As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SUGGESTIVE [CHAT]

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Embodiments of the disclosure are directed to an arrangement of various elements to form a studio in which items, people, products, clothing, or any other objects can be photographed and/or filmed to achieve a particular effect. More specifically, embodiments of the disclosure can allow images and/or video of an item placed in a studio arrangement as described herein to be captured with a background that appears, when captured with an image capture device, as a near perfect white without the need for post-processing, retouching, or other image manipulation. In other words, images and video of items captured in the studio arrangement appear against a background that is equivalent to a white background when converted into a web color hexadecimal triplet corresponding to a true white. A hexadecimal triplet corresponding to a true white according to various browser standards, such as hypertext markup language (HTML), cascading style sheets (CSS), and other standards, can be represented by three bytes corresponding to a red parameter, a green parameter, and a blue parameter, each with a maximum value of 255. Additionally, embodiments of the disclosure also achieve an effect, without any image manipulation, of an object photographed and/or filmed in the studio arrangement that appears to be floating in front of the true white background with a reflection of the object appearing beneath the object.

Prior art solutions for achieving such a result for capturing images and/or video of objects set against a true white background include solutions that often involve some type of image retouching, post processing, "green screen" techniques, or other special effects and image and video manipulation to achieve the result of an object set against a true white background. Accordingly, as will be described herein, embodiments of the present disclosure provide a studio arrangement in which an object can be photographed and/or filmed, and the images and/or video captured by the camera achieve the effect noted above without any image manipulation due to the particular arrangements of the subject, camera, lighting and background.

With reference to FIGS. 1-2, shown is a studio arrangement 100 according to various embodiments. FIG. 1 illustrates a top plan view of a studio arrangement 100 according to an embodiment of the disclosure, and FIG. 2 illustrates a side view of the studio arrangement 100. As shown in FIG. 1, the studio arrangement 100 also includes an elevated platform 101 on which a subject 104 can be positioned and be photographed and/or filmed in front of a background 102. A subject 104 can comprise a model, product, or any object desired to be photographed and/or filmed in the studio arrangement 100 as appearing on a true white background. The elevated platform 101 is configured with a top surface made of a material that can include, but is not limited to a plastic, such as Poly(methyl methacrylate), which is commonly known as "plexiglass," and/or any other materials that possess a degree of transparency as well as reflectivity. Such a material produces an effect in images and/or video of the subject 104 such that a reflection of the subject 104 appears beneath the subject 104, but where the top surface of the elevated platform 101 blends seamlessly into a true white background.

Additionally, light reflecting off the background 102 and into an image capture device positioned in the appropriate position in the studio arrangement 100 causes the top surface of the elevated platform 101 to likewise have a true white appearance. Also, a rear edge of the elevated platform also appears imperceptible or not visible to the image capture device due to the positioning, configuration, and orientation of the various elements in the studio arrangement 100 as described below. It should be appreciated that a background 102 of any color may be chosen and due to the positioning of the various elements in the studio arrangement 100, light emanating from the background 102 reflects off of the top surface of the elevated platform 101, into an image capture device positioned according to the disclosure, and causes the top surface of the elevated platform 101 to appear the same color as the background 102.

Eh. I suspect it's been done before, but not filed or widely described.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ronya wrote: »

It's pretty much Portrait Photography 101. Every studio has that setup.

• Options
    I look forward to the rush of every photographer's studio patenting their entire folk wisdom of lighting techniques, though.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Geth, status report.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Situation report:

Thread Recycle: page 100
    We are Legion.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    cops have pretty much no oversight or repercussions for doing anything and so by default the line of thinking is shoot first (and twice) and ask questions never

it's kind of a crock of shit

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »

It's pretty much Portrait Photography 101. Every studio has that setup.

Exactly - if you went to a photographer and said "no, no, I want a background that is consistently so white that it will be exactly #FFFFFF when I websafe it", they could probably arrange it with an hour and some experimentation, and then write down their arrangement of lights and lenses. the thing is, this is so dependent on learned technique that, almost certainly, nobody's bothered to write down a process for this exact goal thus far. Google can easily identify dozens of "here is a process for a white background", but "here is a process for a #FFFFFF-white background" might not actually be floating around out there. So Amazon gets the patent.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Fuk

Da

Police

poo
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    And my lack of sleep

poo
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Eddy wrote: »
    cops have pretty much no oversight or repercussions for doing anything and so by default the line of thinking is shoot first (and twice) and ask questions never

it's kind of a crock of shit

i don't think so

it seems much more likely that at least one in twenty-five cops shoots first, though. and that twenty-four in twenty-five will join in if someone else starts opening fire, even if they're surrounding the car and therefore shooting each other. "we're being shot at" ---> "shoot back", since these are not soldiers

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    in the words of poet laureate Tracy Marrow

"what kind of cop killer are you?"

• Options
    Lee Beaumont of Leeds, England got sick of unsolicited calls to his home number, so he spent £10 registering a "premium rate" number that costs 7p/m to call, and started listing that as his home number in all of his commercial dealings. Once he'd set things up so that spammers made him money, he started to spread his number around, tweeting it in the clear and telling customer service reps to call him on it. The number paid for itself in two months, and, when the story drew press-attention last summer, the lengthy press-calls he received made him hundreds of pounds.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Steve Irwin was actually shot by a cop

the stingray was a coverup

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

the stingray was a coverup

if the stinger don't fit, you must acquit

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Nnnngh

Being awake is the worst thing after being asleep.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

the stingray was a cop

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Nnnngh

also after being awake

;-;

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Nnnngh

Wake 'n Bake.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I don't know if easy mode in Wizardry 6 fucks up the encounter rate or not. I need to get my grind on.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Also, being drunk and sweaty is the worst thing after being asleep.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Elldren wrote: »
    Nnnngh

also after being awake

;-;

Everything is the worst thing after everything else.

• Options
    Nnnngh

also after being awake

;-;

Except maybe mints after dinner and cuddling after sex.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    Nnnngh

also after being awake

;-;

Ok except none of the people talking have any of those things! As far as I am aware.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Oversight of policing is always problematic but it seems to me that the massive number of different forces and jurisdictions must make that harder. In MZ there is one police force, administered by parliament and one police complaints authority.

No guns either

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Nnnngh

Wake 'n Bake.

This is a good call

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    dky

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    phd041814s.gif

UgKddRM.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Nnnngh

also after being awake

;-;

Introduce the after sex mint

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    CASTRILLO MATAJUDÍOS, Spain — To outsiders, it might seem obvious that the time has come, or long passed, to change the name of a village that evokes one of the darkest chapters of Spain’s history.

But the mayor of Castrillo Matajudíos — roughly, Little Hill Fort of Jew Killers — is having a tough time persuading the 56 registered inhabitants of this sleepy village to vote on May 25 to adopt a different name and finally eradicate a link to the persecution of Jews during the Spanish Inquisition.

“We have been living just fine with this name for over 400 years, so why is there suddenly a need to change it?” asked Anastasio Alonso, a farmer.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Nnnngh

also after being awake

;-;

Introduce the after sex mint

I think that's been tried by people on nicotine withdrawal.

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    CASTRILLO MATAJUDÍOS, Spain — To outsiders, it might seem obvious that the time has come, or long passed, to change the name of a village that evokes one of the darkest chapters of Spain’s history.

But the mayor of Castrillo Matajudíos — roughly, Little Hill Fort of Jew Killers — is having a tough time persuading the 56 registered inhabitants of this sleepy village to vote on May 25 to adopt a different name and finally eradicate a link to the persecution of Jews during the Spanish Inquisition.

“We have been living just fine with this name for over 400 years, so why is there suddenly a need to change it?” asked Anastasio Alonso, a farmer.

I wouldn't change it.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hi nerds

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Seriously, what the fuck is going on here.
    MIAMI (CBSMiami) – On December 10, more than two dozen police officers from across Miami Dade County converged on a blue Volvo that had crashed in the backyard of a townhouse on 65th Street just off 27th Avenue.

As the car was wedged helplessly between a light pole and a tree, nearly a minute passed before officers opened up – firing approximately 50 bullets at the car and the two unarmed men inside the vehicle.

The two men inside the car survived that initial volley of gunfire, according to witnesses, who said they could see the men moving inside the Volvo. Everything went quiet for nearly two minutes before the officers opened up a second time – unleashing an unrelenting torrent of bullets that lasted almost 25 seconds. By the time it was over, the two men inside the car were dead.

[...]

No call is more harrowing for a police officer than a report of an officer being shot. By the time police determined the shooter was Montesano and broadcast a description of the Volvo, officers from a half dozen different departments flooded into the north side of the county.
    Many of the officers just seemed to be racing through the streets, according to one supervisor on the scene.

“I don’t know what’s going on here,” the supervisor declared over the radio. “There are units running threes everywhere.”

A Code 3 is when police cars are travelling with lights and sirens blaring. The supervisor finally ordered the patrol units to slow down unless they were actually chasing the car.

one officer panicked and started firing, so the others joined in

That fails to explain why there were two dozen of them on the scene

One unit finds them, emergency call goes out on the radio, and not being addressed to specific officers (because why would it?), every unit avilable nearby turns up pretty damn quickly. No senior officers on the ground and it all happens in five minutes so they don't ave the time to dismiss those they don't need (and given the situation they're retiscent to send away extra man power).

Like that isn't even slightly odd? I've seen plenty of occassions where an emergency call has gone out and the areas literally been flooded with enough officers that it's had to be sorted for a load to leave.

• Options
    Adventure Time is so good recently.

• Options
    This is a really weird description for a MOBA.
    Sins of a Dark Age is an action strategy game from the creators of Sins of a Solar Empire. Explore your inventory, equip your Hero and enter a dark world full of decisive team battles, tide-turning quests, treasured rewards, crafted goods, and strategic trades.

My inventory, I must explore it!

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Seriously, what the fuck is going on here.
    MIAMI (CBSMiami) – On December 10, more than two dozen police officers from across Miami Dade County converged on a blue Volvo that had crashed in the backyard of a townhouse on 65th Street just off 27th Avenue.

As the car was wedged helplessly between a light pole and a tree, nearly a minute passed before officers opened up – firing approximately 50 bullets at the car and the two unarmed men inside the vehicle.

The two men inside the car survived that initial volley of gunfire, according to witnesses, who said they could see the men moving inside the Volvo. Everything went quiet for nearly two minutes before the officers opened up a second time – unleashing an unrelenting torrent of bullets that lasted almost 25 seconds. By the time it was over, the two men inside the car were dead.

[...]

No call is more harrowing for a police officer than a report of an officer being shot. By the time police determined the shooter was Montesano and broadcast a description of the Volvo, officers from a half dozen different departments flooded into the north side of the county.
    Many of the officers just seemed to be racing through the streets, according to one supervisor on the scene.

“I don’t know what’s going on here,” the supervisor declared over the radio. “There are units running threes everywhere.”

A Code 3 is when police cars are travelling with lights and sirens blaring. The supervisor finally ordered the patrol units to slow down unless they were actually chasing the car.

one officer panicked and started firing, so the others joined in

That fails to explain why there were two dozen of them on the scene

Miami is a pretty big city.

The upstanding citizen they were looking for had earlier shot a cop in a drug store robbery and then stole his squad car. If this were GTA, that'd be 3 Stars right there

article-2521664-1A03904D00000578-644_634x353.jpg

• Options
    Haphazard wrote: »

I wouldn't change it.

Haphazard I want you to know

I resisted making a joke here

I think I gave myself an aneurysm in the effort though

• Options
    edited May 2014

I wouldn't change it.

See, I can hurt you through the internet!

But seriously, I think it's a bad idea to eradicate the links to your past, especially when they are bad ones. Make a memorial of it, a reminder that you should be weary, lest it will happen again.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Having something as a reminder starts getting annoying when you have to constantly refer to it for various reasons. "Oh, I live on assfuck lane" is probably not fun after the millionth time.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

I wouldn't change it.

See, I can hurt you through the internet!

But seriously, I think it's a bad idea to eradicate the links to your past, especially when they are bad ones. Make a memorial of it, a reminder that you should be weary, lest it will happen again.

800px-Flag_of_the_State_of_Georgia_%281956-2001%29.svg.png

This discussion has been closed.