As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Outfit designer is out now. Playable Togruta coming on 3.3, late July.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Any Empire guilds on JC? The OP only has info on the Republic guild.

Well, the DN guild has an empire mirror, but your main has to be on the pub side to be invited to the imp guild. I also have an old abandoned guild on one of my toons if you want to get invited there, but it's not very active.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I have a Trooper on JC, Grifash, that's in DN. Would that work?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I have a Trooper on JC, Grifash, that's in DN. Would that work?

Yep, if that trooper is still in the guild. Let me know when you want to add your toons to the imp guild and i'll switch over and invite.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Logging on now. Look for Cristsa.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Whew. The pieces of the mandalorian hunter armor set (an armor set I've been hoping shows up on the cartel since the cartel first came into being) finally showed up on the exchange. Expensive as hell, but I spent just under 3 million to put it together.

However, I have been sitting on a full unbound set of energized infantry armor for a long time, it's several packs older than the mando set.

If it sells for the exorbitant prices I'm listing it for I will more than make my money back, even accounting for the fact that the infantry set is a 6 piece set.

-edit-

This is my punishment for being away from the game for too long, the one armor set I really want comes onto the market and I miss it when it's cheap.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    I don't know why it took them so long to put that armor into the game for players anyway, it's the same armor that the mandalorian npcs on Tatooine wear. It's just a nice clean set of light blue/white mando armor with a grey undersuit, no battlescarring, no butt flaps, no fucking huge retarded backpacks.

Not nearly enough armor like that in the game. Most of it is too derpy for my taste.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Well I just finished Smuggler Chapter 3. Loved it. It's the first story I've ever completed in this game.

Seriously, the 12x XP is a God send for this game. I played super casually for a week; finished the story, hit level 51, so good.

Gonna switch it up and start on my Sith Warrior now, but in regards to the Smuggler, what should I do next?

I saw a mission for Ilum as well as the mission to begin the Hutt Cartel. Definitely gonna keep playing him, but I'm curious as to how long the Hutt stuff is and if it's any good.

Regardless, loving the game and I'm excited to begin my new character.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Hurt cartel stuff is faster to hit 55 when. The good stuff really starts

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Ignore Ilum. The rewards are crap and it's filled with annoying enemy mechanics. Start the Hutt stuff and hit the GSI uplink on the space station so you'll get a bolster to 156 gear level, meaning you don't have to worry about upgrading at all until 55.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say completely ignore ilum, maybe rush through the planet questline for the sake of seeing why there's flashpoints to go beat up Malgus.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Illum doesn't take that long to finish if you just stick to the storyline. Plus it and the pair of FPs connected to it are story-relevant.

• Options
    Yeah but you can do those at 60, when it's much less annoying to deal with silly enemy mechanics.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    If @Grove has gotten to the Hutt Cartel stuff before, then I'll say 'ok, skip Ilum'. If his Smuggler's his first ever character however, I say it's better to go through Ilum first. Ilum's 'enemy mechanics' aren't that silly and if push comes to shove, he can get a guildmate or a friend to help him rush through it. I'd certainly suggest getting guild/friend-help to do the two FPs connected to it if just so you don't risk getting players who just wanna blow past the bosses without fighting them or yell 'SPACEBAR' every five minutes.

Owenashi on
  • Options
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Right, I always undercut by at least 10k.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    People who undercut by 1 credit are the biggest douchebages.

Hi!

• Options
    Here's the thing: I don't want to move the market price down. If anything, I want it moved up. That can't happen if we get in a price war (which I've seen repeatedly, and is why I dropped out of the gathering mats business).

So instead I'm going to go down to the nearest thing that lets me end in 99, because if it works for all those darn stores out there, maybe it'll work for me.

• Options
    And this is why you always undercut by 2 credits guys. Don't be the 1 credit undercutter.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Here's the thing: I don't want to move the market price down. If anything, I want it moved up. That can't happen if we get in a price war (which I've seen repeatedly, and is why I dropped out of the gathering mats business).

So instead I'm going to go down to the nearest thing that lets me end in 99, because if it works for all those darn stores out there, maybe it'll work for me.

If you're not willing to offer a better price you have no business shoving someone else out of the way to take their place in line.

Also when I am purchasing stuff I will buy the even priced item over the 199999999999 item.

If someone undercut by 1% or something, great I'll buy the cheapest one available dats cool. But 1 credit undercutters can burn.

• Options
    Orca when you were selling mats did you buy large stacks of stuff and split them all into singles and re-list them with a 500% mark-up?

I'm just trying to determine what therapy is best to treat your condition.

• Options

If you're not willing to offer a better price you have no business shoving someone else out of the way to take their place in line.

Also when I am purchasing stuff I will buy the even priced item over the 199999999999 item.

If someone undercut by 1% or something, great I'll buy the cheapest one available dats cool. But 1 credit undercutters can burn.

It's just business. I used to do (and care) as you do, but it's not exactly underhanded. A more underhanded thing to do is buying up all of a material to re-list for an extortionate price (you can get away with this sometimes...if the material isn't being replenished quickly enough. Usually you'll just end up with a pile of extra crap you can't sell though. So it sort of evens out).
    Orca when you were selling mats did you buy large stacks of stuff and split them all into singles and re-list them with a 500% mark-up?

Nah, that sort of thing doesn't work. People only care about the bottom line, and nothing takes just one mat. What does work (sometimes) is splitting it up into smaller groupings that are an even multiple of the number of mats needed to make a component. You can't charge more for it, but you can pick up business from the folks that just need to make a one-off and don't need a stack of 99.

Do you flood the market for an item by dumping 100 stacks on GTN priced far below everybody else? Because those people should burn.

• Options

It's just business. I used to do (and care) as you do, but it's not exactly underhanded. A more underhanded thing to do is buying up all of a material to re-list for an extortionate price (you can get away with this sometimes...if the material isn't being replenished quickly enough. Usually you'll just end up with a pile of extra crap you can't sell though. So it sort of evens out).

Nah, that sort of thing doesn't work. People only care about the bottom line, and nothing takes just one mat. What does work (sometimes) is splitting it up into smaller groupings that are an even multiple of the number of mats needed to make a component. You can't charge more for it, but you can pick up business from the folks that just need to make a one-off and don't need a stack of 99.

Do you flood the market for an item by dumping 100 stacks on GTN priced far below everybody else? Because those people should burn.

When I undercut I undercut by enough that it's not insulting, I'm willing to accept a lower price for what I'm selling. Not taking the same price but just sleezing my way in front of people who were already trying to sell their stuff.

• Options
    edited June 2015

When I undercut I undercut by enough that it's not insulting, I'm willing to accept a lower price for what I'm selling. Not taking the same price but just sleezing my way in front of people who were already trying to sell their stuff.

When you re-list you can do the same thing. The listing fee keeps us from cancelling and going back and forth in 1 credit increments; instead, each round takes 2 days, or as long as it takes for your stuff to sell. Whichever comes first. And usually that's plenty long enough or the price was too high.

I have seen pricing wars result in materials dropping below the cost of vendoring the item. At that point I just bought up everything at or below vendor sale price and made a couple extra credits...but it's bloody stupid when it gets to that point.

Orca on
  • Options

When you re-list you can do the same thing. The listing fee keeps us from cancelling and going back and forth in 1 credit increments; instead, each round takes 2 days, or as long as it takes for your stuff to sell. Whichever comes first. And usually that's plenty long enough or the price was too high.

I have seen pricing wars result in materials dropping below the cost of vendoring the item. At that point I just bought up everything at or below vendor sale price and made a couple extra credits...but it's bloody stupid when it gets to that point.

Unfortunately the teeny-tiny credit listing cost of cartel market items encourages people to re-list and undercut by ridiculous amounts like 1 credit increments for those items.

With other stuff, I completely agree, the listing fee is there to discourage that and it works.

• Options
    The other thing that drives me nuts is the people who just want to injure other people daring to try to make a dime off crafting, or who have no creativity or forethought whatsoever and so must copy what others do.

I usually don't bother to craft gear for myself, even though I can. I'll just buy stuff as I need it as long as I'm not being gouged. But then I'll frequently encounter a situation where no one is bothering to sell nice implants or earpieces with the primary stat I need for the leveling levels I'm at.

So I have to craft it myself, and I do, and while I'm at it I say "Hey, I'll craft some extra and throw them up on the empty market, make some scratch and be nice at the same time".

A few hours after I list my stuff suddenly that level and stat is flooded with the same thing I just made, all undercutting.

I swear to god crafters just watch the market so they can attack other crafters who dare to try and sell things. If they gave a fuck about making money and keeping items on the market I NEVER WOULD HAVE EVEN LOGGED IN MY CRAFTER. They only craft in response to someone else crafting.

And I seriously hope those people get super aids and die alone.

• Options
    You might want to take a break from the game there Regina. I'm worried about your stress levels.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Grove wrote: »
    You might want to take a break from the game there Regina. I'm worried about your stress levels.

That's a bit condescending don't you think? If I want to gripe about stuff I'm allowed to gripe.

And I rather doubt your "concern" is at all genuine.

(and if my posts bother you, use your ignore button, it's there.)

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    The other thing that drives me nuts is the people who just want to injure other people daring to try to make a dime off crafting, or who have no creativity or forethought whatsoever and so must copy what others do.

I usually don't bother to craft gear for myself, even though I can. I'll just buy stuff as I need it as long as I'm not being gouged. But then I'll frequently encounter a situation where no one is bothering to sell nice implants or earpieces with the primary stat I need for the leveling levels I'm at.

So I have to craft it myself, and I do, and while I'm at it I say "Hey, I'll craft some extra and throw them up on the empty market, make some scratch and be nice at the same time".

A few hours after I list my stuff suddenly that level and stat is flooded with the same thing I just made, all undercutting.

I swear to god crafters just watch the market so they can attack other crafters who dare to try and sell things. If they gave a fuck about making money and keeping items on the market I NEVER WOULD HAVE EVEN LOGGED IN MY CRAFTER. They only craft in response to someone else crafting.

It's okay, it's not just for crafting. Markets like SWToR's are driven by people who don't really understand basic economics.

Most people go, "HEY, someone is selling that thing I have! I want to sell too and I have a BUNCH of it but I want to do it fast!"

So the list 98 different listings at half the price of what you have been posting, which have been steadily selling at your price.

Then someone see that and says, "HEY I WANT TO UNLOAD THE THING" and posted almost the same inflated number for even less, essentially killing the market.

But that isn't even as bad as the perfect shitstorm.

"MAN I GOT ALOT OF THE THING AND NONE IS ON THE AUCTIONS, IM GONNA POST 18 OF THEM FOR 500K EACH, THERE ARE NO FLAWS IN THIS PLAN".

• Options

I wasn't being condescending, just having a touch of light hearted and good natured fun after a post where you say undercutters should die alone. Obviously you don't mean that because that's a ridiculous thing to think as is believing I'm being condescending or actually concerned.

However, your response is so extreme to a) a harmless post and b) an issue allowed within game, I think I'll take you up on your offer.

• Options

That's a bit condescending don't you think? If I want to gripe about stuff I'm allowed to gripe.

And I rather doubt your "concern" is at all genuine.

(and if my posts bother you, use your ignore button, it's there.)

You're allowed to gripe (we all do!), and Grove is allowed to say "might wanna think about chilling out".

Speaking of griping: people that list single or small stack items for the price of the full stack, hoping you'll miss-click or not read that it's the sale price rather than the per-item price. People that add an extra 3 random digits, hoping you won't see that it's not a fraction of a cred, it's a full 3 orders of magnitude! The latter was big for awhile, but it seems to have died down in the last 6 months.

• Options
    edited June 2015

It's okay, it's not just for crafting. Markets like SWToR's are driven by people who don't really understand basic economics.

Most people go, "HEY, someone is selling that thing I have! I want to sell too and I have a BUNCH of it but I want to do it fast!"

So the list 98 different listings at half the price of what you have been posting, which have been steadily selling at your price.

Then someone see that and says, "HEY I WANT TO UNLOAD THE THING" and posted almost the same inflated number for even less, essentially killing the market.

"MAN I GOT ALOT OF THE THING AND NONE IS ON THE AUCTIONS, IM GONNA POST 18 OF THEM FOR 500K EACH, THERE ARE NO FLAWS IN THIS PLAN".

Those are just aspirational prices. Maybe someone will go ahead and grab one, if you're the only vendor.

If you're not, I don't understand this plan and maybe they're hoping for a mis-click.

And sometimes, they actually sell. At one point I sold a shitload of red goo for no less than 600K/stack of 99. I couldn't believe people were willing to pay that price! It was absurd!

Orca on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

Those are just aspirational prices. Maybe someone will go ahead and grab one, if you're the only vendor.

If you're not, I don't understand this plan and maybe they're hoping for a mis-click.

And sometimes, they actually sell. At one point I sold a shitload of red goo for no less than 600K/stack of 99. I couldn't believe people were willing to pay that price! It was absurd!

I should have mentioned the market.

It was a Cartel item, specifically, pants.

One person posted 18 pairs of pants, that weren't very common, for 500k a piece.

YEAH.

Transporter on
  • Options
    Speaking of GTN, does it have a sales history button that I missed?

Often times I'm not sure how much I should sell an item for when there aren't any on the market (green gear, drops, etc). I usually just do whatever the auto buy out price is, but it'd be nice to see the last 10-20 sales of that item.

• Options

Often times I'm not sure how much I should sell an item for when there aren't any on the market (green gear, drops, etc). I usually just do whatever the auto buy out price is, but it'd be nice to see the last 10-20 sales of that item.

Sadly lamentably no. If they allowed mods...

• Options

Sadly lamentably no. If they allowed mods...

Ahh brutal. It's super helpful in FF XIV (especially when crafting housing items as housing is limited and not many people have them overall).

Not that I would get rich off the items I have access to, but I'm always shocked when I search for the price of an extra mod I have in my inventory and it's selling for 10x it's default price.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah its tough in TOR cause when you see things selling for x credits you really have no idea if those have been up for weeks because the seller is asking a ridiculous amount, or if the price is actually fair and no one is looking right now, or if those things were only posted 4 minutes ago and will sell in another 10

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    See, this is why I undercut everything by 10k to crash the market.

Because this page, in genchat, by someone who can't control their caps lock key.

It's worth more than all the credits.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

Sellers who undercut you only by 1cr are doing their part to try to keep the market price up for whatever you're trying to sell. It seems annoying, but it's really just moving you down the queue. When people need to buy up a batch of crafting mats, they're not going to stop hitting the "Buy Now" button for a delta in price of 1CR. The larger the price deltas between sellers, the more likely batch purchasers will stop buying.

The real (or more real) problem with the GTN is that it's super sensitive to which day of the week you post stuff. There only seems to be enough volume to legitimately determine the prices of stuff on Tuesdays to Thursdays. Every other day of the week, the prices of posted items look like the output of a random number generator. Few sales are happening and it's impossible to get an accurate sense of what something will sell for.

• Options
    Regarding cartel market items: when I used to buy packs, I'd usually get a bunch of items and end up banking them because they weren't really worth anything at the time. Then I'd forget about it entirely and come back 6 months later and notice all this stuff in my bank that, due to the packs no longer being available, are actually worth something now. Not saying that's what is going on, but there are definitely times I've listed 5 of the same "rare" item just because they were sitting in my bank for a long time.