As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Firewatch | First Person Narrative Exploration Wyoming Simulator | Out Now!

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    This game looks güd,
    not a fan of the voice acting though.

The voice acting and dialogue in the trailer was bad. Cheesy and over the top, just not natural, but that kind of in a way goes with the cartoony looking hands. Not even sure what kind of atmosphere and message they're going for with this.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    If I asked my supervisor if my fire lookout job was dangerous and they said, "PFFT. GETTING OUT OF THE SHOWER IS DANGEROUS KID. PEOPLE DIE FALLING OUT OF THE SHOWER ALL OF THE TIME," I'm pretty sure i'd go looking for new job.

I mean, in a way being a firewatch lookout is both dangerous and boring. It's boring when there isn't a problem, but when there's a problem THERE'S A BIG PROBLEM.

Also, there are pretty clearly some emotional shenanigans going on.

Yup. It seems a bit too telegraphed, but it's still early.

I guess I'm just a bit let down. I knew walking through an Olly Moss drawing would be impossible, but the game does just seem like it's only slightly Moss-ified. I was expecting like an Unfinished Swan type thing. Also, being a firewatch lookout seems like an interesting enough plot without drama stuff. You're out there by yourself for months.
    You think sitting there on your ass for days and days waiting to see if any smoke pops up is interesting enough on its own without anything else happening?

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    If I asked my supervisor if my fire lookout job was dangerous and they said, "PFFT. GETTING OUT OF THE SHOWER IS DANGEROUS KID. PEOPLE DIE FALLING OUT OF THE SHOWER ALL OF THE TIME," I'm pretty sure i'd go looking for new job.

I mean, in a way being a firewatch lookout is both dangerous and boring. It's boring when there isn't a problem, but when there's a problem THERE'S A BIG PROBLEM.

I guess I'm just a bit let down. I knew walking through an Olly Moss drawing would be impossible, but the game does just seem like it's only slightly Moss-ified. I was expecting like an Unfinished Swan type thing. Also, being a firewatch lookout seems like an interesting enough plot without drama stuff. You're out there by yourself for months.
    You think sitting there on your ass for days and days waiting to see if any smoke pops up is interesting enough on its own without anything else happening?

I'm not sure, but I found Gone Home incredibly engaging, and that was basically just rifling through somebody's stuff for hours.

i don't have any expectations for Firewatch, but it would be nice to get more games about conventional people in conventional situations.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    Yup, I want this. All the money.

• Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    Although. I do wonder how the Mark of the Ninja guy's talents are going to be utilized in this game. Can you knife a forest fire in the back and hide the body in a dumpster?

I don't think so, personally, but I'm ready to be disproven.

• Options
    Some game designers are good at designing more than just one kind of game.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I'm not sure, but I found Gone Home incredibly engaging, and that was basically just rifling through somebody's stuff for hours.

i don't have any expectations for Firewatch, but it would be nice to get more games about conventional people in conventional situations.

....So you found Gone Home engaging, but you don't want the relationship drama shenanigans?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Did they say what that particular person's area is? Because if it's anything at all to do with developing the atmosphere of the setting, he should be in a great place.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

....So you found Gone Home engaging, but you don't want the relationship drama shenanigans?

I mean, I can't speak for other people, but where I found Gone Home emotionally gripping, the trailer for this seemed really forced. Just because people like relationship-related drama in one thing doesn't mean they'll jump at anything related that comes by.

• Options
    Did they say what that particular person's area is? Because if it's anything at all to do with developing the atmosphere of the setting, he should be in a great place.
    The company has like six or seven people or whatever, so he's doing all sorts of stuff, including developing the atmosphere.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

Ah sweet, they'll be hacking minigames too?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Since it's set in 1980 I'm guessing probably not. Then again BioShock managed to get hacking minigames in there soooo

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    So, you're saying Firewatch is like Pipe Dream.

• Options
    Yes

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Ynuu wrote: »
    Although. I do wonder how the Mark of the Ninja guy's talents are going to be utilized in this game. Can you knife a forest fire in the back and hide the body in a dumpster?

I don't think so, personally, but I'm ready to be disproven.

That is actually how all forest fires are fought.

They're just really good at hiding the bodies.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Wasn't Nels Anderson also involved in Don't Starve? I feel like that's more applicable than his experience from Mark of the Ninja.

• Options
    Here's a link to the PAX presentation by the way. Lots of talk from the devs plus a gameplay demonstration. Worth watching to hear one of the main writers of The Walking Dead modestly describe himself as having done some "story, graphic design stuff" for The Walking Dead. The audio in the gameplay demonstration isn't perfect but it;s totally worth watching to see stuff like the great graphics and the neat looking UI.

• Options
  • Options
    Neat blog post about their art process. It features gifs, like this one:

tumblr_nbcnm5RrAv1sikueao4_1280.gif

• Options
    Tiny widdle gifs! A sample:

tumblr_nb23o04eYS1sikueao4_250.gif

• Options
    A blog post on the art process. Features a meme:

funhome.gif

• Options
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Those posters are pretty flipping sweet. Sadly, I have no need for posters. Tempting all the same...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular

I don't really get the meme, but that book is in gone home too. Neat.

• Options
    When they showed off the game at PAX they did the same thing with that book, as a friendly way of making fun of Gone Home. So now it's a thing.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i am very erect for dis

lovin the voice acting loving the bad puns lovin the huge meaty pixar hands

aww yessss

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
  • Options
    tumblr_nlbdujvwD11sikueao6_1280.png

tumblr_nlbdujvwD11sikueao5_1280.png

tumblr_nlbdujvwD11sikueao2_1280.png

tumblr_nlbdujvwD11sikueao1_1280.png