As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2015 Save the Date

• Options
    WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    I've been every year and last year was my least favorite, personally, because of the ridiculous amount of people. I'm interested in AAA games, which I know are popular and I expect lines, but I didn't get to play any of them. If they're going to increase the price, it would be nice if they limited the amount of attendees so we can actually play games without waiting in 6 hour lines to be worth the money.

But that's another whole discussion, don't want to derail thread.

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • Options
    cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    Raising the price up to scalp prices, I believe, would still allow tickets to sell out. The difference would be the crowd. You would see more families or white collar workers rather than college students or young adult crowds.

$$$$ prices would deter families, and what's wrong with white collar workers?

I'm pretty much saying no college students. And I disagree, families are the ones most likely to take a vacation. With the overall vacation price they would usually pay what's 500 vs 1200.

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Let me just say, I love the mix of the crowd now, I'm 37 and I bring my SO, my high school age nephew and his friend each year. I think it's a great opportunity to see the diversity, even if it's just economical, between all gamers. With that said, I really need that coffee.

• Options
    pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Wolfiee wrote: »
    Holy crap... does anyone know if there's going to be LESS people to justify the price increase?

The price increase on single days in pretty consistent, and, I don't think, large enough to effect ticket sales.

The 3 day increase is actually part increase, part correction. Last year, single days were $40 and 3 days were $75. I'm pretty sure they commented that was an error, and the 3 days should have been $85..but by the time they caught it, they couldn't fix it. They really didn't want 3 day passes to be cheaper than 2 single days (which, by the by, probably increased demand for 3 days a bit more, too).

So, this years increase is 1/2 correction, 1/2 actual increase (to parallel the single day increase).

pilferk on
  • Options
    So purchasing 3 days this year will still be cheaper than purchasing 3 single passes right?

Also, isn't Prime $100 for 4 days? :/

Also, I remember when 3 days were $40 the first year ;___; They grow up so fast.

0CsmwYt.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Considering the travel and lodging costs associated with most people coming, I doubt a 5-20 dollar increase is going to "price people out". The positives to the additional money is it can be used to improve facilities, get better equipment etc. for crazier pax's. Or go into Robert's Giant Money Pile, one of the two.

• Options
    I've been every year and last year was my least favorite, personally, because of the ridiculous amount of people. I'm interested in AAA games, which I know are popular and I expect lines, but I didn't get to play any of them. If they're going to increase the price, it would be nice if they limited the amount of attendees so we can actually play games without waiting in 6 hour lines to be worth the money.

But that's another whole discussion, don't want to derail thread.

They don't say, specifically...but I don't think they sold more tickets, last year, than in the past. Sell outs are sell outs, and East has "sold out" pretty consistently. I suspect that number is driven by fire code as much as anything else.

I DO think the AAA offerings were a little less prevalent. The fact you were largely missing Sony, MS, and Nintendo might have been part of that. Could also have been the new console launches, and the fact people just had fewer titles to show as they were all working on stuff for the new consoles that weren't going to be ready "soon". Could be a couple of other external factors, too.

Which, maybe, made the lines longer for the titles that were there. But...that being said..I remember 4 - 6 hour lines for SWTOR, and other AAA titles, in years past. They didn't seem inordinately longer this year, to me, than in years past....but I spent a LOT more time with the indie stuff this year than I have before. Not because of the lines..but because it was SOOOOOOOO good.

• Options
    So purchasing 3 days this year will still be cheaper than purchasing 3 single passes right?

Also, isn't Prime $100 for 4 days? :/

Also, I remember when 3 days were $40 the first year ;___; They grow up so fast.

Yup.

3 single days would be $135. A 3 day pass is $95. Still a big discount! You're basically paying $5 for Sunday....

I remember that first year too! Had a blast. But East is a victim of it's own success/goodness....because it's SO good (and one of the only east coast gaming-centric large conventions), you knew demand would increase. And, as demand increases...so do the prices. I'm OK with that. Still very manageable, and, IMHO, a good value. Hell, I spend more than that going to a theme park for a day! A LOT more to go to a Universal or Disney park! And I actually think this is more fun.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, Indie has been excellent the past two or so years, but AAA is still my favorite. I agree, the new console(s) launch was probably the cause for lack of titles last year. We all just left pretty unhappy - it was the first time one of friends attended PAX and even he thought it was terrible lol.

Lines have always been bad, but not as bad the first few years. Last year was out of hand.

Wolfiee on
    0CsmwYt.jpg
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    regarding the price increase:

Also, I would bet heavily against them selling fewer tickets.

• Options
    RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    I guarantee if you want to get easy tickets at scalper prices you will be able to do so almost immediately after tickets sell out.

PW0oFIs.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm pretty much saying no college students. And I disagree, families are the ones most likely to take a vacation. With the overall vacation price they would usually pay what's 500 vs 1200.

I wouldn't consider PAX a vacation, far from it...it's an experience. Most families, especially in today's economy, are stretched really thin...I don't think PAX would be at the top of the list for vacations and the cost - at scalpers rates - would not be justifiable.

I don't want ticket prices to keep going up, no one does. But I don't think it's realistic to say inflated prices will turn PAX in to disney world. I don't want that either, sorry kiddos.

Oh, and I vote the increase will go in to the "giant money pile", but really hope it leads to improved facilities and better equipment.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I wouldn't consider PAX a vacation, far from it...it's an experience. Most families, especially in today's economy, are stretched really thin...I don't think PAX would be at the top of the list for vacations and the cost - at scalpers rates - would not be justifiable.

I don't want ticket prices to keep going up, no one does. But I don't think it's realistic to say inflated prices will turn PAX in to disney world. I don't want that either, sorry kiddos.

Oh, and I vote the increase will go in to the "giant money pile", but really hope it leads to improved facilities and better equipment.

Well, families where I'm from vs families where your from I guess.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    regarding the price increase, i'm guessing some amount of it will also go toward the fact that they are running a whole new pax this year (south). it's obviously not going to get blowout attendance in its first year (it still hasn't sold out) but it's still going to cost a lot to put on. padding the sellout shows (prime/east) to make up any losses while the new cons grow just makes sense.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    First break. My lunch is at 2:30 est! That time does not bode well. :( I feel like today is the day.

• Options
    I really don't think they will go live until the end of the month. The vibe just isn't there for a release this week.

• Options
    craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    It's basic supply and demand. If you have a high demand, you can raise the price. You can continue to raise the price until you hit equillibrium (aka the point where your supply line and your demand line intersect.) I'm surprised it took them so long to raise the price. This means better things for PAX: a little less competition for badges, more money to be used to improve our PAX experience etc.

To be honest a $20 increase is not that much. Consider this:

A local Anime Con near me charges $75 for the weekend and doesn't have even close to a quarter of the programming PAX has, yet it is still littered with teenagers.

If PAX East costs $500 (hotel, badges, food, etc) for the weekend, you would only need to set aside $1.36 a day to pay for it, or approximately $41/month. When it was $75 for the weekend you would be setting aside $1.33 a day or $40.50/month. The overall change is fairly negligible if you think about it.

DXLJjjr.png
  • Options
    I really don't think they will go live until the end of the month. The vibe just isn't there for a release this week.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't this week or next...because then you're pushing into Thanksgiving week, etc...which I think is unlikely to happen.

I think it'll be this week..but we'll see.

• Options
    InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    I've already started saving for my trip. Coming from Canada, my return flight is the biggest pain. I could drive, but it's 10 hours and I really don't want to drive in Boston.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • Options
    I've already started saving for my trip. Coming from Canada, my return flight is the biggest pain. I could drive, but it's 10 hours and I really don't want to drive in Boston.

You only really have to drive INTO boston, and given the way the highway is set up around the BCEC, depending on where you're staying, you're on the city streets for about 5 minutes, max. Now, Bostons' streets are not intuitively laid out (like, whoever urban planned it must have spent time in the local brewerys), but they're not terrible, either.

Then you park your car and either walk, or take the T, everywhere.

BUT, on the flip side..then you're paying for parking for the whole trip.

• Options
    really don't want to drive in Boston.
    Can confirm.

Source: Lives in MA

0CsmwYt.jpg
  • Options
    Can confirm.

I only hate it, truly, during rush hour. I'm up a few times a year (have family and do business in the city), from CT.

But for PaxEast..I drive, park, and don't touch my car til we leave on Sunday. Boston might be the best, most beautiful, walking city in the country.

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    pax at 500 is fairly cheap idk maybe its just me but i really dont see how it can be done for much less then 600-700 if you want to do it right but even that is not bad at all if still only about 2.00 a day

• Options
    Can confirm.

Ditto. I'm getting dropped off on Thursday a picked up Sunday night. I love my home town but driving can be a headache at times and parking is SO expensive.

• Options
    Yeah, our salaries aren't high enough here to justify the parking costs.

0CsmwYt.jpg
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    pilferk wrote: »
    Boston might be the best, most beautiful, walking city in the country.

truth. i am in my 30s, lived in the boston area my whole life, and have NEVER had a drivers license. between the walkability and the mbta, driving is totally for suckers*.

*unless you have physical impairments or driving is just your preference, which is totally fine and completely valid <3

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    I would ditch my $187/mo car payment, $100/mo car insurance, and $200~/mo gas in a heartbeat, cars are definitely for suckers. However, I refuse to live anywhere near the city and rather pay that to be able to stick to my Sagamore Beach suburbs haha.

0CsmwYt.jpg
  • Options
    CyantCyant Registered User regular
    I really don't want to drive in Boston.

5wmj7k4joeor.jpg

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    regarding the price increase, i'm guessing some amount of it will also go toward the fact that they are running a whole new pax this year (south). it's obviously not going to get blowout attendance in its first year (it still hasn't sold out) but it's still going to cost a lot to put on. padding the sellout shows (prime/east) to make up any losses while the new cons grow just makes sense.

Noticed a tweet from Khoo overnight that seems to answer the price increase.

Edit: Whups, didn't notice @zerzhul beat me to it. The sleep deprivation is getting to me.

TopherRocks on
  • Options
    Yup, thus my drunken urban planning comment. ;)

• Options
    I was waiting for that to be posted. Laugh every time.

0CsmwYt.jpg
  • Options
    cky71321cky71321 Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Boston's streets were designed long before mass vehicle transportation became a thing. It also doesn't help that most of the city was built on landfill (don't think about that when you're landing at Logan), so it wound up being a total mess.

As for the price difference from last year - one thing to hear in mind is that Boston is a bit more expensive than San Antonio: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&amp;city1=Boston,+MA&amp;country2=United+States&amp;city2=San+Antonio,+TX

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's like I didn't even post that tweet on this same page...

• Options
    How many are just checking the site on the hour?

• Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    How many are just checking the site on the hour?
    I've been checking every ten minutes!

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It's like I didn't even post that tweet on this same page...

Heh, oops. The sleep deprivation is getting to me. It's a bad time of year to be a night owl.

• Options
    TheGoldenTriforceTheGoldenTriforce Registered User regular
    I am guessing it will be 12:00

starts reloading constatntly

• Options
    I'm hoping twelve...come on, 7 more minutes!

• Options
    TheGoldenTriforceTheGoldenTriforce Registered User regular
    Fingers crossed.

• Options
    JoveJove Registered User regular
    I CANT TAKE THIS PRESSURE!

This discussion has been closed.