As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    But my fears for Towns 2 would be that the vast majority of people into that kind of game on Steam already bought Towns 1 so there wouldn't be many copies sold if he gave away the sequel to owners of the first. There's so few town-builder games each year that people who are into them tend to buy all of them.

All I can think of in recent memory are:
    Anno 2070
    Tropico 4
    Towns
    Maia (Early Access)
    That game that I can never remember the name of but everyone lives in log cabins and it's graphically amazing considering it was made by one guy but then everyone dies of starvation and old age because they forgot to have children and are too old to work the farms.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I couldn't resist that Sonic bundle. My backlog weeps.

It seems that I just pushed myself over 100 games on Steam. 108, in total. I told myself it would never get to this point. I wasn't going to be one of those people.

One hundred and eight, games, uh.

That's an inauspicious number. Can't have that.

You should check your PMs.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    TPSou wrote: »
    But my fears for Towns 2 would be that the vast majority of people into that kind of game on Steam already bought Towns 1 so there wouldn't be many copies sold if he gave away the sequel to owners of the first. There's so few town-builder games each year that people who are into them tend to buy all of them.

All I can think of in recent memory are:
    Anno 2070
    Tropico 4
    Towns
    Maia (Early Access)
    That game that I can never remember the name of but everyone lives in log cabins and it's graphically amazing considering it was made by one guy but then everyone dies of starvation and old age because they forgot to have children and are too old to work the farms.

Banished.

Also why couldn't you have said Bound by Flame was boring and derivative? No, you had to say it was fun and gave you Witcher vibes.

Jerk.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BanterMeisterJPBanterMeisterJP EnglandRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/217154/Steam_Early_Access_game_Towns_abandoned_by_devs.php

That's pretty lame. I put in a ticket for a refund but I'm not really hopeful.

I think the worst thing about all this is that it is still on sale. I'm hopeful that early adopters get some sort of rebate for this.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I think the real kicker for the whole thing, is they are suggesting making a sequel, when the dev stopped development on it in the first place because he plain just didnt feel like working on it anymore. Why should anyone buy another early access product(I think we can assume it would be if they make a sequel) from you, ever?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Hello hello!

I always enjoy lurking through the thread, even if it moves way too fast to keep up...

signature.png

Open to the G&T Adventure group. Huzzah!

(The options when creating the giveaway are a bit unclear, so to clarify, the giveaway is the game + bonus content)

FWIW, I've really enjoyed the game, it's kinda like platforming with the lovechild of Super Hexagon and Super Meat Boy (sortof maybe?)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Houn wrote: »
    The reason you're haven't seen/heard anything is because Bound by Flame is under press embargo until the 9th. Generally, press embargos make me wary, but you already bought it, so... let us all know, please?

That would make sense, yes. And if no one of a better creative writing talent reports back first, I will gladly write up some impressions.

played about 2-3 hours so far I think and it was awesome. Definitely a Witcher vibe to it.

Well, that just validated my impulse buy somewhat.

The Brayster on
    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    just bought the sonic bundle on humble, and they're out of keys :(

I was really looking forward to get my super fast hedgehog action this morning, too.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014

It seems that I just pushed myself over 100 games on Steam. 108, in total. I told myself it would never get to this point. I wasn't going to be one of those people.

It may have been my utter Nintendo fanboyism as a youth, but I have played all of 1 Sonic game, for 2 levels on the old Game Gear, and that only because it was the game that came with the system. Then I plugged in Castle of Illusion, Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya or Defenders of Oasis and never looked back.

I suppose at some point I might try to give Sonic another chance . . . some day.

Edit: It hurts me to watch the video of Total Biscuit trying to play Darksiders II with a keyboard and mouse . . . then again, I am a console fan at heart.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Definitely a Witcher vibe to it.
    La La La I can't hear you.
    I'm sure it's terrible and I have no need of it. I need to finish, like 60 other games. Which is probably an understatement rather than an exaggeration.

• Options
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Definitely a Witcher vibe to it.
    La La La I can't hear you.
    I'm sure it's terrible and I have no need of it. I need to finish, like 60 other games. Which is probably an understatement rather than an exaggeration.

My vote for the next "Extra" button (as much as I love Hail Hydra!) is "Agree Harder".

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I did spend a little time with Daylight last night. I probably would not recommend it unless A it was super cheap and B you've already exhausted the better crafted scary games out there. It sort of has the feel of a quick attempt to get in on some of that scary game buzz that was going on. It's big feature is sort randomizing the placement of the objects you're going to need and the layout of the place, but that just sort of leads to it not feeling very well put together I guess. Outlast is a good scary game, but even then if you get stuck and killed repeatedly you can kind of lose that fear factor that makes it all work for a bit. Daylight makes that jump a lot faster.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Bummer on Towns. It feels like a safety net should be in place for things like this - maybe similar to Kickstarter they could hold the funds on Early Access games until the game is officially released. That way you're not allowing people to use Early Access to fund something they couldn't normally afford to make. Or is it already that way? Do we know if developers get paid for Beta purchases?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I have to assume they do. Otherwise there's next to no reason to put a game in the program.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Bummer on Towns. It feels like a safety net should be in place for things like this - maybe similar to Kickstarter they could hold the funds on Early Access games until the game is officially released. That way you're not allowing people to use Early Access to fund something they couldn't normally afford to make. Or is it already that way? Do we know if developers get paid for Beta purchases?

I can't imagine they don't. It's probably why they go with that instead of Kickstarter (or I imagine a few have gone with Kickstarter then 'double dipped' with early access).

Its a really tough situation for Valve. If they set up a 'bank' where they mete out funds to protect themselves, it's effectively making them a publisher for all those games and there's a headache of issues that come along with that. Plus, I'm sure theres lots of regulatory issues with being a funds manager that they have no interest in dealing with.

But at the same time, they're the ones getting screwed with this happens and they get a flood of (valid) refund demands. I know there's plenty of disclaimers on the Early Access program, and I've always been of the stance of "Buy the game you see, and not the one you expect to see" for early access, but it is still a risky proposition for gamers.

EDIT: I would hate to see Early Access go away though; for every shitty situation like this there's a dozen others that make good on their promises and fully support and develop their games. It sucks that games that Earth 2066 are making a bad name for the program, and for small indies (sometimes individual developers), who are probably going to eat the backlash more than anyone, for simply trying to make people happy. :(

EDIT2: Towns wasn't ever Early Access.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

One hundred and eight, games, uh.

That's an inauspicious number. Can't have that.

You should check your PMs.

You're right, 109 is a much better number. Thanks for Aces Wild!

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm of two minds about it. One one hand I don't want to punish small studios who genuinely listen to feedback and finish their game. On the other hand, I don't want to walk into any store and buy an incomplete product. If I have to pick a system that I like I think that Dinosaur Polo Club (which is, I think, just two guys in New Zealand) is doing a great job with Mini Metro. They're offering pre-orders through a HumbleBundle widget and the alpha is available for free for everybody (regardless of whether you've pre-ordered) to play in your browser or download as a stand-alone.

So I guess I kinda want to see it go away. The early access games that I have (I think it might just be Invisible, Inc.) are more pre-orders than me actually playing early versions anyway.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Oh hey, apparently Cortex Command got a big update last month, including squad mechanics, improved AI, and Steam Workshop integration. It also has achievements and cards now!

edit: gonna go blow shit up for awhile now
    rocketboom.gif

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Part of it, I think, is that the early access games should basically be cheaper than the final game. Like, quite a bit cheaper. Because otherwise the developers get all the money they want and it's the question of, "why keep making the game if it's already earned this much as an unpolished work?".

As an artist I know I can't charge as much for a pencil sketch as a full color sketch, or as much for a full color sketch as a final painting. If I could, the chance of me doing final paintings for anyone would be nil, because I'd want to maximize the time I spent vs the money that was coming in, at the end of the day. And after a while that would make me weary because it would turn what I love into a min-max game of, "least work and energy for the most pay".

I suppose my point being that the more work has invested in it, the more rewarding it feels when it's done, or at least that's my experience. Also, that having the more rewarding experience for me be the more valued one (even if it's just in the value of praise) does more to reinforce my desire to work on more projects to their completion.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I mainly avoid early access simply because of my own playstyle. I know I'm super unlikely to go back and play a game again once it's "done". I think it's pretty much along the same lines of the Kickstarter boom. There's going to be a lot of junk for every precious gem. You don't want the gems to not happen or go away, it's good that these systems make new things possible. But in both cases there was serious lack of buyer beware in people's minds. And it's tough to break down in the same way you do a finished game. You get impressions and reviews of a finished game. With Early Access and Kickstarter so much of it is the idea or the promise of a game. It's a work in progress which cuts down on any precise criticism. So there'll be a weird adjustment period, maybe even a backlash for a while. Then it'll settle down a bit.

It's not like we havent had to balance developer's excitement and exuberence for their unfinished game/game previews versus the reality of the finished product before. (Glances over at Mr Molyneux) The difference now is we can outright buy it when it's still in that pie in the sky best game ever imaginary state.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Watching the Doublefine Broken Age documentary videos (which are great btw) it is weird to watch their expectations with how that game is going to sell. They made a ton of money upfront from the kickstarter. Far more than they would have expected, so they ballooned the scope of the game, understandably. Then they essentially kept selling it post kickstarter by letting people paypal into it etc. Then they realized maybe they overdid it and were going to have capital issues to get the project all the way to the finish line. So they worked on getting other little revenue bumps out there. Brutal Age on PC, stuff like that. Then they basically early accessed it. Or Rather Walking Dead like episode structure put out the first half of the game, with the second eventual half part of what you were buying. Figuring the sales from that could then carry them through to the finish line. In the videos it really seems like they thought that was going to bring in a second windfall because now they could sell the game. But they already had sold it. To a lot of people. The majority of their base who had interest in it had already been given a ton of opportunities to buy it. So sales were not where they expected it to be. There's some learning curve elements on both sides for the new models of Early Access and Kickstarter.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Maybe they just need a huge disclaimer on Early Access pages (bigger than the thing that's already there I guess) saying "YOU ARE PAYING FOR THE GAME YOU SEE HERE RIGHT NOW, NOT THE GAME YOU'RE HOPING TO GET. PLAN AND DECIDE ACCORDINGLY".

And on the back-end of it with the developer, Valve needs (if they don't already) a clause that says "If this game doesn't get a full release, or is obviously shat out, we are within our rights to take legal action against the developer(s) to recoup any money we lose in refunds"

The problem is that it's easy to see Towns and Earth 2066 and be all:
    body_snatchers.jpg

But you don't see a lot of articles on sites talking about successful Early Access games. I haven't seen a "Developer Amplitude provided yet another excellent update for Dungeon of the Endless Early Access Game" anytime ever. I know, good news isn't click-bait worthy.

I'd just hate to see the program dumped for the few shiteheads out there and lose the chance to get some real gems like Dungeon of the Endless, Rust, and others.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Whether or not Early Access works completely depends on the developer. Squad, who does Kerbal, have more than proven their commitment. Same with the guy who did Starbound. These indie developers obviously have proven an ability to manage the business aspects of game development (in other words, don't blow all the early adopter's cash on hookers and blow).

Same with the established developers who are also working with Early Access. Amplitude studios have proven their mettle, and the chances of Stardock not completing Galactic Civilization 3 is very nearly zero.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I haven't tried to search this but what are some games that have made it past Early Access?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Oh yeah that too. Early Access is evil and Kickstarter duped you are much bigger stories. And you ARE told with Kickstarter that you're not really guaranteed a darn thing. But people weren't really paying attention to that.
    There's been a number of early access titles that I was perfectly happy with them as they currently were to play through and enjoy. Like Don't Starve. That was enough of a game as it was for quite a while and got more and more as it went. If something is in a super rough bare shell of a game state, you might want to hold off unless you know and want to support that particular developer or game idea with some understanding that it may not work out great.

But that Towns post is super rotten. Even including in there that hey we're gonna start Towns 2? That's incredibly tone deaf. I guess I have no idea how much of a game Towns already was or wasn't.

• Options
    I haven't tried to search this but what are some games that have made it past Early Access?

Dunno if there's a list, but off the top of my head I can think of Skulls of the Shogun, State of Decay, Don't Starve, DOTA2, ARMA3, FTL, M&MX, and I'm sure there are more.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Those are some pretty decent games of which I own a few. It's nice to know that it can work out really well.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

State of Decay was early access. State of Decay is a regular release now. State of Decay is awesome.

I kind of like State of Decay. Perhaps I have mentioned this before?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I'm sad I missed that sale a few weeks back on State of Decay when it was like $7 or whatever. Hopefully if we get a spring sale it'll be a good price.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Okay, I know I'm always doing this, but the Humble Store has the new Space Hulk for £4.50 (what's that, like $7?)
    It's a great virtual representation of the board game. Stomping about with terminators, backing slowly down a looooong hallway, filling it with flames as the horde of alien abominations hurtle toward you. Setting up perfect fire lanes, destroying hundreds of creatures, then hearing the sound of a jam that ends your fire and gets your squad torn apart.

Oh, and they have a multiplayer versus mode too, asynchronous - I'd love to play some of that if anyone's game (@Drake ?)

It's usually a rather ridiculous £23, and I have trouble recommending it at that price, but for £4.50 , get into your terminator armour, strap on a storm bolter, and cleanse some xeno filth.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I feel bad saying it (re: Don't Starve), but the difference there is that Klei is a real studio known to produce good things.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Dunno if there's a list, but off the top of my head I can think of Skulls of the Shogun, State of Decay, Don't Starve, DOTA2, ARMA3, FTL, M&MX, and I'm sure there are more.

There's this one small game that came out called Minecraft, you might have heard about it? It was early access too. So was Cortex Command (which like I said above just got another update). And also Mount and Blade.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I feel weird being apparently the only person on this side, but a few success stories doesn't mean that the system isn't broken just like a few failures doesn't mean the system is.

Selling incomplete products is a weird thing for a legitimate store to do. It feels less weird to me than selling pre-orders because (at least in my head) by the time you're taking pre-orders you're reasonably confident that you've got a good product and a release schedule ready to go.

Equating Early Access to Kickstarter makes sense to me, but I use both the same way. I've Kickstarted one thing (a set of card games that are using the funds for game manufacture as they're already designed and done), and I've Early Accessed one thing (Invisible, Inc.) because it was an easy way to pre-order the game.

Knowing that software projects can go bad, particularly when they're one or two guys in their garage, I wouldn't ever finance something that I couldn't try first. And even then, it's got to be damn cheap to get me to jump in.

Also, it seems weird that some of these (at least FTL) got funding on Kickstarter and then found they needed more so went Early Access. Don't get me wrong, I love FTL and am glad that it's such a good product, but that decision has "you're never seeing a completed game" written all over it.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    jclast wrote: »
    I feel bad saying it (re: Don't Starve), but the difference there is that Klei is a real studio known to produce good things.

Eh, given how transient and 'seasonal' the games industry is these days with many programmers and developers, having a studio label doesn't mean as much as it used to. It is no guarantee that you're getting the same developers and producers, programmers or artists, it just means you're getting the illusion of comfort from the name. Just because the box says Gearbox, you don't know if you're getting Borderlands or Colonial Marines.

EDIT: I'm not trying to say track records aren't important, and it's typically less enticing to buy into an early game from a developer (individual or group) who have no experience, and nothing to show for their past work; I'm just saying establishment isn't always quality. Also shit tons of our most well regarded developers were picked up from making mods or small little games, there's no reason Early Access can't be another avenue for that sort of recruitment.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options

Skulls of the Shogun was a port though, right? It released on XBLA and Windows Phone or something like that? Different circumstances and all that, but if you Early Access that, you were just pre-ordering the port.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Okay, I know I'm always doing this, but the Humble Store has the new Space Hulk for £4.50 (what's that, like $7?)
    It's a great virtual representation of the board game. Stomping about with terminators, backing slowly down a looooong hallway, filling it with flames as the horde of alien abominations hurtle toward you. Setting up perfect fire lanes, destroying hundreds of creatures, then hearing the sound of a jam that ends your fire and gets your squad torn apart.

Oh, and they have a multiplayer versus mode too, asynchronous - I'd love to play some of that if anyone's game (@Drake ?)

It's usually a rather ridiculous £23, and I have trouble recommending it at that price, but for £4.50 , get into your terminator armour, strap on a storm bolter, and cleanse some xeno filth.

Asynchronous multiplayer? Really..... :D

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

Skulls of the Shogun was a port though, right? It released on XBLA and Windows Phone or something like that? Different circumstances and all that, but if you Early Access that, you were just pre-ordering the port.

Well, for this game specifically 17bit didn't exactly have a smooth ride in initial development, and a PC port was never a given. Since the game was fully complete at the time, yeah, it's not nearly as likely it would have dropped support in early access, but at the same time due to previous arrangements with Microsoft, they probably needed the financial support that Early Access brought during testing.

So it was effectively a beta, sure, but I guess I don't see the problem or disconnect with that given the purpose of the program.

• Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    So, Bundlestars has a new bundle:
    $3.99 gets you:

Rescue: Everyday Heroes (US Edition)
    Gray Matter
    Infinite Space III: Sea of Stars
    QuestRun
    Gomo
    Hotel Collector's Edition
    Fortrix 2
    CT Special Forces: Fire for Effect
    Adventure Park
    Zooloretto

All steam keys.

• Options
    @jclast, your problem with early access is the same problem people commonly bring up with "open beta" F2P MMOGs, that being the selling or gaining of money via a product that strictly speaking isn't finished yet and quite possibly has a load of bugs to work out before it should be released. Some folks get pissed as hell about it, in fact, feeling as though they were paying for a full game, while others feel that the game needs the stream of revenue to continue to develop.

I personally want to wait until a game has at least a first, stable release, even if they upgrade/patch/expand the game later with more stuff, but I know I'm not the only type of player, and so Early access is fine for me. However, it would be nice for both the developer and the customer if there was a bit more transparency in what exactly "Early Access" means. Because to the layman, that sounds like getting in to a concert early to get the best seats, a reward for "getting there first", and Steam's early access is more like getting to the music venue 3 months before the band's gig even starts, and they might have to cancel, and the venue is being renovated so the chairs are all missing.

Basically, I like the idea of Early Access games for other players, but think that "Help With Construction" would be a better name for it. ;)

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Whether or not Early Access works completely depends on the developer. Squad, who does Kerbal, have more than proven their commitment. Same with the guy who did Starbound. These indie developers obviously have proven an ability to manage the business aspects of game development (in other words, don't blow all the early adopter's cash on hookers and blow).

Same with the established developers who are also working with Early Access. Amplitude studios have proven their mettle, and the chances of Stardock not completing Galactic Civilization 3 is very nearly zero.

To be fair though, Kerbal is one of the absolute best examples of how early access goes right, and it's been in a state that could be sold as a finished product for a good while, so it's almost crowdfunded expansions than early access at this point - it's not version 1 yet, but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.