As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

1868788899092»

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I need to stop watching YouTube EU4 videos, they make me think i can play that well and i can't.

Anywho, I've such video i watched the guy says before unpausing at start "and then we go to the economy screen to lower development cost" then moves on to show a lower development cost on a province then what i have in my game for same province. WTF is he talking about?

Second, unrelated question: if you get an bonus from splendor (i.e. all your colonies start at +1 to each development), does that go away at start of next "age" or does it persist to the end of the game? If it goes away, is it better to not buy a perk if age is about to shift?

Related to that, what's the best time to trigger golden age? In the past i usually did it near the end of a given age to get help starting the next one, but i have no idea what's actually optimal.

IME it's best to trigger a golden age once you've more or less capped absolutism (if you're going for it) or as early as possible otherwise.

uH3IcEi.png
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited November 23
    Portugal game where I'm hoping to colonize as much shoreline as possible before the other euros show up. I have a colony each in Caribbean, Colombia, Brazil, and Cape Verde and all Exploration ideas unlocked so far, and Castille is still on their first exploration idea. I colonize over 100 people a month. My explorer ship is in South China Sea at the moment.

My economy is garbage though.
    About to start a war with Morocco to nab a gold mine.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Second, unrelated question: if you get an bonus from splendor (i.e. all your colonies start at +1 to each development), does that go away at start of next "age" or does it persist to the end of the game? If it goes away, is it better to not buy a perk if age is about to shift?

Related to that, what's the best time to trigger golden age? In the past i usually did it near the end of a given age to get help starting the next one, but i have no idea what's actually optimal.

Splendor bonuses go away at the start of the next age. But you should always buy them, because your splendor will be reset to 0 at the start of the next age, so there's no point saving up.

Elvenshae

Splendor bonuses go away at the start of the next age. But you should always buy them, because your splendor will be reset to 0 at the start of the next age, so there's no point saving up.

That's unfortunate, but good to know, thanks all!

steam_sig.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I need to stop watching YouTube EU4 videos, they make me think i can play that well and i can't.

Anywho, I've such video i watched the guy says before unpausing at start "and then we go to the economy screen to lower development cost" then moves on to show a lower development cost on a province then what i have in my game for same province. WTF is he talking about?

I think I know the video you're talking about
    IIRC he got the Burghers Loyalty above 60, which gives you dev cost reduction, but the game doesn't actually apply it until a day has passed. Or you check the economy tab, it seems.

Also if that's the guy I'm thinking of his thumbnails and his attitude have veen getting very clickbaity and insufferable. I miss Reman videos.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The way he clickbaits is fascinating to me but it does get in the way of actually giving good advice

Re: Golden Age, an early GA is great when you're starting outside Europe as a small nation and you wanna get big while keeping up in tech

If your goal is to get as much territory as possible before the game ends, it's best to trigger it after 1700

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Portugal game where I'm hoping to colonize as much shoreline as possible before the other euros show up. I have a colony each in Caribbean, Colombia, Brazil, and Cape Verde and all Exploration ideas unlocked so far, and Castille is still on their first exploration idea. I colonize over 100 people a month. My explorer ship is in South China Sea at the moment.

When you say you have a colony each, do you mean a Colonial Nation or a single province? It's much better to grab five provinces in a single region to generate a Colonial Nation and then move into another region - the CN will pretty quickly start to colonize other nearby empty provinces themselves. (Go for the Carribean first so you can steal trade.)

The exception to this is in Mexico and Brazil, where you can colonize next to a native nation and then trivially gobble up four provinces off them in one war, which will immediately form the CN.

uH3IcEi.png
    edited November 24
    Monwyn wrote: »

When you say you have a colony each, do you mean a Colonial Nation or a single province? It's much better to grab five provinces in a single region to generate a Colonial Nation and then move into another region - the CN will pretty quickly start to colonize other nearby empty provinces themselves. (Go for the Carribean first so you can steal trade.)

The exception to this is in Mexico and Brazil, where you can colonize next to a native nation and then trivially gobble up four provinces off them in one war, which will immediately form the CN.

One province each. Was going to do the trade node in Caribbean next. The mission tree encouraged me to get one in Brazil, and my burghers wanted me to get one in Colombia. Doing the Colombia one was massive increase in settlers per month.

Edit: got all of Haiti colonized (well, 2 in progress). Going they can start a colonial nation soon so i can start elsewhere.

My economy has improved significantly, and i only have one non-burgher loan, and that only because i wanted to embrace Renaissance finally since i had colonialism pop in Porto. Conquering much of Morocco regrettably slowed me down, but at least I'm getting now 10g+/month from the gold mine there. Finally got a decent light ship fleet, and have some economy buildings. Got just over 20g coming in a month in 1499.

The bad news is that Castile it's my only option for rival (started out with the Maghreb countries but they all got smooshed by me or Castille). They and England (which has conquered or vasalized GB isles and still has a foothold in Basque France) are my allies. England has yet to call me into any way, and Castille asked for help one with Granada, and once with Tunis. They bought sold me favors for like 20g, i think they are broke.

Also, the Ottomans have now allied Morocco, so that's probably the end of that expansion for now. Maybe i should start taking province from Brazilians like someone upthread suggested.

As far as i can tell, Castille is the only other colonizer, with one province just south of Mali.

What's the condition for treasure fleets to start showing up?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
    Platy
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

One province each. Was going to do the trade node in Caribbean next. The mission tree encouraged me to get one in Brazil, and my burghers wanted me to get one in Colombia. Doing the Colombia one was massive increase in settlers per month.

Edit: got all of Haiti colonized (well, 2 in progress). Going they can start a colonial nation soon so i can start elsewhere.

My economy has improved significantly, and i only have one non-burgher loan, and that only because i wanted to embrace Renaissance finally since i had colonialism pop in Porto. Conquering much of Morocco regrettably slowed me down, but at least I'm getting now 10g+/month from the gold mine there. Finally got a decent light ship fleet, and have some economy buildings. Got just over 20g coming in a month in 1499.

The bad news is that Castile it's my only option for rival (started out with the Maghreb countries but they all got smooshed by me or Castille). They and England (which has conquered or vasalized GB isles and still has a foothold in Basque France) are my allies. England has yet to call me into any way, and Castille asked for help one with Granada, and once with Tunis. They bought sold me favors for like 20g, i think they are broke.

Also, the Ottomans have now allied Morocco, so that's probably the end of that expansion for now. Maybe i should start taking province from Brazilians like someone upthread suggested.

As far as i can tell, Castille is the only other colonizer, with one province just south of Mali.

What's the condition for treasure fleets to start showing up?

1. You have a colonial nation in a trade node that flows into yours.
    2. They produce gold.

A tip if you have Leviathan, the self-governing colony isn't worth it and you would want to switch out of it anyway when the colonial nation gets bigger

I do have Levoathan but this is my first time colonizing since i bought it so i don't know what that means.

steam_sig.png
    I'm a bit torn on the warscore, overextension, AE changes

It's still awful to break up large nations but small nations go down even easier from it

And the window where one lost war can mean the end of your campaign is even bigger now