As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ARMA 3 - PA JOE -or- "Let's play army men."

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Anyone else playing King of the Hill at all? That's pretty much been my jam in ArmA for a few weeks now. It's a multiplayer mod made by the same guy who did the most popular Wasteland variant.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Anyone else playing King of the Hill at all? That's pretty much been my jam in ArmA for a few weeks now. It's a multiplayer mod made by the same guy who did the most popular Wasteland variant.

I've played a bit of it. It's pretty good, but damn getting to the objective can be such a chore.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    JagetoJageto Registered User regular
    A bit belated, but I had a blast playing with everyone on Saturday! The main lesson I took away from the session is to be ready to eject at any given time in a helicopter. :p

Steam: Kaguto
    Origin: Kaguto
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Taranis wrote: »

I've played a bit of it. It's pretty good, but damn getting to the objective can be such a chore.

How so? At least on the servers I play on, there are helicopter ferries running constantly, and the Hummingbird only costs 800 funbucks if you need to get yourself there. It's cheap enough that I regularly will buy one, fly it above the city and just parachute in, letting it crash hilariously.

e: In fact, one of the best ways to make quick cash/XP in KotH right now is to be a helicopter ferry. You get XP and cash for every person that tactically inserts from your chopper. You get even more if you actually land and let them out. It's like 30/30 per for a tactical jump, and 100-200/100-200 per if you land and insert them.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I will try to make it to the Wednesday game, since I am just about finished with this job site, but I can't make any promises until I actually show up on the server. :p
    we are close to finishing, but it may be an end of day finish instead of an awesome end at noon finish.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I play KOH all the time look me up. steam is mojojoeo

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I wouldn't mind playing a chopper support pilot. I can land the right side up most of the time.
    IpemufY.gif

• Options

How so? At least on the servers I play on, there are helicopter ferries running constantly, and the Hummingbird only costs 800 funbucks if you need to get yourself there. It's cheap enough that I regularly will buy one, fly it above the city and just parachute in, letting it crash hilariously.

e: In fact, one of the best ways to make quick cash/XP in KotH right now is to be a helicopter ferry. You get XP and cash for every person that tactically inserts from your chopper. You get even more if you actually land and let them out. It's like 30/30 per for a tactical jump, and 100-200/100-200 per if you land and insert them.

Two thirds of the time my ride, along with me, will be destroyed on the way to the objective or I'll be shot as soon as my parachute hits the ground.

I'd also be interested in playing KotH with other PA Joes

http://steamcommunity.com/id/taranis

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    XOCentric wrote: »
    - A mechanized section was diverted from a neighboring town to cut off escape from the road (these guys were taken out by the friendly special forces paratroopers that dropped).

Seeing this just now let's me put 2 and 2 together to make awesome. I'll explain why for anybody who wasn't there.

I had to bail at the start of this mission and came back something like 60-90 minutes into it. About 15-20 minutes after I got there, me and a couple other people are the closest to the secondary objective, which was a hilltop antennae array. We see paratroopers coming in and our immediate reaction is "CRAPDANGIT", because a mission earlier had a fair number of enemy paratroopers who proved to be a pain in the butt. Turns out the incoming troops were friendlies, which is good since we couldn't recognize them at that range and thus didn't fire.

After they landed, we hear a HUGE shitstorm of gunfire, and everybody thinks it's other friendlies out of sight taking care of the paratroopers (we were all pretty strung out in the valley, so we were in something like 2-3 loose groups a ways from each other). It was only when we started coming across a few NPC friendlies that most of us realized they were actually friendly troops.

Fast forward a bit and we are now leaving the valley in a stolen truck after successfully completing all objectives. On the way out, I see a bigass crowd of dead hostiles, plus the truck or two they came in on, all of which is right on top of the intersection we were using to exfiltrate the town. I assumed that the PA Joes had dealt with all of them while I wasn't there, but here is what actually happened (from ground-level perspective):

1. The Joes hit the HVT, the alarm went off, and significant enemy forces cut off our escape route.
    2. Our own reinforcements showed up and wiped out the enemy reinforcements in a firefight.
    3. We finish and leave, never even noticing what would've been a hilariously one-sided ambush on the way out.

That is some pretty rad on-the-fly player-generated stuff right there.

• Options
    VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    XOCentric wrote: »
    Part of the issue with modifying the campaign is that behind the scenes it is the vanilla Zeus mission at it's core. I don't want to add features that break the game...Another hurdle is that I don't want to force players to have to modify their clients just to play.

I agree absolutely, especially since that Saturday run was pretty flawless. There are some mods that might be neat, but do force us all to download it - Task Force Arrowhead Radio - and probably aren't worth it. I know that the ASR AI and Virtual Ammo System/Storage mods run completely server-side, and Poseidon is just a slightly modified Zeus scenario, so it's only needed by the server too. That said, they're just icing on the cake.
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Yeah, I still keep thinking back to how awesome the nighttime assassination mission was, and I wasn't even there for a bunch of it. Sure, getting faceploded due to somebody's misunderstanding of how the "touch off" function of explosives works was funny as hell, but I also keenly remember how great it was to come back after respawning and watch the survivors scurry down the hill, trying not to get picked off in the darkness by the automated ground vehicle they had evaded by going in the back way to the objective. Or getting hunted around a hilltop by an enemy soldier, gunning him down, then flanking his three buddies on the hilltop and gunning all of them down. Or the heart-stopping lightning flashes while advancing on an objective.

I think that mission in particular would've been great for limited respawns, since it's possible that we might not have had enough people to get both objectives successfully.

Actually, something that mission makes me think of is how we deal with reinforcements at the moment. XOCentric, are you spawning reinforcements for events like when that alarm went off? It's hard for us to tell because we don't have your bird's-eye view, but events like that would certainly add a time pressure to moving on objectives instead of bumbling around for too long before getting focused. When we had to defend that town, I know that the warnings about the approach of the enemy forces got us to all stop messing around so much and get over to the town.

You missed the beginning of the mission, where we played Keystone Kops: SpecOps on the initial approach. @Kaliyama and I were a bit...indecisive with our infiltration strategy, which lead to a pretty cool episode.
    "Okay, play it cool. Don't draw attention to the hatchback, and we should be good."
    "Turn off the headlights so they don't see us!"
    "Wait, doesn't this look more suspicious? Now we're a group of civilians wearing NVGs. Keep the headlights on."

*Kaliyama flips on the headlights, revealing two CSAT soldiers 10 meters away*
    *general panic ensues, we evade off-road while taking fire*

"I'm turning off the headlights so they can't track us--"
    *we immediately drive off a small cliff*

So Kali and I flip the car, and end up as an impromptu sniper/spotter team since we coincidentally have that .50-cal rifle and a suppressed BR. We take up overwatch on a hill north of the target. The rest of the team makes a stealth insertion via MRAP fireball nearby, and I provide marksman support for survivors while Kali takes out the HVT.

We had limited respawns in the form of three hatchbacks, which was a great touch. If we lost them all, we were screwed.

Edit: Also, XO, here's a mod that provides medic respawns, VAS crates (we can self-impose limitations on allowable gear), and (I think) multiple Zeus slots if needed.
    steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=239630785

Your use of the "we" here while I drove our hatchback into a ditch, then limped on to the hillside above the HVT before flipping it over is very kind, given that those were all my screwups. I'm just glad we somewhat-redeemed ourselves by being an effective two-man killteam. Those were the some of the first shots I fired in anger in arma3, so i'm happy i was able to take them out at 300m.

Mentally, just highlight the "emerge unscathed from wrecked vehicle" and "hilltop firefight" moments. Then edit out the in-between flailing bits and replace them with a "trudging across the landscape with grim determination" montage. We look rather good.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Who's the bad mother fucker that just rpg'd down a chopper while quipping "fuck hope"

/:D

we are cooping on the server right now. Steam name same as forum come find me!

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Oh, something I just thought of is that people should really have their ARMA name match their forum/Vent name. Juggling the different comm channels is already a struggle, and it will make it much easier to keep people straight if we aren't also having to remember in-game versus forum names.

Or if not have their ARMA name straight-up match their ARMA name, then at least have their forum name in brackets or something. Considering the nature of the campaign, it's understandable that people may not want to go by their forum name in-game, but that would still let us simplify communication.

• Options
    We may go one more round in a few lil bit,

hit me up on steam. FOR GLORY!

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    As for the insane Robocop AI, I've been playing the campaign with the ASR AI mod, and I like it a lot. Detection range is more reasonable, they take cover and pop smoke (a lot of smoke), and all the parameters are tweakable to fit Zeus's preference. It might help us run more basic optics/limited spawns without getting steamrolled .

Is that the AI we were playing against last night? If so, it almost seemed too easy.

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    tonight is zeus night correct>?

• Options
    Ra's Al PearceRa's Al Pearce "When im in command, every mission is a suicide mission!" - Zap Brannigan Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

I think he said every Wednesday at 1800. I usually show up early so I can gear up and hit the ground guns blazing. Even if it isn't a Zeus night I can run coop missions. One day we will make it off the island my friend.

• Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular

Yes, Zeus campaign will run Weds nights at 6pm EDT unless something comes up.

Saturday games depend on my work schedule.

steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    As for the insane Robocop AI, I've been playing the campaign with the ASR AI mod, and I like it a lot. Detection range is more reasonable, they take cover and pop smoke (a lot of smoke), and all the parameters are tweakable to fit Zeus's preference. It might help us run more basic optics/limited spawns without getting steamrolled .

Is that the AI we were playing against last night? If so, it almost seemed too easy.

I agree, but I was conservative with difficulty since I didn't know what to expect from MCC or DUWS. Also, enemy counts were low since we were playing a non-dedicated co-op server, and I can definitely ramp everything up a bit next time.

Looking forward to PA Joe tonight. B)

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    Ra's Al PearceRa's Al Pearce "When im in command, every mission is a suicide mission!" - Zap Brannigan Registered User regular
    I've been running the "Escape from Stratis/Altis" missions with TPSou and Mojojoeo every so often during the week. If you are not familiar with those missions. The goal is to travel the island and look for any means available to get to the edge of the map. Typically its a boat or a helicopter. The game play puts players in a survival setting and you are required to scavenge weapons, gear, and vehicles. The game is quite challenging as you are out numbered and often out gunned. A typical engagement requires the players to strategize and employ ambush tactics in order to come out on top. Every now and then the group is set upon by roaming patrols who get the drop on us. I've played a dozen or so times and only made it out once. If your interested then keep an eye on the forum and one of us will post before we try to escape again.

• Options
    And its different each time. The chopper patrols differently each go. The foot patrols may or may not be there.... or may have a delayed route.

Its fun as hell and you should join Ra's and usss.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I downloaded both of those missions, but have yet to try them as my Arma abilities need work. I recently learned that the RCO attachment's actual scope CAN be used in place of that crappy red-dot that sits on top of it. I would definitely be interested in trying to escape the island(s) with some PA bros.

Should be interesting to see how helpful I am for tonight's game, though. ;)

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    you will be plenty helpful.... Pvt meatshield.

• Options
    you will be plenty helpful.... Pvt meatshield.

"What do you mean 'just stand in front of the ammo bearer?'"

"Just stand there, trust us"

"...Ok guys, but this seems an aweful lot like a setu-"

-Konphujun has been killed-

• Options
    Arma isn't about kills and deaths so don't really worry about your abilities. Just have fun.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Arma isn't about kills and deaths so don't really worry about your abilities. Just have fun.

This. hell man. Dont even shoot- be the spotter. Binos and call em out. Spot for the DMR. "shot low and left.. shot high" that kinda stuff.

its coop. it isnt about your stats- its about the experience of getting through it together...

• Options
    Tonight's game will require at least two to three guys to stay very near me as we progress through the mission. Their job will be to absorb most of the fragmentation and debris from incoming mortar and 40mm grenade fire with their bodies, as I have an unnatural tendency to be in just the right place to get taken out by these types of weapons. That is all.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    you are making me do this.

(( you are lucky. i cant find the edit where you get mortar exploded off a hill and your corpse comes flying at us.))

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Tonight's game will require at least two to three guys to stay very near me as we progress through the mission. Their job will be to absorb most of the fragmentation and debris from incoming mortar and 40mm grenade fire with their bodies, as I have an unnatural tendency to be in just the right place to get taken out by these types of weapons. That is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdZpiAqdDSM

• Options
    It took me some time but I actually found a picture from deep in an Arma archive. This picture shows where all the NATO firearms and equipment are manufactured. Enjoy this rare photo. That is all.

dwrq04wpnk8s.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2014
    We fumbled a bit with that HVT mission on Saturday, but hot damn did we kick some covert-mission ass tonight. Started off with a nice, casual, 5-mile swim for insertion via stealth chopper, complete with rebreathers and wetsuits, with us equipping on the beach. Then three radio towers strung out west-to-east and we worked our way westward through them like clockwork, taking them down one after another with satchels; about the time we got to the third one, a chopper starts hunting us and keeping on our ass. We blow the tower, get down into some valleys for cover, then have to hoof it waaay west to a peninsula town for exfiltration, with all our AT rockets expended. We're zig-zagging all over the landscape, trying to avoid foot patrols and automated armored vehicles; get within a couple hundred meters of the exfil point and it is just packed with troopers in towers and HMG nests and everything. Try to keep it stealthy, but there are just too many troops and we get seen, causing an awesome extended firefight with rockets, grenades, machine guns, everything. Jerk boat driver keeps saying the area is too hot, so we thoroughly clear out the peninsula, then have to hold it for 15 minutes with APCs, troops, and combat UGVs coming over the ridge to our northeast. Wipe them out with rockets, sniper fire, LMG fire, knives, sharp sticks, and some high-explosive fire-support that lit up the whole hillside in front of our position.

Partway through the fight, that asshole chopper shows up again. Took us a little bit, but we get the AA launcher figured out, bringing down the chopper in a truly epic fireball right beside the tower; got the best seat in the house for that, because I was up in the tower leaning out a doorway to shoot at the chopper. Thing was eye-level and coming right at me when the rocket slams into the bastard just a hundred meters off and the chopper curls off to my right, culminating its night of dickery in a lovely fireball. Boat finally showed up just a fresh wave of a bunch of troops started coming our way; dropped what we were doing and ran the hell out of there.

Also, I am now a True Believer for LMGs. Had a blast with a 7.62 mm model all night long, and three extra boxes of ammo lasted me nearly the whole way.

Nothing but applause for XOCentric for tonight; apparently the only thing he had pre-coded into the mission was our insertion point and he whipped up everything else on the fly, including foot and vehicle patrols that had us scurrying everywhere. Legitimately some of the most unique and interesting fun I've ever had with a game, because there is 100% no way to really predict what will happen next.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    When I say hard coded, I mean I had a named marker placed on the map, that's all. Everything else was created on the fly. This was part zeus test, and part "I was out of town and didn't get the map ready".

The Zeus module is one of best things introduced into a game. Ever.

Also, I was piloting that asshole chopper between spawning enemies and setting up your next hurdle.

I'm glad everyone seemed to enjoy the game.

steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Lesson learned: Shoot the missile after the helicopter passes by. I just about burned off my eyebrows and murdered the whole team with flaming wreckage. But tango down, motherfucker. Also, sorry for grenading you, NotoriusBEN... :s

We also had this creepy bastard following us for half the mission - the one dubbed Boony Hat Man. He seemed sketchy as hell, but was unarmed and ROE dictated we leave him be. I snapped a pic of him as we neared the evac zone, and if you look carefully at his right hand, the son of a bitch is holding a pistol. WHAT SECRETS DOES HE KNOW.

DBF403113ECF7E2FCA72AAFA53A0B3E0E1B620F4

VedicIntent on
    VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    How did we ever get the Titan's CLU to lock onto the chopper? I think I was smoking for that part.

Sorry for whoever got hit by my satchel charge. It was my first time using it and in the middle of the firefight I just set it on a 40 second fuse.

Also, if we're going to have civilians that might be sleeper agents then we really need to hammer out the Rules of Engagement.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The satchel thing actually sort of worked out, because I think that, even though it crippled me, it also pasted the remaining baddies that were firing at us when it went off. But I survived to crawl away, so no big deal.

But just for the record, we should make sure that everybody knows that SETTING a charge automatically arms it for remote detonation, and that you can then move off to use the "touch off" command to set off the charge. Once a charge is set, it requires no further interaction to be prepped for remote explosions.

And I think what we figured out was that either the launcher we were using was semi-guided and you had to keep a button held down while keeping it in your sights, or that somebody had to mark the chopper with a laser designator. Either way, it ate a rocket almost face-on, with epic (and nearly hilariously-tragic) results.

EDIT: Also checked out the range on remote detonation and yeah, the idea I had about setting charges at all three objectives today and detonating them at once later wouldn't have worked without having one person near each objective to set them off. Looks like the range of remote detonation is just about 3 kilometers, and all the objectives were more widely spaced than that. Best we could've done is set off the charges much further away from the positions than we did, but it likely wouldn't have mattered much.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I missed tonight once again. Long night, ended up getting shitfaced at the bar. I literally juist stumbled homne. I want to play with you guys though. We really need to get some co-op going on the off-days. What do you guys think? Maybe a static mission each week between Zeus that just runs the entire time weather we complete it or not?

Also, the accounts of tonight's excursion into XOCentric's game sound amazing and I'm totes jelly. It sounds like a blast!

EDIT: Dynamic War Simulator System might be a fantastic thing to run in between sessions. I'\m pretty sure it is all server side too.

Konphujun on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, something else XO put in the game today that was really, really nice was the sort of "clown car" spawn mechanic like in the Battlefield games, with the big difference being that anybody can spawn on anybody regardless of squad. Sure, not uber-milsim, but fantastic for facilitating drop-in/drop-out gameplay for people who might not be able to start at the scheduled time. It also made recovering your gear infinitely easier, since you didn't have to worry about your body despawning while you run a couple kilometers from a respawn to get to it.

It also meant that we had to be careful enough to not get the whole team wiped at once (since that would result in Fission Mailed), but not so over-careful that we couldn't make good time on objectives. I know I definitely appreciated being able to get back in the fight and recover all of gear and my LMG in a minute or two after getting popped a couple times, rather than having to spend 10-15 minutes getting back to the mission with inferior gear.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    One of the things that kinda irked me about Arma was the ability to hide long rifles on your person. I tended to hate civilian insurgents unless I was one of them in those kind of games specifically because of that.

I'm not sure if Arma 3 corrected this, but I'd be ok with civilian insurgents in plain clothes only if:
    -They cannot hide long weapons like battle rifles, or launchers.
    You can't hide such a thing in real life, and if you have a dufflebag, or carrying case, You know what they could be carrying.
    If they want to fight and move around with impunity, they need to stash the long weapons, then they can move about to another stash, and then pick up a weapon from that stash.

-They can conceal pistols and grenades. At a distance, you can conceal these things in plain clothes.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Considering how the AI is, I doubt they will actually need long rifles to tear us a new one if they catch us by surprise. We'll just all drop to the ground unharmed, with 15 bullet holes in Pearce's face. :P

But I think we did pretty good with avoiding civilian contact tonight; refraining from firing on the obvious informant tailing us probably meant more hassle than we would've otherwise had to deal with, but we really were obligated to not engage him due to our RoE.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I think the Titan just requires you to point it at where you want the missile to go afterwards, it doesn't seem to actually lock on to things. Will do some experimenting this evening with it to check.

Plus real mean use unguided RPGs to take down helicopters in a single shot.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Was a pretty awesome night.

We need to be slightly more organized, we fell into the re-spawn to muscle through an engagement trophe a little at the end.

maybe bump respawn time to a minute? I mean its harsh... but we want maximum respect for your person.... The goal is nicks and cuts and no one goes down.

But its that same kinda tense quiet moments between crazy shit as day z. Ducking helos and patrols in a mad dash to the pickup at the end was awesome.

things of note
    - note how close we could get on our bellies before they could see/hear us.
    - We should use more setups ala tower #3- long guns engage as the fire team flanks. Besides the one guy not being dead and wounding me.... that went well.
    - Scouting is as important as shooting.
    - We should maybe coordinate load outs better at the start.... We had AA at RENO, no one grabbed it :p. That would have made that chopper buzzing us less scarey....
    - 1 to 2 long guns, a LMG or 2, assault stuff we balance pretty well.
    - Long gun guys- You did your job well- but get comfy with those guns.... shooting at 100-200 can be a bear in this game you guys are expected to take the 200+ ... way plus shots.... the less shots you guys take to down a guy the better. We may not always have silencers....
    - Those metal fob towers are death. To think it makes you safe is to be a fool. ;D
    - the next time zeus tells us we have an extraction in x amount of time. i will personally murder you all if no one reminds us to PLACE. GOD. DAMED. MINES. CLAYMORES. SATCHELS. we always forget to burrow in and twice now Zeus provided us with a crate of them in these situations.

Zeus
    -Pacing was awesome. started slow with some nature swimming. <<SHARKS!>> and the build up with each take was perfect.
    -Consider the larger squad size setting as a means of us keeping together a lil easier. the icons help...
    - the spawning on each other worked better but- make it hurt more (ala the above, longer timer- one mans opinion)

Zeus or no- saturday Ill run escape from altis on the server.

mojojoeo on