As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggestions for a gaming mouse

DoctorArchDoctorArch CurmudgeonRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
My wireless mouse is finally going on the fritz, and as there are not very many places (that I'm aware of, please correct me if there are) that actively review mice from a gaming standpoint, I thought I'd hit you guys up for opinions.

How are wireless vs. wired today? Laser vs. optical?

Personally, I've tried out the Logitech MX 518, and I've really liked it. I like Razor's offerings, but the mice don't really fit my hand, although I am open to suggestions.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
DoctorArch on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    The logitech offerings are good devices. Wired vs. wireless is really a matter of preference, depending on whether you find wires or batteries more irritating. Laser vs. optical is snake oil garbage.

Really, just get one that feels comfortable, looks decent, and fits your price range.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wireless mice have great response times these days, though if you're really anal about it wired will probably always "feel" better. I used an MX 518 for a couple years and loved it. Now, I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. The laser tracking doesn't seem a huge improvement over optical (though it is somewhat noticeable), and the finish on the mouse isn't holding up as well as logitech's.

I'd personally go with anything in the logitech line that has two side buttons. Some of their mice have only one side button, and I've always enjoyed having two personally, though YMMV.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    careful with the mice selection. I bought my logitech and the middle mouse button is a mess. try to avoid those tilt wheels. the tilt works great, but middle mouse is damn near impossible to click without tilting.

I do 3d work so middle mouse is super important... it might not be with you though.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I try to avoid wireless options for my gaming system because I don't really feel like dealing with batteries. Plus, wired gives better performance if they design it in. Wires are just capable of more right now. Plus you don't have to worry about really, REALLY wonky shit like your 2.4 GHz phone interfering with it.

I bought a Razer Diamondback mouse and a Razer mousepad and love both. Wouldn't trade them for anything. The mouse itself has on-the-fly adjustable sensitivity and, well, 7 buttons. (really 5 but the two on either side have rocker switches). And the pinky side button is a little hard to use as well, I guess I don't exercise my pinky enough to have a great amount of dexterity to use a button in a split second decision. Especially when the button is a rocker switch. But, it's blue, and we ALL know blue is cool.

The mousepad is great also, it has some nice pads to keep it from moving (and although there is no adhesive on these pads, it has stuck to my desk like a rock). It's made of metal and is dual sided and has, thus far, given me EXCELLENT performance. The mouse is wired and USB connective. I'd recommend both, high performance, no batteries, and blue LEDs. What more do you want?

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ooh! Ooh! Thread I can contribute content to!

I very VERY strongly recommend Labtec, oddly enough. I have Logitech and "Microsoft" wireless mice and they both suck. Logitech's seems to have problems with the plastic mouse itself being a peice of junk, and the MS laser bluetooth deal has communication issues. Labtec makes an extremely simple optical wireless mouse that's comfy, sturdy, works very well at respectable ranges, and everything. I likee vurry much.

It does take regular batteries instead of a LithIon pack, so I keep a charger handy with four AA extras (they double for the Xbox 360 controllers).

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Im currently using the Logitech Mx518. I really dig it. I don't like the newer mice that have the middle button that rocks left and right. I also dont like mice that do not let you feel when you roll the mouse one click up or down.

I also like when there are two extra buttons by the thumb. One is usually for autorun in WoW/GW and the other is for Vent push-to-talk.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    careful with the mice selection. I bought my logitech and the middle mouse button is a mess. try to avoid those tilt wheels. the tilt works great, but middle mouse is damn near impossible to click without tilting.

Yeah, my new MX 400 has been a pain in the ass for that. I find I have to put a lot more effort into pushing the middle mouse button towards the center of the mouse, rather than simply pushing it down, to get it to "click" without scrolling. It's only really bothered me when web-browsing, but it's something worth looking into.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MX518 is win. I have that. Hotness. I need to replace the feet thingies though, too much food crumbs on mouse pad wear that shit down.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    After much goading, my brother convinced me to get a Razor using some Holiday money I had. Certainly can't complain, as it is a fancy mouse with a lot of adjustable features. I feel the side buttons are ever so slightly hard to reach with larger hands, but it doesn't prevent me from using them in games.

I got mine for $40 or so on sale. That was months ago, so who knows the current price.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I did a thread like this a few days ago and ending settling on a Logitech MX Revolution. It hasn't got here yet so I can't comment on its performance.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It does help to know what kind of games you play and how hardcore. Basically if you do hardcore FPS gaming on the PC, laser may not fit your uses. It's fine for everything else but not something to pay a premium for.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    warder808 wrote: »
    Im currently using the Logitech Mx518. I really dig it. .

I have one of these too and love it. It's hard to not have the two thumb buttons (which automatically map to forward/back in firefox) even for everyday use, plus the sensitivity adjustment on the fly is really useful in games like the Battlefield series.

djklay on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Got the exact same setup as ToyD except for the mouse. I have the Razer DeathAdder. I'm satisfied.

EDIT: LoL typed Copperhead instead of DeathAdder.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The tracking problems on the Copperhead really only manifest themselves at the higher DPI. I could not get the mouse to lose traction at 400DPI. So I have set up the side buttons to switch between 2000DPI and 400DP to get the benefits of both.

I wouldn't expect the mouse to magically make you a better gamer though. It is just a mouse with DPI switching capabilities and 4 extra buttons. If it wasn't for those features I wouldn't be able to distinguish it from any other mouse I've used.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Logitech G7 = pure win, though I hate the newer color. The G5 is the wired version. I have the same chassis in my old Logitech MX Duo, but that's not what makes the G7 gaming mouse awesome. Just try it. If I didn't get it for a steal, it would have been worth every penny of the $100 they ask for it.

CZroe on
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I love the Logitech MX500 series. They are comfortable in my hand, have two thumb buttons and most games recognize the thumb buttons in game without having to map them to a keyboard key. I have an MX500, and a MX510 till the RMB started flaking out and went back to the 500.

I also have the MX5000 bluetooth keyboard/mouse kit and havnt had any game breaking issues with either the keyboard or the mouse. The mouse in the kit is basically a bluetooth MX1000 cordless. Having three thumb buttons is nice, but no game recognizes them so they have to be bound in the software to keys, and since the software is dumb, it does not remember keybinds by application. In game responce of that particular mouse version is really good, I could not tell a difference between my corded and cordless. Since it has a Li-Ion pack, battery life is very good as I have gone days without putting the mouse on the charger, however it is much heavier than a simple corded mouse.

I do hate the logitech G series mice, simply for the reason that they only have One thumb button. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to remove buttons instead of adding them is an idiot. The more buttons, the better.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The MX and NX series are their mainstream performance parts. The G-series is their gaming series. Anantech contrasted the Revolution mice to the G5 and G7 and said that the added features are for other uses and a gamer should stick with the G5/G7.

CZroe on
  • Options
    DarkfishDarkfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I recently got an MX610, It's been pretty great for games so far, and has two buttons that light up when you get an email or instant message :) I don't use them for it though, they open up My documents and My Music. Its wireless and super light even with batteries in it. One thing that's really cool about it is that it has volume controls on it and a mute button. The only thing really wrong with it is it's a bit of a struggle getting down the middle click sometimes.

The MX518 is really solid too a friend of mine has one, the deal breaker for me was wires. With my current PC setup the wire would go down the side of my desk into a USB socket, this would always mean I would be pulling against the wire upwards if you get what I mean >_<

Darkfish on
    hyrulesig1ui.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Another vote for the MX518. I use an MX700, which is basically a wireless version without the senitivity adjustability, and it's awesome.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    This is my second Logitech mouse in a row where the padded feet fall off. :x

Guess it's time to buy a new mouse then.

Echo on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For wired mice, the MX510/518 are both great. I don't use them, but I know many who do and they all love them.

For wireless, the MX1000 is unbeatable (except by it's successor, whatever it's called). I use it and you don't have to worry at all about batteries--this thing runs for about three days straight off the charger, and can "quick charge" to last maybe a day within an hour. Once it tells me it's running low, I just pop it on the charger that night and it's full within a few hours, ready to be used for a few more days. I also can't notice any lag or anything.

As for laser vs. optical, I can't tell difference.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    fogeyman wrote: »
    For wired mice, the MX510/518 are both great. I don't use them, but I know many who do and they all love them.

For wireless, the MX1000 is unbeatable (except by it's successor, whatever it's called). I use it and you don't have to worry at all about batteries--this thing runs for about three days straight off the charger, and can "quick charge" to last maybe a day within an hour. Once it tells me it's running low, I just pop it on the charger that night and it's full within a few hours, ready to be used for a few more days. I also can't notice any lag or anything.

As for laser vs. optical, I can't tell difference.

The successor is the G7. EVERYONE BUY THE G7.

G7. G7. G7.

Take it from a MX700, MX900, MX1000, and G7 user: Get the G7. Get two.

Cradle mice? BAH! Who wants to set the mouse down for hours when the batteries run dead? A quick-release "pop" and you're set with a new battery with the G7. Not even a battery door to deal with! It runs the high-capacity batteries dead relatively quick compared to an MX mouse because it has to keep the sensor active constantly in gaming mode. I got two (one for the laptop and one for the desktop) so I have twice the batteries in reserve. Because I use a different Logitech mouse for the desktop when I'm not playing a game, I always have plenty of spare charged cells to throw in the laptop bag (otherwise, I'd carry the USB charger).

CZroe on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ToyD wrote: »
    wired gives better performance if they design it in. Wires are just capable of more right now. Plus you don't have to worry about really, REALLY wonky shit like your 2.4 GHz phone interfering with it.

All of this shit is fucking FALSE. As in, completely inaccurate.

But what can I expect from someone who places "blue LEDs" on a list of reasons to buy a mouse?

JWFokker on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    JWFokker wrote: »
    wired gives better performance if they design it in. Wires are just capable of more right now. Plus you don't have to worry about really, REALLY wonky shit like your 2.4 GHz phone interfering with it.

But what can I expect from someone who places "blue LEDs" on a list of reasons to buy a mouse?

Negative, it is absolute FACT that wires give better performance than wireless. It is also FACT that 802.11b/g will interfere with 2.4 GHz phones. If you don't know what you're talking about then don't speak. And I happen to enjoy blue LEDs. I should also add that that particular mouse comes in a few different colors. I got the blue one.

Now piss off.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

Negative, it is absolute FACT that wires give better performance than wireless. It is also FACT that 802.11b/g will interfere with 2.4 GHz phones. If you don't know what you're talking about then don't speak. And I happen to enjoy blue LEDs. I should also add that that particular mouse comes in a few different colors. I got the blue one.

Now piss off.

No, your full of shit and I'm tired of it.

Look, if you're looking for a gaming mouse, here is the best mouse logitech ever made for gaming:

mltmwweh1.gif

Wireless, simple comfortable design. I've been using this mouse for years. I've gone through about 3 computers and I'm still using this same mouse. My mouse is so old that THAT mouse in the picture is actually a bit newer than mine. On mine the logitech logo is closer toward the buttons, but everything else is the same. This mouse is so good, that at one point my scroll wheel wasn't working too well, so instead of buying a new mouse I simply picked up a logitech mouse I had laying around (that comes for free with their keyboards), took out it's scroll wheel and used it to replace my trackball's scroll wheel. Now it scrolls really smooth.

Bottomline: This is the best mouse ever. Batteries last a really long time on this mouse. Theres no LEDs, no "omfg shitload of buttons", no stupid pushing the mouse around on a table, it just kicks ASS. Get one.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Obs wrote: »

Now piss off.

No, your full of shit and I'm tired of it.

Hey, the earth is flat. If you want to live in ignorance, have at it.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No, you're just fucking wrong. Wireless mice have performed just as well as wired mice for YEARS now. It was only the first generation or two of wireless mice that had any lag whatsoever. And it's not wireless networks interfering with phones, it's the phones interfering with the wireless network. WLANs use direct sequence spread spectrum while phones use frequency hopping spread spectrum, which uses the entire 2.4Ghz spectrum. So it's shitty phone design to blame, not wireless networks, fucko.

The fact of the matter is you don't know shit about wireless technology. It would be well advised for you to stop posting on the subject.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hohohoho calm down. Wired vs wireless is just matter of preference.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    gneGne wrote: »
    Hohohoho calm down. Wired vs wireless is just matter of preference.

Well, not really. There are certain objective facts which can be debated.

But the fact is there's no debate going on here, just angry people yelling. Try to keep that down, guys.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    fourtecksfourtecks Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    scootch wrote: »

I do 3d work so middle mouse is super important... it might not be with you though.

Tilt wheel used to piss me off but I remapped the thumb back button to middle mouse button and the tilt wheel to page forward/backward. Personally I find using the thumb button a hell of a lot better for things like 3dsMax then pressing down the middle button. So it was a winning situation for me in the end.

fourtecks on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, not really. There are certain objective facts which can be debated.

But the fact is there's no debate going on here, just angry people yelling. Try to keep that down, guys.

Ok, I thought I'd brought up my posts in a reasonable way then got yelled at. The reason I bring it up is that wireless interference does exist in the 2.4 GHz band. This includes 802.11a/b/g wireless devices and bluetooth. I was called a liar, then even others posted that intereference exists, but somehow I was wrong because it was another device's fault. I really don't care what causes it.

The reason this is important is that in a "gaming" mouse, you want accuracy and performance. Wireless interference is BAD for this. For those that have wireless mice and are happy with them, good for you. The potential for interference exists and should be considered in a purchase.

You also have to deal with batteries. Some people don't mind the added hassle (I consider it a hassle). It also makes your mouse heavier.

In this respect, I consider wired superior for the additional bandwidth available on a wire that's not available wirelessly, plus I do'nt have to worry about degraded performance due to a dying battery and potential wireless interference from other devices.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So i have a Logitech MX518 and it suits my enemy-territory triple headshotting needs nicely, however I would seriously reccomend checking out the gaming mice by a4tech

I hadnt heard of them until recently but they look awesome
    http://www.a4tech.com/en/product1.asp?CID=102&SCID=103

Im looking at the X-750BF for my next purchase, which performs very well and importantly is CHEAP. (mice are a horrible rip off for what they are tbh) and this is just £20 ($40?) for a mouse that will keep up with the best gaming offerings from logitech or ms.

A guy in my clan is a bit of a mouse whore, having had just about everything, and says this is the best he has used.

Also, if you want a comparison of mice (which includes the A4tech) check out this benchmarking article on esreality: http://www.esreality.com/?a=longpost&id=1265679&page=1

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still love my Intellimouse Optical.
    mimsimoptoemux5.gif

If Microsoft released a direct upgrade to it with a newer sensor, tiltwheel, and each side button split into two, I'd buy a damn case of 'em and use it until USB is beyond obsolescence.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MX Revolution. Go buy one now. They're shit-hot.

Yes, it has one of those annoying tilt-wheel middle mouse buttons, but if you just remap the lil' "search" button to middle click instead, it's actually more convenient that trying to click without scrolling.

Plus, if you get the uberOptions modification, you can remap any button to pretty much any button, placing effectively a second keyboard under your right hand. Hell, I can count 12 buttons I can set to whatever I want over there.

It makes WoW much easier, I tell you what.

That, and my 2.4GHz phone is directly in the path between my mouse and the receiver. I've never had problems.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Imperfect wrote: »

Thank you. At last some encouragement. After ordering mine I've begun to worry that I've made a bad choice.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Imperfect wrote: »

Thank you. At last some encouragement. After ordering mine I've begun to worry that I've made a bad choice.

No, man. They're solid. I got mine when my MX1000 broke down and my 3-year service plan (which I exchanged at 3 years less 3 days) dictated I got a "feature-comparable over-the-counter exchange". I was worried because that weird scrolly thing on the side was new and frightening, but it works well.

Bonus points for wireless mice: no cord. I cannot express how much having a cord shove back against me pisses me off when I'm trying to line up a shot. That alone has me away from wired mice FOREVER.

Oh, and for people who are worried about lag time difference between wired and wireless mice, I'd be that most of you haven't even bothered changing the polling rate on your USB ports. The default (I think) is 125hz, and kicking it up to 500hz is a marked improvement that basically erases any "speed" difference between wired and wireless.

I mean come on, above a certain point, the lag is in our heads, not our mice.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The G7 is a fucking beast. CZroe has already said enough so I can keep my reply short.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    My MX Revolution arrived yesterday and so far it's been very cool. Especially going from an old crappy rollerball mouse. Although the one problem I have is that I left it on charge all night and it only charged up to two of the three bars.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    My MX Revolution arrived yesterday and so far it's been very cool. Especially going from an old crappy rollerball mouse. Although the one problem I have is that I left it on charge all night and it only charged up to two of the three bars.

Does the revolution have the double batteries like the G7? Or just a single battery and sits on a charger when you aren't using it? They took a giant step backwards it doesn't have the 2 battery config.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Guys, the only real disadvantage to a wireless mouse is the battery issue. Whether you go wired or wireless should be decided based solely on how likely you are to forget to charge your mouse vs. how much having the wire present annoys you.

I know that I personally would end up kicking myself pretty hard about once a week if I had a wireless because I'd never remember to keep it charged and that would suck, and I don't mind the wire because my desk isn't nearly big enough for wire length to be an issue.

The lag on a modern wireless mouse is so low that it's not going to be discernable in comparison to a wired mouse. The Logitech G7 reports 500 times per second. Your reaction time is at best going to average around 1/5 of a second. The latency introduced by reporting every 1/500 of a second is not going to affect you. That is a 2 ms delay when your brain's delay is going to be over 200 ms.

Nevermind the fact that in online gaming you have network latency on top of that. Your PC introduces latency as well. Getting 60 FPS steadily from that top of the line video card? That's taking a whole 17 ms to update the screen. The gaming mouse reports position changes 8 times faster than your videocard can show you what is happening and 100 times faster than you can process what is being shown to you.

Anyone that blames the mouse is a fucking tool.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH