As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    AJR wrote: »
    I know it get's shared around quite a bit around here, but what about something like this?

I say this as someone who runs regularly and enjoys it. If you hate it, there are other things you can do. And as a plus, if you do want to do stuff like crossfit, this will probably condition you better than running will. And if you start to get bored, you could maybe save up a bit of money and invest in a kettlebell, and start doing kettlebell workouts. Maybe buy a skipping rope at some stage to mix things up.

This stuff doesn't have to be expensive.
    Really, two reasons. Weights works for me because of the psychology - the squat bar feel heavy as shit and the process hurts, but I only have to focus on lifting it maybe 5 times, and once it's out of the rack I'm committed. Running hurts and goes on forever and I could just...stop. Circuit training is kind of the same to me.

Second, I do want to be in better cardiovascular shape just for health and quality of life reasons. I've always been okay in anaerobic fitness, and even now as an absolute lard ass over 30 I recover pretty quick.

I think that's actually part of the reason I've flamed out on C25K. As I understand it, the walking periods in the early weeks aren't supposed to be rest periods really; your heart rate should stay up, you're just training it with some walking since you can't jog without jacking up your heart rate to quickly. I can walk as briskly as I can, and my heart rate drops like a rock during those walking periods., but then I hit like week 4 where it jumps to longer periods of running and my body is just not adapted the way it's supposed to be based on the program design to handle it.

So taper the program more gradually?

tynicLost Salient
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    http://www.elitefts.com/education/training/bodybuilding/epoc-the-secret-to-fat-destruction/

This is a good article that has some basic layman science but is a good way to get away from steady state cardio, if that's your thing

I did it steadily for about 6 weeks and got some good results (264-->251 today) and I'm about to start up on it again. My lifting got all thrown out of whack because life got in the way, but keeping my daily steps > 10,000 plus the few lifts I'd work in and some carries or drags worked real well

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    Donovan PuppyfuckerKakodaimonos
  • Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Went for a gym assessment tonight and my body fat % was grim. But he did teach me proper technique for deadlifts, squatting with a bar and a few other things.

My diet has improved vastly in the last few weeks and now it's time to get my fitness level back to something that's not totally awful. I've lost 2.5kg since I had my teeth out just over 3 weeks ago, so I am making progress. I just need to give myself more credit for it instead of expecting miracles.

Peter EbelTheCanManDonovan Puppyfucker
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any experience with stretch marks? I'll dropped ~40lbs and 8" off my pant's waist since my weight peaked at 230lbs. I feel great about the progress I've made so far, but now the stretch marks on my stomach and the inside of my arms are becoming really noticeable. Is there anything I can do about them or is it just a consequence of my poor decision making that I'm going to have to live with? I thought about googling it, but before I start slathering myself with god knows what I figured I'd ask people I trust.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I've seen people recommend rubbing cocoa butter and other lotions on it, as well as bulking and refilling the loose skin with gainz/muscle.

But at the very least, it's something you might have to be okay with living with.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Liiya
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Yeah cocoa butter is what I've heard, but make sure its cocoa butter, not just a moisturiser that contains cocoa because its easy to confuse!

tynic
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    http://www.elitefts.com/education/training/bodybuilding/epoc-the-secret-to-fat-destruction/

This is a good article that has some basic layman science but is a good way to get away from steady state cardio, if that's your thing

I did it steadily for about 6 weeks and got some good results (264-->251 today) and I'm about to start up on it again. My lifting got all thrown out of whack because life got in the way, but keeping my daily steps > 10,000 plus the few lifts I'd work in and some carries or drags worked real well

I've found that going with a cardio program like this worked best to cut weight while keeping my max lifts up.

Dead Legend
    Straight honest truth? Nothing helped my stretch marks, they've just faded away to almost invisible over time.

They now reckon how much of them you get is a genetic thing. learn to love them!

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Stretch marks just fade over time. I had a friend who got them pretty badly when he lost weight, and they're gone now.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Stretch marks fade, but never go away. They're like cellulite in that there's nothing that's proven to work on them, though I will totally be first in line when someone invents something that does.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    PsykomaSlacker71
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My stretch marks took about 4 years to fade to a point where they were only visible from like 3 feet away; they've stayed about the same since then and I'm okay with it.

Well that's not what I wanted to hear. You've failed me internet! I came in here expecting to get a miracle cure and you can't even give me that.

Seriously though thanks for the reality check, everyone. Guess it's time to start stocking up on cocoa butter and tempered expectations.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Incorporate them into a tattoo.

Donovan PuppyfuckerUsagiMadEddy
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    That's your solution to everything.

Blake T on
    tynic
    It's why my teeth have a brown paisley pattern and I haven't seen a dentist in over ten years.

SassoriMadEddyNeurotikaJihadJesus
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That's not a traditional pattern at all!

tynic wrote: »
    Incorporate them into a tattoo.

I...eh...I'm not nearly manly enough to pull off a waste-line belly tattoo. I guess I only have one option.
    ADqdP1P.jpg

tynicNeurotikaLost SalientMadEddySlacker71AngelinaKana
    I mean, we've all heard that Katt Williams bit about how stretch marks usually signify one of two things; that you were once thin but got fat, or were once fat but got thin.

My stretch marks are at my like gut level and on my shoulders (from a growth spurt, presumably). Maybe on my butt, but I rarely look at my own. At a certain point, eh.*

*Reactions may vary.

steam_sig.png

edited April 2015
    ... Or that you're a girl who got boobs and hips, or a guy who got tall. Any body parts growing fast are in danger of stretch marks. You can't really intuit shit all from them.

tynic on
    PsykomaKwoaruUsagiLiiyaBé ChuilleMadEddyLost SalientAngelinaKakodaimonosDonovan PuppyfuckerThe Betgirl
    Driving a manual after doing a leg session is horrible. Clutching buuuuurned.

On the upside I took the excuse to have chocolate milk!

... Or that you're a girl who got boobs and hips, or a guy who got tall. Any body parts growing fast are in danger of stretch marks. You can't really intuit shit all from them.

Right, which is why I feel like at a certain point, stretch marks don't matter. Not trying to shame anybody; they're just stretch marks.

steam_sig.png

tynicLiiyaAngelina
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Driving a manual after doing a leg session is horrible. Clutching buuuuurned.

On the upside I took the excuse to have chocolate milk!

Chocolate milk needs no excuse.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Slacker71Shazkar ShadowstormDonovan Puppyfucker
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Definitely going to start jumping rope on my off days from the gym then, think I've even got one lying around the house.

First step is to be able to do 5 in a row without tripping myself though :P

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

Yeah i just grew real fast so my back looks like I suffered some horrific abuse growing up. But nope. Just growing

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    Kana
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Definitely going to start jumping rope on my off days from the gym then, think I've even got one lying around the house.

First step is to be able to do 5 in a row without tripping myself though :P

Focus on a fixed point on the floor or wall, try not to get too excited when you make it past 5. I know the feeling, when I start jumping rope and don't mess up for a while I'm like yeah I'm good! Then I trip up

Inquisitor
    I've been working on my double unders this past month. They're not easy at 230 lbs, but I can get them on every 3rd or so pass. I suspect it will be a while until I can just pump them out consecutively though. Also I didn't learn how to jump rope until I was nearing my 30s.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So dieting question:

I've resolved to eat healthier, bought a nice rice cooker/steamer for easy prep of rice and other leaner carbs/veggies/etc, but I'm a little tripped up on beverages. Definitely been drinking lots more water, and it will be the majority, but there are times when it's just boring. I'm trying to quit soda, down to one a day, but sometimes I get so bored with plain water. Is gatorade actually healthy or is it all marketing bs? I also know there are powder/liquid additives and flavorings, but a lot of them seem really high in sugar, or taste horrible. Suggestions that you've enjoyed would be lovely.

Javen wrote: »
    So dieting question:

I've resolved to eat healthier, bought a nice rice cooker/steamer for easy prep of rice and other leaner carbs/veggies/etc, but I'm a little tripped up on beverages. Definitely been drinking lots more water, and it will be the majority, but there are times when it's just boring. I'm trying to quit soda, down to one a day, but sometimes I get so bored with plain water. Is gatorade actually healthy or is it all marketing bs? I also know there are powder/liquid additives and flavorings, but a lot of them seem really high in sugar, or taste horrible. Suggestions that you've enjoyed would be lovely.

Gatorade is not healthy. It is mostly sugar. It does have its place if you're performing heavy exercise. It's also good if you have a hangover.

But in no way is it a health drink. I'll drink a glass of chocolate milk for sweet cravings. Drink tea or coffee to switch it up?

You can definitely add lemon or lime slices to your water. That helps a lot.

LiiyaMadEddy
    Maybe a fruit infuser bottle would be handy to take to work?

Dead Legend
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Stuff like cucumber in water is also nice. There's a world of herbal teas that won't get you caffeine loco but are a nice switch from water, you can do hot or iced.

And diet soda won't kill you, don't go nuts but if you just need a break it's ok.

I thought of diet, but I'd rather a clean break from soda to break the habit. Unfortunately milk doesn't agree with me as much as it did, so that's out as well. I'm kind of screwed because I really like sweet drinks, but that seems really hard to do without copious amounts of sugar. I also don't care for coffee or tea, or hot drinks in general, but I could probably try homebrewed iced tea.

Iced tea with some kind of sweetener, or maybe unsweetened but with a dash of juice? I do the latter a lot in summer, maybe half a cup of raspberry juice to a jug of iced tea.

Usagi
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I usually drink one cup of coffee a day, black. Helps break up just having water all the time, and its basically zero calories if you put nothing in it. Sometimes I get something like a double tall iced latte, plain though, no flavors added. Only calories in that are coming from the milk and milk in moderation is some good stuff.

It did take some time for me to get a plate that enjoys undoctored coffee though.

Inquisitor on
    @Javen I can't drink milk or eat ice cream without paying the consequences later, but I've got a thing for Mootopia which is lactose free and brand specific to my local grocery store, but if you can find something similar it is delicious.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was also throwing around the idea of getting a tap water filter but @Sheri mentioned that our water is so full of crap that it wears down the filter in no time at all

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    sparkling water mixed with juice? Not sure what that is called in english. Spritzer maybe?

Javen wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was also throwing around the idea of getting a tap water filter but @Sheri mentioned that our water is so full of crap that it wears down the filter in no time at all

The pitchers work pretty well. It's a minor inconvenience to have to refill constantly, but they last longer compared to having water regularly flow through the tap

Donovan PuppyfuckerKana
    I just drink the tap water and try not to think about what's in it.

I drink tap water, but I am very lucky that where I live it comes from the hills and tastes lovely. I always forget that it can taste nasty other places.

This discussion has been closed.