As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[minecraft] Terrible graphics, terrible OP, awesome game

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Which is only going to lead to power creep IMHO. There's almost been a "gentleman's agreement" when it comes to ore multiplication as anyone jumping ahead of the pack of 2x with some tiny extras will just lead to an arms race and the so called balance being thrown out the window, especially if GT is involved. Factorisation's chain skirted that by tacking on a hard-to-automate system to it as well as a large time requirement that necessitated scaling out, but still only provided 3x.

to be fair the rotarycraft extractor takes so damn long its only worth it on things like reactor fuel and rare ore.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Server stuff! (again)

New hosting invoice :3 *not so subtle hint*

Backup schedule has been moved to a 2hour schedule with a 2 day retention. I've still got half a mind to change it to hourly but the constant spam of 'Server backing up!' may grate. Even if it's a nice hourly reminder of how much of your life is going into Minecraft

Mod updates sometime this week. Probably in time for the Easter long weekend.

I'm contemplating boosting the heat value of solid/liquid fuels in boilers by a sizable margin. Thinking of a starting point of a 40% boost, which will mean your solid boilers will require 29% less fuel, and the same again on top of that for liquids.
    There's two levers that I can operate in regards to boilers - Heat value for fuels as a multiplier, and steam production as a multiplier. The second, steam production, is rather unwieldy as it does add additional complications in extracting the energy out of the boiler as you need moar pipes.

Basically, I'm pondering a much larger 'house rule' modification, possibly pushing steam boilers into a mid tier option for power but the top end would be more Big Reactors/Reactorcraft. Thoughts?

On the topic of modifications, I'm, again, contemplating adding alternative means to get certain decorative blocks like marble via means other than quarrying out the entire world and more. It'll involve crafting Magical Crop essences and/or vending block purchases. Thoughts on this?

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    I just skipped mid tier altogether. A small big reactor is really pretty easy to build.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I do like the idea of vending blocks for marble. I mean, it hasn't been an issue yet, as part of the build I'm doing requires me to quarry out, but I know I'm going to be needing more, and will possibly deplete everyone's supply.
    Once again Takel, you are a gentleman and scholar.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Could I get a mate of mine on the whitelist? He doesn't post on the forums but I'd love to get him on this. His MC name Themassiveyong.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is there somewhere I can find a list of the basics for an operable ME Net? I'd like to get one going, especially when we start moving into the final construction, but I always get lost somewhere between the access terminal and accidentally creating a second crafting interface.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    At least you are a little further than I am Brody. The whole ME net thing is kind of scary.
    So scary.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    It's actually pretty simple. You need an ME Controller to supply power to the network, an ME Chest or Drive to hold storage cells (a chest can hold a single cell, a drive can hold 10), and some access terminals for basic item storage. It all needs to be either touching, or connected by ME cable. The Controller accepts MJ or RF.

The autocrafting is a little more complicated (Especially if you want external crafting like furnaces or grinders in there) but once you do it once or twice it's really easy to get the hang of. The problem is that I'm always short on Certus to do anything really cool with my ME net.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    It's actually pretty simple. You need an ME Controller to supply power to the network, an ME Chest or Drive to hold storage cells (a chest can hold a single cell, a drive can hold 10), and some access terminals for basic item storage.

The autocrafting is a little more complicated (Especially if you want external crafting like furnaces or grinders in there) but once you do it once or twice it's really easy to get the hang of. The problem is that I'm always short on Certus to do anything really cool with my ME net.

Certus magic plants?

• Options
    This is the first server I've ever used magic crops on, so I tend to forget it exists for more than lava.

• Options
    Magic crops are the greatest thing.
    Greatest.

• Options
    Yeah, Im always worried I won't have enough storage disks, and usually Im worried about power, but I guess that wont be a thing anymore.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Because of reactors!
    Ugh...going to have to plan a portion for reactors and all the fun toys!

Also if you haven't yet seen my glorious hole (heh), go check it out, because the guard building is about to be removed!

• Options
    Is there a way to place the snow covering on a block? And will it melt in a warmer biome?

• Options
    I think snow melts in certain light conditions/biomes?
    I know there is an unmelting ice recipe with the mod. Sorry I can't help more from work :/

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    There's a vanilla recipe using snowballs to make the snow covering that weather produces, but most biomes will melt it. Carpenters blocks can be covered with snow through a different means which will not melt. Ice in carpenters blocks also won't melt.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    How have you been man?

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Alumentum-fired solid boilers are so incredibly easy to set up into perpetual-motion with a little thaumcrafting that I wouldn't boost solid boilers. Liquid boilers may need an anti-nerf though, never really got why the Railcraft/Buildcraft people agreed on that one.

• Options
    Takel wrote: »
    Server stuff! (again)

New hosting invoice :3 *not so subtle hint*

Backup schedule has been moved to a 2hour schedule with a 2 day retention. I've still got half a mind to change it to hourly but the constant spam of 'Server backing up!' may grate. Even if it's a nice hourly reminder of how much of your life is going into Minecraft

Mod updates sometime this week. Probably in time for the Easter long weekend.

I'm contemplating boosting the heat value of solid/liquid fuels in boilers by a sizable margin. Thinking of a starting point of a 40% boost, which will mean your solid boilers will require 29% less fuel, and the same again on top of that for liquids.
    There's two levers that I can operate in regards to boilers - Heat value for fuels as a multiplier, and steam production as a multiplier. The second, steam production, is rather unwieldy as it does add additional complications in extracting the energy out of the boiler as you need moar pipes.

Basically, I'm pondering a much larger 'house rule' modification, possibly pushing steam boilers into a mid tier option for power but the top end would be more Big Reactors/Reactorcraft. Thoughts?

On the topic of modifications, I'm, again, contemplating adding alternative means to get certain decorative blocks like marble via means other than quarrying out the entire world and more. It'll involve crafting Magical Crop essences and/or vending block purchases. Thoughts on this?

@Takel‌

I think the easiest way to do it with magic crops would be just add a new recipe using some combination of earth/water/fire/air essence from the earth/water/fire/air essence plants.

Like..Maybe 8 earth essences in a circle with a fire in the middle gives 32 marble?

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    How have you been man?

Between working and generally wasting my free time, rather alright

May hop back into the server for a project I FINALLY have a blueprint for

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Let us make it out of Nature Essence. Got all this Nature Essence I never use. It's just lying around.

• Options
    Lora, I will literally give you anything you ask of me for nature essence. Its only gatherable as a byproduct from manual harvesting, and I need a lot of it for..reasons.

Also, apparently Big Reactor reactors chunkload themselves. Because even though I had no chunkloader at my base, it pointlessly consumed all 10 stacks of uranium I had in its feed chest over night, when no one else was around.

• Options
    Actually I might not be on the whitelist

Blindduke for striking the earth

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Whitelist updated.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Buttcleft is doing creepy and evil blood magic! He needs your nature essence so he can continue sacrificing his blood to the Blood God! At least that's what I'm using nature essence for

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    All my nature essence disappeared somewhere in the base reorganization.

Also, in case anyone else didn't know, portal guns now use 'fuel' in the form of ender dust. It uses the dust whether or not a portal is successfully placed, so you have to go slow and carefully aim at the middle of the block or you might get stuck. You also cannot load the dust into the gun itself, so you have to waste another inventory slot for it, and this pretty much ruins the tactic of using a portal gun for gathering mobs. Annoyance.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Buttcleft is doing creepy and evil blood magic! He needs your nature essence so he can continue sacrificing his blood to the Blood God! At least that's what I'm using nature essence for

I actually need about 900-1000 lilypads for..reasons.

I can make lilypads with nature essence.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Botznoy wrote: »

Classy would-be evil overlords 'employ' flesh golems...

• Options
    Huggles wrote: »
    Alumentum-fired solid boilers are so incredibly easy to set up into perpetual-motion with a little thaumcrafting that I wouldn't boost solid boilers. Liquid boilers may need an anti-nerf though, never really got why the Railcraft/Buildcraft people agreed on that one.

Because 'everyone' used ethanol boilers, never mind that plank/slab fired boilers were even easier to manage since boilers pulled from adjacent inventories. Not to mention, things were done during that era due to the lack of viable alternatives. Bees were bred because there were no real alternatives to generating resources outside of the limited UU-Matter infrastructure and devouring worlds. Also, boilers were a huge single shot energy generator rather than scaling out with fuel refineries and micromanaging combustion engines. I recall posts where people were asking others why they needed TWO self-contained perpetual lava boiler modules that produced 70+ MJ/t each.

Also, in case anyone else didn't know, portal guns now use 'fuel' in the form of ender dust.
    As of the next server reboot, they won't.

• Options
    Quick clarification:
    I noticed a question being floated in the server and I was busy doing other stuff (like work that pays the bills! Imagine that I don't work on the server 24/7!)

Anyhow, Hunger Overhaul does indeed modify most of the growable foodstuffs it can tag. It does this by tweaking a few things:
    Growth Speed
    Crop Yield
    Seed Yield

For the most part, the time taken to grow stuff has been doubled. However, at minimum each crop harvesting will yield 2 crops up to a maximum of 4, while seeds are 1-3 per harvest.

I haven't noticed the crop yields to be on the low side, but for the stuffs that are affected by Hunger Overhaul, they are guaranteed to drop at least one seed, hence 100% guaranteed to be sustainable and expandable. On top of that, you can simply right-click on a mature crop with an empty hand to harvest and reset the plant to 0% growth without destroying the plant, hence hand-harvesting you are guaranteed to come out ahead in seeds. In fact, you don't even need to replant and that includes stuff like potatoes and carrots.

In short; Hunger Overhaul's config makes hunger a bit more of a constant thorn in the side, which obviously can be mitigated with automated farming, feeding and crafting the higher end foods. However, it shouldn't make farming more tedious than standard mechanics. If anything, it's a yield increase if you're mining/doing other stuff while waiting for stuff to grow because you can spend longer doing other stuff without having to baby-sit your crops. If you are desperate; watering can or bone meal. Don't forget a flint hatchet is a totally serviceable weapon to chop up zombies, spiders, skeletons and pigs.

• Options
    I noticed the lettuce was dropping zero seeds, but yielding more than one head of lettuce on average, so turning some of the lettuce back into seeds works more or less.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Any chance of getting the latest update of Blood Magic?

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    I think updates are planned for before the weekend aren't they? Hopefully they don't break anything.
    Also if it isn't too much work can we get vendor or recipe for some of the either blocks like abbysal stone or quarried or...whatever else there is?

• Options
    Yeap. I'm planning on going through and checking for mod updates tomorrow before testing, making the appropriate config updates then deploying hopefully in time for the Easter weekend.

The lettuce behaviour certainly doesn't sound like it's being touched by Hunger Overhaul. If you're not getting at least two heads of lettuce per harvest, it's unmodified.

To the nutter in this thread; you know who you are. You're nuts. And thanks.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Thaumcraft 1.7.2. Just saying.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    I think really MFR is just having some problems. The problem with the blaze seeds is similar to one I had with coal seeds (although that one had something to do with pipes backing up), and it's probably related to the lettuce seed problem. I also do not get seeds from my tomatoes, although it is less of a problem since the plants are not harvested when the tomatoes are picked. I just want to automate my BLT production :(

• Options
    Thaumcraft is bestcraft.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    Thaumcraft is bestcraft.

That's a weird way of spelling Mystcraft

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    We don't talk about server breaking crafts...

• Options
    I need to figure out a way to control a big reactors reactor with rednet so when it senses my total power storage capacity is under 50% it'll activate the reactor until everything is fully charged before powering it back down.

It seems impractically wasteful to run big reactors all the time without some renewable source of fuel.