As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Image-Verse

2»

• Options
    TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I thought it was obvious it was a parody.

TylerXKJ on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TylerXKJ wrote: »

That doesn't excuse anything.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

what is it a parody of?

good comics?

is it being terrible ironically?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Well I think it's funny.

So there.

TylerXKJ on
  • Options
    GladiGladi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

what is it a parody of?

good comics?

Bright day
    People, does not a well thought and constructed criticism of a literary work, bring a fuzzy feeling to your heart? Oh yes, it does. To bad there is no such thing here.

Gladi on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Invincible is rad, Firebreather sounds interesting but I had never heard of it before now.

I got the first Firebreather book on sale a few months back, I really liked it actually. Character design is really nice and so far the story is intriguing.

His father is on some reserve where he's supposed to stay, and the govt. enforces the visitation rights. Some sort of deal where they don't kill him and he doesn't cause trouble. Kid gets in a bit of an arguement with his dad.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

what is it a parody of?

good comics?

Not saying that Bomb Queen isn't trash, but there are some things that are terrible ironically.

Doom Force!

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Has anyone purchased some of those "phonebook" volumes of Savage Dragon yet? How's the art look in black and white? I'm kind of thinking of buying them as they come out, just because the book seems like it'd be really interesting from what I've read. The fact that Larsen's been doing the book on a steady schedule for like, a decade kind of amazes me too, and makes me want to see how the book and art have progressed over the years.

Yea or nay?

Munch on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LRG wrote: »
    Huh. When I hear "Manga", I figure it's from Japan, not that it just has a style.

There's a whole catagory called 'American Manga' or 'Original English Language (OEL) Manga'. People like Fred Perry, Ben Dunn, or Adam Warren.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    This August Robert Kirkman's lost science fiction classic, TECH JACKET, returns in a collection reprinting the entire first series in color for the very first time.

Many fans associate Robert Kirkman with his hit superhero series INVINCIBLE, but he first made readers take notice with a six-issue miniseries involving a boy and his battle armor: TECH JACKET. Zack Thompson was an ordinary teenager until his family was thrust into the center of an alien civil war. When things looked at their worst Zack was fused against his will with a battle vest capable of granting him infinite power.

"TECH JACKET has always been a big favorite of mine," Kirkman says. "Zack's not like a typical comic book teenager. He's far from a big dork or a wealthy heir. His family is working class - just like most people out there. In fact, he's probably the creation of mine I relate to the most."

While TECH JACKET was available as a color collection overseas, this marks the first time North American fans will be so lucky. Besides that, Kirkman is jam packing the collection with exclusive sketches and a personally written introduction.

TECH JACKET, VOL. 1: THE BOY FROM EARTH (JUN07 1906), a 144-page trade paperback with a cover price of $14.99, is available for order now in the August issue of Previews and will go on sale August 15.
    TechJacket.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So was this good?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    You're just jealous. :P

No, I'm offended.

Keep telling yourself that. You know you love Bomb Queen. ;-)

Hmm, I could have sworn I replied to this earlier.

Oh well, let me do so now.

"No. Fuck you."

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    A trade collecting another one of Kirkman's little known stories, Capes, will be arriving in stores on July 11th. Originally printed as a mini-series, and then as back-ups in Invincible, it looks like it'll be a lot of fun. Several of these characters regularly pop up in Kirkman's other books as well, so if they look familiar, that's why.

51vzonx2btnlss500qk3.jpg
    This July, Robert Kirkman’s CAPES VOLUME ONE: PUNCHING THE CLOCK TPB hits stands to prove that his passion for superheroics just can’t be stopped.

“While I’ve got my own personal sandbox of super-toys in Invincible, I ended up creating too many to fit in the box,” Kirkman explained. “The page of CAPES includes its own mammoth cast with their own personal dramas that deserved their own spotlight as opposed to the background of someone else’s book. I love this genre too much to limit it to just one title!”

CAPES tells the story of a business that employs super-powered
    individuals to protect the city of New York and occasionally, the
    world. They’re all on the payroll superheroes that punch a time clock,
    take lunch breaks and get overtime. Unfortunately for them, their work routine
    comes crashing down when a betrayal from within threatens to unwind their
    entire operation. All this is visually conveyed through the bombastic pencils and inks of series artist Mark Englert.

CAPES, VOLUME ONE: PUNCHING THE CLOCK is a 144-page full-color
    trade paperback with a cover price of $14.99 and goes on sale July
    11, 2007.

Munch on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They had a fairly decent storyline on the chronodile for the capes

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Having read the original Capes mini, I can vouch for the quality of it. It's a quality superhero story, with some funny as hell moments.

Kid Thor is one of my favorite characters Kirkman has created, and the fact that Knockout wears a pair of fake boobs so that she can get more publicity as a superhero is pretty awesome.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Wait, did new issues of Wolfman come out since the free issue? I thought the next issue would be immediately after, but I kind of lost track after moving.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Wait, did new issues of Wolfman come out since the free issue? I thought the next issue would be immediately after, but I kind of lost track after moving.

As I recall, after they did the free issue they were going to do a re-release of it for anyone who missed it, and then issue two would follow. So the story should continue in July.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The second issue of Wolf-Man comes out this Wednesday.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The first issue was a pretty big let down, but I'm willing to give it a few more issues for it to pick up.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I still can't decide whether or not I like Wolf-Man's art. It's like.. I usually like cartoony stuff, but something about it sort of turns me off. Not enough to stop reading or anything, but I think it's going to take a while for me to get used to it.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I like Wolf-Man's art, but it has the same problem Alex Ross's art does. It has no action, it looks like everyone is standing still in their various poses.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Also, this should probably be in the Image Universe thread.

Regardless of whether or not he's actually evil, Zechariah talks like a cliched "mentor in the first hour, villain in the second" movie villain. I don't care if it's misdirection, because even if that's the case it's still poor writing. If he's evil it's predictable, and if he isn't then it's just a heavy-handed attempt to mislead the audience that compromises quality in pursuit of little more than a cheap surprise.

I mean, can you imagine someone accidentally telegraphing themselves as evil, zombifying a workforce and inadvertently implying that there's something sinister about their eating habits when that's exactly the kind of image a good vampire would try to avoid?

And what're some instances of good dialogue in Wolf-Man?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    There were no moving monologues or anything, but here's some random dialogue that I found perfectly acceptable.
    Gary: Morning hon'.
    Rebecca: [chastises Gary for coming in half-naked and shoeless, concerned their daughter will discover his secret]
    Gary: She'll think I was out jogging early in the morning.. half naked.. with no shoes?
    [blahblahblah]
    Gary: I seriously doubt someone seeing me walk in barefoot with no shirt is going to make them immediately suspect I'm a werewolf. You worry too much.

Gary: Rebecca-- has Chloe said anything to you about having a boyfriend? I think she might have a boyfriend. Makes me a little worried. Rebecca?
    Rebecca: [from bedroom] I'll be out in a minute.
    Gary: Well-- come out and give me a kiss. I've got to get to my night job.
    Rebecca: [emerges in lingerie] Do you really need to go so soon?
    Gary: I-- uh-- Zechariah can wait a bit tonight. Come here.

He's no Bendis, with the whole, "What are you doing?" "What am I doing?" "Yeah what're you doing?" "What am I doing? What are you doing?" "Nevermind what I'm doing, I asked first." "Well I asked last so answer me first and then I'll answer what you said first," kind of thing ad nauseum, but I think he writes perfectly suitable back-and-forth dialogue.

And like I said, I don't think it's God's gift to comics or anything, but I can see it turning into something good, given enough time to find its legs.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I was kind of hoping to see more of him as dad since that's a very rare quality for a hero to have, with it being even rarer to have a teenaged girl for a child. The only other instance that comes to mind is Tom Strong, and Tesla was hardly a normal girl.

But yeah, it's only the second issue and maybe I am being inordinately harsh as a result.

The exchanges you quoted aren't exactly great, mind you, but if nothing else Kirkman's other work has more than proven his competency.

Still, I'd rather Ant-Man had been spared.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There were no moving monologues or anything, but here's some random dialogue that I found perfectly acceptable.
    Gary: Morning hon'.
    Rebecca: [chastises Gary for coming in half-naked and shoeless, concerned their daughter will discover his secret]
    Gary: She'll think I was out jogging early in the morning.. half naked.. with no shoes?
    [blahblahblah]
    Gary: I seriously doubt someone seeing me walk in barefoot with no shirt is going to make them immediately suspect I'm a werewolf. You worry too much.

Gary: Rebecca-- has Chloe said anything to you about having a boyfriend? I think she might have a boyfriend. Makes me a little worried. Rebecca?
    Rebecca: [from bedroom] I'll be out in a minute.
    Gary: Well-- come out and give me a kiss. I've got to get to my night job.
    Rebecca: [emerges in lingerie] Do you really need to go so soon?
    Gary: I-- uh-- Zechariah can wait a bit tonight. Come here.

He's no Bendis, with the whole, "What are you doing?" "What am I doing?" "Yeah what're you doing?" "What am I doing? What are you doing?" "Nevermind what I'm doing, I asked first." "Well I asked last so answer me first and then I'll answer what you said first," kind of thing ad nauseum, but I think he writes perfectly suitable back-and-forth dialogue.

And like I said, I don't think it's God's gift to comics or anything, but I can see it turning into something good, given enough time to find its legs.

Kirkman is pretty good, and I kinda have enjoyed his image offerings (Invincible and Walking Dead), but his coming on Ultimate Xmen was what made me stop buying the book.

But then he´s pretty new to the writing scene, compared to Whedon, Ellis, Moore, Ennis and Bendis, I can see him becoming one hell of a writer in the future.

JCM on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dynamo5trade.jpg
    Following DYNAMO 5's multiple sellouts, Image Comics and creators Jay Faerber and Mahmud A. Asrar have announced the first DYNAMO 5 collection will be a massive 176-page trade paperback with the low introductory price of $9.99.

"With issue four's sell-out and the series' rising orders, it's obvious there's a high demand for the trade paperback," said Faerber. "We decided to go with a special low price, as I want as many eyes to see this as possible, especially with the new arc kicking off the same day!"

The trade, collecting DYNAMO 5's first seven issues, begins with the death of the world's greatest hero, Captain Dynamo, and his enemies' subsequent onslaught upon on his unprotected city. With no one to stand against them, his widow locates his five illegitimate children, each of whom have inherited one of their father's super-powers. Can these total strangers come to terms with their powers, their father's legacy and each other as total chaos erupts?

"DYNAMO 5 has been a tremendous success thus far," adds Eric Stephenson, Executive Director of Image Comics. "Between the issues selling out and the ecstatic reviews it's obvious the series' reception is overwhelmingly positive. We don't doubt that the trade will get new readers onboard!"

DYNAMO 5, Vol. 1: POST-NUCLEAR FAMILY (AUG071992) will be available for order in the August issue of Diamond Previews and will go on sale October 3 alongside DYNAMO 5 #8 (AUG072006) .
    7 Issues of a Promising Series for 10 bucks?

Yes please.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I read the first issue of that online and really enjoyed it, so I'm definitely picking it up. It's so weird to see how far Image has come in terms of producing such quality stuff.

Munch on
  • Options
    Highlander_77Highlander_77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Has anyone purchased some of those "phonebook" volumes of Savage Dragon yet? How's the art look in black and white? I'm kind of thinking of buying them as they come out, just because the book seems like it'd be really interesting from what I've read. The fact that Larsen's been doing the book on a steady schedule for like, a decade kind of amazes me too, and makes me want to see how the book and art have progressed over the years.

Yea or nay?

He's been doing it for more than a decade...since 1993, to be exact. It was one of my favorite books back in my younger days of collecting comics...and I plan on picking it up again now that I've started collecting comics again...as soon as a new issue actually comes out (in the meantime, I need to start filling in back issues...the last issue I have is #80...and it's up into the 130's now. So I've got a lot of catching up to do).

As for the archive volumes, I can't imagine that the art looks great in B&W, but it's definitely a good (and inexpensive) way to get up to speed on the series.

Highlander_77 on
    El_Pollo_Diablo.jpg"Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!"
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So what's up with the Capes and Tech Jacket trades? Capes said it was briefly available on Amazon, but was always listed as only shipping in like, three months, and now there's no trace of it. Plus, it was never in Image's shipping schedule. Tech Jacket's also missed its release date.

I want more Kirkman superheroes dagnabbit.

Munch on