As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Outfit designer is out now. Playable Togruta coming on 3.3, late July.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Started JK and I just can't do it. I want to play a dark Jedi, but T7 always makes me feel guilty, and playing light Jedi is so boring. :(

Maybe I will just level up another IA, they are always fun no matter what you choose. :D

use HK or Treek? HK always enjoys the PC being a complete asshole.

I actually don't have HK or Treek.

How do I get HK?

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    You have to be 50+ to get HK (starts in Section X on Belsavis)

Treek is great, though, and can be picked up at level 10. If you have the funbucks, look for Mercenary Contract on the Cartel Market. Or, search for it on the GTN (can be pricey, and impossible if you aren't a subscriber because of the cost) but make sure you get the one that DOESN'T say requires legacy level 40 on it.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    isn't the 50+ for HK only for the initial acquisition, after which you can credits/funbux purchase him via character-specific legacy unlock?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Yeah, 350CC or 1M spacebucks after the first unlock.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Update: going solo, as a tank Powertech the Voss kingpin is a joke and the Tatooine kingpin is completely doable as an Immortal Juggernaut. (I lost once, but only because I got smacked with lag.)

Gear on both was 192 armor, 186 mainhand, 190 offhand, implants, and earpiece, relics sub-186. Used Treek in 192s for companion.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Speaking of HK, I'm trying to get him for the first time, and I have all the parts except the ones that are in flashpoints

Of course, nobody plays Flashpoints apparently, so I guess I'm SoL

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    Speaking of HK, I'm trying to get him for the first time, and I have all the parts except the ones that are in flashpoints

Of course, nobody plays Flashpoints apparently, so I guess I'm SoL

What level is the character you're doing this with? Because at 60 even hard mode 50s are a breeze.

• Options

So not that far I guess

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Yeah, the two you need to do for the parts are easy enough that in even beginner endgame gear you'll stomp all over them.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    fyi, the Bad Feeling Podcast (nice podcast, and necomer friendly too ... you should check it out if you haven't already) had a talk with some official people about PvP.
    Either listen to the podcast, or read a summary here.
    But you should listen to the podcast.

• Options
    So I started the HK get quest last night and finished it up today. He's pretty cool companion. I started a JK and got him immediately... but none of his gear works because it's all lvl 50! :(

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    By level 24 or so, you should be able to get him a full set of orange droid gear from the commendation equipment vendors that you can keep up to date with commendation modifications. Fortunately, even without any gear on, HK is a murder machine at low level.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Hey did they ever fix the Ebon Hawk crash bug or do I still need to alt-tab for the final cutscene?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Hey did they ever fix the Ebon Hawk crash bug or do I still need to alt-tab for the final cutscene?

Are you talking about Esseless? They finally fixed that one, alt tabbing no longer required.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Esseless, you mean? I don't think so. I was getting it as recently as 6 months ago, but I think I did something that ended up making it not crash. Full-screen windowed, maybe?

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Are you talking about Esseless? They finally fixed that one, alt tabbing no longer required.

Yes, curse my feeble memory.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Esseless, you mean? I don't think so. I was getting it as recently as 6 months ago, but I think I did something that ended up making it not crash. Full-screen windowed, maybe?

They've fixed it since 6 months ago. It was a fairly recent fix.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    What are the chances we would both be reading this thread at the same time?

...okay, I guess pretty high.

I'm glad they actually made an effort to fix an old bug. I'm pretty sure that Makeb "kill the tree-things while they're on fire" achievement has never worked to begin with.

• Options
    By level 24 or so, you should be able to get him a full set of orange droid gear from the commendation equipment vendors that you can keep up to date with commendation modifications. Fortunately, even without any gear on, HK is a murder machine at low level.

Assassinate... man, I want that ability on my Sniper. Why can't I have that?!

Steam
  • Options

Yes, curse my feeble memory.

It was the same crash in both BT and Essless.

Also happened in hardmode boarding party and one of the operations cutscenes, as well.

All were the same bug, and all were fixed at the same time, so you're good.

• Options
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Assassinate... man, I want that ability on my Sniper. Why can't I have that?!

I'd settle for Terminate. First time I played a Sniper I expected that. "Any level now...any level..."

• Options
    This goddamn outfit designer is addicting..

I have 6 outfits for my Jedi Knight, 5 for my Inquisitor, 5 for my Smug, and I keep coming up with more that I want to do

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    This goddamn outfit designer is addicting..

I have 6 outfits for my Jedi Knight, 5 for my Inquisitor, 5 for my Smug, and I keep coming up with more that I want to do

AS IT SHOULD BE

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm actually looking for a particular set for my warrior but I can't find it. Basically, it's one of the hallmark looks, with the long robe and the small metal shoulders, with the kind of robot looking inner tunic and pants, but without the hood pulled up.

• Options
    <3 the costume system.

So glad I saved some of my favorite (non-orange) outfits on a few of my characters. I didn't *know* that this would eventually happen, but I always hoped. And I never gave up that hope.

• Options
    And of course it goes without saying, but appearance gear progression and "I need to be able to tell peoples gear for peeveepee" people can fuck off.

They can fuck right off.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I've been doing progression raiding for a while, and I even did some serious pvp at one time. I've never seen the attitude among SWTOR players that the appearance part of progression gear ever meant anything. Even before there were many choices in what you could wear for gear, when oranges were sparse and ugly, and there was no adaptive gear, people were doing things like wearing pvp shells into pve raids (that was to get the gear bonuses carried in those shells, but still). As soon as a wide variety of gear choices were available, people came up with outlandish, beautiful, and/or fashionable gear to wear in raids. When someone in a progression raid cares about your gear, what they do is inspect you to see what mods you have, they couldn't care less what you look like.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    I think it's probably because this is a Star Wars game, so people go into it already having an idea of how their bounty hunter or jedi should look. Plus the fact that much of the progression gear is hideous.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I think it's probably because this is a Star Wars game, so people go into it already having an idea of how their bounty hunter or jedi should look. Plus the fact that much of the progression gear is hideous.

Yeah, I wouldn't have had a problem if the customizability had been limited to class-appropriate stuff even! I'm Ok with jedi having to look like jedi and troopers having to look like troopers. But if I get a new piece of gear and I want to stay with a brown hood-down robe instead of a gray hood-up robe I aint hurting anyone :-p

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    It's been a long time since I've done any kind of competitive pvp, but in my experience, knowing the players gear wasn't that important, because the community of high-end players was usually small enough that you should know the names and playstyles of most of the opposing faction. Granted, this is based on playing WoW back before cross-server matches were implemented so maybe it's different. Does SWTOR still do single server pvp?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Veagle wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I've done any kind of competitive pvp, but in my experience, knowing the players gear wasn't that important, because the community of high-end players was usually small enough that you should know the names and playstyles of most of the opposing faction. Granted, this is based on playing WoW back before cross-server matches were implemented so maybe it's different. Does SWTOR still do single server pvp?

When you regularly pvp, you'll often recognize the names of the better players and guilds. At the end of the match you'll see the stats as well. And there are people who will examine the gear of people they don't recognize or who's health seems suspiciously low or high. Not since launch has anyone called someone out because their gear looked wrong from the outside.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Outlines in pvp has never mattered because there are huge-ass symbols over people's heads of their classes, and they move around like cracked-up rabbits due to stuff like dashes and leaps enough that it's not like you'd get a real detailed look at their armor during combat. You're already getting as much information as you're gonna get from the UI.

It's just not an issue.

• Options
    The best thing about a dark side consular is doing something ridiculously evil and then when everyone goes "WTF?!?" you respond with a jedi platitude.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    The best thing about a dark side consular is doing something ridiculously evil and then when everyone goes "WTF?!?" you respond with a jedi platitude.

I honestly can't even imagine Dark Side Consular, at least girl Consular.

Her voice is just SO DAMN SERENE.

Also I finished the 1-50 Sith Warrior Story. Light Side.

Chapter 1 and 2 are really, REALLY FANTASTICALLY good as a Light Side Sith Warrior.

The Prologue is ROUGH as hell Light Side, since you really can't justify or even logically explain some of the nonsensical LS choices available, and Chapter 3 is so grimdark evilbad Bruce Wayne's parent's died, and the last Light-Side Choice
    Involves sparing Darth Baras, with no neutral kill options. The dude is literally Dark Council powerful and has spies LITERALLY everywhere devoted to him nope you can totally put him in jail or banish him to a backwater there's no chance he'll ever come back AAAHAHAHA....right....

Overall, I enjoyed Light Side Sith Warrior, and Chapter 1 and 2(and one specific part in chapter 3) that are primo tip top amazing top of the line Bioware storytelling.

But Dark Side is how it's meant to be played and is better overall.

• Options
    I like LS Sith Warrior but I really have no interest in playing a DS sith. Bad guy sith are just any old mustache twirling SW villain.

• Options
    I like LS Sith Warrior but I really have no interest in playing a DS sith. Bad guy sith are just any old mustache twirling SW villain.

Yeah, this is my thinking as well.

Bioware honestly did a fantastic job writing stories that you can easily go Light Side or Dark Side, or just plain neutral.

But Consular Act 1 and Sith Warrior Act 3 are kind of hard-coded Light Side and Dark side, respectivly. As in, like, they don't make(or barely make) any sense if you're going Dark Side or Light Side.

Spoilers(specifically for Act 3 Sith Warrior)
    A Light Side Sith Warrior(in my mind at least) would never serve as the Emperor's Wrath, and a Dark Side Consular would just give a big middle finger to the whole self-sacrifice ability.

The actual Light Side and Dark Side choices are literally NOT in the game. You HAVE to serve as the Emperor's Wrath, and you HAVE to gain self-sacrifice light ability(even though you can choose not to use it ever).

Unlike, say, Jedi Knight, who's Light Side and Dark Side choices pretty easily fit in the overall story, to where you could argue that "either" choice is the "canon" run of the character.

Like, I was REALLY digging my Light Side Warrior run until that happend. There is NO FUCKIN WAY, after surviving Baras the Hand of the Emperor would even CHOOSE my Light Side Super good guy, totally emotionally collected Warrior.

Yes, that character would go after Baras for the good of the empire, but I would have, at the very least, appreciated a shaky "You're gonna do what we want to do anyways, so lets help each other" approach then being just straight up named a tool of the Emperor, the literal personification of evil.

• Options
    Also all of this makes me want to talk about my dream "canon" class alignments for some reason.

Jedi Knight: Sentinel: Neutral then Falls Dark Side.

Jedi Consular: Sage: Light-Side.

Smuggler: Smugglin spec: Neutral bordering Light

Trooper: Vanguard: Light

Sith Warrior: Juggernaught: Dark Side

Sith Inquisitor: Dual-Bladed Saber spec: neutral for prologue, Light Side after.

Bounty Hunter: TWO GUNS: Neutral leanin towards CREDITS.

Imperial Agent: Sniper: ?????

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    But mustache-twirlingly evil is so satisfying the way they have done it! I'm murdering my way across the galaxy as a Bounty Hunter and it is hilarious!

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Going against the grain on storylines would be much better if the game didn't point it out every single time. Trying to make dark side decisions on Tython, for instance, is a total farce. They do a much better job with non force-using classes. But if you're a dark side jedi, there's no good reason that you move up the ranks the way you do, and for light side warriors, they have to do some real narrative gynmastics to explain why Baras doesn't just wipe you out and start over by the end of the first chapter

• Options

Yeah, this is my thinking as well.

Bioware honestly did a fantastic job writing stories that you can easily go Light Side or Dark Side, or just plain neutral.

But Consular Act 1 and Sith Warrior Act 3 are kind of hard-coded Light Side and Dark side, respectivly. As in, like, they don't make(or barely make) any sense if you're going Dark Side or Light Side.

Spoilers(specifically for Act 3 Sith Warrior)
    A Light Side Sith Warrior(in my mind at least) would never serve as the Emperor's Wrath, and a Dark Side Consular would just give a big middle finger to the whole self-sacrifice ability.

The actual Light Side and Dark Side choices are literally NOT in the game. You HAVE to serve as the Emperor's Wrath, and you HAVE to gain self-sacrifice light ability(even though you can choose not to use it ever).

Unlike, say, Jedi Knight, who's Light Side and Dark Side choices pretty easily fit in the overall story, to where you could argue that "either" choice is the "canon" run of the character.

Like, I was REALLY digging my Light Side Warrior run until that happend. There is NO FUCKIN WAY, after surviving Baras the Hand of the Emperor would even CHOOSE my Light Side Super good guy, totally emotionally collected Warrior.

Yes, that character would go after Baras for the good of the empire, but I would have, at the very least, appreciated a shaky "You're gonna do what we want to do anyways, so lets help each other" approach then being just straight up named a tool of the Emperor, the literal personification of evil.

Disagree on the Warrior.
    A light-sided Warrior is trying to change the Empire from the inside out, with help from Jaesa. How better than by assuming a position of power that is equivalent, maybe superior, to a Dark Councillor?

A Warrior, not knowing about the Emperor's omnicidal plans (it's plain they don't even suspect it until Shadow of Revan's story mission, and it's not confirmed for anyone but the Jedi Knight until the end of Rishi), can even talk with the Emperor on Voss and behave as though they believe the Emperor intends to end the war with a peaceful resolution, and that they, the Wrath, can even convince them to call off the war entirely. After all, he pushed for the Treaty of Coruscant, didn't he? The Emperor would do what was best for the Empire, if only so he could remain in power over the strongest Empire possible, wouldn't he?

You can call that naive, but it's still an option.

And the Emperor would love to use a light-sider as his Wrath. He's evil. The potential for corrupting a light-side Sith would be too delicious to pass up. Remember the end of chapter 2/start of chapter 3 for the Jedi Knight? In the meantime, here is someone who has all the motivation in the galaxy to take down Darth Baras and incredible power in the Force.

As for the Hand, they do what the Emperor wants, end of story.
    Also all of this makes me want to talk about my dream "canon" class alignments for some reason.

Jedi Knight: Sentinel: Neutral then Falls Dark Side.

Jedi Consular: Sage: Light-Side.

Smuggler: Smugglin spec: Neutral bordering Light

Trooper: Vanguard: Light

Sith Warrior: Juggernaught: Dark Side

Sith Inquisitor: Dual-Bladed Saber spec: neutral for prologue, Light Side after.

Bounty Hunter: TWO GUNS: Neutral leanin towards CREDITS.

Imperial Agent: Sniper: ?????

Trying to be vague on story developments.

Knight: Combat Sentinel. Starts light, starts to fall dark after chapter 2, pulls it out at the end and into expansion content. Light III or IV.

Consular: Cathar Serenity Shadow. Has an element of hypocrisy in how she treats Sith and Jedi vs. how she treats people who aren't Force-sensitive until about midway through chapter 2 (i.e. allows the deaths of or executes non-Force-sensitives who are bad guys, but allows dark-side Force-users to live and find redemption), at which point she comes up with a more consistent philosophy. Light IV or V.

Smuggler: Twi'lek Sawbones Scoundrel. Follows her whims, her money, and her conscience, in roughly that order. Has a temper, doesn't hold a grudge unless you make her. Doesn't like to hurt people, but is still a heartbreaker. Light I or II.

Trooper: Human cyborg Assault Specialist Commando. Generally follows orders, except when they're flagrantly illegal, while occasionally murdering really bad people who pissed her off; picks up a "saving people thing" about midway through Chapter 3. Ends up around Light III.

Warrior: Sithblooded human Immortal Juggernaut. Struggles with alignment through the end of chapter 1, but with support ends up IV or V by the end.

Inquisitor: Human Corruption Sorcerer. Does what she thinks is best in the moment, doesn't concern herself with questions of morality, is determined to never be anyone's slave again. Starting to codify a standard of behavior for people who are neither dark nor light--what she calls "edge walking". Neutral.

Hunter: Human cyborg Powertech. Long-lost sister of Trooper; sort of her flip side. Is a professional: does the job, gets paid. Is not an assassin; kill-only contracts are not accepted. Soft spot for family issues. Light I or II.

Agent: Chiss Concealment Operative. Admires the Empire, hates Sith, indifferent towards Republic, begrudging respect for Jedi ("if the Sith were more like the Jedi, that's my ideal Empire"). Follows orders if he has to, innovates if he can, not afraid to die in service of the Empire, considers the best outcome to be if no one knows if he was even there until he's gone. Light II or III.

That's right. I found most dark-side choices so stupid, counter-intuitive, or repellent that starting from a position of neutral, I still didn't create a single dark side "canon" character.