As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Eric Pope and Dave Lang Thread Featuring Giant Bomb Dot Com

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Game design talk is basically the most fascinating thing

There's a long article somewhere about just how much the placement of the first Barnacle in each Half-Life game means, design-wise

What it does to a player, what it teaches them about how to play the game, and so on

the half life game commentary that has stuck with me the most is when they talk about the poison head crabs

Oh, yeah, where they throw out the statistic that the majority of players immediately zone in on the poison headcrabs because of the noise, regardless of the other threats?

Because yeah, I love stuff like that. Valve knows how to make a hell of a game, and listening to them peel that curtain back a bit is fascinating.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I wish I could somehow get developer commentary for a boardgame as I play it.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I wish I could somehow get developer commentary for a boardgame as I play it.

That could be a cool Kickstarter stretch goal or something

A video of the dev team playing a round and talking about their reasoning behind design decisions

InquisitoragoajTallahasseerielErin The RedStiltsvegeta_666Medium DaveBedlam
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

There's a long article somewhere about just how much the placement of the first Barnacle in each Half-Life game means, design-wise

What it does to a player, what it teaches them about how to play the game, and so on

the half life game commentary that has stuck with me the most is when they talk about the poison head crabs

Oh, yeah, where they throw out the statistic that the majority of players immediately zone in on the poison headcrabs because of the noise, regardless of the other threats?

Because yeah, I love stuff like that. Valve knows how to make a hell of a game, and listening to them peel that curtain back a bit is fascinating.

This is why I would kinda like them to ever make a single-player game ever again

They're not gonna

I want them to

They won't

6F32U1X.png
    EtchwartsBluedude152
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

it's so good!

that bit when they talk about how proud they are that everyone who plays the game is terrified of the poison crabs even though they can't actually kill you on their own

Stilts
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    guys sometimes I forget the dopamine hit I get when I hear the first few notes of Mr. Brightside, but I just happened to turn it on and I was like oh yeah I fucking love the Killers, I forgot.

Erin The RedAnzekayOne Thousand Cablesvegeta_666YaYa
    now I want to play hl2 again

InquisitorEtchwarts

yeah players will fixate on black headcrabs until they know they're dead, it doesn't matter what else is around.

when I heard that I was like

oh my god I did that I still do that you totally got into my head

EtchwartsJayKaosBlankZoeKilroyKwoarumasterofmetroidStiltsturtleant
    I really wish I could play the Half-Life games

It's not the fault of the games, the enemies just freak me out too much

If the game wasn't first-person, I'd probably be fine

But it's having stuff like headcrabs RIGHT UP IN YOUR FACE that I just can't deal with

6F32U1X.png
    The first person perspective kind of makes Half-Life for me

Both in the combat and because I've always loved that feeling in Half-Life games of continuity

Like, in a lot of games, say, Halo, there are cutscenes inbetween and you see Chief getting transported from one level to another and it all feels very gamey

With Half-Life and Half-Life 2 you have to take every step/drive every mile between the beginning and the end of the game, and it makes it feel like a big adventure

vegeta_666TubularLuggageturtleant
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Just got a mission in xcom where I had to rescue some guy from a French convoy. Get to him and like eight snake men drop across the map.

Chincy. You are earning your keep.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

ChincymcchillaCaptain K
    The first person perspective kind of makes Half-Life for me

Both in the combat and because I've always loved that feeling in Half-Life games of continuity

Like, in a lot of games, say, Halo, there are cutscenes inbetween and you see Chief getting transported from one level to another and it all feels very gamey

With Half-Life and Half-Life 2 you have to take every step/drive every mile between the beginning and the end of the game, and it makes it feel like a big adventure

That's the other part

I know if they weren't first-person they would probably be bad games

There's no winning for me

6F32U1X.png
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I would love to have a commentary track for Dota 2, but that would mean Icefrog would talk and Icefrog is nothing if not an Enigma Wrapped in a Mystery

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Head's up on why everyone has a copy of Ricochet.

Back in the pre-steam days, Half-Life shared it's cd-key setup with all of it's spinoffs (aside from Opposing Force and Condition Zero). So Counter-Strike: Retail, Blue Shift, even Gunman Chronicles, all had the same cd-key type. When Steam came out, rather than try to figure out which series of cd-key went to which game, Valve just made it so if you put in ANY of those cd-keys, you get all the HL1 era games together (aside from Condition Zero). So 1 HL1 key got you Half-Life, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Team Fortress Classic, Deathmatch Classic, Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike and, everyone's favorite game, Ricochet.

So that's why everyone and their moms own Ricochet.

There are also a lot of people who buy the Valve Complete Pack every time it goes on sale during a Steam Sale.

gtrmp on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Also, I would suspect part of the reason so many people own HL2 that have "never played" it is that Steam only started tracking play time after a certain point in its lifespan.

InquisitorUndead ScottsmanJayKaosKilroyVeldrinWeedLordVegetaPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Also, I would suspect part of the reason so many people own HL2 that have "never played" it is that Steam only started tracking play time after a certain point in its lifespan.

Yeah, my steam thinks I haven't played a lot of games that I actually have.

vegeta_666
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I really wish I could play the Half-Life games

It's not the fault of the games, the enemies just freak me out too much

If the game wasn't first-person, I'd probably be fine

But it's having stuff like headcrabs RIGHT UP IN YOUR FACE that I just can't deal with

When I first got half life 2 back when the orange box came out, I had to have a friend in the dorms play ravenholme for me

I watched sometimes

I finally played it myself like two years later and it was still scary on a very bright and cheery saturday afternoon

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Just popping in to say Trials Fusion is amazing, as all Trials games are

Kilroy
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    What's Half Life: Lost Coast?

It is a tech demo

for hdr specifically

It's got some neat developer commentary if you like hearing about really technical shit.

I love valve's dev commentary so much

which is kind of weird, because I hate movie commentaries

oh man i love movie commentaries. It's why I still buy DVDs. I freaking love the Goonies one, especially since it's like 15 years later and they're all grown up. It's fantastic

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    If you pay extra for Gunpoint you get a special version with Dev Commentary on every level

and YOU BETTER BELIEVE I got that version and always buy that version as gifts for people

God damnit.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

The Half-Life games are basically the greatest example of incredibly detailed design work in the industry, to me.

EtchwartsStiltsMuddy Waterturtleant
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    What's Half Life: Lost Coast?

It is a tech demo

for hdr specifically

It's got some neat developer commentary if you like hearing about really technical shit.

I love valve's dev commentary so much

which is kind of weird, because I hate movie commentaries

oh man i love movie commentaries. It's why I still buy DVDs. I freaking love the Goonies one, especially since it's like 15 years later and they're all grown up. It's fantastic

I think my problem with movie commentaries is that once someone shows me the wires, I will never be able to ignore them and I lose the ability to immerse myself in the movie

although I do make an exception for comedies because suspension of disbelief is less important to me for comedies

• tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    thread, slow down

APB is still a thing?

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
    the introduction and execution of ravenholme is super, super good.

InquisitorErin The RedSCREECH OF THE FARGStiltsEtchwartsBluedude152SnicketysnickKilroyTubularLuggageturtleantmasterofmetroid
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I've only played through Half-Life 2 twice, and both times just shy of a decade ago, but I remember that game more vividly than most I've played

It created capital-m Moments, and actually let you be in them instead of just watching. That sticks with you.

Erin The RedTubularLuggage
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I know I'm late on this, but Tomodachi Life...

captaink
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That is

incredibly odd

he has had a stellar track record

CYpGAPn.png
    InquisitorAnzekayEtchwartsvegeta_666TubularLuggagea5ehrenturtleantmasterofmetroiddarunia106
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I haven't played the Halo series in forever, but I had many a good time playing it through four player co-op with some old friends and I'd love to revisit the series some time. The theme (and a lot of the music) for the game was great and reminds me of that time. I wonder if he finished Destiny's soundtrack.

http://youtu.be/Vfs2V-4K9is

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie, I am extremely perplexed by that decision.

Do they just not realise that good music is, uh, rather a huge boost for a game?

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    that's baffling

the original music's been the most consistently wonderful thing in the series

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    wow wait what the fuck?!

Peas
    vegeta_666 wrote: »

Wasn't Marty O'Donnell, like, one of the founding members of Bungie?

I'm not going to lie, this makes me significantly less excited for Destiny

vegeta_666
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    was he not down with the dubstep

august
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    This is looking to be a year of bizarre executive decisions in the gaming industry so far.

Veldrin wrote: »
    This is looking to be a year of bizarre executive decisions in the gaming industry so far.

I assume this is referring to the Amy Henning debacle

So now you've got my hopes up for a Marty O'Donnell Star Wars score

Thanks a lot

Veldrin
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

I assume this is referring to the Amy Henning debacle

So now you've got my hopes up for a Marty O'Donnell Star Wars score

Thanks a lot

Oh man

Yes please

vegeta_666Etchwarts
  • PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    I would love to have a commentary track for Dota 2, but that would mean Icefrog would talk and Icefrog is nothing if not an Enigma Wrapped in a Mystery

They could still talk about character design and technical things. I think I would enjoy that.

Any sort of commentary on the game design would be weird with how much the game changes over time. Of course a lot of things tend to stay the same, but it feels like anything could change.

Huntera
This discussion has been closed.