As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a game to play with the wife...

JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
We get these kind of threads a lot, but I couldn't find anything in the accumalted knowledge area so I thought I'd go ahead and bring it up again. I'm looking for a game to play with my wife. She loves the old 2D platformers like Mario and Donkey Kong Country for the simplicity - left to right is pretty much all you have to worry about. Anything violent is pretty much out of the question (highly stylized stuff and cartoony looking animations should be fine), and if it's 3D (which would be good, to hopefully start get her over despising it) the path should be VERY linear. I have a cube and an old PS1, but no functional PS2 at the moment. I'd also like to hear suggestions for Wii, since I hope to pick one up in the next couple months.

So far Lego Star Wars sounds like it might be alright, and possibly something like Mario Kart or Strikers, but I can't come up with much else. Would Mario Sunshine be a good idea?

JihadJesus on

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Donkey Kong's Jungle Beat. 2D platformer controlled by bongo drums.

It's fucking brilliant.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lego Star Wars 2

Hands down

2 player
    Drop in/out coop
    Easy yet super fun
    Star Warsy goodness
    Super classy cartoony graphics
    Linear platforming action

Should be absolutely everything you want

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Don't get Double Dash unless you like make-up sex. Not saying that you shouldn't like make-up sex, but the fights that it causes are not worth it. Personal experience, at least. I've had some success with Trauma Center on the Wii, but my girl's a bio nerd. But yeah, Lego Star Wars is +++ fun times.

Oh, I'd say a no-go on the Mario Sunshine. That's a ridiculously hard game at times, even when you're just doing the straight story stuff, and it's not very linear at all. You might want to try the original Spyro on the PS1, or possibly the Crash games.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Alien Hominid comes to mind but it's a relatively difficult game. It's violent but there's a gore setting that changes the blood into sparkles and flowers.

Taya on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Halo 2 lawlz

But seriously, don't get any games where you play against each other. Even if your wife isn't a real competitive type of person, video games tend to bring out the worst in people. I'd definitely recommend something where you can take turns, or that you can play cooperatively. If you're getting a Wii soon, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves would be a good choice. I also second Jungle Beat - and if you get the bongos for it, grab Donkey Konga as well. The multiplayer on that game is excellent.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lego Star Wars seems to be the way to go to begin with.

This may be too far of a stretch, but how about Fire Emblem? It has a good walkthrough, and you can help her (but not dictate to her) some strategies.

Pikmin can be good too.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I suggested Fire Emblem - she's not to hot on turn based games, whether strategy based or regular RPG. Pikmin...might work. So far Lego Star Wars is sounding the best...

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    So far Lego Star Wars is sounding the best...

It is.

Everything else said is a one player game or not fitting with what you want.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    this might seem like a total cop out answer, but why settle for just one? on one hand, a nice bit of co-op action is always a great way to ease someone into gaming, and on the the other a bit of competition is always good for building up that drive to get better.

out of those suggested, Lego Star Wars is your best co-op bet. as for the competitive side, since you mentioned you're plans/hopes for getting a Wii, Wii Sports/Play would fit the bill. even better if you get a few other friends round, make a night of it. and if you get hold of a functional PS2 games like Sing Star, Buzz and EyeToy would also fit. even the Mario Party games on the GameCube might work, but again, all these would be better with more than just the two of you.

Mario Sunshine, while not quite as simple as the old 2D Mario games, isn't that much more complicated, but the differences are noticeable. maybe give her a few pointers in the early game till she's picked up the controls, especially with the first void level. after that, everything should be pretty self explanatory.

also, if you have, or ever get a DS or PSP, don't rule out old school puzzle games. even if you're only trying to beat each others high scores its still an incentive to play and a (potentially)fun rivalry to play with.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Double Dash is amazing in co-op. You can just switch out drivers when the person in the back is tired of items and bringin' da blue sparks. It's great fun.

Sunshine is one of my favourite mario games but god damn some of those shine sprites near impossible.

Lego Star Wars needs no explaination other than "AWESOME".

DekuStick on
  • Options
    Fishbulb7o9Fishbulb7o9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I would recommend the super monkey ball series.

Fishbulb7o9 on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Soul Calibur (1, 2 or 3) - it's a good button-masher with lots of female characters. Lots of women really dig it, even though it's a fighting game which traditionally doesn't bode well for female casual/non-gamers.

I know you didn't list the DS, but there's a holy fuckton of great games that women really get into. My wife is a nutbar for the DS these days.

The Wii is another insta-hit with the ladies - Wii Sports and, most certainly, Super Paper Mario will do wonders for your woman.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    What about that Super Swing golf game on the Wii? I never got it, didn't pay attention to any reviews, but if it's a bit better with the swing detection than the golf on WiiSports is, it should be pretty entertaining.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Katamari if it hasn't been mentioned. Just take turns for each level.

Also, my lady enjoys Justice League Heroes and X-Men Legends both. She digs the action-RPG lite thing going on with both. So those are open for suggestion as well I suppose. I'd aim for X-Men more just because they're a little more recent in everyone's heads that don't follow comics.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I also suggest Lego Star Wars or Pikmin 2. Avoid Sunshine, there's too many moves so Mario is a lot tougher to control then in past games.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How about Crystal Chronicles?

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Metal Slug Anthology on the Wii.

To paraphrase a married couple that I am very close with...

His wife:

"I don't mind him playing videogames. I even liked that bowling thing you showed me (Wii Sports) it's just that some of it doesn't make sense. I want something I can hold forward and press a few buttons and that be the end of it."

Me:

Uh... Shit. *puts in Metal Slug Anthology.*

Her:

"Yes. This is EXACTLY what I want. it's cute, and it's funny, and I can just blow stuff up!"

So, now he's gonna go buy him and her a Wii.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Porphyria PlanPorphyria Plan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is there a possibilty you can get a system that can run DDR or any other rhythm games. I bought a DDR game and a mat on a whim a few weeks ago. Last weekend I had to buy a second mat so my wife and I can play together. It's a lot of fun.

You can even introduce her to the rhythm games with either Frets on Fire or 02jam (beware it's an MMO but has the added benefit of not having to hit a "strum key" along with the notes unlike in FoF). Both are free so you can give it a shot and see if she likes it.

Good luck.

Porphyria Plan on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought the camera in Mario Sunshine was a fucking nightmare.

august on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jungle Beat get's an emphatic 'Hell Yes!' from me. I have played that game for hours with my sister (a textbook non-gamer) but it's also incredibly deep. It's like Donkey Kong Country + EBA. I could wax lyrical for ages about how I love this game, but I think that's anough.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Sleep: great suggestion on Metal Slug. I'll give that a try when I manage to get my hands on a Wii. Does it control pretty well with the GC setup, or should I invest in some classic controllers?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    PenguinSephPenguinSeph Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sleep: great suggestion on Metal Slug. I'll give that a try when I manage to get my hands on a Wii. Does it control pretty well with the GC setup, or should I invest in some classic controllers?
    It... doesn't allow CLassic controller use.

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Doctor?

...sorry. Me and my girlfriend have killed a lot of time on Wii Sports. I think the key is that I know which games she's great at, so if I wanna cheer her up, we play those ones. Dance Dance is always a good choice, but it's a bit more expensive to get up and running.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lego Star Wars 2 for the cube. That will get you lots of sex.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It... doesn't allow Classic controller use.
    Really? I thought it allowed for like 7 or 8 control configurations. Waggle, wiimote on its side, GC controller, classic, and different button setups.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    citriccitric Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My wife and I have tried and enjoyed most of these:

For the PS2 (I know, you don't have one, but it's the best available for co-op... none of the systems are very good):
    Soul Calibur games (maybe Soul Blade would do you for PS1)
    Red Faction 2
    TimeSplitters 2 (although we haven't finished it... it's kind of hard, but the deathmatches are fun... actually, it's too hard; I can't unlock shit myself)
    Katamari, passing the controller
    Baldur's Gate for the PS2 and X-Men Legends -- meh, they passed the time, but we haven't played their sequels because frankly they're shit games, bad writing and clickclickclick gameplay broken up with inventory management, not to mention generally slow-moving
    DYNASTY WARRIORS ... if it exists in any form for the PS1, probably the win
    Lego Star Wars was a bust... it's lame, made for children, controls and gameplay are clunky as hell
    Super Bust a Move, fun
    Prince of Persia, good to figure out together
    Ratchet and Clank, pass the controller
    Alien Hominid didn't work out -- too hard for her

For the Gamecube/Wii:
    Chibi Robo, watching
    Tak 3: Juju Challenge -- a co-op platformer. sort of tough, but the only one that exists I think and it's pretty funny

Mario Kart Double Dash is kind of boring and lame, which is weird since I remember enjoying Mario Kart 64 so much
    Smash Brothers is also kind of boring and lame, I suppose since it feels kludgy, slow, and childish after Soul Calibur and Dynasty Warriors
    Pikmin 2 -- although we haven't actually tried the 2-player mode yet (wish they'd made the real game 2-player!)

We haven't found anything else for the Gamecube. It's actually been a very disappointing system for co-op. Chibi Robo has provided a lot of entertainment, though, and my wife likes playing Animal Farm [edit: Animal Crossing] (myself, I thought they should've spent more time adding variety and less time making new table lamps).

citric on
    No, we need no more tires.
  • Options
    markmark Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    But seriously, don't get any games where you play against each other. Even if your wife isn't a real competitive type of person, video games tend to bring out the worst in people. I'd definitely recommend something where you can take turns, or that you can play cooperatively.

This is definitely true, especially if she has not played much before !

mark on
    "I think Han Solo is the character we wish we were but we aren't, while Jar-Jar is the character we wish we weren't, but we are."
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My fiancee and myself have had great times with Burnout 3 and both Guitar Heroes. Also, I second (third?) Katamari. Generally, it seems like games where you can figure stuff out pretty easily, pick up the controller and do something fun, and are then able to put the game down without having to wait a long time to get to a position where you can (JRPGs, I'm looking in your direction!) are going to work best.

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My wife enjoyed playing Lego Star Wars (1 or 2) with me, and also pikmin (though that became a tough spot because I got further than she did and she got frustrated with some of the harder levels. I would also recommend Donkey Konga or whatever it was with the bongos. That's a lot of fun, though your hands can hurt after a long play session.

If you pick up the Wii, get some VC games from the NES/SNES era. Lots of 2D platformers to choose from and most of them great!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I agree on Lego Star wars, and Me and my lady enjoy Champions of Norrath and the Dark Alliance games.

cemetery man on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are handhelds out of the question? Just because my girlfriend and I play a lot of games together on consoles, but most of our time is spent with handheld games (mostly DS, but occasionally PSP). Hell, the last week we've barely spoken outside of yelling at each other over Puzzle Quest.

As far as platformers go, you've got New Super Mario Bros. PSP has Me and My Katamari, which is pretty alright (it's a little more repetitive than the console Katamaris, but it's still very good). Most of the DS library isn't too violent and includes some sort of multiplayer... although I'm sure someone else can tell you more about coop games for the DS and PSP than I could (as we mostly play vs).

Edit: Burnout is a great suggestion. We've had excellent success with Burnout Revenge (in fact, we only own two games for her PS2, and that's one of them).

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

I don't even mind the Wii controller setup. All you have to do is waggle it to toss grenades. Gamecube isn't bad, though. Only complaints about it is lack of D pad support.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ronen: The DS would be great for her, as she HATES analog sticks and will always use the D-pad if it's even remotely viable. And if it's not, she just won't play the game in my experience. There are also plenty of platfomers she would enjoy. I just don't have one yet. Or a job right now, so I won't be getting one for a while.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ronen: The DS would be great for her, as she HATES analog sticks and will always use the D-pad if it's even remotely viable. And if it's not, she just won't play the game in my experience. There are also plenty of platfomers she would enjoy. I just don't have one yet. Or a job right now, so I won't be getting one for a while.

Ah, that understandable. The DS is something that's best approached with a surplus of money, as it will very quickly make it disappear. :(

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Did someone already say "Hide the Salami"?

Terrorbyte on