As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    After Cryo fires her first shot, if you immediately break her pillar she falls and lands on her back and is stunned for a good 5 or seconds allowing you free time to blast her with whatever you can.

Getting that right every time is literally the only way I've even been able to put a dent in her with Ray.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I can't imagine that's a whole lot more elegant, but at least it's something. It's clear though that the game was clearly not balanced for Ray and Ray was clearly not balanced for the game.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    You know what's just a slap in the nuts? Backing a game for a physical copy, seeing psychical copies on store shelves. Not having any ETA of the physical copy you were supposed to get through Kickstarter.

Artoria on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    dragonsama wrote: »
    You know what's just a slap in the nuts? Backing a game for a physical copy, seeing psychical copies on store shelves. Not having any ETA of the physical copy you were supposed to get through Kickstarter.

Yeah, that really sucks. It happened to me with the MYTH boardgame. I wasn't anywhere close to having my copy, and I could see it in store shelves. I eventually got a refund for my pledge, turned out the game wasn't that great anyway. So I guess I lucked out in the end.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular

Uh. What? Can you elaborate on the details a bit for people who didn't follow the Kickster fumble?

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Don't know if this is what dragonsama is talking about, but one of the rewards for backing at a certain tier or as an add-on was a copy of the game on a cartridge shaped USB stick. After the initial survey for choosing whether you wanted a Famicom style or NES style cart, there was little to no new info on the status of said reward. People are still in the dark about it.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Don't know if this is what dragonsama is talking about, but one of the rewards for backing at a certain tier or as an add-on was a copy of the game on a cartridge shaped USB stick. After the initial survey for choosing whether you wanted a Famicom style or NES style cart, there was little to no new info on the status of said reward. People are still in the dark about it.

I think that's what he means. I sure as hell would like to know myself.

Also find it a little shitty they didn't offer these people at least an early Steam key while they wait for the actual USB drive to ship.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    You could back for a USB stick/cartridge that had the PC version on it. Later they added getting a Physical copy of the game on the platform of your choice as well. Needless to say I haven't gotten either of them and they are not saying when/if any of the backers will.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Damn, is there any aspect of this whole thing that didn't go wrong somehow?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    So... just watched Fahey do a run of the first stage of this game and the game has an "uncanny valley"-eseque feel of MM X to me.

As far as the levels go, did they include secret areas so that you can revisit stages and get other parts or whatever?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    No there's nothing to collect and no point to your collected Xels beyond a score.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Damn, is there any aspect of this whole thing that didn't go wrong somehow?

I guess the music is ok. Probably the only aspect I haven't heard any slag on.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    This game is...

Pretty okay, really. It's a new Mega Man game. I keep messing my own head up by trying to walljump all the time but otherwise seems a solid entry. Level design has a few quirks but definitely mid-range as far as platformers go.

Methinks there's much ado about nothing.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    This game is...

Pretty okay, really. It's a new Mega Man game. I keep messing my own head up by trying to walljump all the time but otherwise seems a solid entry. Level design has a few quirks but definitely mid-range as far as platformers go.

Methinks there's much ado about nothing.

There are legitimate polish issues (script errors, bad voice acting) and tech issues (crashes, loads, framerate).

Beyond those, there's plenty of design choices that have many of us asking questions. Is this mediocre title really from the father of Megaman? How did he forget so many of the lessons he learned in the past? Hell, he pretty much wrote the textbook! Calls into question just how much of the good design in the various MM games he was really responsible for.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Other than the odd crash, the game is perfectly fine. Best Mega Man game? No, but does it at least feel like one? Absolutely.

There are still plenty of legitimate complaints to be lobbied at Comcept for the handling of the launch, the various delays, the possibility that the game could be more than it is (this one is a flimsy argument though), and the complete lack of feedback to backers who paid at higher tiers and have yet to have their physical rewards issued.

If you separate the game from the company, the game is fine by itself. Comcept's entire kickstarter process from the day funding ended to the game's release date will probably go down in history as a lesson of how not to have a 4 million dollar crowdfunded experience.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Viskod wrote: »
    No there's nothing to collect and no point to your collected Xels beyond a score.

Oh. So this is strictly inspired by the earlier Mega Man games in terms of gameplay?

edit: I will say this, the Golden Beck dlc addon or whatever using that song... in its description is an incredibly obscure reference that's probably older than most of the people playing the game. o_o

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    [ADLIB SCREAMING IN FRUSTRATION]

Trying to do swordguy with Ray is infuriating. Using her normal melee attacks is just hilariously out of the question, the only weapon I've got that works somewhat well against him is the Cryo one, but Ray gets the bouncy ice orbs that can bounce right over his fucking head.

Not to mention with Rays constantly draining life and all the avoiding and leaping around you have to do between keeps you constantly at 0% health before your next chance to absorb to refill your life, which means I guess I've got to get through two instances of his dashing multi directional slashes without getting hit once, which I have so far not been able to do.

Maybe excavation guys weapon works better against this dude, but I can't beat him either. They're the only two left I have with Ray and I'm probably going to call it quits because this is just honestly not fun at all now.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Other than the odd crash, the game is perfectly fine.

The frequency of said crashes is really anything but. I don't have an axe to grind over the KS itself, but man do I have one for the number of times it's hardlocked my system so far.

• Options
    I never had a crash or any kind of slow down outside of the cryo stage or frame rate problems. I guess the PS4 is the lucky system or I've just been lucky myself.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Houn wrote: »
    Is this mediocre title really from the father of Megaman?

No, it's actually not.

(This isn't a new statement as some kind of excuse, that thread is from 2007)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

No, it's actually not.

Yeah, he didn't invent mega man but he kept the series going for a long time. Hell, Mega Man 2 was basically a pet-project and worked on on the side by the capcom developers and its arguably one of the best ones

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

No, it's actually not.

Huh. That's interesting.

I was more talking about the level design and gameplay of the series than the character himself, but hey, I learned a thing today. So, who was responsible for all the great level design choices in MM2? What game is that guy working on next?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Uh. What? Can you elaborate on the details a bit for people who didn't follow the Kickster fumble?

It's a very common occurrence for Kickstarted products to get to retail before the backers; I mean they have a huge system in place to get stuff to retailers and just the post office for the individual backers. Most projects don't promise anything like "you'll get it first" anymore since it so rarely happens.

• Options
    They could try maybe going to the post office earlier?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

The problem is probably more with the publisher if it isn't being published by the same outfit as those who ran the kickstarter. In this case, Deep Silver got brought on to publish after the fact.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

Trying to organize shipments for hundreds of individual addresses that could be for any one of many multiple platforms is somewhat more complicated than standard shipping to retail chains.

• Options
    I'm not saying it's easy, but why bother backing if you can't even get the game by release date? And it sounds like this is the norm for Kickstarters. It just makes me even less likely to back games in the future.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    With the PSN cross-buy, how does that work?

I bought the PS4 physical version, which had the cross-buy stuff. That only entitles me to the PS3 and Vita digital versions, I guess?

It would have been cool if it unlocked the digital version of the PS4 game so I don't need the disc in the drive. Maybe they wanted to avoid providing duplicate copies. I guess. Meh.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

They go when they get the stuff packed. Some stuff goes right to the distributors and they process much much faster. That's just how things are.

There are some outliers where the stuff is on shelves for MOTHS before backers get them which is 100% unacceptable but mostly it's no more than a week or two.
    I'm not saying it's easy, but why bother backing if you can't even get the game by release date? And it sounds like this is the norm for Kickstarters. It just makes me even less likely to back games in the future.
    The idea is to back games to get them to happen at all; not just as a pre-order so you get them at release. If you want that, just pre-order at a retailer.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, I've kickstarted so many things at this point - I don't consider it a preorder.

That said, I also understand why people would be pissed if retail consumers get the item before backers. I consider that in poor taste. That's like if King Louis XIV petitioned you to paint something for him, then you show everyone else in France first, and then show King Louis XIV last. Then he beheads you. This is exactly like that.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    It's not poor taste, it's just common sense logistics.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    With the PSN cross-buy, how does that work?

I bought the PS4 physical version, which had the cross-buy stuff. That only entitles me to the PS3 and Vita digital versions, I guess?

It would have been cool if it unlocked the digital version of the PS4 game so I don't need the disc in the drive. Maybe they wanted to avoid providing duplicate copies. I guess. Meh.

Cross-buy means if you buy physical or digital on PS4 you get the other specified versions for free. If buying the physical version meant getting the digital fro free, people would just buy it, redeem the code for the digital version and then return or trade-in the disc.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Finished the Robot Master stages and the Call stage last night.

Fuck the sniper stage. Who puts the worst kind of FedEx backtracking quest into a platform shooter?

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular

Fuck the sniper stage. Who puts the worst kind of FedEx backtracking quest into a platform shooter?

I haven't played the game, nor do I have an interest in doing so, but it sounds like it would have worked if the area was populated in repeat visits -- with different enemies, ideally, but I'd take anything.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    It's not poor taste, it's just common sense logistics.

I feel sorry for the post office that has to process several hundred packages in on top of the normal loads they have, in addition to their normal bulk and mass orders.

But I would imagine that they would go through a distributor and not be walking up to the local UPS or other post with a van full of packets and all for a project of this magnitude too...

• Options

I haven't played the game, nor do I have an interest in doing so, but it sounds like it would have worked if the area was populated in repeat visits -- with different enemies, ideally, but I'd take anything.

The areas are long boring corridors with limited verticality, interspersed with moments of standing behind cover while shots are fired at you from off-screen. The enemies not respawning is actually a blessing here, because there's nothing interesting or engaging about the areas themselves, so depopulating them at least speeds traversal time on subsequent backtracks.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Four hours of credits for all the backers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znfU6zXvVcQ

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I was more talking about the level design and gameplay of the series than the character himself, but hey, I learned a thing today. So, who was responsible for all the great level design choices in MM2? What game is that guy working on next?

A recently translated interview talks with Akira Kitamura, who is probably one of the true brains behind the first two MM games:
    http://shmuplations.com/megaman/

He thought very deeply about every aspect of the game that he was involved in, and it really shows in the game and in what he has to say about it.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options

I absolutely love the concept of the sniper stage, and the stage itself.

However, it just drags on too much. The hallways are too long and you have to find him too many times.

• Options
    Aaaaaand fuck this last boss. I can beat the first form without taking a hit now, but after probably 13 lives thrown at it, I'm done. Don't care how it ends, last boss is not only hard as balls, but the framerate tanks through the whole second phase.

We're done, Mighty No. 9. I'll YouTube the ending.