As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

UK sees a PS3 price drop

• Options
    ValeeValee Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    According to the IGN article, Play.com is also planning to offer the Core Xbox 360 for just £149.99 - £50 lower than the RRP - and is dropping the price of the Premium Xbox 360 from £279.99 to £249.99 until April 10.

So to take the additional info into perspective, this could be aggressive marketing on the part of Play.com rather than an indicator of market demand of the PS3.

Valee on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Wow, there are going to be some pissed off early adopters.

to be fair, they were asking for it when they decided to spend that much on a console.

To be fair, only a complete and total asshole would say something like that.

Not really. Anyone who spends £425 on a PS3 at launch would have known that the price would drop in the future. I thus refute your calling me an asshole.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    IS the Wii seeing anything similar?

Do they have any Wii's?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

to be fair, they were asking for it when they decided to spend that much on a console.

Not really. Anyone who spends £425 on a PS3 at launch would have known that the price would drop in the future. I thus refute your calling me an asshole.

I knew that the price of my PS2 would drop in the future. Two years in the future, not two weeks. I thusly prove that you're a smug prick.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited April 2007
    well you don't generally expect the price to drop like a week after launch

bongi on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    IS the Wii seeing anything similar?

Do they have any Wii's?

Similar as in Price drop? I doubt it. They're still selling as fast as Nintendo can manufacture them.

japan on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    dodn't the Xbox drop in price a massive £100 in just a month?

To be honest I see that happening within 6 months or so for the PS3.

You have to accept that with early adopting. The Wii won't be £180 this xmas thats for sure*.
    * Not for sure

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    just remember, everyone, this isn't an official Sony msrp price drop.

slash000 on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

I knew that the price of my PS2 would drop in the future. Two years in the future, not two weeks. I thusly prove that you're a smug prick.
    Every time I see you post it's you defending Sony while calling people names. I think it would help you to not call people names right off the bat.

Makes you look angry.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's fine to defend Sony, so long as you don't do it in the way Bladeoftheimmortal or Terrorbyte do it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lave wrote: »

You have to accept that with early adopting. The Wii won't be £180 this xmas thats for sure*.
    * Not for sure

I think microsoft offered a bunch of stuff to people who bought it to make up for that fact. It was something like a couple of games and a controller.

And due to the fact that you still can't find a Wii anywhere I'm willing to bet that the RRP of a Wii will remain pretty constant just with bundles for the discount.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Goomba wrote: »

Every time I see you post it's you defending Sony while calling people names. I think it would help you to not call people names right off the bat.

Makes you look angry.

I am pretty angry, honestly. I mean, completely seperate from the whole Sony thing. I only defend Sony because every single thread that's about a Sony console turns into a vitriolic rant against Sony. That, and Lewie's comment was a prickish thing to say.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    I think microsoft offered a bunch of stuff to people who bought it to make up for that fact. It was something like a couple of games and a controller.

And due to the fact that you still can't find a Wii anywhere I'm willing to bet that the RRP of a Wii will remain pretty constant just with bundles for the discount.
    Yeah, Microsoft were quite nice about their initial "Wow, we were fucking retarded with our launch price" price drop. If I remember right I got an extra controller and a couple of shitty games for free, which was nice.

And Wiis aren't that hard to find. It may only be anecdotal but both a housemate and an old friend have both popped out and just picked one up at the first shop they happened across, no problems at all (This was in Bristol and in Lincoln).

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm sure Wii availability will vary tremendously. I mean places like amazon and play don't have them which is a pretty good indicator of the fact that they're certainly not things that you can just go into any store and buy. I haven't seen any on shelves around edinburgh for a while now, though I only go through places like hmv/game/virgin etc.

Rook on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Goomba wrote: »

Makes you look angry.

I am pretty angry, honestly. I mean, completely seperate from the whole Sony thing. I only defend Sony because every single thread that's about a Sony console turns into a vitriolic rant against Sony. That, and Lewie's comment was a prickish thing to say.
    Still, going around calling people assholes makes you look less mature and more likely to be wrong.

Just sayin'.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    countvaselinecountvaseline Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Play are actually selling the PS3 with an HDMI cable (£8) and a bluray film (£18), all be it a shitty Adam Sandler one, so it's actually a bit worse when you look at it that way.

It isn't the first time this has happened. The Xbox dropped £100 in a month and by christmas it was selling for £20 when you added further drops and 4 bundled games.
    The gamecube was dropped for a few reasons by DSG (Dixons & Currys), firstly they weren't making any money off of the units at £135 so they upped the price to £150 and no-one bought them because they were a rip-off. The new found popularity of the xbox and the ps2 meant shelf space was required. And lastly Nintendo had no leverage with the huge electronic retailer other than gameboy and at the time it didn't count for much. Which is why DSG chains didn't get any Wii at launch. A little pay-back. Sony DOES have leverage though with it's vast amounts of other products and so dropping a Sony product could cause many problems. DSG dropping you is the death nail for any electronic device.

These problems aren't shared by online retailers like play or your high street "everything" shop like Woolworths. They could drop the PS3 in a heartbeat and seeing as they (woolworths etc) don't really carry any other £425 products, or anything close to that with as small of a profit on it anyway, it wouldn't be entirely unexpected. It'd still be stupidly early to dump the PS3 though.

UK stores just aren't as forgiving as those elsewhere it seems.

And more importantly wouldn't you be pissed at this if you bought one a couple of weeks ago at £425? At least Microsoft gave you your money back.

countvaseline on
    helter.jpg
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    countvaseline, do you have a newsletter? One would consider a subscription.

EDIT: wonder_hippie, LewieP was being mean, if you buy a console at launch you have to understand there may be cuts. But lets remember these are temp cuts by the retailers to clear stocks - not permant. Lets all have a huggsy. Mwa! x x

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

* Not for sure

Doesn't matter what price it is if nobody can find one. (at a reasonable price, you eBay charlatan scumbag pigfuckers)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anecdotally, both my local Tesco stores (big massive mega Extra and local Metro) stock software and hardware for all consoles apart from the PS3 so far (not been in the big one this week).

Even the little one has the top 10 PSP lineup and top 10 UMD movies, and is given about the same shelf space as the DS.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Has anyone seen the latest post on UK Resistance? I can't tell if it is a joke, or who it is aimed at.. because all the pictures of Wii's being out of stock are taken in the same frame with PS3's and massive inventory lists.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ValeeValee Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought it's a common practice that once you bought some electronic gadget, you should avoid the pricelist like the plague. Because that's exactly when the higher powers that delight in screwing you will snuck in a price cut. Or just call it Murphy's Law.

Valee on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know, most stores usually have price guarantees on high-ticket items, or at least so I thought. You know, if the price drops within a certain time after you bought it, you can get the difference back. I don't know if that applies to sales, however.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the latest post on UK Resistance? I can't tell if it is a joke, or who it is aimed at.. because all the pictures of Wii's being out of stock are taken in the same frame with PS3's and massive inventory lists.

You not British Athenor?

This isn't meant to condensending - but assuming you haven't heard of the site.

UK resistance is a long running sega web site that is continously sarcastic and attacks corperate bollocks at every turn. As Sega went bust a games decay, they become sad, angry and hilarious. And take the piss out of all formats.

They're taking the piss out of Sony with that article. As part of their War in Europe campaign against the PS3 launch. It's all Ironic - just making fun of the absurd price and the state of the industry.

They get a lot of stupid youtube/gamefaq posters not getting the UK humour and thinking they're massive fanboys. It's rather funny.

I also like the way their best game of the year (animal crossing) which they adore had a 90's console war adjusted rating of 8/10.

TL;DR : It's the classic british humour of exaggerating your despair at the world and being as sarcastic as possible.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh, I know what the site is, I've been following it the last few weeks. And I usually get British humor. But this one seemed really harsh on Nintendo in the text, and then the pictures...

I thought it was fucking funny if it was an attack on Sony, but otherwise a bit confusing.

Athenor on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You not British Athenor?

This isn't meant to condensending - but assuming you haven't heard of the site.

UK resistance is a long running sega web site that is continously sarcastic and attacks corperate bollocks at every turn. As Sega went bust a games decay, they become sad, angry and hilarious. And take the piss out of all formats.

They're taking the piss out of Sony with that article. As part of their War in Europe campaign against the PS3 launch. It's all Ironic - just making fun of the absurd price and the state of the industry.

They get a lot of stupid youtube/gamefaq posters not getting the UK humour and thinking they're massive fanboys. It's rather funny.

I also like the way their best game of the year (animal crossing) which they adore had a 90's console war adjusted rating of 8/10.

TL;DR : It's the classic british humour of exaggerating your despair at the world and being as sarcastic as possible.

And it's funny as fuck. C&W fo' lyfe!

ben0207 on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    man, I wish U.S. ps3 saw a price drop.. there are a couple of upcoming games I really want and I want blue-ray.. I want to watch movies in HD :(

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh, I know what the site is, I've been following it the last few weeks. And I usually get British humor. But this one seemed really harsh on Nintendo in the text, and then the pictures...

I thought it was fucking funny if it was an attack on Sony, but otherwise a bit confusing.

Oh don't worry they'll crucify Nintendo once the launch has calmed down. They meant the gamecube in white boxes jokes. No doubt they will attack the lack of games at the moment in the future.

They confuse a lot of people who join in when they ridicule another console and then get offended when they start ridiculing their personal console.

The ONLY thing they love is SEGA and that love is UNCONDITIONAL.

I find them a useful for keeping my inner fanboy in check.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I see. They do realize the best Sega game in a while just came out on the Wii, yes? =P

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I see. They do realize the best Sega game in a while just came out on the Wii, yes? =P

Let's face it, that's not exactly high praise these days.

Rook on
  • Options
    InconsistentInconsistent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    so I work in Game in Ireland.
    we've been told that Nintendo were holding back production of Wii's until their financial year ended. They were flying out the door as soon as we got them but this week we've had plenty to go around.
    plenty of PS3's as well. still have some from launch night actually.

Inconsistent on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

* Not for sure

The Saturn also had a price drop in the first month because they were retarded and thought they could make a better profit by charging more for it. This blew up in their face and they had to change it.

I doubt the PS3 will have a price drop until Sony is making a profit on each PS3 sold. Sony claims that it hopes to break even by the end of the year.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    They type whilst crying about SEGA all the time. Sega on PS2 article

They're great. From a quick shufty - Anti Wii article - Anti 360 article

And my favourite BLUE SKYS IN GAMES CAMPAIGN

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think that there is a fair bit of hostility for Sony because people don't like their attitude. They come across as quite arrogant, cocky and condescending and a lot of members here don't take too kindly to that. It's just Sony's turn, Nintendo had theirs and learnt from it, maybe Sony will too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Guys, I got my Wii for £150 on launch day, does this mean Gamestation's price saving bundles were a sign of them losing faith in the console as well?

Or could it just be that stores like bundles?

And lets not forget, £425 is a stupid price. not just in a too big way, but it's not very marketable for a shop. £399.99 is a much better hook from a marketing standpoint. The launch buyers will have dried up by now, so it's time to sell it to everyone else. Nintendo are still struggling to meet their preorders in places thanks to piss poor supply (they had fewer preorders than the PS3, but still can't get the stock out) anyway, so neither is exactly flying into the mits of casual buyers at the moment.

And for some more anecdotal evidence, at my local Asda they've merged the 360 and Xbox sections into 4 shelves, dropped the GBA (the GC went over a year ago), given the DS 3 shelves, dropped UMD movies, split the next 7 shelf section between PSP and PC games. That takes up half the game section, with the rest being PS3 and PS2, mainly PS3. Plus 3 50 inch HD plasma TVs running PS3 demos.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    man, I wish U.S. ps3 saw a price drop.. there are a couple of upcoming games I really want and I want blue-ray.. I want to watch movies in HD :(

You probably would have by now, had the thing launched at $800+ like it did here.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Not a bd idea. The main barrier to entry is obviously price. They're going to have to do more of this to keep up a sales pace close to that of the Wii or 360.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    I think that there is a fair bit of hostility for Sony because people don't like their attitude. They come across as quite arrogant, cocky and condescending and a lot of members here don't take too kindly to that. It's just Sony's turn, Nintendo had theirs and learnt from it, maybe Sony will too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Honestly, I don't mind that happening. I understand that the general attitude towards Nintendo during the GC/N64 was similar to the attitude towards Sony right now. I still have my N64 hooked up (and play Quest 64 on it. Fuck off, all of you), and the GC shares a space next to my PS3, if that tells you anything. If that's any indication for the PS3, I've have some of the best gaming moments in my life on that machine.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »

Honestly, I don't mind that happening. I understand that the general attitude towards Nintendo during the GC/N64 was similar to the attitude towards Sony right now. I still have my N64 hooked up (and play Quest 64 on it. Fuck off, all of you), and the GC shares a space next to my PS3, if that tells you anything. If that's any indication for the PS3, I've have some of the best gaming moments in my life on that machine.

I still have my N64 hooked up too. It certainly wasn't Nintendo's finest hour but it's my personal favourite console of all.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    scootch wrote: »

You probably would have by now, had the thing launched at $800+ like it did here.

Yeah people seem to be forgetting if you convert it to US currency the PS3 launched at like $800-900.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Remember this isn't Sony dropping the RRP, this is retailers cutting prices to try and shift the remainder of the initial shipments which aren't selling.

Presumably the logic is that you can make some of the loss back on attached sales.

japan on