As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In this thread, we get our [Groove] on.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    new grimes is so fuckingn good i can'thandle it

It's so much different from her other albums, and I love it.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Lord Huron hasn't been anywhere near me. I'd drop money to make it to that show.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So I watched Selma and Cool Hand Luke on the plane back from AusPAX, and for the last couple of days I've been on a bit of a kick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCDAfa-NI-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COiIC3A0ROM

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Cool Hand Luke is a hell of an airplane watch. Solid film.

• Options
    Man groove thread, all the way down on page 4!

I just got back from Ben Folds (featuring Y Music). I wasn't super sold on the album, but man does having those folks on stage with him make for an amazing show. Good mix of new and old, he did a song about Charleston (Charleston let's their children play in the flood waters / there's poo in there / some it is even from you / etc) and encore was Army and Mess. Mess was insane because he split us up by voice to do the 3-part harmony during the song and at the very end started conducting us and it was 100s of people working in... something resembling unity.

All said, highly recommend going if you get the chance.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    trust fund's new album seems unfair is really good and pitchfork are out of touch because it's way better than a 6.8

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO_3Qgib6RQ

New Missy to start my day? Yes. Yes, this works.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Rabbit Junk released a new EP recently and I really like it

returns to a heavier sound, very welcome from them. I like their lighter stuff too, but some proper heavy industrial electronica is just what I wanted!

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I have only really listened to Grimes through the songs that play at the club -- nice enough, but just didn't hook me in obsessively. but I am abusing youtube replay with Art Angels. Venus Fly and World Princess part II goooooo

for music you might not already be all over, the new Red Velvet and f(x) albums are pretty good rounds of pop. my highlights skew towards the high-energy tracks:
    give the first song 45 seconds -- if you still don't like it, feel free to skip ahead, but I promise the playground singsong quality goes interesting places. Alternatively, watch them attack the choreo.
    (fancam, so the sound is atrocious and LOUD)
    https://youtu.be/o5keA6-vRtI

this group has a sound very much in the zeitgeist, but these songs include a good mix of funk, r&b, whatever that quality is that makes kpop it's own thing... I like every song except for Day 1, and it's still not annoying or a bad cut. I just have to be in the mood for anime-intro kind of music for it to work.
    #01 00:00 Dumb Dumb
    #02 03:21 Huff n Puff
    #05 12:43 Oh Boy
    #08 22:46 Don't U Wait No More
    #10 29:04 Cool World

https://youtu.be/0kKCioq-9aA

while still fresh, this one is a bit of a throwback in the eras it pulls from, and leans more heavily into dance tracks (which tend to be my jam.) it's an interesting follow-up to Red Light, also a great pop album.
    #01 00:00 4 Walls
    #03 06:29 Deja Vu
    #04 10:12 X
    #06 17:58 Diamond
    #10 32:10 When I'm Alone

https://youtu.be/Z9et0gClkXY

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I just made a 150 song playlist themed around songs about space, or songs that sound spacey, or songs that you might play...in a rocketship. Woof

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Y'all need to know that Fucked Up puts on an insane and impeccable live performance. They took the cake at FFF Fest, despite awesome sets by lots of other dudes. Wu-Tang was out of control fun, and unbelievably fucking talented and exactly what I'd hoped for, first off. Chromeo and CHVRCHES were a blast, and so was Neon Indian and Future Islands.

Future Islands is like watching a cross between Tom Waits and Broken Bells speak in tongues while having a seizure on stage.

Bomba Estéreo was great, and Golden Dawn Arkestra was good but kind of... hm. I had some appropriation-related questions. Alvvays, who I was super excited for, just wasn't enough of a good live show to be worth watching just for the sake of Marry Me, Archie, which I do love.

Benjamin Booker on the other hand was a goddamn dope show, as was Doomtree.

It's possible that overall I had the most fun at Big Freedia.

I did also see:
    The King Khan & BBQ Show
    Fuzz
    Lido
    Joanna Gruesome
    Tig Notaro

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i guess now i use spotify because rdio is dead

poo
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    That Bowie song fucking rules

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    I have seen Joanna Gruesome, Yo La Tengo, and Modern Baseball in the past week. They all ruled!

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    New Adele album is just fantastic.

Had this shit for about a week and can't seem to put it down.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hey groove thread. You guys got any happy jams for getting over lost friendships and trying to get back into things?

So far I'm drawing a blank. All my music is angry or depressing.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hey groove thread. You guys got any happy jams for getting over lost friendships and trying to get back into things?

is upbeat breakup pop okay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgrP6fzGKjg

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    failing that, the stubbornly happy anthem of my high school years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wcjBU8zbdY

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

Anamanaguchi might be your huckleberry. I personally fall into ELO's Time album (my favorite) and XTC - Drums and Wires particularly when in a mood. Upbeat could lead you towards stuff like Beastie Boys, Seu Jorge (Life Aquatic soundtrack basically), Sleigh Bells or Presidents of the United States off the top of my head for what would work for me. Actually, now that I'm really thinking about it, merengue is a big pick-me-up for me as well due to nostalgia reasons, but might be a worthwhile rabbit hole. I can't speak to this youtube playlist in general, but the first song put a smile on my face even though it's a lot more modern than I usually go for.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Got a thing on the 28th, and as usual, my go to method for choosing a theme is putting in the date into google and seeing what comes up, so it's Albanian themed which means Albanian music!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a1cRjOCb3g
    I have literally just grabbed everything that came up when I googled "albanian music" because I have no clue. From what I can tell Albanian music is trashy but enjoyable to listen to.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Whoa

I just found out Baroness is putting out a new album in December.

I don't know how I missed this until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS5osAdTnm0

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    turkeyween is no more, time to figure out which albums this year were The Best
    https://open.spotify.com/user/1242486688/playlist/0L4kgzjTdJ9dvxSHMEPb6D

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really dislike Deftones as the brought on a type of metal that really is just boring

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Don't know if we got any Hold Steady fans in the house, but this Craig Finn/Esme Patterson cover of Low's "Just Like Christmas" is pretty darn lovely
    http://www.avclub.com/video/craig-finn-and-esme-patterson-cover-low-229060

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the hold steady is decent but that is one of my favorite christmas songs so heckyeah i'm checkin that out

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Scott Weiland has passed away at age 48. Report on NPR says he died in his sleep on a tour stop in Bloomington, Minnesota.

I grew up listening to STP with my dad, this kind of sucks. Dude had a lot of trouble with addiction though, that had taken a toll on him.

• Options
    Spotify has rolled out its Year in Review stuff: yearinmusic.spotify.com

My obsession with Hamilton really fucked up my top 5, as the way artists are credited on that album means three of my top five artists are from it. Whoops!

Better representation is likely my top 5 albums:
    1. Hamilton Original Broadway Cast Recording
    2. All Hands, Doomtree
    3. Skelethon, Aesop Rock
    4. Rose Mountain, Screaming Females
    5. Metamodern Sounds in Country Music, Sturgill Simpson

I can dig it.

• Options
    Mine would be 100% bowie

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    1. Hamilton Cast Recording
    2. The Protomen
    3. The Killers
    4. Run the Jewels
    5. Beastie Boys

Yeah that sounds about right

Albums were
    1. Hamilton
    2. Run the Jewels 2
    3. Beastie Boys Solid Gold Hits
    4. The Wack Album (Lonely Island)
    5. Emotion (Carly Rae Jepsen)

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I was genuinely surprised RtJ2 didn't place on my top 5; I listened to that one a bunch.

• Options
    1. Titus Andronicus - The Most Lamentable Tragedy
    2. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
    3. The Smiths - Complete
    4. New Order - Music Complete
    5. Spoon - They Want My Soul

TMLT vs TPAB might just be the toughest decision i've ever faced when it comes time to write up my personal top 10 this year

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I liked that spoon album when it came out but now its like a weekly spin for me. Holy shit is that album good. Inside Out...

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    1. Slow Club
    2. Metric
    3. Kanye West
    4. The Mountain Goats
    5. Gorillaz

yeah, sure

Hamilton clocked in at 4 on albums, probably would have been higher if I hadn't mostly listened to it on Prime because I couldn't handle the ads on Spotify anymore

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    1748 different artists, though! damn.