jet to take out a street gang. But it doesn't seem to work as well with a new take on a classic style of video game.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Plus, I think Volition did the marketing in-house at Volition.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I thought the Dead Island 2 reveal trailer was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frnHuraEGxM

• Options
    Maybe you guys won't care about this, but looks like the Red Ash anime got their grant for the "Young Animator Training Program" by Japan's Agency for Cultural Affairs. Which is a fancy way of saying Japan is giving grants to animation studios for taking on essentially interns and teaching them animation. Basically this means they have more money to make the film even longer which is awesome :)

I still think that kickstarter was the one good thing to come out of that whole mess. Studio4C was very humble throughout the whole thing and I still think they are going to do a great job :)

• Options
    Red Ash was the one that was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Mega Man Legends, right? Anything that helps bring us closer to that being a possibility is a good thing if you ask me. It's a shame the kickstarter flopped, but running that while MNo9 was still in early stages was asking a bit much, and given the growing pains they're having it was probably for the best that they weren't trying to make two games at once. Hopefully Mighty and this anime do well enough that they can give it another shot in the future.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Red Ash was the one that was supposed to be a spiritual successor to Mega Man Legends, right? Anything that helps bring us closer to that being a possibility is a good thing if you ask me. It's a shame the kickstarter flopped, but running that while MNo9 was still in early stages was asking a bit much, and given the growing pains they're having it was probably for the best that they weren't trying to make two games at once. Hopefully Mighty and this anime do well enough that they can give it another shot in the future.

Except they didn't run it during "Early stages", they ran after announcing MN9 was delayed :rotate:

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Well that just reinforces my point that it was a bad time to try that kickstarter.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    MN9 wasn't out yet and people were already starting to get worried about it, they couldn't have picked a more bizzare time to try to start a second Kickstarter.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    MN9 wasn't out yet and people were already starting to get worried about it, they couldn't have picked a more bizzare time to try to start a second Kickstarter.

I mean, I completely understand their reasoning. The idea was they didn't want to fire all their staff who otherwise had no work (honestly, throughout this whole delay fiasco, they still wouldn't have had work if not for the weird ass publisher that agreed to finally do Red Ash, and whatever other projects they might have picked up - the people fixing the net code are not the same ones doing concept art and level designs and such :P). It was just really bad PR.

I would honestly say their biggest mistake was not hiring Fangamer again to manage it. They thought they learned enough from their first one to do it on their own, but they really didn't understand why that worked so well. I mean, look at Bloodstained. Also Fangamer, and they kept them on AFTER the Kickstarter finished to continue to handle the PR side of things. Surprise surprise, no one hates Bloodstained. I feel like Fangamer is really good at what they do and could maybe have even solved most of Might No 9's PR problems if they had stayed on. Because that's like 99% of what the issue is - rumors circulate of a delay, or a problem, and Comcept and Deep Silver are either dead silent or completely tone deaf addressing it. And of course, there's Deep Silver's marketing.... :P But I mean, when it comes to Red Ash, maybe Fangamer could have at least advised them how bad it would look, or marketed in such a way as to not piss off people waiting on MN9. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get from their other excellent work :)

• Options
    Really, it was a one-two punch of horrible timing and just plain incompetence. It was at a time when trust in the company was starting to severely wane. There's only so many times you can ask for handouts before people start telling you to give them what they paid for first. I know there's the whole "The game is finished, we can't just sit on our ass" angle, and it makes sense. But kickstarting kind of throws logic out the window. People don't give a shit. They want what they paid for first. They wanted to know they could fully "trust" Comcept, and that trust was rock bottom at the time.

And the Kickstarter itself was just shit. Really vague, they didn't even have defined stretch goals. There was mention that there was some Chinese backer for the game too. And once it looked like the kickstarter was DOA, magically the game is now being funding by this backer, making it look real fucking sketchy and having people wonder why they even needed the kickstarter in the first place. Not to mention if you googled said backer, some company named Fuze, you got a website blatantly copyright stealing images and announcing they're making a new console. And funnily enough, if you try to view their website now, it's just a 404 error. So who knows what the fuck is going on with the game now.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    It's been a while, but I thought I remembered the part with the Chinese backer company essentially being "Hey, please support our kickstarter so that we don't end up under the thumb of this shady company that's trying to buy us. Oh, the kickstarter failed, I guess we're under the thumb of this shady company now."

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    It's been a while, but I thought I remembered the part with the Chinese backer company essentially being "Hey, please support our kickstarter so that we don't end up under the thumb of this shady company that's trying to buy us. Oh, the kickstarter failed, I guess we're under the thumb of this shady company now."

I feel like it's kind of this, or maybe what interest the kickstarter DID generate was enough to give a shady publisher trying to make a bad console incentive to publish the game. Probably with some bad contract like it's starting to sound like the Deep Silver one may have been. I honestly don't know what's going to happen with Red Ash - it's probably telling that we've literally heard nothing on it in a year.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/1600240
    Hey Mighties,

With the release of Mighty No. 9 approaching, we have delivered a ton of info regarding the game and rewards to our backers through these updates, to the point where some may think we don't have anything else to share!

However, haven't you forgotten about one specific character?
    Yup, that's right! In this update we are going to share more details about Beck's rival, the Vermilion Destroyer RAY!

Our art team worked hard to create our very own trailer to tease some more info about RAY, and to also convey the overall style our team was going with for the character.

Check it out below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_dzxeDtJWk

You can find even more information about the design process for RAY here.
    Be sure to check it out! There are some KIMOKIMO design sketches and such that have never been shown before!

Until next time Mighties! (`_´)ゞ
    -The Mighty No. 9 Team

I'll give them credit though, the music is pretty damn good.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So a few of the levels might actually look nice.

The rival looks lame, mighty rival form or whatever looks lame, but playing as it might be entertaining.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    So they added a not-Zero?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Yeah... but instead of gets-shit-done-bishie-zero they added edgelord-zero.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Feels like a ridiculously not-subtle jab at the "Zero kills the MM era" theory that used to float about.

• Options
    Woof.

The rival looks like a fugly mash-up of EXE-era Bass & Harley Quinn. Gameplay wise it does look like MMX4 cheese-mode Zero (which was fun, but gets boring compared to X).

Is it just me or was that voice acting atrocious? It sounded like they grabbed a random staffer to do it.

Also, was the video stuttering or does Mighty really make rapid-fire short dashes to move across ordinary ground in that video? Are we really going to have to continually mash the dash button to play the game? Why can't it just be a continuous motion if you're supposed to use it that consistently?

camo_sig2-400.png