As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Alert Bohemia can get a really early Hussitte center of reformation this could be really really funny I'll let ya know

I'll also let ya know how much of a pain in the ass fighting Austria will be

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I just united Ireland by 1458, including getting Pale from England. OPMs tend to only maintain 1-2 troops, so taking all the minors is trivial. Then England attacked, so I took all the loans, hired every merc available, and stackwiped about 30k English troops. I expected to declare bankruptcy after that, but nope, I was able to take 800 ducats in the peace deal and pay it all off.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Really getting the feeling there's like a single missing semicolon in a config file somewhere that's screwing a whole lot of stuff up.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I tried playing Austria the old way, and it stalled out in around 1560. Tried it the new way... revoked in 1483. About 20 years off the pace, but still pretty good. And really damn easy, I spent most of that at speed 5.

1C99091A9258E96914005D93DDC2E22EB56422E1

Dip power is in the negatives because I spent most of it with about 30-50 dip relations. PSA: if you try this, just keep all those relations, don't drop them when you add them to the HRE, because that will hurt your relations with them and they'll vote against Revoking. You're stuck at -999, and those relations will go away when you revoke, so just leave them.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    What's revoking? HRE mechanic?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Dip power is in the negatives because I spent most of it with about 30-50 dip relations. PSA: if you try this, just keep all those relations, don't drop them when you add them to the HRE, because that will hurt your relations with them and they'll vote against Revoking. You're stuck at -999, and those relations will go away when you revoke, so just leave them.

Ahh, I was wondering what I was missing in my current Austria game. Never occurred to me to go so far over the relations cap.
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Revoking is the 'Revoke The Privilegia' HRE decision that makes all members that agree into your vassals. They do not take any diplo slots, and are the vassal swarm you sometimes hear about.

Ruldar on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

Revoking the Privilegia, it's an HRE reform which makes all HRE states which agree to the reform your vassals

It existed since EU3, in the newest patch it's down the Centralization path

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Been having fun playing as Ambrosian Italy. The reform progress has been excellent so far, I'll be interested to see how my Absolutism looks when I can get the last reform. I'm wondering if I can keep the Monarch Point privileges, or maybe re-grant them after Court and Country.

I think I'll wait on playing the actual Emperor until the first hotfix happens, but what I've seen definitely has a lot of potential so I'm happy to wait.

• Options
    Haven't yet every played an HRE country. Only interactions i had was them demanding provinces back (and me flipping then the bird) when i played as France and as Castille. Also in my current Ottoman game, frigin Albania somehow got into the HRE, so if i want to take their two crappy provinces a swarm of a dozen countries will descend upon me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh also Byzantium gets a decision to insta-convert Constantinople to Greek Orthodox if Ottomans took their Turkish Sunni conversion option and my vassal made use of it, so that was neat.

• Options
    Haven't yet every played an HRE country. Only interactions i had was them demanding provinces back (and me flipping then the bird) when i played as France and as Castille. Also in my current Ottoman game, frigin Albania somehow got into the HRE, so if i want to take their two crappy provinces a swarm of a dozen countries will descend upon me.

Time to go over the relations limit and dismantle the empire.

• Options
    edited June 2020

You are saying as Ottoman i should befriend and ally all the little countries in Germany and have them vote to dismantle, so i can take Albania?

I was just going to gobble up the middle east for a child of hundred years before taking the balkans.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

You are saying as Ottoman i should befriend and ally all the little countries in Germany and have them vote to dismantle, so i can take Albania?

I was just going to gobble up the middle east for a child of hundred years before taking the balkans.

You don't need all the little countries. Just seven of them. Or maybe four or five depending on who the Emperor's allied. :P

• Options
    Dismantling works this way: you need to control the Emperor's capital and all the Electors' capitals

If the Elector is with you in the war against the Emperor, they count as controlled

If all conditions are met, you can press the Dismantle button in the HRE interface

• Options
    Doing it just for the sake of eating Albania probably isn't worth it, but it all depends on your goals and where you'd like to go - expanding beyond the Balkans is slow in the beginning because of the HRE and Europe being religiously unified, so you get massive AE

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I haven't bought emperor but I decided to play in Italy to finally get the Lucca achievement. They have ideas now... not very good ideas, but ideas!

I've united all of Tuscany, grabbed Genoa, Sardinia, and the westernmost isle of the Baleares for naval range. Basically I just want to solidify my position as a tall strong nation in Italy before starting to expand through the globe.

Gundi on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Johan just confirmed over on the Paradox boards that they'll have a hotfix out next week:
    We are working on several issues for an hotfix, however, specficially regarding the HRE balance, we have reverted a mistake that made AI ignore its logic for joining the HRE. We are also tweaking numbers regarding Imperial Authority gain, amongst other things.

Which means the "Revoke in fifteen years" stuff should be gone. Also, hilarious.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    The Austrian mission 'Imperial Ascendancy' is broken, so now I can't get the achievement for finishing their mission tree.

It requires free cities in the HRE, but you can't have free cities after revoking. The text for the mission says have free cities OR revoke, but I checked the game file and it says AND.

What the fuck did these guys spend a year doing? It's called the Austria update but Austria is so broken.

• Options
    Keep your safe until the hotfix

• Options
    Mission tree stuff is at least an incredibly easy fix.

My assumption is that most of the effort went into completely overhauling mercs, estates, states, and trade companies

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    It kinda means no one playtested a full Austria game in the Austria update

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Got the spaghetti western cheevo with Texas in 1553 coulda had it earlier if I had know what the mission was

Once you get pisa/Lucca just exploit tax for money and if your lucky get institutions

Also dump all your lands to estates for the +1 monarch points all you'll get is the loss of seize land and a acceptance of some merchant shit and go back to 30% crown land

You need your capital in Rio Grande and 4 total provinces, admin tech 10 and when taken it annexe all other colional counties so form Cuban and some others if ya want then sell the Italian provinces and pay off debt

I had to fight a col war against opms in the hre but I won that with Milan and mercs once I got a eastern coast I never bothered doing more war but there is a tale in how Austria hung me out to dry and must now die

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    They seemed to finally fix the bug where declaring war on a colonial nation didn't bring in the overlord. Which meant that instead of merely seizing Portugal's Caribbean territories, i got almost all of it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I dunno when they fixed it but I totes let protugal form a colony in the node so in I could take 10 provinces for free in a war, it's a large part ofmt no tears strat I'ma do after this but it's been fixed for a while now if your capital is in a colonial region

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Watching the Vatican consistently beat up Catholic Spain is pretty funny. But they're in the HRE and I need Minorca for a mission so I'm kind of grumpy about it too. I'm allied with the Emperor, though I don't really need to be. 200 years of being buddies with Austria though. :(

• Options
    They seemed to finally fix the bug where declaring war on a colonial nation didn't bring in the overlord. Which meant that instead of merely seizing Portugal's Caribbean territories, i got almost all of it.
    This isn't a bug there are just weird unstated rules for when a colonial nation can call in their overlord.

Also I don't know if it was in this patch or added before but monastic orders reforms are pretty good. Playing as the knights to get their new achievement and there's a set of naval government reforms that seem tailor made for them.

My navy is already the envy of the Mediterranean.

• Options
    1561 formed Jerusalem, got the achievement. Probably the only game I will EVER go naval ideas. Mameluks were/are very strong. They gobbled up about 80% of anatolia. Ottomans had a bad game. I own all the greek lands including Constantinople and Cyprus. Fought the Mameluks by myself. My navy obliterated the Mamluke fleet even outnumbered 3:1, and I attacked them when I was on military tech 12 while they were only on 11. By hiring mercs and using straight crossings I was able to rack up tons of of war score using a crusade cb. The hardest part was sieging down forts so I could actually take provinces, but eventually I wore the Mameluks down to the point that I had time enough to do it. War took about seven years though to be able to get the peace deal I wanted, Palestine+Antioch+As much gold as possible to pay back my large debt with interest. Don't know if I'll continue the game, but I'm on the cusp of Great Power Status, recently became allied with Austria, Hungary, and Aragon. Venice just becomes a liability as an ally when you can assure naval supremacy by yourself. (They were even allied to the Ottomans at one point which was... annoying.)

• Options
    While Europe was a mess I tried to get African Power. I got off to a great start, but I think I bit off more than I could handle with my plan of embracing Catholicism by Kongo's event, then flipping to Protestant to get Printing Press. Decades of no expansion, -8 stability, spending all my manpower on fighting rebels, deep debt, increased autonomy everywhere... it was just too much. Next time I try I'm telling the Catholics to bugger off.

Trying France now, and I think they've messed up vassal AI. Setting them all to supportive and clicking the 'attach to me' button made all my vassals send their troops home. Turned focuses off and they would sorta siege some places, they even fought some enemy troops once, but mostly they were worthless.

• Options
    Can anyone help explain a succession war to me?
    B2C825FC9A1B6B6AEDAEE4D65E3BBA2A4AE5FDBB

Austria could fall under a PU with Bohemia. This is fine, and makes sense. But why would England be able to contest that? Austria is my rival, so I should be eligible, and I clearly have more military strength than England so I should be the #1 ranked option. Unless they need to rival me, or Bohemia needs to rival me... but what I've read is they don't need to. So why doesn't the tooltip say 'succession war between Bohemia and France'?

• Options
    Personal Unions and how they are calculated is something I have never really understood. It's frustrating.

Also taking one of the hegemon slots is interesting. -100 relations with everybody, including your colonies.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    No it's if you're rivals with Bohemia, not Austria. You can only start contested succession wars if your rival is the one getting a personal union, not if they're the one falling into a personal union. (or if you had marriage ties and the military score) Although, in that screenshot, it doesn't like Austria is actually your rival? Austria's listed rivals are England, Lithuania, Poland, and the ottomans. Also it's worth noting that military score is weird and does not exactly indicate military strength. It is highly unlikely but possible that England could have a higher military score than you. (Like for example if they hired tons of generals as the AI are wont to do.) Still I think the main thing is it does not seem you are actually rivaled to Austria. If you rivaled them in the past I would guess you became too strong to rival them and didn't notice/have disabled the pop-up?

Gundi on
  • Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    No it's if you're rivals with Bohemia, not Austria. You can only start contested succession wars if your rival is the one getting a personal union, not if they're the one falling into a personal union. (or if you had marriage ties and the military score) Although, in that screenshot, it doesn't like Austria is actually your rival? Austria's listed rivals are England, Lithuania, Poland, and the ottomans. Also it's worth noting that military score is weird and does not exactly indicate military strength. It is highly unlikely but possible that England could have a higher military score than you. (Like for example if they hired tons of generals as the AI are wont to do.) Still I think the main thing is it does not seem you are actually rivaled to Austria. If you rivaled them in the past I would guess you became too strong to rival them and didn't notice/have disabled the pop-up?

According to this (which is the best resource on PUs I know of): https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/guide-to-royal-marriages-personal-unions-and-claim-throne.788829/
    "Among all possible aggressive claimants in a succession war (meaning your RM partners, the RM partners of the heirless nation, the nations that set YOU or the heirless nation as rival, and other nations with your dynasty)", where 'you' is the senior partner in the PU. I've set the heirless nation as rival, so I should qualify.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure it's the person getting the PU you need to be rival to not the person getting PU'd. That is the way I've always observed it happening. Also, yeah, it's hard to see but I vaguely see your France's fluer's. France's flag with overlay opacity really blends

• Options
    That's a pain, because I don't think there's any chance of me rivaling bohemia.
    And yes, sorry, forgot to mention my rivalry was there but hidden

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I rolled the Texas save back to exploit 7 cities and colonies and if I wanted I can have most of the east coast stretching from Canada to Brazil while also having a province in Ireland to commence operation don't fuck with Texas

Targets Great Britain for forming and bankrupting scotland, France for having the balls and failing to go to war with me and Austria for things before we were Texans

I can't form Great Britain for the extra red coat lulz tho so I'll murder them with my 10% fire damage and reduction 30% morale and if I get to quality 10% infantry damage and 5% disc + the arty fire and siege from innovative + offensive

I ain't never played Prussia just Sweden but I dunno if there's a better unit buffs then I've got now, oh and the other Texan national idea makes you not have to care at all about religion it fucking rules, like heretics and heathens give no penalties you never have to deal with it free 100% religious unity always and forever

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Finished up Bavaria and started again as Mulhouse - I was expecting it to be more difficult but Swabian states have a mission which lets them inherit any allied Swabian nations if they beat Austria, even Free Cities, it's rather cool

So you can become a powerhouse really quickly if you ally France and sic them on Austria

• Options
    Swabian Ideas are A++ because they get -15% AE impact

I wanted to become Protestant and become Emperor that way, but Protestantism never took off, instead 3/4ths of the HRE are Reformed

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I've only ever dismantled the HRE when they were a pathetic nothing before. I decided to to do it today, against a big Austria and a strong HRE, around 1530ish. Allied every elector that wasn't allied to Austria, then declared a humiliation war on Austria, then raced 4 stacks with 10 artillery each (and infantry support) at the capitals I needed. Less than a year after the war's start, I dismantled the HRE, and there had only been about 2 battles. Now to expand with impunity!

Update: dismantling the HRE does not prevent every ex-prince joining a coalition against you because you tried to expand with impunity.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I rolled the Texas save back to exploit 7 cities and colonies and if I wanted I can have most of the east coast stretching from Canada to Brazil while also having a province in Ireland to commence operation don't fuck with Texas

Targets Great Britain for forming and bankrupting scotland, France for having the balls and failing to go to war with me and Austria for things before we were Texans

I can't form Great Britain for the extra red coat lulz tho so I'll murder them with my 10% fire damage and reduction 30% morale and if I get to quality 10% infantry damage and 5% disc + the arty fire and siege from innovative + offensive

I ain't never played Prussia just Sweden but I dunno if there's a better unit buffs then I've got now, oh and the other Texan national idea makes you not have to care at all about religion it fucking rules, like heretics and heathens give no penalties you never have to deal with it free 100% religious unity always and forever

I decided to play aztecs again and an currently invading an alliance of France, England, Provence, and the Two Sicilies... but I have 132% discipline, 20% infantry combat ability, and +30% morale modifier from ideas and policies... *laughs in mesoamerican Prussian*
    Platy wrote: »
    Swabian Ideas are A++ because they get -15% AE impact

I wanted to become Protestant and become Emperor that way, but Protestantism never took off, instead 3/4ths of the HRE are Reformed

They also get +25% improve relations so that's great. The combo of those two ideas make Swabia's idea set quite strong even if they're also stuck with some mediocre economic and military ideas. Imrpove relations is just soooo good for any nation. (That's not in the Americas.)

Gundi on
  • Options
    Oh they have +15% Morale of Armies as their Ambition

I have bad news about merc spam by the way

8o4cSR8.jpg