As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Superhero Movie Thread] Agents of SHIELD renewed. Agent Carter to series. Hail Hydra.

• Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    I'm picturing Warner Brothers executives sitting around trying to figure out why The Avengers was so popular, and reaching the conclusion that it was because there were a lot of characters in it, and not because those characters were enjoyable, and were part of a good story with great action.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Even though it's how the studios deal with animation, I wonder if it's also indicative of how WB makes its decisions with their movies:

http://giancarlovolpe.tumblr.com/post/82641459722/a-little-behind-the-scenes-look-of-the-early

KingofMadCows on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT, ARROW

HOLY SHIT

ALSO
    Ten bucks says that baby is named Connor.

CYpGAPn.png
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Man I hate how Minotaur puts their sticker barcodes directly on their books. Put that shit on the plastic wrapper you bastards! The sticky stuff doesn't come off.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Would Fox have the rights to a movie version of Gorgon since he debuted in a Wolverine comic?

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    Oh man this interrogation scene in AoS is raaaaaad

CYpGAPn.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Possibly.

Or possibly not,

We technically have no fucking clue about how the rights are distributed until we get official statements from the studios about them.

Fox has some weird grabs

Like somehow they got Viper?

CYpGAPn.png
    This dude playing Blackout is...not a great actor.

CYpGAPn.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I think Fantastic Four has to start production by June or the rights revert.

There must be some manic scrambling happening over at Fox right now.

Eh, without seeing the contract, what defines "production" and the timeframes involved are just heavy speculation.

Also, they have a script and a cast apparently, I'm not sure why they wouldn't be able to start production relatively soon.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Like the 1994 Fantastic Four movie showed us, the movie doesn't need to be released or have any proper budget, it basically just has to exist.

( So dumb)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Despite all the jokes about the 1994 Fantastic Four, it's not nearly as bad as people think. They clearly tried to do the best they could, which is a lot more than you can say about a lot of movies, including the two big budget FF movies.

Despite all the jokes about the 1994 Fantastic Four, it's not nearly as bad as people think. They clearly tried to do the best they could, which is a lot more than you can say about a lot of movies, including the two big budget FF movies.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's still one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies, but it's apparent throughout the entire movie that they maybe had a few grand for the budget, and about 5 days to do it.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Oh don't get me wrong, it's still one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies, but it's apparent throughout the entire movie that they maybe had a few grand for the budget, and about 5 days to do it.

Everything I've seen of it says it sucks much less than the other Fantastic Four movies, and probably less than the pending one.

And now I'm depressed.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    At least there's The Incredibles

edited April 2014
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Everything I've seen of it says it sucks much less than the other Fantastic Four movies, and probably less than the pending one.

And now I'm depressed.

It's sad in a way, because they did have a fun idea for the movie, and it's a fun romp , and a way better Dr Doom than the Alba version.
    It's just hampered by things like visible fishing line holding up floating objects, and Johnny's storm flaming on looking like someone drew flames with crayon onto the film reel

edit: entire movie is up on Youtube at any given time , if haven't seen it at least once, you should totally see it at least once, preferably not sober, and in MST3K mode

WiseManTobes on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I was musing the other day on the rights issues

I realize we can't actually determine anything without word from the powers that be, but it's hard not to speculate

the twins and the Skrulls are shared, and Feige believes Kingpin is either shared or Marvel's wholesale (with Sony having previously said they have Kingpin, it sounds as though he is shared), and Marvel clearly has access to the Kree, so they are most likely shared (though we have no word from Fox on the matter)

So I was wondering how significant a character has to be between two franchises in order to be shared territory

I mean, obviously it's a case-by-case basis, but still

First appearance clearly isn't enough if the character is big enough on their own, otherwise Fox would have Black Panther and Marvel/Disney could claim Wolverine is a Hulk character

So would someone like Morbius be shared? He's originally a Spider-Man villain/hero, but he's stood on his own (briefly) and has a history with Blade and Ghost Rider

And now that I think about it, it's a little weird that Black Panther and Inhumans have their own licenses, but not Surfer/Galactus

Is it weird I want Marvel rights back mostly for the Villains?

edited April 2014
    I imagine Marvel thought they could sell the Black Panther and Inhumans rights separately. Silver Surfer is tied to Galactus though, and the big guy is a pretty famous FF character, even if he shows up in ton of other stuff.

Morbius is probably tied to Soider-Man unless marvel felt they could sell the rights separately. But it's all a giant pile of speculation at this point.

I'm still amazed marvel doesn't have Badoon rights. Given they were in a single issue of Silver Surfer before they were the primary antagonists for the original guardians of the galaxy, you'd think Marvel could argue for the rights back. It leads me to speculate that exceptions like the twins or Skrulls has to be specifically spelled out in the contracts. But again, unfounded speculation.

Undead Scottsman on
    Does Sony own all the Spider men?

Could we get Toei Spider Man in the Avengers? and his sweet motorbike and bitchin Voltron robot?

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

Morbius is probably tied to Soider-Man unless marvel felt they could sell the rights separately. But it's all a giant pile of speculation at this point.

I was originally thinking he would maybe be shared between Spidey and Blade, but a quick glance at his Wikipedia page shows that he's less of a Blade character in the comics than the 90's Spidey series had led me to believe

Could we get Toei Spider Man in the Avengers? and his sweet motorbike and bitchin Voltron robot?

I dunno about Spiderman in particular, but I know marvel has said that, say, Miles morales would be under Sony.

We know they own more recent Spider-Men, like Miles

I'd imagine Toei would have to get paid for any Spiderman appearances, but Marvel would have to get paid if Toei wanted to use him as well (otherwise he would have cameoed in Gokaiger, they even brought back the original Metal Hero for that show), so you'd need to have everyone's permission to make that happen, and I have no idea if Sony would have any claim to those royalties

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Oh wow they're making a comic of how exactly Dr. Wily gained the trust of pretty much everyone he's tried to kill and-or conquer during Megaman 2, so that said people-he-tried-to-kill-or-conquer are allowing him to build a "peacekeeping" robot (Megaman 3). That's pretty awesome.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Oh wow they're making a comic of how exactly Dr. Wily gained the trust of pretty much everyone he's tried to kill and-or conquer during Megaman 2, so that said people-he-tried-to-kill-or-conquer are allowing him to build a "peacekeeping" robot (Megaman 3). That's pretty awesome.

Archie Megaman comics are fun.

edited April 2014
    Hmm, with all the crossover's Archie has gotten to do, why hasn't he got to do something with Megaman!

edit: That odd moment when you realize Eminem and Archie only have one degree of separation.

That second odd moment when you realize that degree, is the Punisher

WiseManTobes on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Tom, listen to yourself, then listen carefully to me.
    If you replace the working parts, you get a different machine.
    The man who turns the wheels, they will follow anywhere he leads.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

They've waited so long for this day,
    Someone to take the death away,
    No son would ever have to say,
    "My father worked into his grave."

edited April 2014
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

They've waited so long for this day,
    They've waited so long for this day
    Someone to take the death away,
    There is no price they wouldn't pay
    No son would ever have to say,
    For someone else to lead them
    "My father worked into his grave."
    Don't turn your back on me!

Grey Ghost on
    haha that took a couple edits

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Morbius was in the Midnight Sons with Blade.

I seem to recall that they considered using Morbius in the Blade films but either weren't sure of the rights situation or flat out didn't have him so they didn't. On the dvd of the first Blade movie, you can see an alternate ending that briefly shows a "mysterious vampire" that was intended to be Morbius if I remember right.

What will I become with the things I will create?
    I never said that men should bow
    I never said that men should break

I only want what's best

The one I love, she works so hard
    She works her fingers till they bleed
    Some of the pain that she endures
    Would bring a strong man to his knees

I only want to help

(You are a fool)

You under-estimate the character of man

(They are weaker than you think)

You think that they'll surrender
    If you bind their working hands
    But they are strong

(Just wait and see!)

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    With a taste of your lips
    I’m on a ride
    You're toxic I'm slipping under
    With a taste of a poison paradise
    I’m addicted to you
    Don’t you know that you’re toxic
    And I love what you do
    Don’t you know that you’re toxic

b1ehrMM.gif
    WE WILL BUILD CITIES IN A DAY

This discussion has been closed.