As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Choose Your Own [Conspiracy Theories]

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    Card is a homophobe, so fuck him.

If I stopped reading every author with gross opinions, my bookshelf would have a lot more room on it.

Card's position goes beyond "gross". He has outright stated that granting same sex marriage would be grounds for open revolt against the government.

Maybe my threshold for outrage is different, but that strikes me as more "old man yells at clouds."

There's so much sexism and homophobia in science fiction and fantasy still. Some of my favorite authors have awful views. Anne McCaffrey thought being raped would turn a man gay (not could, would). Tolkien was racist. Clarke, Asimov, and pretty much everyone else from that era were sexist as a matter of course. I have a ton of problems with Robert Heinlein, but his short stories and the stuff he wrote for kids is still pretty dang good. (I know none of those are contemporary, but I have a lot less time to read now than I did when I was in school, and the library rarely had anything written in the past decade.)

I guess I'm not willing to give up good stories because their authors are shit people.

Wait, what? I thought Anne McCaffrey's writing was supposed to be pretty progressive for its time.

'Yes' on some things, 'no' on others, for a writing career that spanned something like fifty years. IIRC, some of the motivations behind her earlier stories were from being tired of seeing female characters in SF being damsels in distress while Beef Slabtank was punching aliens. So strong, capable female protagonists were an important part of her canon. On things like homosexuality, she was not so good.

She still tended to be inclusive of homosexuality and such things but I don't think she had a really good grasp on the whole thing. She was trying.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    shryke wrote: »

If I stopped reading every author with gross opinions, my bookshelf would have a lot more room on it.

Card's position goes beyond "gross". He has outright stated that granting same sex marriage would be grounds for open revolt against the government.

Maybe my threshold for outrage is different, but that strikes me as more "old man yells at clouds."

There's so much sexism and homophobia in science fiction and fantasy still. Some of my favorite authors have awful views. Anne McCaffrey thought being raped would turn a man gay (not could, would). Tolkien was racist. Clarke, Asimov, and pretty much everyone else from that era were sexist as a matter of course. I have a ton of problems with Robert Heinlein, but his short stories and the stuff he wrote for kids is still pretty dang good. (I know none of those are contemporary, but I have a lot less time to read now than I did when I was in school, and the library rarely had anything written in the past decade.)

I guess I'm not willing to give up good stories because their authors are shit people.

Wait, what? I thought Anne McCaffrey's writing was supposed to be pretty progressive for its time.

'Yes' on some things, 'no' on others, for a writing career that spanned something like fifty years. IIRC, some of the motivations behind her earlier stories were from being tired of seeing female characters in SF being damsels in distress while Beef Slabtank was punching aliens. So strong, capable female protagonists were an important part of her canon. On things like homosexuality, she was not so good.

She still tended to be inclusive of homosexuality and such things but I don't think she had a really good grasp on the whole thing. She was trying.

Her writing tends to be pretty rapey by modern standards, too.

edit: let's see how many ways can I screw up a one-sentence post

Calica on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

Well, yes. That's exactly the implication I got from the book itself, so...?

Abuse does make you stronger in some ways. It also breaks you horribly in others. Shit's complicated.

Edit: I'm NOT saying abuse is ever justified - it's not - and I don't think the book is saying that either, which seems to be our main point of disagreement.

This is where we disagree.

Abuse never makes people stronger IN ANY WAY. Its in fact on of the most insidious messages about Abuse.

People who are stronger after abuse are stronger because they have been healed from said abuse. Usually after long therapy sessions and affirmations that the abuse was bullshit. Even so. them becoming stronger isn't actually strength, but them becoming the person they would have been without the abuse. edit: I.e. becoming the kind of person that decide they no longer have to take the abuse. example: Victims of domestic abuse deciding that they won't date people that commit DV.

And to repeat: What is most insidious of all(especially in a book aimed in large part at kids) is that the whole "becoming stronger" part is the complete opposite of what happens in real life. Victims of abuse become less confident, less sure of themselves and less trusting. The exact opposite of what you want a leader to become. even a war leader.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I turned off general chat in Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm because it was getting ghoulish [other than it's usual racist silly goose crap}
    Just seeing what happened today in the Trump-Putin conference and reactions to in WoW made me alarmed as people said this is what Starts the real shadow gov't with intel as counters to the trump trolls

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I meant to post this elsewhere.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah this is about what I remember from the stuff I read. Was mostly into things like Pegasus series, then Damia, and things like Killashandra or Ship That Sang.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Abuse does make you stronger in some ways. It also breaks you horribly in others. Shit's complicated.

Edit: I'm NOT saying abuse is ever justified - it's not - and I don't think the book is saying that either, which seems to be our main point of disagreement.

Abuse never makes people stronger IN ANY WAY. Its in fact on of the most insidious messages about Abuse.

People who are stronger after abuse are stronger because they have been healed from said abuse. Usually after long therapy sessions and affirmations that the abuse was bullshit. Even so. them becoming stronger isn't actually strength, but them becoming the person they would have been without the abuse.

And to repeat: What is most insidious of all(especially in a book aimed in large part at kids) is that the whole "becoming stronger" part is the complete opposite of what happens in real life. Victims of abuse become less confident, less sure of themselves and less trusting. The exact opposite of what you want a leader to become. even a war leader.

I would be a much less confident and trusting person if my abuser hadn't battered down my walls and forced me to face the fact that my maladaptive coping strategies weren't working. On the other side of the coin, a large part of my current level of self-confidence comes from knowing I've survived worse shit than anything that's likely to happen to me today.

I don't for a second condone what that person did to me, but the causality is undeniable: like seeds that need a forest fire before they can sprout.

Anyway, that's kind of irrelevant to Ender's Game because it stops before we see any post-traumatic growth for Ender.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    We should probably move this to the book thread anyways.

In conspiracy news i just discovered that a coworker i get along super well with is a huge Alex Jones fan. Now I secretly hope we never get into deep discussion about anything serious.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    As a conspiracy-phobe, like literally the most robust imaginable version of the Trump/Russia or should I say GOP/Russia conspiracy being criminally charged is weirding me out.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Star Trek was progessive for its time and the black lady answered the space phone and Omega Glory was a thing.

Star Trek TNG was progressive for its time and the planet of black people wore dashikis and literally chucked spears.

"For its time" usually gets followed by "but actually its pretty awful if you think about it.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    webguy20 wrote: »

In conspiracy news i just discovered that a coworker i get along super well with is a huge Alex Jones fan. Now I secretly hope we never get into deep discussion about anything serious.

I just don't have conversations at work anymore. Weather isn't even a safe topic anymore. I live in fear that I'll borrow a stapler and be met with a two hour lecture on how Swingline is a front to smuggle Jewish gold out of the Vatican or some shit.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

I just don't have conversations at work anymore. Weather isn't even a safe topic anymore. I live in fear that I'll borrow a stapler and be met with a two hour lecture on how Swingline is a front to smuggle Jewish gold out of the Vatican or some shit.

...it's not?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I can't find a 3 hour youtube video using captioned memes to express the opinion so I guess not?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

... and just like that, Hevach disappeared for knowing too much.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Kipling217 wrote: »

People who are stronger after abuse are stronger because they have been healed from said abuse. Usually after long therapy sessions and affirmations that the abuse was bullshit. Even so. them becoming stronger isn't actually strength, but them becoming the person they would have been without the abuse.

I would be a much less confident and trusting person if my abuser hadn't battered down my walls and forced me to face the fact that my maladaptive coping strategies weren't working. On the other side of the coin, a large part of my current level of self-confidence comes from knowing I've survived worse shit than anything that's likely to happen to me today.

I don't for a second condone what that person did to me, but the causality is undeniable: like seeds that need a forest fire before they can sprout.

Anyway, that's kind of irrelevant to Ender's Game because it stops before we see any post-traumatic growth for Ender.

Once again: That isn't how abuse works. ever.

You mention causality so lets try a thought experiment; Think of a version of you that was never abused. Its hard, but take the word of somebody that is an outsider from your situation:

Your growth? Would have happened anyways as a part of growing up healthy. Your confidence? Would be the same because nobody had battered it down and the knowledge that nobody has a right to abuse you would be ingrained into you by virtue of you never having been abused. Life gives you shit? You handle it because nobody ever told you can't. You overcome it and grow naturally.

Your mal-adaptive coping strategies would not have been necessary or(if you suffered from mental illness) would have revealed themselves in other ways. You would probably reacted much sooner to get treatment too as you wouldn't have had something external to blame it on. The damage would have been smaller and less pronounced if it happened at all.

In short that person is pretty close to the person that has healed from the abuse, except without the shitty memories and years of pain.

The person you are now is the person you are supposed to be, the abuse was a detour from that. Never forget that. You don't owe the abuse you suffered any credit for how awesome you are today. EVER!

That is why I hate Enders game, because it hangs Ender's character arc on "abuse is a catalyst for growth".

Also because, once again: Ender would not have become the person that Battle school wanted as a result of the abuse. I cannot repeat this enough: Anybody raised as Ender would become a horrible leader and soldier. Battle School's entire plan for Ender would not have worked at all. So even if we accept the premise of "abuse is a catalyst for growth", it would not have had the result Battle School was aiming for.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular

Did you, or did someone get to you?!?!

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Did you, or did someone get to you?!?!

*blinks twice for yes*

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    In lighter, "the government is just an elaborate cash-grab" conspiracy news, a rant on the labyrinthine pricing structure of the US Post Office, courtesy of renowned Nut-watcher JJ MacNab:

Just like government tax return forms, have you noticed how insanely complex postage rates and mailing identifications have become?

Remember when it used to be simple:

First Class mail
    Second Class Mail
    Third Class Mail

Now we have at least 13 categories to decide on before mailing a letter or package. Should it go:

UPS
    USPS
    Priority Express Mail International

Then we have to decide if it should go:

First Class Mail International
    First Class Package International
    Priority Mail Express International
    Priority Mail International

Then, as if our brain is not fried enough, they make us decide if it should go by:

Flat Rate Envelope
    Large Flat Rate Box
    Medium Flat Rate Box
    Package
    Padded Flat Rate Envelope
    Small Flat Rate Box

I kid you not. These are the actual categories that are listed by PayPal and at the Post Office.

And it's a lot more than 13 decisions when you consider the potential combinations, the algebra connected with 13 factors. What is it, 13 squared or 13 cubed decisions? That's at least 169 potential combinations, hence decisions.

This is ridiculous!

What brain-dead, profit-motivated, drug-infested mentality came up with the PO pricing scheme we have today? It must have been the same people, or mentality, came up with the even more ridiculous 1040 Tax Forms.

Stop the insanity, and start asking real questions about scientology:
    What if every person passes through the Singularity as a personal voyage?

Most of us here are expecting that the Singularity will be some objective group experience, that all of Humanity will go through like some massive cow crossing of a river. But what if the Singularity turns out to be a SUBJECTIVE experience we pass through one by one, not an OBJECTIVE experience? What if this individual subjective experience, what we here are calling the Singularity, is the day of judgment the Bible warns us about? That would sure be a surprise for you atheists and agnostics out there.

These are the questions we should be asking about Scientology, not whether the Xenu cosmology is true or if Hubbard falsified his biography or the other trivial nonsense the media brings up.
    It sure would, Mr. Jaeger. Also for most Christians, one expects.

(The twitter thread is more about the video this guy made for the Oath Keepers, but the real crime here is that JaegerResearchInstitute.org is not a Pacific Rim fan site.)

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    (The twitter thread is more about the video this guy made for the Oath Keepers, but the real crime here is that JaegerResearchInstitute.org is not a Pacific Rim fan site.)
    Sounds more like the Jägermeister Research Institute from here...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Hey, I wonder what's going on with the Pizzagate believers lately-

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/liz-crokin-trump-confirmed-the-existence-of-a-video-showing-hilary-clinton-torturing-a-child/
    Right-wing “journalist” Liz Crokin appeared on Sheila Zilinsky’s podcast earlier this week, where the two unhinged conspiracy theorists discussed Crokin’s assertion that a video exists showing Hillary Clinton sexually abusing and torturing a child.

“I understand that there is a video circulating on the dark web of [Clinton] eating the face of a child,” Zilinsky said. “Does this video exist?”

“Yes,” responded Crokin. “There are videos that prove that Hillary Clinton is involved in child sex trafficking and pedophilia. I have sources that have told me that; I trust these sources, so there is evidence that exists that proves that she is involved in this stuff … I believe with all my heart that this is true.”

As further proof that such tapes exist, Crokin repeated her claim that President Trump’s tweet of a link to a fringe right-wing conspiracy website that featured a video of her discussing this supposed Clinton tape was confirmation of the veracity of her claims.

“When President Trump retweeted MAGA Pill, MAGA Pill’s tweet was my video talking about Hillary Clinton’s sex tape,” she insisted. “I know President Trump, I’ve met him, I’ve studied him, I’ve reported on him … I’ve known him and of him and reported on him for a very long time. I understand how his brain works, I understand how he thinks, I understand ‘The Art of War,’ his favorite book, I understand this man. And I know that President Trump—there’s no way that he didn’t know when he retweeted MAGA Pill that my video talking about Hillary Clinton’s sex tape was MAGA Pill’s pinned tweet. There is no way that President Trump didn’t know that.”

“The man is actually a genius, he has a very high I.Q. and everything he does is intentional,” Crokin continued. “He retweeted MAGA Pill because he wants people to know the truth about Hillary Clinton, that she is a pedophile and that there is a video exposing her as a pedophile … He couldn’t directly retweet my video, but he directly confirmed for me that I was on the right path and that is true, because if it wasn’t true, I do not believe he would have retweeted someone that had my video as their pinned tweet. He is too smart for that.”

...Huh.

I kind of want to see her ask Trump to his face about secret Hillary cannibal sex tapes. I can't imagine how he would respond, but I am sure it would be fascinating.

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Just once I'd like something lie that to be real, just for the blownmind factor.

• Options
    Hey, I wonder what's going on with the Pizzagate believers lately-

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/liz-crokin-trump-confirmed-the-existence-of-a-video-showing-hilary-clinton-torturing-a-child/
    Right-wing “journalist” Liz Crokin appeared on Sheila Zilinsky’s podcast earlier this week, where the two unhinged conspiracy theorists discussed Crokin’s assertion that a video exists showing Hillary Clinton sexually abusing and torturing a child.

“I understand that there is a video circulating on the dark web of [Clinton] eating the face of a child,” Zilinsky said. “Does this video exist?”

“Yes,” responded Crokin. “There are videos that prove that Hillary Clinton is involved in child sex trafficking and pedophilia. I have sources that have told me that; I trust these sources, so there is evidence that exists that proves that she is involved in this stuff … I believe with all my heart that this is true.”

As further proof that such tapes exist, Crokin repeated her claim that President Trump’s tweet of a link to a fringe right-wing conspiracy website that featured a video of her discussing this supposed Clinton tape was confirmation of the veracity of her claims.

“When President Trump retweeted MAGA Pill, MAGA Pill’s tweet was my video talking about Hillary Clinton’s sex tape,” she insisted. “I know President Trump, I’ve met him, I’ve studied him, I’ve reported on him … I’ve known him and of him and reported on him for a very long time. I understand how his brain works, I understand how he thinks, I understand ‘The Art of War,’ his favorite book, I understand this man. And I know that President Trump—there’s no way that he didn’t know when he retweeted MAGA Pill that my video talking about Hillary Clinton’s sex tape was MAGA Pill’s pinned tweet. There is no way that President Trump didn’t know that.”

“The man is actually a genius, he has a very high I.Q. and everything he does is intentional,” Crokin continued. “He retweeted MAGA Pill because he wants people to know the truth about Hillary Clinton, that she is a pedophile and that there is a video exposing her as a pedophile … He couldn’t directly retweet my video, but he directly confirmed for me that I was on the right path and that is true, because if it wasn’t true, I do not believe he would have retweeted someone that had my video as their pinned tweet. He is too smart for that.”

...Huh.

I kind of want to see her ask Trump to his face about secret Hillary cannibal sex tapes. I can't imagine how he would respond, but I am sure it would be fascinating.

Sounds like she wouldn't need to. She would just need to figure out the right question to ask this table leg, and it would tell her everything she needs to know.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Just once I'd like something lie that to be real, just for the blownmind factor.

I take it current affairs in international relations don't count?

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »

Nah, not tin-foily enough.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »

Nah, not tin-foily enough.

Donald Trump as The Manchurian Candidate, but real, and also getting the Republican Party to flip literally 90 years of Russia hating in 18 months is a plot you would not have dismissed as an insane conspiracy theory four years ago?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    wait

eating a childs face?

Thats not pedophilia, thats, ah, child eating?

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    wait

eating a childs face?

Oh, no, my sweet little lamb. Pedophilia is just the gateway drug. At the highest levels of The Cabal it's about maintaining their all-consuming addiction to adrenochrome. Hillary, and those like her, have gone full pedovore.

This is an actual thing people espouse.

(Yes, adrenochrome, like in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.)

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Of course, it's in a legit museum! They call it a California cheeseburger

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2ntPLug71_R_D5h2GPPTDT9jEBVYwK8aioSXuAFCfFBEqgXQoOILQrr82

Prohass on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    wait

eating a childs face?

Oh, no, my sweet little lamb. Pedophilia is just the gateway drug. At the highest levels of The Cabal it's about maintaining their all-consuming addiction to adrenochrome. Hillary, and those like her, have gone full pedovore.

This is an actual thing people espouse.

(Yes, adrenochrome, like in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.)

Oh wow, there are people who say the Red Cross is in on it too since they have often worked closely with the Clinton Foundation. This is amazing.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    When you're working backwards from mistaken assumptions you need to come up with some silly beliefs to prop them up.

And usually those assmuptions are "airplane trails are harmful" or "aliens are out there." This one is "Donald Trump is secertly the smartest man in the world." Every time he opens his mouth you need to expand the mythos because he's trying REALLY HARD to debunk the core requirement.

• Options
    When you're working backwards from mistaken assumptions you need to come up with some silly beliefs to prop them up.

And usually those assmuptions are "airplane trails are harmful" or "aliens are out there." This one is "Donald Trump is secertly the smartest man in the world." Every time he opens his mouth you need to expand the mythos because he's trying REALLY HARD to debunk the core requirement.

I have to hand it Q, they've perfected a real perpetual bullshit reactor. As the Trumpium atoms in the core decay, they releases BS particles which excite the surrounding rube gas, and are absorbed by the Q containment field holding it all together.

If the Rubium-excitation begins to abate, the process reverses. The collapsing Q field will release stored BS particles back into the core until the rubium is sufficiently excited, or the Trumpium itself becomes excited and releases an explosion of new particles.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    So if the Earth is flat, how do we have gravity? Or is gravity a conspiracy as well?

I dunno about flat Earthers, but electric cosmologists absolutely believe gravity and the strong/weak nuclear forces are conspiracies and will expend astounding amounts of energy pounding on the claim.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    So if the Earth is flat, how do we have gravity? Or is gravity a conspiracy as well?

I dunno about flat Earthers, but electric cosmologists absolutely believe gravity and the strong/weak nuclear forces are conspiracies and will expend astounding amounts of energy pounding on the claim.

*sighs*
    OK, what is an electric cosmologist?
    *Braces for answer*

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Pseudoscience cranks who believe the only law of nature is electromagnetism and that all other fundamental forces are lies made up by Them for, uh, reasons. Stars? Huge current discharges, not balls of fusing gas. Gravity? Magnetic fields holding you down. Meteors and comets? They don't exist, you're just seeing electrical discharges through the ether - the ether does exist, you see. Meteorite craters? Those aren't impact events, they're caused by giant lightning discharges from outer space. And so on and so on.

If you hang around any large or poorly-moderated space-discussion community or forum, you'll start running into them eventually. They're incredibly missionary about it.

The guy who came up with it in the sixties is also the guy behind the New Chronology conspiracies that deny the ninth through twelfth centuries or so ever happened, which has some kind of weird staying power to the present day. Velikovsky was a true polyderp.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Adrenochrome isn't a real substance, right? Is it a corruption of some real drug/hormone/whatever?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    glithert wrote: »
    Adrenochrome isn't a real substance, right? Is it a corruption of some real drug/hormone/whatever?

It's the oxidized leftovers when you're body has used up adrenaline. The antihemorrhagic drug carbazochrome is derived from it.

Edit: I have no idea where it got the name, since it's C9H9NO3 and has no chromium in there anywhere, but that is its legitimate scientific name. Also called neuromelanin, which makes exactly as much sense since it's not related to melanin either and actually that seems to have been some bunk originating on Rationalwiki that isn't actually true, though it has the same chemical equation as neuromelanin they don't share a similar structure and actual scientists don't get them confused. Good job creating new bunk debunking website!

Hevach on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Pseudoscience cranks who believe the only law of nature is electromagnetism and that all other fundamental forces are lies made up by Them for, uh, reasons. Stars? Huge current discharges, not balls of fusing gas. Gravity? Magnetic fields holding you down. Meteors and comets? They don't exist, you're just seeing electrical discharges through the ether - the ether does exist, you see. Meteorite craters? Those aren't impact events, they're caused by giant lightning discharges from outer space. And so on and so on.

If you hang around any large or poorly-moderated space-discussion community or forum, you'll start running into them eventually. They're incredibly missionary about it.

The guy who came up with it in the sixties is also the guy behind the New Chronology conspiracies that deny the ninth through twelfth centuries or so ever happened, which has some kind of weird staying power to the present day. Velikovsky was a true polyderp.

Someone misunderstood grand unified theory pretty badly.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

So meteorite fragments are just space-electrocuted chunks of Earth? Also, how the fuck did we invent/replace three centuries?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Yep! And they never really get to explaining why we did that, much less how.

(They also forget that non-Western chronologies happily corroborate the existing timeline, but conspiracy theorists who dabble in Grand Historical Theories are as a rule awful racists, so of course those people having written sources never occurred to 'em.)

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    on the lost centuries
    My understanding on the claim is that some monarch or another wanted a more significant time for their reign, so they changed the calendar.
    No idea how they explain anyone else goig along with it though.

This discussion has been closed.