As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    There is also going to be an achievement for Dithmarschen and while they're going to be heavily constrained by AE, they start with +15% Morale of Armies and -10% Shock Damage Received

Slap a morale advisor on there and I would personally be confident to take on five other OPMs on my own - I think it would personally be a good exercise in learning how to fight wars in which you're ountumbered, but can defeat your opponents in detail

Wow, those are some insane traditions! I'm envisioning an early show strength for a military tech 4 rush and then gobbling up all sorts of OPMs.

And then dying in the punitive war that follows, obviously. A short but glorious reign for the peasant republic.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    odoyev.jpg~original

Odoyev is going to be tricky

[edit]
    If you want to be extra silly, get the two first ideas in Defensive as Dithmarschen, bam, +40% Morale with the advisor

[edit 2]
    Problem solved

odoyev2.jpg~original

Platy on
  • Options
    It's hilarious that I'm trying to expand away from Muscovy into Ottoman territory because Muscovy is just too OP

odoyev3.jpg~original

By the way, you can pick "Siberian Frontier" as a national idea for your custom nation, it allows you to quickly carpet the Americas with frontier colonies - the devs have already stated they're going to fix or nerf it, I recommend trying it out before they do so

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Anyone ever wondered what "Promoted Cultures" means outside of the abstract concept? I can think of not many examples where something like that has happened historically, where it's more "we merely tolerate you" rather than "join in on the accepted club, buddy". Mongolian favor of Turks and Manchus over Han Chinese? Maybe Belgium choosing Tutsis over Hutus? Why was Belgium ever allowed to fuck about in Africa? Colonialism is awful, but for some reason Belgian colonization gets singled out with Rwanda and the Congo as more awful.

Anyway, what are some other examples of this? If I as Japan promote Korean culture, what does that mean? We let Koreans into government? We allow them to intermarry? We really like their art, music, and customs? If that's true, how come noble families in events and choices for leadership positions all have Japanese names? How come we can't send Koreans or Chinese off in colonies to the New World or Australia? How come we can't do as the Englands do and send off "heretical" and outcast elements like English Catholics in Maryland, English puritans in Massachusetts? We can already do prison colonies through an event, but that would be an interesting way to deal with the reformation or a kind of jury rigged "conversion" of a province where the faithful are shipped off.

I'm not forming a list of complaints, just kind of doing a recreational navel gazing

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    If that's true, how come noble families in events and choices for leadership positions all have Japanese names?

Advisors are multicultural, their name and appearance is based on the province in which they are born

Rulers and generals use what I think is legacy code from EU3, which means those lists are exclusively tied to tag, if you create a Custom Nation a new list is generated and stored

Promoted Cultures: the Qing and Mughal empires come to mind, also the Commonwealth and Scotland inside Great Britain, most states in the Indo-Persian sphere

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Later in the time frame: Germans in the US.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Why was Belgium ever allowed to fuck about in Africa? Colonialism is awful, but for some reason Belgian colonization gets singled out with Rwanda and the Congo as more awful.

You need to read up on the Congo Free State, it wasn't a Belgian colony per se - the Congo was only annexed by Belgium in 1908, in response to the atrocities committed there

Many of the stakeholders in what became the Congo Free State were British or Dutch

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Wow, those are some insane traditions!

Seriously

dithmarschen.jpg~original

And people question on the official forums how useful the Spanish Tercio is, that one is -30% Shock Damage Received

Platy on
  • Options
    Wow, those are some insane traditions!

Seriously

dithmarschen.jpg~original

And people question on the official forums how useful the Spanish Tercio is, that one is -30% Shock Damage Received

Yeah, I've played around with Tercio. It's ridiculous.

• Options
    Oh jeez, someone discovered an infinite money exploit, right after the infinite monarch power exploit from 1.21 was fixed

I decided not to continue with my Ruykyu campaign in 1.21 because people were doing TTM on Very Hard with the exploit and that it made it feel a bit pointless

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    France feels tough. Way tougher than Castille. Why does Burgundy have alliances with the Netherlands and why don't they show up when you're on the declare war screen?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Those are countries are junior partners in a royal union with them, not independent countries they're allied with. I don't think any of them are powerful enough that you can support their independence, but if you tank burgundy's prestige they'll become independent when the duke dies. Assuming the event that splits them up doesn't fire first.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    How to France?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Take the stuff on the mainland from england, eat birttany, attack aragon before castille gets the PU, ally someone on the other side of austria and slowly eat the HRE for the rest of the game.

There are more efficient ways do it, but that's a reasonably easy france game that doesn't require you to be particularly skilled at the game.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Alternative France strategy: start as Burgundy, take France off the map, then become France. I probably wouldn't be able to pull that off myself, but I sure as hell saw it happen in my first ever game of EUIV.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If you want to take out Aragon, release Catalonia and feed them back their cores

But I would personally rather attack Castile, even if they get the Iberian Wedding chances are Aragon and Naples are going to be disloyal if you cut Castile down to size - they also changed the disinheritance logic in 1.22 so it's likely again that Castile will fall behind in military tech

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Alternative France strategy: start as Burgundy, take France off the map, then become France. I probably wouldn't be able to pull that off myself, but I sure as hell saw it happen in my first ever game of EUIV.

The real France was inside you all along!

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

The real France was inside you all along!

It was pretty amusing actually, because I was so relieved I didn't have to worry about France. I had heard quite a lot about how strong they could be. Then suddenly Burgundy becomes France and I had no idea they could even do that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    As France you are the foremost power in Europe from day 1, all you have to do is maintain. Yeah take England's mainland stuff ASAP, everything else is optional since just core French territory is likely to keep you in the top 3 or 4 most powerful states. As a relative newcomer I would leave the HRE alone as long as possible; Italy will leave the Empire pretty soon after game start and the Netherlands might leave eventually as well. If the Burgundian Inheritance fires within the first few decades you can get the French part of their lands for free; if they don't collapse quickly you can either hurry them along with a long war and constant fighting with whatever army their king is in or just pick them apart slowly throughout the game. Burgundy has trouble getting good allies so they really shouldn't be too much of a threat. Going after Aragon is a good idea because they have a significant chunk of the Genoa trade node and that node is bonkers; if you wait too long and they've fallen under Castille it's not the end of the world since 1) you're still probably stronger than all of them together and 2) Italy is a similarly good avenue for expansion.

Remember that you ARE the big dog and you win if you can just keep the MEDIUM dogs in their place. Castille/Spain, England, and Austria are the most likely to be your biggest rivals, so support whatever secondary powers can potentially keep them down. Because you are so powerful most nations that don't hate you would accept an alliance. You might be able to ally the Ottomans and you may as well do so since they're a VERY valuable ally but keep in mind that they can become ridiculously strong and could turn on you once your interests no longer mesh.

Oh also you don't really NEED to colonize but if you're nervous about going war-crazy in Europe it is still a decent avenue for expansion for France.

• Options
    My most successful game as France I beat up on Portugal and Castille/Spain a lot. I lost interest after I had taken about half of Iberia and the Netherlands popped up and decided they didn't like me even though I supported their independence from Austria, and of course Austria didn't like me and was allied to Spain. I very nearly got a PU on Great Britain a few times, but GB ended up leader of the Protestant League (I was also a member) but never felt like kicking off the war, and I'm not sure I blame them.

I should try France again, I think I'm better at the game now than I was before, and I also would be able to grab one of the Protestant Centers of Reformation instead of missing out and going Reformed, which I wasn't a huge fan of. I hadn't wanted to stay Catholic because I fought the Pope a lot since the Papal State was allied to Portugal and Spain. I've also contemplated trying Ottomans again, I haven't had a chance to use their new government type or see their new events.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Burgundy was one of the most fun campaigns I experienced in the game

They were moved the recommended nations a while ago and I would agree

• Options
    75% inflation before 1600, I think I'm restarting this

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    The France in my Najd game has eaten Spain

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options

:o What have you done?!

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Probably went for the "Florryworry" achievement.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I ended up juggling ~20 loans early in my Najd game; I eventually avoided bankruptcy, but only just

It seemed important to secure the northern half of Oman in order to embrace Feudalism, and then Hormuz in order to generate a Renaissance province efficiently

But the wars and resultant revolts were expensive

kedinik on
  • Options
    Tynnan wrote: »

Probably went for the "Florryworry" achievement.

Florrynomics: Have over 100 loans and positive income.

Alternative version: Use the phrase "restructuring my debt" in relation to playing a video game.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Sometimes you just can't stop loaning

I restarted and apparently ending the Peasants' War by letting the peasants break my country didn't get rid of my Enforce Serfdom modifier? That seems like a bug or at least backwards (the peasants won, didn't they)

Enforce Serfdom is +25% National Manpower Modifier and +1 Unrest

Letting the rebels break resets your stability and war exhaustion to 0, by the way, at the cost of autonomy (but you can just assign estates)

Platy on
  • Options
    Sometimes you just can't stop loaning

I restarted and apparently ending the Peasants' War by letting the peasants break my country didn't get rid of my Enforce Serfdom modifier? That seems like a bug or at least backwards (the peasants won, didn't they)

Enforce Serfdom is +25% National Manpower Modifier and -1 Unrest

Letting the rebels break resets your stability and war exhaustion to 0, by the way, at the cost of autonomy (but you can just assign estates)

That sounds like potential shenanigans to me.

• Options
    Oops, I wrote -1 N. Unrest instead of +1 N. Unrest, you trade unrest for manpower

It's a quite hefty modifier, I'm unsure if taking a permanent unrest hit is worth the extra manpower in a world conquest scenario, but if you never go above 100% Overextension it basically acts as a mini-Quantity

• Options
    Oops, I wrote -1 N. Unrest instead of +1 N. Unrest, you trade unrest for manpower

It's a quite hefty modifier, I'm unsure if taking a permanent unrest hit is worth the extra manpower in a world conquest scenario, but if you never go above 100% Overextension it basically acts as a mini-Quantity

Yeah. I've never tried world conquest, no real interest in it, but never going over 100% OE seems like it would require a lot of planning/foresight.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    It's kind of funny allying with Russia against the Ottomans

Lots of Russians die in battles, but there are always plenty of new Russians to take their place, and eventually the Ottomans run out of manpower

Meanwhile I'm slowly taking forts on the other side of the Mediterranean, as if I were on a vacation

kedinik on
  • Options
    This game can be just annoying sometimes.

• Options
    This game can be just annoying sometimes.

What happened

I'm currently trying to find a good balance between my desire to expand as quickly as possible and actually investing into my country and tech

• Options
    I just don't know how to do stuff yet even though I learned a lot. I got declared war by Brittany when all my manpower was gone and I don't know how to deal with losses.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I just don't know how to do stuff yet even though I learned a lot. I got declared war by Brittany when all my manpower was gone and I don't know how to deal with losses.

Mercs?

• Options
    I tried. I think I'm scared of loans.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Something else to examine would be where that manpower went in your previous war. Did you lose soldiers to things like attrition and attacking across rivers? If you're in a position where depleting manpower puts you at risk in the short term future, it might be worth settling for fewer gains to preserve your armies.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Sometimes your mistakes can take years or decades to reveal themselves.

For example waging a bloody war to gain some territory might seem like a win when the war ends and you have all these new lands. In reality that war cost you 80% of your manpower and made you weak enough that your neighbours decide that they can win a war against you.

As players we do it all the time. Wait for the AI to get into a war/just finish a war and attack when they're weak.

• Options
    I know in my Aztec game I started a war against one of the last sets of North American native tribes, but their federation was way stronger than I was expecting. After I saw how many losses I took early, I got a white peace out of that one instead of throwing away more manpower and weakening myself to British aggression. I did come back to them later and take some land from them, but mostly they got taken out by British Louisiana.

steam_sig.png