As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Hmmm.

They added a new event called Regicide. It's exactly as it sounds. I'll link to the thread discussing it on the EU IV boards.

Let's just say this event is the trollest of trolls, especially in MP.

Regicide event

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    One of the new decisions is to restore the Roman Empire, as (almost) any country which controls its former borders

I bet they decided on that after Wiz departed the team

Players of Paradox games have a weird obsession with restoring Rome

They love to rebuild a Rome in a way that was never possible but cry at Aztecs invading Europe.

Paradox fans are....well a paradox.

That's because the restoration of the Roman Empire was an actual historical goal of -several- countries/people during the history of Europe.

The Holy Roman Empire itself is a direct result of that desire.

So having a long term goal of the restoration of the Roman Empire might be somewhat ahistorical considering the time period it is not ahistorical as a general goal for a nation in Europe.

Mussolini is probably the most current leader I can think of who wanted to "Restore the Roman Empire in a manner of speaking" in their day.

In my mind that dream died with Justinian, 600 years before this time frame. It still always gets me that ahistorical situation A is okay but B is not.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Venetians just killed off my king as Hungary

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    What bugs me most about corruption is that I have a hunch it probably isn't a big problem once you have the income to just pay it off

I played as Alodia yesterday and it was a neverending nightmare of constantly fighting grossly oversized rebel stacks while Corruption from religious disunity slowly wrecked my country

Florryworry (who is one of the three best EU4 players out there in my opinion) was streaming Mare Nostrum and he constantly hit "Harsh Treatment" because there was just nothing else he could do

It seems frustrating and too hard and I say that as a guy who started thirty or forty times as Ryukyu

Platy on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Also yeah, there is a certain segment of the population on the paradox forums who are all "quit crying cause the game is harder" to the -vast- majority who dislike basically everything about this patch and I read a post that made a very good point.

The people who dislike the patch aren't complaining because the game is suddenly too hard for them, they're complaining because the added features make the game less fun for them.

Which is certainly true in my case.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I wouldn't mind if the AI opponents became better at blocking your expansion, but Corruption is just a completely arbitrary mechanic which punishes you for taking land which is not of your religion or spending diplo points on something like annexation

I also watched a bit of Arumba and as a European nation, he unsurprisingly has almost no problem with it

It's a bit sad how diversity is almost never a strength of empires in Paradox games and how they keep reinforcing this

Platy on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I will come right out and mention that I -do- like how they set up states. It's basically the only thing I like about this patch. AI borders have never looked so good.

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I just threw off the sejm (is there a good reason to do so? Kind of dreading the regencies that can come about)

It removes the various modifiers you can incur while you are an Elective Monarchy, for example the Nieszawa Privileges (which increase technology cost)

Otherwise you can never get rid of them, but if you know what you're doing, you can also stay an Elective Monarchy, it isn't a bad government form

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Regicide event is/will be gone with the hotfix.

No Corruption changes yet. Johan has posted that some aspects of the system are undesirable (suggesting future changes, probably like what we saw with estates), but that it was supposed to nerf RotW relative to Europe (specifically to keep RotW from keeping up in MIL tech while tanking everything else). The reason given was to have semi-historical outcomes at the end of the game where Europe comes out ahead.

There were no responses given regarding how this affects multiplayer or what you're supposed to do as certain starts like Qara Qoyunlu who have to go into massive debt right out the gate in 1444 just to pay off corruption due to the religions of their provinces.

So yeah... I'm still rocking 1.14 and will continue to for the foreseeable future. This really makes me sad as I wanted naval fixes more than any other individual change, and while the new patch doesn't go nearly far enough, it's still much better than what we have now. In truth this just means I continue to be on hiatus from this game.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    A player can completely stomp AI RotW after 1600, I landed an army as Lucca in India around 1580 and then proceeded to conquer all of it for the two associated achievements - I think I ended up with over 1500 total development despite only owning a few provinces in Northern Italy back in Europe

RotW AI will also prioritize mil tech, it's not like this is a phenomenon restricted to players - historically European armies didn't start to achieve clear military superiorty over Asian armies until the very end of the game's timeframe (Vicky 2 China also starts out with more production than any European nation)

Regarding multiplayer, when you see someone start outside of Europe, they're mostly expert players like DDRJake

Platy on
  • Options
    A player can stomp any AI. It's the AI vs AI model they were trying to address.

RotW had disadvantages, but before players could at least have military parity, contributing usefully to alliance wars. This is no longer the case; your only feasible option is to rush a shared border with a game-long ally and Westernize immediately. That's not going to happen readily if you're wanting to play Ming/Qing or Japan.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    RotW nerfs are lame. Shouldn't the tech disadvantages be enough?

• Options
    edited April 2016
    The Sauce wrote: »
    A player can stomp any AI. It's the AI vs AI model they were trying to address.

I don't really buy that corruption was mostly designed with the AI in mind - the AI will try to take land of the same culture group and religion and generally won't tank its RU like a player might

If you wanted to reduce AI income, you could as well have them pay for forts again, there are situations where the AI has over ten forts in their country and pays upkeep for none of them

If there's not enough expansion into Asia by European powers, you could look at how often AI nations still pick Expansion ideas, sometimes their idea choices are really idiotic (Muscovy picking Naval + Maritime for their 18 or 20 ships)

[edit]
    If one follows the historical argument, there is not enough RotW blobbing in the game, for example no RotW nation ever takes over 95% of India like the Mughals did and when Qing forms, it mostly sits around North China - the Ottoman Empire generally also never grows to encompass its historical borders

mughals.jpg~original

This shit just never happens ingame

Platy on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I have regularly seen India mostly united, though it's never by the Mughals (recent updates include steps taken to try to make them appear more often, but I don't know if that'll lead to the domination they should be able to impose). Qing definitely never pulls off its historical conquests, but Ming often gets that big if it stays together. Ottomans aren't really RotW, being one of the most powerful starts in the game, but I do see them come pretty close to historical (sometimes matching it but in different ways). But anyway, the issue is Europe vs RotW, not RotW vs RotW.

All that said I think Corruption is pretty bad anyway, and for a whole list of reasons. I don't think Johan's explanation for its intent matches the implementation. Also, apparently it was originally suggested in the beta forums by a veteran player? Which is really weird to hear - the most controversial feature in quite some time was developed in tandem with elements of the community (albeit a rather privileged subset of it, and the general community is in riot over it). And apparently they nerfed it severely multiple times in beta before it arrived in this state, so... yikes.

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all support and dedication to the game, and its great to see 1.16 & Mare Nostrum breaking popularity records. There were a few issues that cropped up, that we are fixing or changing for a 1.16.2 patch, which will be released as soon as its ready. I hope tomorrow,...

This is the current changelog, and we're working on a CTD, and a Multiplayer OOS.

Corruption
    - Updated corruption tooltip to show what actually effects it.
    - Easy Difficulty now reduces your corruption dramatically.
    - Root Out Corruption is now based on your development, not your income.
    - Halved frequency of good and bad corruption events.

Achievements
    - Updated Luck of the Irish achievement to account for 4 new Irish tags
    - New Achievements updated to block custom nations

Unconditionally Surrender
    - If war leader Unconditionally Surrenders, their allies no longer do so too.
    - If an Overlord Unconditionally Surrenders, their Subjects now do so too.

Merchant Republics
    - Merchant Republics are now limited by provinces in states, not total amount of provinces.
    - Merchant Republics no longer want to become a Free City.

States & Territories
    - Fixed: States couldn't be formed if there was a colony in the area.
    - Empty State/Territories will not linger after loading savegames.

AI Tweaks
    - Fixed some unlikely reasons for AI getting stuck and never cancelling condotieri.
    - AI will go a bit easier on guarantees of countries that it wants to conquer or ally.
    - Tweak to gifts/subsidies to reduce long range spam.
    - AI should no more be willing to hire condottieri to fight some future rebellion (only serious present rebellions now count).

Misc Bugfixes
    - Fixed wrong unit colors for a number of countries (e.g. Aragon).
    - Fixed only Muscovite countries being able to form Russia.
    - Fixed Hokkaido Strait
    - Fixed saves sometimes not loading correctly after using Hunt Naval Mission.
    - You can no longer detach mercenaries from a hired out Condottieri unit.

Misc Complaints Adressed
    - When mothballing a fleet, sailors no longer needed are now returned to the country's sailor pool (up to max sailors).
    - Removed Regicide Event
    - Removed historical neutrality between Portugal and Aragon
    - Fixed Threaten War could be used during Regency.
    - Central African Event 15 will no longer spam the player by triggering every other month or so.

oh thank motherfucking God.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    The Sauce wrote: »
    But anyway, the issue is Europe vs RotW, not RotW vs RotW.

It is still implemented in a way where it mainly discourages blobbing in RotW (even spending points on something like coring aside from corruption increasing coring costs too) - my point was that Asia did indeed see wide-sweeping conquests in the game's timeframe and these now seem even less likely (even Jaunpur with its Heathen Tolerance traditions starts with +0.25 ticking Corruption which means an increase in their MP power costs by 1% every four years)

The AI will go into massive debt because of Corruption, I've already seen one ally disband almost their entire army (since the AI will now also make more of an effort to pay off loans)

Root Out Corruption no longer being based on income is a good change, because otherwise you absolutely don't want to take war reps (you want your income to be as low as possible so you can pay off the corruption from lump sums of money you get in peace deals)

Platy on
  • Options
    Corruption is now more managable, I generally seem to pay one fourth of what it was before

Since it is tied to development, you're encouraged to have a high trade income and steal other countries' trade power through trade conflicts which is the one thing I like

The AI still struggles with Corruption and State Maintenance, I got attacked as Manipur and none of my allies came to my aid, presumably because of their debt (I think otherwise they would have gone bankrupt)

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    I guess I'm gonna ask here, since the hyperbolic conversation regarding this particular xpac doesn't seem to have infected these forums as much as some of the others I visit (including the super toxic paradox forums haha) - but, at this point, with this hotfix, would you say this xpac/dlc is worth owning? Does it make the game more fun/interesting/tedious? Is it actually worth spending money on?

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    I bought it because I bought every xpac so far to support development and because I've played little else in the last months

The stuff which makes the game more tedious comes "for free" with the current patch, you definitely need a lot of knowledge to make many or most RotW starts work

The old iteration of Corruption was crippling and you would just slowly die from it unless you rushed Westernization

Regarding the paid features, I've been pleasantly surprised by Trade Leagues, but haven't yet tried out most of the espionage features since they're still locked behind ideas

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I had the weirdest game as Mzab, I invaded Mexico and Peru in order to be able to pay off my corruption with their gold

Much to my surprise I found that I couldn't receive treasure fleets because my trade capital wasn't situated downstream

I only now realize I would've - maybe? - been able to do so if I moved it to Ivory Coast (my plan was to expand into Seville eventually, but the situation there is a hot mess - I also have the West Indies and Colombia as colonial nations because France ate Castile)

My corruption ticked up to 20% despite taking Religious Ideas - the way trade flows in North Africa is pretty stupid

At first I considered not westernizing, but with corruption, you absolutely have to, as early as possible

[edit]
    If I were to play Ruykyu this patch, I would just migrate to Europe ASAP and ignore East Asia until 1750

Platy on
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    If I were to play Ruykyu this patch, I would just migrate to Europe ASAP and ignore East Asia until 1750

I can't decide what is weirder, that such a thing is possible or that it is optimal...

• Options
    edited April 2016
    If you attack and vassalize Sarig Yogir, you can ally Chagatai or Oirat and make them share their maps

Then carve out a little base in the Caucasus, go Catholic or Protestant if you want to become Emperor (or go Sunni if you prefer the security of an Ottoman alliance and would like them to protect you during your westernization)

Take over India and East Asia after 1700 by spamming protectorates everywhere

The problem with my last Ryukyu run which I also ended around 1700 was that I tried to take, core and feed too much stuff in Asia, Enforce Protectorate is always 100% warscore regardless of size

Platy on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Is there a way to force a war of independence as an overlord? In my Serbia game I have Hungary as a vassal agitating for independence; it's loyalty was floating just over 50 (I forced orthodoxy on it) when the Ottomans (not a big issue, I control all the Balkans) supported its independence. However, instead of declaring Hungary has just sat there at 100% for 50+ years. Is there anyway just to force the independence war and get it over and done with?

I've had a similar problem in other games as well, though I don't remember the specifics.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    The AI doesn't think it can win. You can try disbanding your standing army.

The same issue arises with the league war not firing because the protestants never think they can win the war.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Best way to deal with it is to get your prestige up and use Placate on them five times

If you win a war, select all the options which make you gain prestige, such as giving up claims, you can for example fight a trade conflict against some OPM

If you're strong enough to take on the Ottomans, declare war on them to make them end their support for independence

Platy on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Thanks guys. As it happened, they declared almost straight after I posted this. My ally Austria had just ended a war and I think the Ottomans had just teched up. We won, and naughty Hungary was integrated.

I've enjoyed my Serbia run (getting the Lazarus acheivement), but I don't really see anything that interesting left to do (I'm surrounded on all sides by uberblobs) which is a bit of a shame.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Aw, if you conquer Mexico or Peru in the usual way, your new colonial nations will basically be dead from the start due to mounting corruption

My colonial nation Mexico hasn't teched up in over a hundred years and has completely stopped coring stuff, they also sit at -3 stability with no army

I assume when RotW nations die from corruption, they will get purged from the map by their neighbors, but with your colonial nations and vassals, this never happens

[edit]

My Mexico has 100% autonomy in all of its provinces except the capital

lol Paradox

[edit 2]

I wish they would have done away with transports like they initially planned

Being able to load soldiers on any kind of heavy, light ship or galley would be a massive improvement and would make fleets more versatile

[edit 3]

If you go shopping for allies, you really need to check your prospective allies' corruption and economic data if they're RotW, otherwise you'll end up with someone who'll never join wars because of their debt and might eventually bankrupt themselves

Platy on
  • Options
    Thanks guys. As it happened, they declared almost straight after I posted this. My ally Austria had just ended a war and I think the Ottomans had just teched up. We won, and naughty Hungary was integrated.

I've enjoyed my Serbia run (getting the Lazarus acheivement), but I don't really see anything that interesting left to do (I'm surrounded on all sides by uberblobs) which is a bit of a shame.
    Don't let uberblobs stop you. Just make sure one of them is allied to you, then go to war with one of your enemy blobs when your force is strong and their force is weak / busy elsewhere. Even if you can't decisively crush them with your first war, each subsequent war should get easier to win.

Learning to dismantle superblobs is a pretty important skill for EU games.

(also if you have just one port you can ship yourself off to North Africa or something and continue your conquests at a lighter pace)

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I restarted Mzab and uh, I found that accepting heretic rebels' demands for Heretic Tolerance gives you +4 tolerance towards them at the cost of -10% missionary strength

This is a ton of Religious Unity early game and it also removes any negative tax and manpower modifiers - doing this cut my monthly corruption gain in half which is just massive

You can convert all that Heretic land later as you fill up Religious Ideas

[edit]

Oh Castile, I really want you as a vassal

I think I never wanted anything more in this game

castile.jpg~original

Platy on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Don't panic!
    Johan wrote:
    Its currently at tech 0, and won't change from there unless the community wants it later.

The game would have better pacing if it was on later techs, but it would hurt primitives too much..
    And the community overwhelmingly said "tech 0." So this is a mod-only thing basically.

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I think the development team must play a far different game of EU4 than I do.

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    I think the development team must play a far different game of EU4 than I do.

Haha yes. But. This could really open up options for those mods that want to force a 4X model onto EU or move it into a different time period. It'll probably be mostly used by the historical straightjacket mods to limit agency though...

• Options
    I can't get a Mzab campaign going to the point where I would feel comfortable trying for the Third Way achievement

I wonder if I just suck or how DDRJake would've played this if he didn't get insanely lucky in his Mzab campaign

• Options
    Here is a thread with people pulling it off as Pate, which I guess is even harder?

Some tips on Mzab over here on Reddit, but it's 7 months old, so quite a few version changes in between.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Pate is easier, the East African nations aren't that difficult to beat up and you have easy access to gold mines and the Zanzibar node - I think DDRJake said it is not much harder than Oman

The Maghreb sucks because the entire region has barely over 300 development and the trade setup really hurts in this version since you need trade income to pay off corruption (the two Maghrebi nodes aren't even connected)

My main issue so far has been the Ottoblob getting into my way - what happens without player involvement is that the nation which gets the Otto alliance will eat the others

DDRJake got the Otto alliance in his campaign because the Mamluks forced vassalage on him and he was able to ask the Ottomans to support his independence

Rivaling the Mamluks might work, but they don't stay a rival of Ottomans for very long in this version and Tunis or Tlemcen might get the alliance before you and rival you

[edit]
    I was able to consolidate the Maghreb and move into Sub-Saharan Africa in my first game, but not at a pace where I felt comfortable continuing the campaign, with all Sub-Saharan nations gone I was still sitting only at 600 development compared to the Ottomans' 1800

Europeans will also now push really aggressively into West Africa and make it into states

Platy on
  • Options
    It is really hard for me to get into a game right now.

I feel like I'm fighting against numbers more than any specific threat.

• Options
    Yeah, I like adversity, but it's not as exciting when it's just a number against which you are struggling

I originally found it hard to get into EU4 because you have those faceless nations instead of the characters of CK2

It's a bit frustrating, also how horribly the new mechanics mess with the AI (you can sometimes take over country after country without any real battle because they completely disbanded their armies)

The AI is programmed in a way that it won't even use its MP to unlock ideas if it hasn't paid down its corruption to 0 - it's a vicious cycle where taking Religious Ideas would be the only way out

You have to be super-careful with your allies or vassals and corruption ticks so easily up to 10%, 20%...

• Options
    edited April 2016
    yeah

it's depressing because I've dumped hours into the game and there was a point where it was essentially perfectly balanced when it came to the numbers and how much they affected you

and then they kept adding more shit that needed to be dealt with using your admin points or whatever and it's become a game where you basically watch your points/gold/favors tick up and then act.

I used to be able to take advantage (or vice versa) when the AI screwed up and I could nab a few provinces from a big neighbor or something. Now it's "oh well that'd be nice to do but I can't do that without sending my nation into a spiral of corruption"

I really dislike how trade leagues are essentially free vassals for merchant republics too.

Trace on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Can one vassalize far off countries with a no casus belli war? I'm thinking for my next Imperialist Japan game how I could get to Europe to Westernize via Oceania, then India, Africa, and find a way to Italy, Northwest Africa or wait for European African holdings. Westernizing via Americas is no-go which sucks, and the Chinese modifier is large enough compared to Ottoman or Eastern tech group to really matter. Plus, if I become Kirishitan and decide to keep Catholicism, Il Papa would probably love me for holy warring in Asia and I could actually have a European seat where the Catholic advantages can matter and I could get a cardinal in there.