As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

24: Legacy doesn't think it needs Jack Bauer

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I guarantee that is literally the reason they aren't making a spin-off starring her.

And it makes me sad. The world needs more Yvonne Strahovski on tv.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yep, she was perfectly fine last season and this seems like a massive step back from the one off. Which again makes sense usually after a strong season they'd follow it up with something tarded.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Heh, someone making that argument after Fury Road is a little like someone saying no one would watch a Wonder Woman movie after Guardians of the Galaxy came out. :P

Also Jennifer Lawrence making an insane amount of money.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I believe Strahovski is in some ABC drama about Astronaut Wives in the 60's, but it's probably going to be burned off during the summer unless it really strikes a Mad Men chord with the audience. So Fox should just sign her up while they can. In theory.

• Options
    Oh and you know they're totally going to make the next Jack Taylor Lautner. Watch it happen.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    20something dude could be red herring, bring him, then before you know it tony and jack are escaping prison and 20something dude dies and its the tony and jack and serbian tony power hour 4eva.

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Tony was basically confirmed for Season 10 in that S9 bonus thing that hit the internet last year. Even without him there's no way some dinky Russian prison can contain Bauer, though at this point nothing can. Maybe a prison on the Moon.

Butcher on
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Tony teams up with Kate, Chloe and Bryan Mills to break Jack out of a Russian prison and save the world.

Geddoe on
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Yvonne needs to be Captain Marvel.
    So, she needs to wrap up her contracts and get with Marvel asap.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's weird, but I'm less upset about the lack of Jack and more that they're talking about going back to a full 24 hours. The shorter season was absolutely perfect with little to no reason for filler.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    It's weird, but I'm less upset about the lack of Jack and more that they're talking about going back to a full 24 hours. The shorter season was absolutely perfect with little to no reason for filler.

Yeah I'd put up with Jack Bauer Jr if they kept with the tighter focus. the bloat of 24 eps is what lead to kim vs the cougar and CTU station head wackobird daughter who kills herself.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    Yeah that's stupid of them to do. Part of why S9 was the best since S1/2 is because they cut it in half. Just unrelenting momentum.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The full 24 hour format isn't that bad if they use it on character development and plotting instead of just pure intrigue. The early seasons pulled it off well because they had to establish the characters, even the side ones. The last season worked because they didn't need to do any of that work except for Yvonne Strahovski's character.

The middle seasons were terrible because they got caught up in having characters constantly backstab each other for "shock value", and the (ridiculously implausible) storylines were given no chance to succeed with the audience because they never developed them properly. Like, it doesn't always have to be about the end of the world. People care about stuff because they care what happens to the characters, not because the universe is going to implode and "everyone" is going to die.

• Options
    Eh even season 1 had Terri Bauer amnesia, and literally every kim scene from season 1 to season 4.

The short season meant they couldn't put stupid bullshit in like that and I enjoyed it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    A new season is coming! Finally we can get some closure on that cliffhanger we were left with in the last season!
    ..... it's a spinoff with no returning characters! :evil:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    A new season is coming! Finally we can get some closure on that cliffhanger we were left with in the last season!
    ..... it's a spinoff with no returning characters! :evil:

24 without Jack Bauer??

Wow, guess the series is officially over, then.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Yeah that was such a weird thing to follow up a fantastic half season with. "hey lets have no resolution to that and just reboot the show." Uhh what?

What's next after they do this season of xfiles they'll do a reboot without any of the characters?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Stupid. Even making it come back to the US and likely LA seems weird considering LAD.

I would hope Chloe or Kate or Tony shows up, but it seems like even that's a pipedream.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm on board for a reboot. They could start over with lower stakes, not have to constantly one up Jack Bauer's Worst Day Ever.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I hope its being reported wrong or off, I mean again the whole point of 24 is fucking Jack Bauer, and while I liked the idea of like half a season trying to get him back next, I didn't expect an entire season with all new characters because uhh what? FUCK YOU FOX!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I'm not inherently against the idea of 24 without Jack, though I had really wanted them to continue with Yvonne Strahovski's character, and I'd like to see a few familiar faces at least pop up here and there.

I'm more confused by/curious about the Prison Break thing, which that article says continues from the end of the fourth season (spoilers ahoy)
    which ended with Michael DYING. I mean there was a time skip, so I guess it'll take place in that gap maybe? Isn't that when The Final Break took place (I still have not seen it)?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    If they had rebooted it with Yvonne Strahovski, I'd be 110% on board. But if it's a completely new cast, meh.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    kaceyp wrote: »
    I'm not inherently against the idea of 24 without Jack, though I had really wanted them to continue with Yvonne Strahovski's character, and I'd like to see a few familiar faces at least pop up here and there.

I'm more confused by/curious about the Prison Break thing, which that article says continues from the end of the fourth season (spoilers ahoy)
    which ended with Michael DYING. I mean there was a time skip, so I guess it'll take place in that gap maybe? Isn't that when The Final Break took place (I still have not seen it)?

Prison Break/Final Break spoilers, if anyone cares:
    Yeah, Final Break took place in the gap between the end of the original run and the coda showing Michael's tombstone, and shows him actually dying (electrocuted in the process of breaking Sara out). On top of that, we find out he had a terminal brain tumor, so yeah, he should be extremely dead several times over.

Then again, Prison Break was a show that killed a character, had another character see their decapitated head in a box, and then brought them back a season or so later alive and basically just went "well, maybe it was someone else's severed head I saw". I'm sure they'll come up something equally silly to handwave the original show's end away.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Prison Break reboot is actually a rom-com about two ex-cons who fell in love on the inside and got out on parole on the same day (hence it's their mutual prison "break") even though neither of them expected that to happen. Awkard, hilarious romantic situations ensue when they decide to give their love a try amid an uncaring world set in the future with robots.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Prison Break reboot is actually a rom-com about two ex-cons who fell in love on the inside and got out on parole on the same day (hence it's their mutual prison "break") even though neither of them expected that to happen. Awkard, hilarious romantic situations ensue when they decide to give their love a try amid an uncaring world set in the future with robots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_You_Phillip_Morris

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Prepare for incoming racist shit storm.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    I just think it's dumb to make 24 without Bauer.

And unless he bulks up he looks more like some guy who does part-time IT work for CTU on the weekends. Like what Stephen Merchant did in season 5 or 6 or whatever.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I do not recall Stephen Merchant being in 24!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    He was a background CTU guy in one of the seasons (I think 6, with Connie Briton and the nuke?) and he shows up onscreen here and there and you're basically wondering "wait, that's The Office guy, is he going to ptew ptew someone?"

And they just teased you the whole time because it seems he was just a big fan and wanted to be in the background

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I just think it's dumb to make 24 without Bauer.

And unless he bulks up he looks more like some guy who does part-time IT work for CTU on the weekends. Like what Stephen Merchant did in season 5 or 6 or whatever.

Keifer is not exactly the Rock and people had no problem with his build. It's not really a role that needs a great big ripped dude.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Prepare for incoming racist shit storm.

That is the most fantastic, trollest shit ever. Oh my God.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Maybe it's because we knew what he did beforehand in movies but you could at least buy him being older army guy turned CIA turned CTU. Tony, Curtis, and Erik from LAD all looked like they had at least some kind of ptew ptew background.

New guy's probably gonna be pumping skrillex while parkouring off of Teslas and taking a selfie. Hell, it won't even be called Day 1, it will be Snapchat Story 1.

#prescient

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The thing is, the military is much younger than is typically portrayed in movies. That actor is 27 old, enough to be a year removed from 8 years of service as a Ranger, which is all they say about his background. He also could have just done 4 years. He's not actually CTU, yet, just some ex Ranger in trouble.

EDIT: he grizzles up fine:
    2_AF7069400000578_3180322_Time_jumps_Starting_rig.jpg

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Oh shit he's the dude in Walking Dead. He didn't do a half-bad job on that show, so here's hoping.

I think people are a little too attached to Jack in this thread. He wasn't much of a character even at the end of the first season. The format of the show was always more important than the recurring characters. If anything, the series relied too much on Jack carrying it as time went on, instead of focusing on getting the right scripts and characters. A lot of that Jack baggage just ended up weighing them down, because at some point he became unkillable, unbreakable, and infallable, with a proven track record of always being right and always winning, which forced them to constantly up the ante into ridiculousness.

Focusing on a different character, even each year, would let them do stuff like show how different protagonists react to similar situations, and the consequences thereof.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Oh shit he's the dude in Walking Dead. He didn't do a half-bad job on that show, so here's hoping.

I think people are a little too attached to Jack in this thread. He wasn't much of a character even at the end of the first season. The format of the show was always more important than the recurring characters. If anything, the series relied too much on Jack carrying it as time went on, instead of focusing on getting the right scripts and characters. A lot of that Jack baggage just ended up weighing them down, because at some point he became unkillable, unbreakable, and infallable, with a proven track record of always being right and always winning, which forced them to constantly up the ante into ridiculousness.

Define winning.

I mean, yes. He stops the terrorists at the end of the season. Most protagonists do that kind of thing.

But holy fuck, there is no way I'd call Jack Bauer a winner. Wife dead, almost all of his friends dead, lovers dead, mentors dead, (a decent portion of the above by his own hands), more than a year in a Chinese prison, multiple nuclear devices detonated on American soil, and the last time we saw him, he was going into Russian custody with no escape plan where they were probably going to kill him.

Jack Bauer might have been the greatest unkillable terrorist slaughtering machine who ever got a degree in English Literature, but his main function was to suffer.

The point was seeing how much more could be piled on his back, and then watching him break at the end once he could take a second to himself, because as badass as he was, as many people as he killed (over 300 on screen!) he was still human.

If you prick us, do we not bleed?

(Okay, 'If you wrong us, shall we not revenge?' is just as fitting for Bauer, but you get my point.)

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    24: Legacy trailer

https://youtu.be/sOWpUB_Xdqs

I think it looks kind of bad? Yeah, kind of bad.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I feel like I need to watch every episode as it airs, just in case there's a surprise unannounced twist at some point, maybe in Legacy Season three or four, and Jack Bauer shows up as the bad guy or something. Or Tony Almeida again.

Or Chloe.

• Options
    Ok Kid Notorious, that is your job, you signed up for it. We all saw him do it right? He made a pact!

I did hope that at the end Chloe or Tony or Serbian Tony or Kate would show up just to hedge their bets on this thing, but maybe it will happen in later episodes. I hope.

But that trailer, I liked using the pipe as moving cover, but damn if I can deal without the nurse wife or sister becoming Elisha Cuthbert 2.0. It just seems like a action show using the 24 name to help it, this is the TV equivalent of 10 Cloverfield Lane.

• Options
    President Santos is clearly a bad guy.

Calling it now.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Maybe this will be like a Bourne series scenario where people won't necessarily care for 24: Legacy that much and years later we will end up getting a show that is simply called Jack Bauer.

NNID: Rehab0