As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Outfit designer is out now. Playable Togruta coming on 3.3, late July.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    CZ-198 is absolutely the fastest daily. Black hole is pretty fast too, but Section X is actually pretty spread out. It only seems fast after a lot of repetition.

Edit: I only started doing GSI dailies one I wanted the reputation. And yeah they are pretty obnoxious. But the ones on Makeb, at least, are fairly easy to get done, once you understand what to look for.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Thanks guys! Do I need to sub or something to get to 55 and to do those?
    I'm moving in a couple weeks. I thought I would use my main to get dailies in for fast credits and unlocks. Then resub down the line once I'm settled.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    well, you won't be able to do makeb/CZ/oricon until 55; all the mobs there are 55 and you won't be able to hit them at 50. You can pile up basic comms by doing the older level 50 hubs though, and buy intro-level 55 gear with those when you get there. Whenever you resub you'll unlock hutt cartel for free and be able to do the new zones.

If you're not subbed you'll need to purchase authorizations for black hole and section X, but the per-character ones can usually be had on the GTN for not that many credits.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    What do you mean by, "Max out your companions?"

And once I max them out, does that give me a boost on my other characters cause of Legacy stuff?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I actually like the GSI dailies. Well, except for Alderaan, which just keeps getting the short end of the stick--not least because one of them, Big Red, seems to be bugged. Otherwise, though, they're quick amd there's basically no danger of your character actually getting hurt on the ones outside Makeb (unless you do the heroics--which are mostly soloable if you have any basic gear at all at 55). If you have a companion you don't use much who doesn't have the 1000 kills achievement yet, bring him out for those ones.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    What do you mean by, "Max out your companions?"

And once I max them out, does that give me a boost on my other characters cause of Legacy stuff?

Each companion has a series of quests / conversations. When you've completed that companion's storyline and achieved max affection with them, you get an unlock - a small Presence bonus and an improvement in Heroic Moment. The Heroic Moment bonus only happens once for each type of companion (e.g., you can get the Heroic Moment bonus 5 times: melee tank, ranged tank, melee dps, ranged dps, healer) but the Presence bonus can be unlocked 5 times per character class.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    In total, counting the bonus for getting a human character to level 50 and for completing every companion's conversation questline, you end up with +500 to your Presence.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    As your presence increases the first couple planets become super lulzy.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Oh hey, taking a look at today's patch notes.
    Addressed an issue that could cause a crash in certain Flashpoints, such as Esseles, Black Talon, Boarding Party, and The Foundry.
    About damn time.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I did unlock the human bonus. Are bonuses for unlocking the other races?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    The legacy unlock bonus for other races is being able to use them for any class.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited April 2014

No, you just get to play them as any class. Though some races also have class- or faction-specific stuff--Twi'leks have certain tattoos you can only get as an Imperial, e.g., but if you get to level 50 with one you can start a Republic character using those tattoos.

Weirdly, humans don't get this option, even though most classes have their own unique set of face tattoos for humans. I was quite disappointed when I started my Vanguard and found out I wasn't able to imply he was a traitor from the Imperial Guard by giving him Sith Warrior face tattoos (which some Imperial Guard characters in the game have).

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Ehh I've never been thrilled by the sith tattoos to be honest.

Troopers have some wicked tats though, I'm fond of them.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    One of the Sith tattoos was pretty much an exact replica of the tattoo I used on my human noble warden in DA:O.

So I went with that.

Then named him Wardiin.

Yup.

Got real creative there.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    One of the Sith tattoos was pretty much an exact replica of the tattoo I used on my human noble warden in DA:O.

So I went with that.

Then named him Wardiin.

Yup.

Got real creative there.

Now instead of fighting darkspawn, you are one.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I didn't want to pick it for the look, I wanted to pick it for character reasons.

If you want awesome tats, bounty hunters, man. There's one that I think is supposed to be a Krayt Dragon face tattooed over your own.

Agents, of course, have no tattoos.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

I didn't want to pick it for the look, I wanted to pick it for character reasons.

If you want awesome tats, bounty hunters, man. There's one that I think is supposed to be a Krayt Dragon face tattooed over your own.

Agents however have rad makeup.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

Still wish there was "Sith Tattoo" armor that was either no armor or minimal and had you covered in tats like Darth Talon in the Legacy comics.

Feels weird that my sith assassin twi'lek has head/face tattoos but none on her body.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    well, you won't be able to do makeb/CZ/oricon until 55; all the mobs there are 55 and you won't be able to hit them at 50. You can pile up basic comms by doing the older level 50 hubs though, and buy intro-level 55 gear with those when you get there. Whenever you resub you'll unlock hutt cartel for free and be able to do the new zones.

If you're not subbed you'll need to purchase authorizations for black hole and section X, but the per-character ones can usually be had on the GTN for not that many credits.
    You'll also get a set of basic gear for running the Oricon questline the first time

It might be hard to solo but if you group up with a bunch of people running the Oricon dailies you'll be done in no time

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fixer40000Fixer40000 Registered User regular

Nocren wrote: »

Still wish there was "Sith Tattoo" armor that was either no armor or minimal and had you covered in tats like Darth Talon in the Legacy comics.

Feels weird that my sith assassin twi'lek has head/face tattoos but none on her body.

Same for the Cathar and stripes. You can have a Tiger face but the body is all one colour, which completely ruins the look if you ever decided to put Kitty Commander Femshep in a golden slave bikini.

Not that I would... o:)

Have left PA forums.
    If this community believes that hating someone based soley upon their gender is acceptable and understandable, I have no interest in being a part of it.
  • Options
    A gear guide for those who just finished their class storylines or just made level 50 (it went a little long, because apparently I can't stop myself from rambling even in text):
    The best gear you can get with planetary commendations (that I've found) is from the Makeb modification vendors (one on the fleet and one at the Makeb quest hub), who sell modifications with a rating of 140 and which are usable at level 50. (Except for crystals, which for now top out at 136, and aren't purchasable from mod vendors anyway.) You might only be able to get these mods if you have the expansion, though if you've ever been subscribed you have access now. With these, you'll be more than prepared to deal with the level 50 daily areas (especially if you're thorough and gear your most-used companion with them, too): Belsavis, the Black Hole, Ilum, and Section X (though this one is not automatically available; you have to either be a subscriber or have purchased an unlock item from the cartel market, which typically goes for well above the preferred credit limit), which net you classic commendations.

Classic commendations can be used to purchase items (not mods, but new item models fully slotted in) with a rating of 146 (except, again, for crystals), usable at level 50. You don't really need these to handle Makeb and CZ-198 (I was even able to do Oricon's pre-daily storyline in 140s, though it was rough), but they are somewhat better than simple 140s, and come with bonuses for owning two or more of the armor set. If you like the set bonuses, you can pull out higher-level mods and slot them in (I think). Note that Section X provides both classic and basic commendations; I otherwise tend not to do the classic comm dailies with characters that have already done the story quests in that area, but I like to do Section X to get basic comms for myself and stockpile classic comms so I can upgrade my companion from the 140s they're usually running in.

In doing the Oricon storyline quests, you'll be given a partial set of 156 gear--specifically, head, torso, legs, feet, and hands.

Basic commendations, which you get for doing the Makeb and Oricon storylines and the level 55 daily quests, as well as a handful of weekly level 50 quests, will allow you to purchase 162 armor, implants, relics, and earpieces, and 156 legacy-bound weapons (allowing you to shuttle high-level bound weapon mods your character can't use to your alternate characters). What I like to do is save up all my basic comms from dailies and the Makeb storyline and not even start Oricon until I have 160 basic comms; then I buy the 162 belt and bracers and head for that hellworld.

Elite commendations are granted by doing weekly level 55 quests and by defeating bosses in level 55 flashpoints and operations. Elite comms allow you to purchase 168 armor, implants, relics, and earpieces, and 162 legacy-bound weapons.

Ultimate commendations are, as the name implies, the current currency for getting the best purchasable gear in the game. You can only get them from completing level 55 operations and weekly quests related to same. Ultimate gear is rated at 180. 180-rated weapons are currently not purchasable with ultimate commendations; these are sold by a different vendor on the fleet and are bought with a separate class of item which I presume is a drop from operation bosses.

There are other ways to get such gear beyond stockpiling commendations. Probably the simplest is to buy the mods from the cartel market--apparently they're craftable, so that's also an option, though I have no idea how (presumably, again, the schematics drop from operations enemies). From prices I've seen, this would easily run into the tens of millions to outfit a single character, with individual 180-level mods ranging between 2 and 3 million credits each (so roughly 6 to 12 million credits to upgrade just your weapon or just your chestpiece, e.g.). So: simple, but not necessarily practical, and that's if you're a subscriber.

• Options
    Can I get a link to that gearing info in the OP?

And level 140 gear at Oricon is barely adequate; the Corrupted Bothrium Beast (pre-dailies) just smashed me into the ground. Of course, it's been about 5 months since I played this class so I didn't remember where my interrupts were, which didn't help...but still.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Oricon dailies are pretty rough for a fresh 55. Worth it, but rough.

I wouldn't try the Heroic-2 as a new 55 without a group. The champions can be rough to solo in mostly 168 gear depending on which ones you pull.

• Options
    That wasn't even a Heroic-2; that was just part of the basic quest, nominally single-player capable!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Yet another reason you should be on Jedi Covenant, Orca. Just last week I grouped with 3 guildies on separate occasions to get them through Oricon story (and thus get them a basic level of gear). I wouldn't mind at all doing that with you; it's great for credits (by doing the dailies along side the other person's story missions) and momma always needs dem credits.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

By a link, do you mean you want me to copy/past Shadowen's post to the OP?

• Options
    KassKass Registered User regular
    Yah, Cambiata was nice enough to help me get my two fresh 55's through the Oricron dailies the past two weeks. Getting that starting set of gear definitely made life easier in terms of doing dailies, running HM FPs, so on and so forth.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Either that, or just dropping a link. Either way, that's good info I'll be needing as I level my other characters up.

And my bitching about naming a few days ago? That was because I shifted my main to Covenant.

K-iara (Republic) and Lissea (Empire). I might shift over my 36-ish Trooper too at some point.

• Options

Either that, or just dropping a link. Either way, that's good info I'll be needing as I level my other characters up.

And my bitching about naming a few days ago? That was because I shifted my main to Covenant.

K-iara (Republic) and Lissea (Empire). I might shift over my 36-ish Trooper too at some point.

Sweet, I'll friend you. I'll invite K-iara to the guild next time you're on. My republic characters are Sofia, Ruthi, Gone, Cömmander, and Archiban. I also have Friendlyfire on the imp side. Just send me a tell if you want to run an FP or do a daily with some support, as long as I'm not already in something, I'll be down for it.

• Options
    Cool beans. Been spending most of my time on my 20ish Agent, but given how shitty the seller's market is for Bioanalysis mats, I'm probably going to need to start running those dailies for cash money.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Bummer, I ended up just biting the bullet and subbing. Those free CC for may 4th got me. However, I do not have a free character tansfer. I've got to decide on where I play. On one hand I have a level 51 on a server but no one to play with. On the other hand you guys are on JC and it looks like leveling is super easy now. I also like my character's name better on JC than the one I was forced to take after loosing the name I got the first day of prelaunch. (still so pissed)

EDIT: I should also add that my gear from Ops before I quit is basically worthless and easily replaced so that's not really keeping me on shadowlands.

EDIT2: Shit and double exp this weekend means that, if I can fit it in, I should be able to plow through some levels. I think I keep making my decision.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    I updated the op to include @Shadowen 's gear rundown. Thanks for writing that up, @Shadowen !

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    @‌shadowen the crafted artifact level-78 mods you see on the GTN are all reverse engineered from mods ripped from ultimate comm gear and hard mode Fortress/Palace drops. They take something like 2 MMGs, 8 Isotope-5s, a bunch of EEEs, and regular materials, hence the 2-5 million credit costs.

Mostly they're used by people min-maxing their gear since it's much faster to buy a particular mod than grind comms or win drops. They're not really efficient at all for someone gearing up from scratch.

on a related note I hadn't logged on since before the patch when they made 78s craftable. Hopped on last night and pulled out a pile of 78 head-slot reflex armorings I'd kept in the cargo hold for six months.

Reverse engineered the schematic on the first try

Checked the GTN, only one listed at 4 million

Queued one up for shits & giggles

Crit success on the first try

Everything's coming up Millhouse

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Is there a guild I can hop in on JC? Any chance there's people on TS or Vent?

• Options
    Is there a guild I can hop in on JC? Any chance there's people on TS or Vent?

If you're republic side, I can invite you to my guild, Dominius Nihil. You will need to sign up at the forums: http://www.dominusnihil.com/forums

I won't be online for another couple of hours though, but when I am you can whisper me on Sofia, Ruthi, Gone, Cömmander or Archiban, depending on which I'm on. I'll most likely be on Sofia or Ruthi.

• Options
    @ ‌shadowen the crafted artifact level-78 mods you see on the GTN are all reverse engineered from mods ripped from ultimate comm gear and hard mode Fortress/Palace drops. They take something like 2 MMGs, 8 Isotope-5s, a bunch of EEEs, and regular materials, hence the 2-5 million credit costs.

Mostly they're used by people min-maxing their gear since it's much faster to buy a particular mod than grind comms or win drops. They're not really efficient at all for someone gearing up from scratch.

The stuff that most people need to have crafted is: 1) main hand hilts and barrels and 2) top level relics. This is because neither item can be bought with comms, both only come as a token drop during a hard mode.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    @ ‌shadowen the crafted artifact level-78 mods you see on the GTN are all reverse engineered from mods ripped from ultimate comm gear and hard mode Fortress/Palace drops. They take something like 2 MMGs, 8 Isotope-5s, a bunch of EEEs, and regular materials, hence the 2-5 million credit costs.

The stuff that most people need to have crafted is: 1) main hand hilts and barrels and 2) top level relics. This is because neither item can be bought with comms, both only come as a token drop during a hard mode.

Yeah those are always the highest demand, but there's a decent market for unlettered mods and low-endurance enhancements since depending on your class & spec they might only appear on one or two pieces of token gear or an expensive piece of commendation gear.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    kmzkmz Registered User regular
    Good enhancements are pretty much only from ops drops unless you're a healer in which case you can keep getting Foestopper pants for Quick Savant (low end/Alac/Power).

• Options
    Yeah I forgot about that. Especially for tanks, enhancements are incredibly difficult to come by. I mean at least DPS can get enhancements from comms that have the correct stats on them, and they don't have to make do with crit and alacrity on everything. Tanks get absorb and shield only, and fuck you if you need defense unless you can get in a hard mode op. Luckly I got in enough of them to get my tank up to spec enough that I can do without crafting (though I could still use the better enhancements that come from tokens)

• Options
    There's also the fact that, in my experience, the comm gear you buy from vendors has some baffling stat choices.

For example, the gear for Assassin tanks includes alacrity. I mean, if you don't put three points into Blood of Sith, fine, but who goes up the Darkness tree and doesn't do that? If you max out alacrity you get a barely-noticeable reduction of global cooldown but your shield and absorption ratings would be shit, and there are a grand total of two spells you might use as a tank that have casting time, and only one of those has any likelihood.

So if you're making enough money to just buy the damn mods directly, might as well do it and save your comms from having to buy multiple things just to rip the mods out and slot in the better choice.