As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Pokemon League South 2015! The CHAMPION revealed!

AssumptionPrimeAssumptionPrime Registered User regular
edited January 2015 in PAX South
qeEMzTg.png?1

Welcome to the PA Forums thread for the PAX Pokemon League at PAX South 2015!

What is the PAX Pokemon League?
The PAX Pokemon League is a weekend-long alternate reality game played at PAX! Gym leaders wander the convention center halls, ready to battle upstart young challengers like you! Find them and defeat them in battle, and you'll receive their badge!

Battles can take place anywhere at PAX. Note that this is NOT a tournament: just like in the game, ANYONE can train a team of their favorite Pokemon and challenge the League. We plan to have gym leaders at many difficulty levels, so everyone has a chance to live the Pokemon dream!

A little more info...
Started at PAX Prime 2010, the PAX Pokemon League has grown and continues to grow each year! The PPL focuses on creating a fun quest to find and battle gym leaders to earn their badges.

What do I need to participate?
All that is required is a copy of the newest Pokemon game (X, Y, Omega Ruby, or Alpha Sapphire), keen eyesight*, and a love of Pokemon Battle! Gym leaders will be all over PAX, and can be identified by their bright green scarves. Approach them, challenge them to a battle, and if they deem you worthy, you'll earn their badge! No need to sign up or anything, just find a gym leader and start battling!

*Note: Keen Eyesight only required to see neon green clothes in a sea of black t-shirts.

If, however, you want to know more about the league, join the community of challengers, and find information and hints that will help you locate and identify the gym leaders... well, you should visit our site where in the coming months we're going to be revealing leader profiles, detailed rules, and other fun things. We've also got a twitter account (@PaxPokemon) where gym leaders will often post their locations as they wander the con, and a (Facebook group) where if you like us you can see news and pictures from our Hall of Fame!

What are the rules?
The rules have been posted at http://paxpokemonleague.net/rules/ but will be updated when OR and AS come out.

What do I win?
Those who conquer the league will win the respect of their peers, entry into the Hall of Fame, and the ability to be forced to sit through the game's credits sequence.

Also, there may be some prizes...

That sounds awesome, can I help?
Right now, we're still in the planning stages! We're looking for artists and web developers who want to help make the PPL bigger, better, and shinier.

So, that's great, but what is this thread for?
This is the place to interact with challengers and leaders! We're always looking for cool ideas to improve the league, or input on rules that will help make the league more fun.

We also want to spread the word about the league! Tell us if you have any ideas about people we should talk to to get the word out.

We could also talk about your Pokemon. Perhaps you could show us them?

You guys are cool people, can I hang out with you?
You sure can! Visit our forums, follow our twitter or like our facebook page!

AssumptionPrime on

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    This totally has my endorsement BTW! I want to see the PPL represent at PAX South, so if you're interested in helping out (being a gym leader or such) let us know here! Or in THIS thread in the PPL forums!

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    moved this to pax south forum for visibility.

good luck folks :)

• pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Can I suggest something potentially AWESOME?
    Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are coming out on November 21, 2014.
    PAX South is January 23, 2015.

Guess what's coming back in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? SECRET BASES.

Guess what you can design your Secret Base as? A POKEMON GYM. WITH BATTLE RULES.

You can either:
    a) Print out a QR code and hide it somewhere on the Main Floor with your badge symbol.
    b) Street Pass people for gym challenges.

Penny for your thoughts. Please discuss. :)

pelicanflip on
  • AssumptionPrimeAssumptionPrime Registered User regular
    Can I suggest something potentially AWESOME?
    Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are coming out on November 21, 2014.
    PAX South is January 23, 2015.

Guess what's coming back in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? SECRET BASES.

Guess what you can design your Secret Base as? A POKEMON GYM. WITH BATTLE RULES.

You can either:
    a) Print out a QR code and hide it somewhere on the Main Floor with your badge symbol.
    b) Street Pass people for gym challenges.

Penny for your thoughts. Please discuss. :)

Definitely something to consider. I'd think it would work well as an extra activity for the League, as much of the fun of the PPL is in finding and battling the leaders in person. Are the secret base battles conducted by the AI using your Pokemon or does it send you a challenge to battle them yourself via wireless?

Secret bases are definitely going to have some play with the PPL, we just need to figure out how to do it best.

Also, applications for the South PPL will be going up on the PPL forums soon, I'll give a shout here when they do!

• MidanMidan Registered User regular
    This is such an awesome cool idea! Me and my husband are from a little rural town in north Texas so finding people who are interested in Pokemon can be a challenge sometimes. lol Anyways I was going to ask if the badges you win are like the pins in the games and shows. See i'm cosplaying as a pokemon breeder and I wanted to see if I should make myself a badge case to go with it or not. :)

• X3R0 9X3R0 9 Registered User regular
    Count me in! This has always been a fun experience at Prime and East!

Midan wrote: »
    This is such an awesome cool idea! Me and my husband are from a little rural town in north Texas so finding people who are interested in Pokemon can be a challenge sometimes. lol Anyways I was going to ask if the badges you win are like the pins in the games and shows. See i'm cosplaying as a pokemon breeder and I wanted to see if I should make myself a badge case to go with it or not. :)

The badges are buttons/pins. Here's a gym leader scarf with a ton of badges on the lower half: http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8wus6Ah4C1rdk2q8o1_1280.jpg

• 725roy725roy Registered User regular
    I know for a fact that I'll participate if this ends up happening!

edited July 2014
    PAX South Gym Leader Applications are now OPEN!

http://paxpokemonleague.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1588

AssumptionPrime on
    edited July 2014
    qeEMzTg.png?1

Our shiny new PAX South logo!

AssumptionPrime on
    I'm excited to help make this happen! Since it's the first year of PAX South and we don't know too much about what it's going to be like, we'll probably be doing a small PPL, just to generate interest and get people excited and engaged for next year. Depends how many people we have!

(Also mods sorry about the double post, wasn't AssumptionPrime's fault, I told him to repost because I thought this thread got locked when it was moved into this forum, since he can't edit the first post. :( But now we're clear on things!)

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    For anyone thinking about applying to be a gym leader, this post on the PPL forums has a lot of great information on what being a gym leader is all about!

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    Lloye here! Very excited about PPL at South! Cant wait!!!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
    Nice! :D Even though this is South's first year, we're going to do our best!

edited August 2014
    Less than a week to get applications in! The responses so far have already exceeded our expectations. Keep 'em coming!

EDIT: Applications are now closed, and Gym Leaders have been selected!

AssumptionPrime on
    Application Responses have been sent out! Everyone check your emails!

PAX South is officially a GO! :O Can we do it? Can we run a PPL at a brand new PAX?

YES OF COURSE WE CAN

eeeeeeeeeeeee get excited! PPL South is going to be A THING

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote: »
    PPL South is going to be A THING

*CHEERS* YAY! Cant' wait. I've already got my team assembled(though I may adapt a bit when the new games are released)- trainers beware!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • coomtasticcoomtastic Smexy Beast TejasRegistered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the South Pokemon League! *starts working on awesomest team*

• CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    I need to ask my friend if he's started working on anything. He's super excited and the biggest Pokemon fan I know! It's fun to see his enthusiasm!

Things are spinning up! Leaders are starting to get organized! Hoo boy I am excited!

• Retro JoseRetro Jose Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Wow, I used to run a Play Pokemon league in Houston, and this just sounds so good. I wish you guys luck.

• QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Don't worry Qumaden I'm right there with you! I never had battled real people in the games until I heard about this, and the thought of going around and role playing as a trainer battling leaders to get badges just was the coolest idea I have ever heard! So I have been practicing and my record so far is 0-10..... But I know even if I don't get a single badge I'm still going to have a blast and I'm sure you will too!

• QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    I guess I should go buy the newest game and get to leveling up.

The newest one comes out in a couple weeks, remake of the third generation of the game. It is omega ruby alpa sapphire.

I do have a question though, can we use x or y still? Or do we need to use omega or alpha?

• xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    working on my ruby team as we speak

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

Midan wrote: »
    I do have a question though, can we use x or y still? Or do we need to use omega or alpha?

Gym leaders at South will be using ORAS, but their teams (or backup versions of their teams) will be compatible for X/Y battles! Challengers can use ORAS or X/Y, whichever they have!

• ChocorokoChocoroko ZU Video Editor Denton, TXRegistered User regular
    Sign me up for this!

• deathmog91deathmog91 Registered User regular
    i hope to have a team ready by then

PAX South is almost upon us!

We've made some minor updates to the Rules page with a few banned and limited pokemon for ORAS.

More importantly, begin the Gym Leader reveals! Starting today with Allie, the Toxic Scientist!

There will be a new Gym Leader reveal every weekday leading up to PAX!

• xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    OMG so excited. Been working on my team so hard. ^.^

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

All hail our next leader, Fangurley, the Queen Bee!

Challenge the mystery and power of dragons when you face Spirit, the Tamer of Ancient Beasts!

Debug your team with Leo, the ERROR 418 I’m a teapot!

Mist Ariah might use Ice type pokemon, but she won't leave you out in the cold!

Steel yourself against the assault of Felix Cuprum, the Metallurgist!

• ChocorokoChocoroko ZU Video Editor Denton, TXRegistered User regular
    Working around getting my team together. Can't wait!

Step in to the ring with Pending, the Arena Master!