As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] thread gifting, like drunk Twister, doesn't really have a firm set of rules.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So people being into Crusader Kings 2 got me looking into Paradox's stuff and now I am pretty intrigued by Europa Universalis 4, which has a setting and focus that seems more my thing over CK2.

Still need to figure out if my machine can run the game but, I noticed it had a ton of DLC and an expansion or two? Any of that worth grabbing as a first time player or should I just play the base game first?

EU4 is fantastic and I can wholeheartedly recommend buying it. The two are very different games - CK2 is all about playing the individual, EU4 is all about playing the nation, from 1444 to about 1820-ish (I have never gotten that far, I normally get to about mid-1700's before I decide to start over with a new nation).

The DLC is by and large cosmetic, mostly re-skins for various units, background music etc. Conquest of Paradise is the only major gameplay DLC out right now, which allows the player to choose to randomize the landmass of the Americas, so that as a European colonial power you can't just sail into Terra Incognita knowing that your'e gonna turn up in Mexico or wherever. It also adds more functions to playing the native tribes, so they're not quite as boring to play anymore.

The next DLC is Wealth of Nations, which I think is coming out very soon, which improves on the trading system with more depth and new casus belli and trade companies (though, this may not seem like anything of significance to you until you play the base game)

There's also a CK2-EU4 import tool, so if you find yourself attached to the realm you carved out for yourself you can import the save into EU4 and continue

I have spent what must be closing on 200 hours in the game by now, so if you have any questions or need any advice once you get started, let me know, I'm willing to assist.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    CK2 is a bit more explosive than EU IV, inheritance laws mean that in CK2 the world can take extremely wild turns. EU IV is a bit more controlled, borders may shift, and colonies are a big deal, but for the most part the nations of the world remain roughly where they are.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Found out my manager at work had steam. He didn't know what Bad Rats was.

He does now.

:( Start updating your resume.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    I can't believe I live in an age in which people pitch a fit for a year's worth of dev work costing $5 instead of being alms.
    Then for your mental health's sake stay completely away from the Steam forums.
    No, seriously. While checking the post I quoted I caught a glimpse of people whose reaction to the QUBE dev's generosity was complaining because they didn't want to have two separate copies of the game (the original one and the new DC one) on Steam due to some nonsense related to achievements score (they demanded the DC to be added as a DLC to the original version).

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Information update on Q.U.B.E Director's Cut from one of the developers (taken from the Steam forums):
    Shred Head [developer]
    Hey guys, we've received tons of emails asking for game keys, which will take some time to go through. So instead of sending a game key to each person, we're looking to make the game free for all existing players. To let you know, putting a price tag on the game for previous owners was never a scam opportunity (we also hate those things) but a business decision that has clearly turned out to be a mistake. We would rather have a bunch of happy fans that enjoy playing our games so thanks for letting us know that we screwed up. We'll make sure we inform the community before we make any rash decisions in the future. Regarding having Director's Cut as dlc, we'll see if we can merge that with the original but can't promise anything just yet.
    We've contacted Valve to make the game free for existing users so it should pop up in your Steam library early next week. We'll keep you posted and put a sticky up when it’s ready.

A far classier move than most of the Steam community deserves. I saw a similar uproar occur over Toy Soldiers: Complete which went up for early access a few months ago at a discounted price of $9.99. Their crime was that, despite the game has all the content from Toy Soldiers' sequel (Cold War), it was a ripoff because it was going to contain all the content from the original game as well and thus "we're paying for stuff we already have!" Those demands seem to have died down and I don't think Signal Studios caved to them, which is just as well.

Based on reading the forums, it seems like the game still needs some work before it's ready for prime time. I love the Toy Soldiers games, so I hope everything goes well for them.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    What the hell is the secret to playing local multiplayer with two Xbox controllers and not having Steam absolutely shit the bed? Every time I try the thing glitches out like I can't even believe.

Are they both wired? I've never had a problem with 2 wireless controllers connected to the same USB dongle.

Yes, both wired. Am I supposed to set up another player p[profile for the other controller or something?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Guys, FRACT OSC is amazing.

It's like a mix between Myst and Tron set inside a synthesizer.

It's fairly short, but the best part. The single best, most amazing part is that solving puzzles unlocks tools in a studio. This lets you make rad synth tunes like these two i made yesterday to practice.

And you can record them and put 'em on youtube super easily.

Why did only 4 people on my list buy it and why haven't they spent more time on this?

Making synth tunes is so damn rad! :open_mouth:

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So people being into Crusader Kings 2 got me looking into Paradox's stuff and now I am pretty intrigued by Europa Universalis 4, which has a setting and focus that seems more my thing over CK2.

Still need to figure out if my machine can run the game but, I noticed it had a ton of DLC and an expansion or two? Any of that worth grabbing as a first time player or should I just play the base game first?

EU4 is fantastic and I can wholeheartedly recommend buying it. The two are very different games - CK2 is all about playing the individual, EU4 is all about playing the nation, from 1444 to about 1820-ish (I have never gotten that far, I normally get to about mid-1700's before I decide to start over with a new nation).

The DLC is by and large cosmetic, mostly re-skins for various units, background music etc. Conquest of Paradise is the only major gameplay DLC out right now, which allows the player to choose to randomize the landmass of the Americas, so that as a European colonial power you can't just sail into Terra Incognita knowing that your'e gonna turn up in Mexico or wherever. It also adds more functions to playing the native tribes, so they're not quite as boring to play anymore.

The next DLC is Wealth of Nations, which I think is coming out very soon, which improves on the trading system with more depth and new casus belli and trade companies (though, this may not seem like anything of significance to you until you play the base game)

There's also a CK2-EU4 import tool, so if you find yourself attached to the realm you carved out for yourself you can import the save into EU4 and continue

I have spent what must be closing on 200 hours in the game by now, so if you have any questions or need any advice once you get started, let me know, I'm willing to assist.

I ended up picking it up after messing around in the demo and watching a couple videos.

Still getting the ropes, messed around briefly with starting off as a small province with the goal of founding the Netherlands but that seems to be biting off more than I can chew. I think I may try the other half of my heritage next and try starting off as Castile.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    @akajaybay‌ just sniped me with Guilty Gear Isuka and Blade Princess. I do not feel that such unprovoked anime can go without response

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I fired up arkham origins and it totally scratched an itch I didn't even realize I was having. I gotta say the death stroke fight made me a lot better at the combat system and appreciate the bat law slam though. That was frustrating at first till I slowed down.

I picked it up on sale a while ago and grabbed the season pass too. I see the mr freeze dlc in the start menu but how do I access the initiation one? And are they both best done after endgame?

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    If you buy a game on amazon that says "available only to customers in the United States with a US billing address," are you still able to gift it out to non US people after the fact, will steam still redeem the key for them? As far as I can tell this isn't one of the games that has multiple versions due to censorship or anything like that.

Most of the time there's no problem, many people here have done that and even people outside the US can buy them with a simple address change.
    There are very few US region locked keys on Amazon, I think Dead Island Riptide was one of them, can't remember if there are more.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I fired up arkham origins and it totally scratched an itch I didn't even realize I was having. I gotta say the death stroke fight made me a lot better at the combat system and appreciate the bat law slam though. That was frustrating at first till I slowed down.

I picked it up on sale a while ago and grabbed the season pass too. I see the mr freeze dlc in the start menu but how do I access the initiation one? And are they both best done after endgame?

Do you like the challenge modes? Because Initiation is just more challenge mode stuff where you can play as younger Bruce Wayne. I was pretty disappointed.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The installation sizes of Steam games in this era are starting to get to me. 4GB here, 6GB there, 20+GB more and more often. When I bought my laptop, I was well aware that it had only a 240GB SSD that was going to fill up very, very rapidly, and it has. I was also well aware that it had (well, has) an empty hard drive bay ripe for some expansion, and had been thinking of putting a mechanical hard drive in it due to size/cost ratio, as the SSD can handle the more demanding games. Payday is approaching and hopefully I'll be able to spare the money. I was looking at this. I've not installed an extra hard drive in a PC since my old 486 back in the mid '90s (when hard drives were measured in MB), excepting an instance in the mid-2000s when I had a spare PS2 hard drive literally hanging off the side of a somewhat Frankenstein'd Celeron desktop. I have also noted that, according to the BIOS, my laptop has its SSD installed in the second drive bay, not the primary.

Does that look like a decent option? Should installation be hassle-free in this era? Will the switched-around bays matter? Will I ever actually get the time/energy to play any of these hojillions of games? Can you guys save me from having to delve int othe PC build thread? Does any of this really matter? Well, yeah, it does, but you know...

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Reposting in the morning, again! It's currently a very close race, with 1 having 8 votes and 2/4 with 5 votes each. So if you haven't voted yet be sure to do so.
    Madican wrote: »
    The Steam Birthday Creature Feature contest is over! I now present six entries vying for the prize. Voting will last for a week from tomorrow, so ending 11:59 PST (PDT) on the 28th. I'll be using a standard Internet poll thing, since I am hoping no one here will attempt to cheat the results.

Please do not state which one is yours, the anonymity is intended to help ensure fair voting. Ready? Here we go! Just as a note, I'm counting the first one as a single entry since it's the same character.

1 - The Real Solaire - http://imgur.com/a/Qgwy6#0
    2 - The Bad Tooth Fairy - http://imgur.com/Lsy1kHV
    3 - The Bilious Squamonator ("Billy") - http://imgur.com/2lDaSVR
    4 - Vampire - http://imgur.com/0W42UKR
    5 - Bad Dancer - http://imgur.com/27zZNn7
    6 - Deformed - http://imgur.com/oAtlvZn

LET THE NIGHTMARES COMMENCE!

EDIT: Would help if I linked the poll wouldn't it?

http://poll.pollcode.com/52924126

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    My wife dumped a bottle of water on her laptop so unfortunately I will not be able to fund a birthday giveaway this year. Really hoping I run across a patch of four leaf clovers or something in Phoenix because it's been rough lately.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The installation sizes of Steam games in this era are starting to get to me. 4GB here, 6GB there, 20+GB more and more often. When I bought my laptop, I was well aware that it had only a 240GB SSD that was going to fill up very, very rapidly, and it has. I was also well aware that it had (well, has) an empty hard drive bay ripe for some expansion, and had been thinking of putting a mechanical hard drive in it due to size/cost ratio, as the SSD can handle the more demanding games. Payday is approaching and hopefully I'll be able to spare the money. I was looking at this. I've not installed an extra hard drive in a PC since my old 486 back in the mid '90s (when hard drives were measured in MB), excepting an instance in the mid-2000s when I had a spare PS2 hard drive literally hanging off the side of a somewhat Frankenstein'd Celeron desktop. I have also noted that, according to the BIOS, my laptop has its SSD installed in the second drive bay, not the primary.

Does that look like a decent option? Should installation be hassle-free in this era? Will the switched-around bays matter? Will I ever actually get the time/energy to play any of these hojillions of games? Can you guys save me from having to delve int othe PC build thread? Does any of this really matter? Well, yeah, it does, but you know...

Do you have a USB 3.0 port? If so, do that. Speed difference won't be noticed compared to a non-SSD drive, I've got 4TB attached to my lappy with my Steam library. Of course, my lappy's stationary tied to the 32" screen in the living room, but the point is USB 3 storage is as quick as the drive itself, and the larger form factor is super-cheap compared to the laptop-sized drives you can add internally.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Or you could delete games you don't play very often.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

Do you like the challenge modes? Because Initiation is just more challenge mode stuff where you can play as younger Bruce Wayne. I was pretty disappointed.

Ahh. I never really do many of the challenges. I mostly like the predator ones though. In fact I feel like this game has been more limited on when you can be full stealth and it's kind of sad. I got excited when they were like "you have to sneak through GCPD completely undetected," then it immediately became forced fights.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Have any of you done much of backing up Steam files? It has been running almost a full day, and is still not done with the games I selected. I've heard you can just copy/paste game files instead. Is it really that simple?

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Watchdogs can be had for £25 off cdkeysdiscount.com. uplay code and not steam but St that price, might be worth the risk of it not running well for you?

I just bought £50 worth psn points to buy it on psn but apparently it's £60 on there. Kinda annoyed now and unsure what to do. Already out of pocket 50.

£60!? That's madness.

Unfortunately, I found this out afterwards. Not happy.

£44 on Amazon, or £60 on PSN. I really love the convenience of downloading, but the prices of new AAA titles needs reducing.

Older games are better served - there are some bargains on PSN for PS3. Not quite Steam level sales, though.

I swear - if PSN games were priced like Steam, I'd need a bigger drive. And more money.

• Options
    Will a 460gtx run watch dogs? I don't remember if it's a dx11 card or not and my friend ran out yesterday to buy a new card because he said the game required 11 which may or may not be true. I haven't really looked into it?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Will a 460gtx run watch dogs? I don't remember if it's a dx11 card or not and my friend ran out yesterday to buy a new card because he said the game required 11 which may or may not be true. I haven't really looked into it?

GTX 460 is listed at the bottom of the steam page as a supported graphics card (and the minimum required), so you should be alright.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    signature.png

@Shade is the winner!

New weekly giftaway incoming!

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    One last repost for this one. It ends later today!

signature.png

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
  • Options
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Have any of you done much of backing up Steam files? It has been running almost a full day, and is still not done with the games I selected. I've heard you can just copy/paste game files instead. Is it really that simple?

It really is that simple. All your game files are in the "steamapps" folder, screenshots and remote saves inside the "userdata" folder. Then all you have to do is try to install the game and Steam should detect the already existing files. If anything goes wrong, a "verify integrity of game cache" should solve it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sumanai wrote: »

It really is that simple. All your game files are in the "steamapps" folder, screenshots and remote saves inside the "userdata" folder. Then all you have to do is try to install the game and Steam should detect the already existing files. If anything goes wrong, a "verify integrity of game cache" should solve it.

And for what it's worth, copy/pasting this way always seems to cause Steam to identify parts of most games as missing/corrupted files that require a download. Still quicker than using the backup utility though.

• Options
    Also, a reminder:
    signature.png

• Options
    edited May 2014
    DaringDirk wrote: »

Do you have a USB 3.0 port? If so, do that. Speed difference won't be noticed compared to a non-SSD drive, I've got 4TB attached to my lappy with my Steam library. Of course, my lappy's stationary tied to the 32" screen in the living room, but the point is USB 3 storage is as quick as the drive itself, and the larger form factor is super-cheap compared to the laptop-sized drives you can add internally.

Yeah, two USB 3.0 ports. I've already got a 3TB USB 3.0 external drive I use for backups and such, but I do want to increase my laptop's on-board storage too; the SSD for where the performance is needed and an HDD for bulkier storage where speed is less of an issue, like my iTunes library that's currently living on my old machine still. I like working from just the one computer where possible, and I don't have a permanent spot for any of my computer stuff at the moment; no desk or suitable space for anything more than occasional use. So my external drive lives in a drawer and only gets pulled out when it's actually needed, because it's a bit of a PITA, and the laptop can be in use in several different places over the course of the day, often where the external would just be a headache.

Dat's crazy talk! :p

- - - - -

EDIT: A little bit of Googling answered most of my questions (and found what looks like a slightly better drive option). Such is this crazy future-world in which we live. Ask the all-seeing synthetic oracle...

Jazz on
  • Options

I've already got a 3TB USB 3.0 external drive I use for backups and such, but I do want to increase my laptop's on-board storage too; the SSD for where the performance is needed and an HDD for bulkier storage where speed is less of an issue, like my iTunes library that's currently living on my old machine still. I like working from just the one computer where possible, and I don't have a permanent spot for any of my computer stuff at the moment; no desk or suitable space for anything more than occasional use. So my external drive lives in a drawer and only gets pulled out when it's actually needed, because it's a bit of a PITA, and the laptop can be in use in several different places over the course of the day, often where the external would just be a headache.

Wow, was gonna suggest checking the price difference between internal lappy HDDs and portable externals, then did so myself to find they're much more reasonable than they'd been in the past. Fewer options, sure, but check this one out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0B1-0053-001P9

You'd save $10-$15 going external, which isn't really worth the inconvenience. Mind/suggestion changed, dude. Though, options are different in the UK, I'm guessing the difference in price points would be similar.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

And for what it's worth, copy/pasting this way always seems to cause Steam to identify parts of most games as missing/corrupted files that require a download. Still quicker than using the backup utility though.

I don't think that ever happened to me. Sometimes it downloads a tiny file but never had corrupted or missing files.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I don't think that ever happened to me. Sometimes it downloads a tiny file but never had corrupted or missing files.

I should have been more clear; it definitely downloads a little bit for almost every game. If I manually verifying the cache of a random, it'll usually give me the message about files that could not be validated.

For once, it did not happen to me when I had to reinstall Windows on a new SSD a few weeks ago, but I kept my Steam library on another hard drive.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I've already got a 3TB USB 3.0 external drive I use for backups and such, but I do want to increase my laptop's on-board storage too; the SSD for where the performance is needed and an HDD for bulkier storage where speed is less of an issue, like my iTunes library that's currently living on my old machine still. I like working from just the one computer where possible, and I don't have a permanent spot for any of my computer stuff at the moment; no desk or suitable space for anything more than occasional use. So my external drive lives in a drawer and only gets pulled out when it's actually needed, because it's a bit of a PITA, and the laptop can be in use in several different places over the course of the day, often where the external would just be a headache.

Wow, was gonna suggest checking the price difference between internal lappy HDDs and portable externals, then did so myself to find they're much more reasonable than they'd been in the past. Fewer options, sure, but check this one out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0B1-0053-001P9

You'd save $10-$15 going external, which isn't really worth the inconvenience. Mind/suggestion changed, dude. Though, options are different in the UK, I'm guessing the difference in price points would be similar.

Sadly Newegg doesn't ship out here (still - although I have fond memories of them being able to get me a cat helmet Halo 3 pre-order when everyone else was sold out), but I'm perfectly happy to drop £45 at Amazon. I found this drive for just a couple of pounds more and it's up from the other one's 5400rpm to 7200rpm, which would be nice (I'm not concerned at all about the impact that might have on battery life, partly because I rarely run on battery, and partly because when I do, so long as I have the laptop switched to the integrated GPU - the machine's an Alienware M17x R3, and I love the switchable GPUs - the battery life is already shockingly excellent). I had wondered what HGST (same as that Newegg one!) was as a brand but it turns out it's a subsidiary brand of Western Digital, so that's cool. It looks like the caddy should already be in the chassis, which I will double-check, so it should be a case of slinging the drive in, going to Start>Computer>Manage>Storage>Disk Management and formatting and assigning a drive letter from there. Piece of cake.

Assuming it all works as it should, of course...!

Jazz on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Dat's crazy talk!

Well, you don't have to listen now, do you? You kids today and your tigabite drives and infinite time to play every game ever made. Spoiled! You're spoiled, I say!

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Anyone playing Landmark on Steam?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Dat's crazy talk!

Well, you don't have to listen now, do you? You kids today and your tigabite drives and infinite time to play every game ever made. Spoiled! You're spoiled, I say!

What heresy is this "not having shitloads of games installed" of which you speak? Praise be to the Gaben!

Actually, I have far too little game time, for one reason and another... I guess having a bunch installed at once is just old habits dying hard. I remember having my 486 with an 80MB C drive and a 426MB (oddly specific, but sticks in the memory) D drive with a whopping great pile of games on it once upon a time... actually, that computer might still be lurking in my mum's attic, I think I might have to dig it out and re-acquaint myself with MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 if it still works...

EDIT: Just remembered setting up .bat files in whatever the hell specified directory that was in config.sys or autoexec.bat so I could easily run my games from anywhere in the directory structure. Ah, '90s PC laziness.

Jazz on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    For the record, if I had any money for a birthday giveaway, I would give away Space Marine because that is an awesome game that more people should play.

Someone give away Space Marine for me.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Also, has anyone been getting random Steam Client Bootstrapper errors lately? I got a few the other day and did the ol' Steam reinstall (delete everything except steamapps and steam.exe, then run the exe again), but they're still popping up from time to time.

Side note: that reinstall method did result in me having to add my non-Steam games again, which I hadn't expected. Took five seconds, but just in case anyone ever does it and wonders where a few games went.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Also, has anyone been getting random Steam Client Bootstrapper errors lately? I got a few the other day and did the ol' Steam reinstall (delete everything except steamapps and steam.exe, then run the exe again), but they're still popping up from time to time.

Side note: that reinstall method did result in me having to add my non-Steam games again, which I hadn't expected. Took five seconds, but just in case anyone ever does it and wonders where a few games went.

Didja recently move your game folders from one place to another? I had a similar problem after doing so, fix was to reassign permissions on the folder structure (or run Steam as Admin).

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Didja recently move your game folders from one place to another? I had a similar problem after doing so, fix was to reassign permissions on the folder structure (or run Steam as Admin).

Nope, not moved anything at all.

Yet.

EDIT: I've set it to run as Admin in the .exe properties now. I'll see if that helps, thanks. :) EDIT EDIT: Oh joy, UAC pop-up and a Compatibility Mode warning! EDIT EDIT EDIT: Still got a Bootstrapper error. Huh.

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.