As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What should I know about New Orleans that travel sites won't tell me?

DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
I'm on the verge of moving there...I KNOW there are crappy neighborhoods (just like in every city) but I can't for the life of me find a place that will acknowledge where they are. I'm also curious about neighborhoods -- is New Orleans a walking city at all (are there any self-contained neighborhoods), or do you need a car to get around? What else should a newcomer know?

Oh wow, my account here is eight years old. It's old! I'm old!

• Options
    spaboollyspaboolly Registered User regular
    Have you tried contacting local real estate agents? I assume you're probably looking for a place to live, so they would be able to help you find one that suits your needs and answer questions about different areas.

As for transportation, like in most cities there are usually things within walking distance, but getting around the city will probably require a car if you don't want to take the trolley or can't get to the places you need to go on it.

One bit of advice: Don't buy a house ten feet from the levy. My aunt learned that lesson during Katrina.

ForumTriforce2.jpg
    Scribe. Purveyor of Logic. Player of Video Games.
  • Options
    spaboolly wrote: »
    Have you tried contacting local real estate agents? I assume you're probably looking for a place to live, so they would be able to help you find one that suits your needs and answer questions about different areas.

Only just got one on board after going through THREE complete flakes. If you're going to work with me you've gotta respond to your emails within a couple days, sheesh. :) Still, agents have their own agendas and I always like to hear opinions from third parties.
    spaboolly wrote: »
    One bit of advice: Don't buy a house ten feet from the levy. My aunt learned that lesson during Katrina.

I have a flood map that I refer to frequently. I won't be looking in areas that flooded -- I'm not handy around the house and have no desire to deal with any fixer-upping...

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    In New Orleans proper, they've maintained the absurdly overpriced French quarter. Everything else in the city itself is basically a shithole with rocketing crime rates.

That said, the food is fantastic and the people can be great.

I don't know much about areas outside the city center.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    I've only visited a few times, my wife might be able to tell you more but:

You'll need a car. Unless you can afford the ridiculously expensive property prices in the French Quarter the rest of the city is the typical southern sprawler.

I don't actually know what the crime rates are like but I believe I've seen more commercials and billboards for lawyers and bail bondsmen in NOLA than all other such advertisements I've seen anywhere else in my entire life.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    From what my buddy told me when he lived there - the bad areas are more a patchwork than specific areas, so it's a street by street thing.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    In New Orleans proper, they've maintained the absurdly overpriced French quarter. Everything else in the city itself is basically a shithole with rocketing crime rates.
    My boss who was born in the state says "they should have just raised New Orleans to the ground after Katrina, and then moved it 5 miles and built something new. Right now there is an onion surrounding the French Quarter, each layer just get's worst."

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Divebommah wrote: »
    I'm on the verge of moving there...I KNOW there are crappy neighborhoods (just like in every city) but I can't for the life of me find a place that will acknowledge where they are. I'm also curious about neighborhoods -- is New Orleans a walking city at all (are there any self-contained neighborhoods), or do you need a car to get around? What else should a newcomer know?

Oh wow, my account here is eight years old. It's old! I'm old!

with the exception of a few preserved areas of NO, it's basically all rotten, old, nasty and uncared for. Going to New Orleans and its surrounding burroughs is like going to the 1970's, if the 1970's involved several Godzilla attacks and nobody bothered to rebuild afterward

You will need a car, ideally one with tinted windows. Probably a gun too.

honestly unless living inside of NO city limits is a strict requirement, a place maybe worth looking at is Terrabone Parish/Houma area, which has been growing over the last decade and has some very nice communities that are affordable. That's where I grew up. It's still got all the baggage of Louisiana, but it feels a fuck of a lot safer.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm not handy around the house and have no desire to deal with any fixer-upping...

bad news, NO probably isn't for you. within city limits the properties are pretty much all fairly ancient and water damage will be a reality in your life.

you might want to consider renting

Jasconius on
  • Options

Eek. I don't want to live in the French Quarter because I don't like dealing with drunks on a regular basis. This doesn't bode well.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    They don't confine themselves to just the French Quarter.

You can buy hard liquor in gas stations, and "Daiquiri Stops" (basically Icees with alcohol) are on nearly every street corner.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    As a former New Orleanian, the daquiri shops are also drive-through. So. Yeah.
    Living OUTSIDE of the actual city would be better. Metairie or Kenner are good towns that are close to New Orleans. To get around most anywhere, you will indeed need a car. Also be prepared for shitty drivers, shitty traffic, and the best food.

• Options
    Living OUTSIDE of the actual city would be better. Metairie or Kenner are good towns that are close to New Orleans. To get around most anywhere, you will indeed need a car. Also be prepared for shitty drivers, shitty traffic, and the best food.

I have lived in California about 7-8 years, so shitty drivers is no problem-o. I imagine I'll contribute to the perception. (Note: I'm a very diligent and defensive driver and my worst offense was making an illegal left on a two lane, one-way street).

Are Metairie or Kenner suburban in that they are bedroom communities (ie. people just sleep there) or what? I'm hoping for a place where there's a grocery store, a main drag with shops (book stores, a movie theater, cafes, restaurants, whatever). I used to live in Charlotte and I know what the south can be like (ie. lots of driving) but I'm sensing I'm not going to find that in NOLA.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    metairie, kenner and NO are pretty close to each other. there's really not that much of a divider line either. you just drive in I-10 and you stop being in NO and are now in metarie. they are basically just part of the metro area

basically north of the intercoastal waterway is metro area, south is more like a traditional suburb/bedroom community

but kenner and metairie are established and have stores and malls and entertainment and stuff

it's just all old because LA doesn't believe in infrastructure

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

I have lived in California about 7-8 years, so shitty drivers is no problem-o. I imagine I'll contribute to the perception. (Note: I'm a very diligent and defensive driver and my worst offense was making an illegal left on a two lane, one-way street).

Are Metairie or Kenner suburban in that they are bedroom communities (ie. people just sleep there) or what? I'm hoping for a place where there's a grocery store, a main drag with shops (book stores, a movie theater, cafes, restaurants, whatever). I used to live in Charlotte and I know what the south can be like (ie. lots of driving) but I'm sensing I'm not going to find that in NOLA.

All are right off the interstate. So from kenner to NO, it's like 10-20 minutes' drive depending on where you wanna go? Metairie is between Kenner and NO. Pretty much directly buts up against both. All of them have malls and shops and all the stuff you'll need for sure.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I went to New Orleans as a tourist. Wandered around "the Garden district" because there was a tour of it. Lots of celebrity mansions but ordinary houses and shops too. So it's not all hell on earth outside the French Quarter. Also visited a friend somewhere in the city (don't remember where) that seemed cheaper but not horrible - she didn't mention crime. Probably you shouldn't rent a place long-term before moving there and getting to know the areas.