As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    35ef7200df8f01317256005056a9545d

MadEddyJimmy MarkuSassoriPsykomaThe BetgirlCreaganSlacker71
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    That feeling of pulling up into a crowded gym parking lot, barely finding a spot, getting in, grabbing one of the few remaining lockers, and then walking by machine after machine to a back corner and finding the gym's one power rack completely unused and doing your entire workout routine without being interrupted once.

Bliss.

PsykomaBeef AvengerPeenFrylockHolmesTheStigMadEddyDonovan PuppyfuckerAngelinaAJRcooljammer00JihadJesusProlegomenaDoctorArchBé ChuilleSlacker71Rele
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I started on that beginner body weight work out which gets often posted.
    The first time I could manage one set, and then my chest felt like it was exploding.
    The second time was yesterday and I also did 15 minutes of elliptical beforehand, and was able to do two sets.
    Elliptical + treadmill tonight, then back to the weight training tomorrow.

UsagiLabelDonovan PuppyfuckerAngelinaInquisitorFoolOnTheHillSlacker71
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Gave up meat, fish and alcohol for Lent, managed to lose 5 kilos in as many weeks (then stalled because I can't be trusted with cereal). Bought a pair of jeans a little under a month ago which are now too loose to wear without a belt, one of the better problems to have really :P

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    cooljammer00NeurotikaFoolOnTheHillSlacker71
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Today I cycled to work for the first time this year. After taking a week off from basically everything, due to bad bronchitis. And I got up late so I didn't have any breakfast or a drink, just straight on the bike and up the mountain ...
    ... I got about halfway up. Felt a bit wonky, so I got off to walk for a minute, then my legs got shaky and my vision started going black and I had to sit down with my head between my legs for about ten minutes. it was awesome. No, wait, the opposite of taht.

Donovan PuppyfuckerAJR
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Since the snow had mostly melted (until we got more last night) I went for my first really-pushing-myself outdoor run of the year. A couple minutes slower than I was last fall, which is worse than I hoped since I've been regularly using the treadmill, but I should be able to progress quickly when the snow stops for the year.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    My upper body is so out of shape that I've got DOMS from playing table tennis, I think.

TheCanMan
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    My upper body is so out of shape that I've got DOMS from playing table tennis, I think.

Even training regularly, bowling more than one game will leave me feeling sore on my right side.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    I gots to get me fit for Australia

Here's my game plan

1: No crisps or fizzy drinks until the 1st of June. No exceptions. Snack-a-Jacks are rice cakes, so they're OK. Same with popcorn, but braces make that kind of difficult anyway, and those don't come off until late May.

2: Run every day (Monday to Saturday) until the 15th of June, exactly a week before I get on the plane. I started doing this this time last week, and it's been going great so far! I've been lazy with my running for a few months, but I've already worked myself back up to a five mile average.

Since I live near the coast, I have a nice,looking and simple route. Here's how the days will work. Still figuring out the specifics.

Monday: Fast day! Three. Keep pushing best time.
    Tuesday: Regular day. Five miles. Push-ups and sit-ups.
    Wednesday: Long run day. Eight miles. Keep pushing distance.
    Thursday: Regular day. Five miles. Push-ups and sit-ups.
    Friday: No headphones! Six miles. Run on the sand a bit, enjoy surroundings.
    Saturday: Short run day. Three miles. Go to the gym, do swimming or weight machines.
    Sunday: Nowt.

3: Day one in Melbourne, get a bike. Explore. Figure out route and distance to beach. Get an idea for running routes, both along beach and near accommodation. Form new gameplan involving biking, running and swimming. Look for societies in University that might involve some of that. Maybe even... surfing.

Any suggestions? I'm not exactly an expert, so if there's something I can do to improve my plan, I'd love to hear it.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I think if I stopped drinking beer I'd instantly lose 40 lbs ala Chris Pratt. That shit ain't happening tho.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Shazkar ShadowstormPeter EbelRele
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Anyone have any youtube channels or other resources that they'd recommend for getting into yoga stuff? Preferably with a focus on mobility to complement weightlifting and as little as possible about mental or spiritual junk?

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Anyone have any youtube channels or other resources that they'd recommend for getting into yoga stuff? Preferably with a focus on mobility to complement weightlifting and as little as possible about mental or spiritual junk?

this got recommended to me by someone http://www.fitterufitness.com/yoga-for-athletes/fatloss.html

i have not tried it tho

i bet there is enough free stuff out there

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    as a free thing i did some stuff with the fitstar yoga app

poo
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    okay I forgot how brutal skipping is

ten minutes with rests and my stomach muscles aaaah

I mean its good cause that means its working but wow,

i like jump rope it is phun

much more fun than running for me at least i don't get running still

poo
    Liiya
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I suck at skipping. It's good exercise though. Maybe I should get into it.

Fuck off and die.
    Liiya
    Started in on by he C25K program for like the fifth time this week. I.... don't like running. But I need to get into better shape. Maybe I'll make it past week three this time.

Might be obvious advice, but you can repeat a week a few times if you feel you're struggling - you don't have to increase on their timetable.

Donovan PuppyfuckerMadEddy
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Started in on by he C25K program for like the fifth time this week. I.... don't like running. But I need to get into better shape. Maybe I'll make it past week three this time.

if you don't like running there are many other things you can do

i hate running! so i do other things

poo
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Running didn't start as a fun thing for me... It just became one.

And then I stopped because allergies and now it's a slog again.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    MadEddy
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Walked six miles today.

Feel good but now that I sat down I'm getting so sleepy.

tynicJoeUser
    I'm still trying to get back to pre-sick fitness levels. Hopefully by next weekend.

MadEddyFlarneSassori
    yeah i walked like 6 miles yest too

and today went on a pretty long walk

so nice out thoooough

poo
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Apparently I had mono in like November, which is why I've felt so crap since then, and why I have been struggling working out. Having an explanation is nice, but I just want to get back to my regular routines already.

It's finally spring and I want to start running again.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    tynic
    i think my roommate ate a bunch of my thin mint ice cream and hooooo boy am i mad

i guess on the plus side he stopped me from eating half a pint of ice cream just now but

fuck dat i wanna be fat when i wanna be fat and it was MY THIN MINT ICE CREAM

poo
    Peter EbelSlacker71
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Today was heelllllll in trapeze. Some ankle hangs/beats (they really hurt a lot and feel unstable as hell) and some flexibility stuff that I am shit at.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    JihadJesus wrote: »

if you don't like running there are many other things you can do

i hate running! so i do other things
    Yeah. Problem is other things cost money or aren't available. Like, I'd fucking love crossfit. And maybe when I start crapping money I'll join a crossfit gym, or outfit my garage to lift in.

Until then, I'm horribly out of shape. So I'm working on the running.

• AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I know it get's shared around quite a bit around here, but what about something like this?

I say this as someone who runs regularly and enjoys it. If you hate it, there are other things you can do. And as a plus, if you do want to do stuff like crossfit, this will probably condition you better than running will. And if you start to get bored, you could maybe save up a bit of money and invest in a kettlebell, and start doing kettlebell workouts. Maybe buy a skipping rope at some stage to mix things up.

This stuff doesn't have to be expensive.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    GethShazkar Shadowstorm
    Yeah, bodyweught circuits are plenty helpful! And a single kettle bell can do a lot (35 lbs is good starter weight)

I jump rope also, that's a cheap accessory

poo
    Since I'm still not performing up to scratch, I supplemented my shorter workout yesterday with a bunch of glute activation exercises

...now me butt hurts.

GethDead LegendArthilDonovan PuppyfuckerSassoriSlacker71
    Booty booty booty

poo
    ArthilBlake TDonovan PuppyfuckerLost SalientSassoriUsagiLiiya
    i have been doing a lot of things that have made my booty firm

all these split squats and reverse lunges and barbell glute bridges

it's pretty sweet

poo
    So boring at the gym today. Lifts went okay, chin ups were meh, but everything was just super fucking intensely boring. I wasn't even proper tired when I was done.

Fuck off and die.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I've been out jogging every other day this week, which has gone surprisingly well considering I haven't been jogging for like... years. I think it's cuz I'm starting early in the year and there's not so much pollen to add irritation to the asthma, and biking already got my cardio a little better off. Even did 3.2 miles a couple of days ago.

But jeez, then I started getting cocky and tried to actually run my workout course. I was able to do a mile but my lungs were swollen as hell and I was coughing fluid for the rest of the day. I definitely need an inhaler again.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    The fluid probably means your lungs have residual congestion as well (most asthmatics do). More cardio will help loosen that stuff up, so coughing up crap isn't necessarily a bad thing. I always take a 'better out than in' approach when recovering from lung infections, etc.

MadEddyLost Salient
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    finally got under 210

probably shouldnt celebrate with a pizza

FqmsaJ6.png
    Dead LegendNeurotikaMadEddyDonovan PuppyfuckerLabelAngelinaLiiyaBé ChuilleDoctorArchPresident EvilShenSlacker71
    I am cursed (lazy)! Gonna have to go do hill sprints instead of lifting today because I have the time managing skill of a small monkey. A fitting torment.

Fuck off and die.
    AJR wrote: »
    I know it get's shared around quite a bit around here, but what about something like this?

I say this as someone who runs regularly and enjoys it. If you hate it, there are other things you can do. And as a plus, if you do want to do stuff like crossfit, this will probably condition you better than running will. And if you start to get bored, you could maybe save up a bit of money and invest in a kettlebell, and start doing kettlebell workouts. Maybe buy a skipping rope at some stage to mix things up.

This stuff doesn't have to be expensive.
    Really, two reasons. Weights works for me because of the psychology - the squat bar feel heavy as shit and the process hurts, but I only have to focus on lifting it maybe 5 times, and once it's out of the rack I'm committed. Running hurts and goes on forever and I could just...stop. Circuit training is kind of the same to me.

Second, I do want to be in better cardiovascular shape just for health and quality of life reasons. I've always been okay in anaerobic fitness, and even now as an absolute lard ass over 30 I recover pretty quick.

I think that's actually part of the reason I've flamed out on C25K. As I understand it, the walking periods in the early weeks aren't supposed to be rest periods really; your heart rate should stay up, you're just training it with some walking since you can't jog without jacking up your heart rate to quickly. I can walk as briskly as I can, and my heart rate drops like a rock during those walking periods., but then I hit like week 4 where it jumps to longer periods of running and my body is just not adapted the way it's supposed to be based on the program design to handle it.

This discussion has been closed.