Options

prime 2014 registration anticipation

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited May 2014 in PAX West
Discuss registration here. You're all already wrong about when it's going to happen. Unless you're not.
zerzhul wrote: »
PAXisComing.jpg
Vaanrose wrote: »
W42rqgZ.jpg

zerzhul on
«134567111

Posts

  • Options
    StarYoshiStarYoshi Game Designer / Data Scientist USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I assume it's been confirmed already, but the 4-day pass should be $105 this year (Up from $95). At least that's what I was charged. (PAX DEV attendee) Just a FYI.

    StarYoshi on
    Attendance
    PAX Prime / PAX Dev 2014
    PAX Prime 2013
    PAX Prime 2009
  • Options
    ZurgettiZurgetti Librarian WARegistered User regular
    Disregarding the price for the moment and thinking only of the queue, would there be any benefit to just going straight for 4 1-day passes, instead of trying for a 4-day pass? This is only really relevant if you manage to get in right away the moment it's open when there still are 4-day passes to be had, but would your odds of getting what you want improve any, or is the difference so negligible that you're better off trying to save the 20-odd bucks by going for the 4-day pass?

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Zurgetti wrote: »
    Disregarding the price for the moment and thinking only of the queue, would there be any benefit to just going straight for 4 1-day passes, instead of trying for a 4-day pass? This is only really relevant if you manage to get in right away the moment it's open when there still are 4-day passes to be had, but would your odds of getting what you want improve any, or is the difference so negligible that you're better off trying to save the 20-odd bucks by going for the 4-day pass?
    It could make a difference, I guess. That's super duper hard to predict and likely not something any of us will be able to help you with.

  • Options
    PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    Zurgetti wrote: »
    Disregarding the price for the moment and thinking only of the queue, would there be any benefit to just going straight for 4 1-day passes, instead of trying for a 4-day pass? This is only really relevant if you manage to get in right away the moment it's open when there still are 4-day passes to be had, but would your odds of getting what you want improve any, or is the difference so negligible that you're better off trying to save the 20-odd bucks by going for the 4-day pass?

    Well 4 day pass will sell out in about 15 minutes based on previous history. All passes sell out within about 4 hours. That is a 94% difference so if you look at it from that point of view 4 1 days are much more beneficial to go for.

  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Maybe if someone can say specifically from experience, when you try to get a 4 Day pass and they are unavailable, do you get the option to immediately try to get 4 One Day passes? Or do you have to start back from the beginning again?

    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Maybe if someone can say specifically from experience, when you try to get a 4 Day pass and they are unavailable, do you get the option to immediately try to get 4 One Day passes? Or do you have to start back from the beginning again?
    I believe both have happened in the past, and given the potential for glitches/issues, relying on that past info is likely not good.

  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I believe both have happened in the past, and given the potential for glitches/issues, relying on that past info is likely not good.

    Interesting... And ominous...

    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Maybe if someone can say specifically from experience, when you try to get a 4 Day pass and they are unavailable, do you get the option to immediately try to get 4 One Day passes? Or do you have to start back from the beginning again?

    Isn't it set up so that once someone queues up, it put their desired passes on hold until checkout is complete or canceled, and once there are no more passes of a particular type, no one else can select that type of badge?

    tw787Xr.png


  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Right, but by selecting a badge, you're in the que for that badge, it's waiting to clear some customers through to see what is available. In theory, you could select a 4 day while there were some available, but in the mean time the last of the 4 days were sold... I just don't know if that means, "sorry, in the mean time the 4 day badges have sold out, would you like to purchase individual passes?" or more like, "sorry, in the mean time the 4 day badges have sold out. Please try again."

    And that kind of scares me. Ha ha ha... Ha... 0_0

    BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    SilvertwinnSilvertwinn Going on 40. "Get off my lawn!"Registered User regular
    RavenHusky wrote: »
    Isn't it set up so that once someone queues up, it put their desired passes on hold until checkout is complete or canceled, and once there are no more passes of a particular type, no one else can select that type of badge?

    That would make sense, since if you don't have an account on the ticket site, you need to spend valuable time entering in all your info to create one.

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm not being ominous, just realistic. Showclix has has problems in the past, so I don't want to pretend it's going to be perfect.

  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Lol, I wasn't implying you were being ominous zerzhul, just the situation. =)

    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Right, but by selecting a badge, you're in the que for that badge, it's waiting to clear some customers through to see what is available. In theory, you could select a 4 day while there were some available, but in the mean time the last of the 4 days were sold... I just don't know if that means, "sorry, in the mean time the 4 day badges have sold out, would you like to purchase individual passes?" or more like, "sorry, in the mean time the 4 day badges have sold out. Please try again."

    And that kind of scares me. Ha ha ha... Ha... 0_0

    In that case, after you send the request, if 4-days sold out in the meantime, wouldn't the server tell you that they sold out before you got put in the queue?

    It's either that, or you choose from what's available once you make it through.

    RavenHusky on
    tw787Xr.png


  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    This discussion was created from comments split from: PAX PRIME 2014 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE).

  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Thank you, zerzhul. Sorry for de-railing the FAQ.

    Ya, I really don't know, it's not clear from the PAX AUS site because the demand isn't high enough. I just would like to know if you're put into the que once you've selected badges, or are you in que before the badge purchasing and once you're through you have your opportunity to buy.

    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    RavenHusky wrote: »
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Right, but by selecting a badge, you're in the que for that badge, it's waiting to clear some customers through to see what is available. In theory, you could select a 4 day while there were some available, but in the mean time the last of the 4 days were sold... I just don't know if that means, "sorry, in the mean time the 4 day badges have sold out, would you like to purchase individual passes?" or more like, "sorry, in the mean time the 4 day badges have sold out. Please try again."

    And that kind of scares me. Ha ha ha... Ha... 0_0

    In that case, after you send the request, if 4-days sold out in the meantime, wouldn't the server tell you that they sold out before you got put in the queue?

    It's either that, or you choose from what's available once you make it through.
    The way it worked for last prime, which was WAY less than ideal, was that when you brought up the webpage, you had to select what you wanted right then. Then you got put in the queue. Sometimes at the end of that, due to glitches, it would say that what you selected was no longer available, and you'd have to select again. The way, at that point, that it's supposed to work, is that you select something else, and you go straight through with no queue. This /also/ sometimes broke last year, putting people BACK in the queue, OR in other cases, it broke the OTHER way, allowing people who had already completed a transaction to skip the queue altogether.

    These are all hopefully things that will be fixed. If you're worried though, yes, choosing the single days does seem like a "safer" option.

  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    This discussion was created from comments split from: PAX PRIME 2014 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE).

    Also, I didn't realize you could do this to allow for continued, uninterrupted discussion that stems from off-topic banter, that's really cool.

    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    The way it worked for last prime, which was WAY less than ideal, was that when you brought up the webpage, you had to select what you wanted right then. Then you got put in the queue. Sometimes at the end of that, due to glitches, it would say that what you selected was no longer available, and you'd have to select again. The way, at that point, that it's supposed to work, is that you select something else, and you go straight through with no queue. This /also/ sometimes broke last year, putting people BACK in the queue, OR in other cases, it broke the OTHER way, allowing people who had already completed a transaction to skip the queue altogether.

    These are all hopefully things that will be fixed. If you're worried though, yes, choosing the single days does seem like a "safer" option.

    Interesting. And good to know. Does anybody know for East whether this system was in place or if they had fixed things?

    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    There were fewer problems with East, but I honestly don't remember what they were specifically.

  • Options
    foggynightsfoggynights Registered User new member
    Is it unethical for anyone to say if the registration will be after Easter so people can enjoy their holiday or are they just going to have everyone hang around their computers all weekend. I really wish they would give

  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Is it unethical for anyone to say if the registration will be after Easter so people can enjoy their holiday or are they just going to have everyone hang around their computers all weekend. I really wish they would give

    I obviously can't make guarantees, but I would be VERY suprised if we saw anything before Easter. Don't forget that while it may seem like it, PAX East doesn't simply vanish into nothing when you walk out the door. There are loose ends to be tied up, and people that probably want to regain a modicum of their sanity before they jump into registration for Prime right away. If memory serves, it's typically been roughly around the one month mark after the end of East. Granted, things may be in flux with the addition of a fourth PAX and whatnot.

    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    PurpleSky wrote: »
    Well 4 day pass will sell out in about 15 minutes based on previous history. All passes sell out within about 4 hours. That is a 94% difference so if you look at it from that point of view 4 1 days are much more beneficial to go for.

    Last year it was a little over 6 hours to sell out all passes, and the year before 24 hours. Don't scare people with 4 :)

  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    PurpleSky wrote: »
    Well 4 day pass will sell out in about 15 minutes based on previous history. All passes sell out within about 4 hours. That is a 94% difference so if you look at it from that point of view 4 1 days are much more beneficial to go for.

    Last year it was a little over 6 hours to sell out all passes, and the year before 24 hours. Don't scare people with 4 :)

    Remember that those numbers are a little misleading.
    In 2012 we don't really know how long it took to sell out because of the server melt down. 24 hours is a educated guess.
    In 2013 the Queue system was introduced and while all badges sold out in 6 hours, it does not convey that the person who bought the last badge was probably inline hours before they actually sold out.

    This year's sell out time will be interesting as we will see if the sell out increases due to the demand increase, just as every other year has been, or if we will see a similar sell out time as last year due to the limitation of how fast the Queue system can process orders.

    0hy0sznvqw4d.png
  • Options
    BanthaBantha Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Maybe if someone can say specifically from experience, when you try to get a 4 Day pass and they are unavailable, do you get the option to immediately try to get 4 One Day passes? Or do you have to start back from the beginning again?
    I believe both have happened in the past, and given the potential for glitches/issues, relying on that past info is likely not good.

    As a person who experienced this very thing last year, I can positively say "yes". When I hit the registration page, it LOOKED like 4 Day passes were still available. Let me put them in my cart and everything. Then when I tried to check out, it told me there were no more available. But I was able to simply change my order then and there to 4 Single Day passes and complete the transaction. I did not have to start from the beginning.

  • Options
    Csifreak86Csifreak86 Registered User regular
    I am beyond on edge waiting for the tickets to go on sale this year. I have been getting up early everyday to watch. Thankfully with being an Author I am already at my computer all day. Just have to keep playing the waiting game.

  • Options
    JKwonJKwon Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    As a person who experienced this very thing last year, I can positively say "yes". When I hit the registration page, it LOOKED like 4 Day passes were still available. Let me put them in my cart and everything. Then when I tried to check out, it told me there were no more available. But I was able to simply change my order then and there to 4 Single Day passes and complete the transaction. I did not have to start from the beginning.

    I can confirm this as well from last year.


    PAX Prime 2010 [x]
    PAX Prime 2011 [x]
    PAX Prime 2012 [x]
    PAX Prime 2013 [x]
    PAX Prime 2014 [x]
    PAX Prime 2015 [x]

    https://pinnypals.com/pals/5Panel
  • Options
    PaxDabberPaxDabber NorCal Registered User regular
    Is it safe to assume badges will NOT go on sale till next Friday? Getting so excited already. I've been lucky enough to get passes every year since 2008.

    PAX Prime veteran c. 2008-2012 3/day 2013 4/day

    [Roadtrip with 5 other gamers, from NorCal to Seattle ( X )
    6 bdr house rented (VBRO) ( X )
    F5ing till I get 6- 4/day passes ( X )]
    [6-4 day passes 2014 PAX Prime ( )]
  • Options
    ZurgettiZurgetti Librarian WARegistered User regular
    Csifreak86 wrote: »
    I am beyond on edge waiting for the tickets to go on sale this year. I have been getting up early everyday to watch. Thankfully with being an Author I am already at my computer all day. Just have to keep playing the waiting game.

    Same. I have the twitter notifier app on my computer, tweets from @Official_PAX set to go to my phone, the actual web page up and ready to be refreshed every few minutes, and my boyfriend and friend are on watch for them, too. Last year sounds too insane to risk doing things halfway.

  • Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    PaxDabber wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume badges will NOT go on sale till next Friday? Getting so excited already. I've been lucky enough to get passes every year since 2008.

    Passes could go on sale any time after the website is updated.

    tw787Xr.png


  • Options
    Spud387Spud387 Man of Inaction Vancouver, BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    PaxDabber wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume badges will NOT go on sale till next Friday? Getting so excited already. I've been lucky enough to get passes every year since 2008.
    It is not safe to assume anything. It is likely that they would not go on sale before Tuesday...

    Prime 2016 Status: Skipping. 2017, The Return.

    Attended: PAX Prime 2010/'11/'12/'13/'14
  • Options
    PaxDabberPaxDabber NorCal Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So...? I am going to count on the technology in place, i.e. @Official_Pax (been following since 2010) set to notify me. Basically my phone is gonna to warg. Haven't left computer since 9. Need to eat & dab; so I can be focused.

    PaxDabber on
    PAX Prime veteran c. 2008-2012 3/day 2013 4/day

    [Roadtrip with 5 other gamers, from NorCal to Seattle ( X )
    6 bdr house rented (VBRO) ( X )
    F5ing till I get 6- 4/day passes ( X )]
    [6-4 day passes 2014 PAX Prime ( )]
  • Options
    Disc07Disc07 Registered User regular
    Zurgetti wrote: »

    Same. I have the twitter notifier app on my computer, tweets from @Official_PAX set to go to my phone, the actual web page up and ready to be refreshed every few minutes, and my boyfriend and friend are on watch for them, too. Last year sounds too insane to risk doing things halfway.

    There are Chrome extensions to also notify you when a webpage changes, but honestly I like refreshing the old fashion way. You can also set up notifications for these forums to email you when someone posts on a conversation you are in. Which would be a safe thing to do as well to make sure that everyone knows the same time as the community once someone posts about it being live on here (or about any updates really) Hope the tips help :smile:

    PAX Prime Veteran c. 2007
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I believe they announced a time and date for badge release before this PAX East. I think the days of the wild west are over. The show is just too popular.

    Axon on
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Axon wrote: »
    I believe they announced a time and date for badge release before this PAX East. I think the days of the wild west are over. The show is just too popular.

    They did announce it for East, but the demand melted their server to the point they could not update the page. Personally, I would be surprised if they announced the date for Prime.

    0hy0sznvqw4d.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would be wildly shocked if they announce it for prime. The east announcement was a test run as far as I know.

  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Disc07 wrote: »
    Zurgetti wrote: »

    Same. I have the twitter notifier app on my computer, tweets from @Official_PAX set to go to my phone, the actual web page up and ready to be refreshed every few minutes, and my boyfriend and friend are on watch for them, too. Last year sounds too insane to risk doing things halfway.

    There are Chrome extensions to also notify you when a webpage changes, but honestly I like refreshing the old fashion way. You can also set up notifications for these forums to email you when someone posts on a conversation you are in. Which would be a safe thing to do as well to make sure that everyone knows the same time as the community once someone posts about it being live on here (or about any updates really) Hope the tips help :smile:

    A lot of page monitors don't work on the pax site, I think The rotating pictures and ads throw them off. I was using Page Monitor. Its useless.

    Also tickets usually go on sale while I'm in the middle of a test (I shit you not) and I've got two tests this week. Monday and Wednesday. So get your wallets ready

  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Shade wrote: »
    Disc07 wrote: »
    Zurgetti wrote: »

    Same. I have the twitter notifier app on my computer, tweets from @Official_PAX set to go to my phone, the actual web page up and ready to be refreshed every few minutes, and my boyfriend and friend are on watch for them, too. Last year sounds too insane to risk doing things halfway.

    There are Chrome extensions to also notify you when a webpage changes, but honestly I like refreshing the old fashion way. You can also set up notifications for these forums to email you when someone posts on a conversation you are in. Which would be a safe thing to do as well to make sure that everyone knows the same time as the community once someone posts about it being live on here (or about any updates really) Hope the tips help :smile:

    A lot of page monitors don't work on the pax site, I think The rotating pictures and ads throw them off. I was using Page Monitor. Its useless.

    Also tickets usually go on sale while I'm in the middle of a test (I shit you not) and I've got two tests this week. Monday and Wednesday. So get your wallets ready

    I have a yearly all-day customer meeting on Thursday. So, you're in the clear this time.

  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I would be wildly shocked if they announce it for prime. The east announcement was a test run as far as I know.

    Oh i c

  • Options
    JKwonJKwon Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    RavenHusky wrote: »
    PaxDabber wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume badges will NOT go on sale till next Friday? Getting so excited already. I've been lucky enough to get passes every year since 2008.

    Passes could go on sale any time after the website is updated.

    Have passes always gone on sale AFTER the website is updated? I can't remember in past years.

    PAX Prime 2010 [x]
    PAX Prime 2011 [x]
    PAX Prime 2012 [x]
    PAX Prime 2013 [x]
    PAX Prime 2014 [x]
    PAX Prime 2015 [x]

    https://pinnypals.com/pals/5Panel
  • Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    JKwon wrote: »
    RavenHusky wrote: »
    PaxDabber wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume badges will NOT go on sale till next Friday? Getting so excited already. I've been lucky enough to get passes every year since 2008.

    Passes could go on sale any time after the website is updated.
    Have passes always gone on sale AFTER the website is updated? I can't remember in past years.
    I don't know 2012 because a couple of my classmates told me about it, and 3-days were available for hours after the relaunch, but for 2013, the site updated with badge prices the day before they went on sale.

    tw787Xr.png


This discussion has been closed.