As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That's fucking interesting man, that's fucking interesting! (nsf56k)

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    interesting fact i discovered while searching for that

there's a guy who paints scantily-clad anime girls onto foil magic: the gathering lands cards and seeks them on ebay for, like, forty bucks

(nsfw maybe? not really, but i guess a little)
    foil_plains37.jpg

anyway, what's that about

I'D LIKE TO TAP THAT!

AHAHHAHAH RIGHT?!

edit: probably my best totp ever.

Xaquin on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Painting anime girls onto MTG cards.

Is that what people mean by "synergy?"

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Oh shit guys we might wanna take up donations for pip because dogecoin got hacked

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So, firing nuclear waste into the Sun, rockets are too expensive and unreliable, right? What about encasing said waste in solid steel shells, and firing them out of a big railgun at the sun? That should feasibly be possible, right? Or am I completely delusional? Any engineers want to weigh in on this?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I see the custom mtg cards all the time in the adult part of ebay

I tell people about the adult part and why ebay has it and the interesting things they did a few years ago in crushing a few other adult auction sites
    and they want to see it but I don't know how without attempting to find the items

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    that foreboding architecture shit would just draw future humanity in droves

I mean, a lot of people probably would stay away

but come on

you come across some angband looking place and it is going to call to you

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    So, firing nuclear waste into the Sun, rockets are too expensive and unreliable, right? What about encasing said waste in solid steel shells, and firing them out of a big railgun at the sun? That should feasibly be possible, right? Or am I completely delusional? Any engineers want to weigh in on this?

It requires as much energy to reach the sun as it does to reach the outer planets, give or take.

Play kerbal and find out how hard it is to go to the sun compared to drifting on fumes to boop

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

It requires as much energy to reach the sun as it does to reach the outer planets, give or take.

All we gotta do is accelerate the "artillery shell" to Earth escape velocity for long enough that it breaks free of gravity, then it can drift toward the sun as slowly as it likes. So we'd have to develop and build a railgun that couls accelerate these things to 8 km/s?

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    it is absolutely definitely not enough to just have it escape earth; it may very well just enter into a solar orbit slightly smaller than the earth's.

l3icwZV.png
    angular momentum something something physics squiggly line squiggly line maths

• TefTef Registered User regular
    If kerbal has taught me anything, it's that you just need to add more rockets and possibly some struts

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    In fact, firing a payload from a railgun is probably the worst way to get something away from earth permanently. Why? From wiki's article on orbital mechanics:
    A small radial impulse given to a body in orbit changes the eccentricity, but not the orbital period (to first order). A prograde or retrograde impulse (i.e. an impulse applied along the orbital motion) changes both the eccentricity and the orbital period. Notably, a prograde impulse at periapsis raises the altitude at apoapsis, and vice versa, and a retrograde impulse does the opposite. A transverse impulse (out of the orbital plane) causes rotation of the orbital plane without changing the period or eccentricity. In all instances, a closed orbit will still intersect the perturbation point.

The bold part means that, if we only apply a force to the payload when it's on earth, its orbit is still going to intersect with the earth's. Ignoring the affects of stuff like the solar wind, there's a chance it might end up hitting the earth later on!

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
    All of those crappy little novellas that people write for the kindle market or whatever

amish-vampires.jpg

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    angular momentum something something physics squiggly line squiggly line maths

Pretty much. To think of it in an intuitive way: consider how fast the earth is moving around the sun. To make something fall into the sun, you pretty much have to apply enough force to counteract that entire velocity. Impulses to objects in orbit just end up in a new orbit.

Weaver wrote: »
    All of those crappy little novellas that people write for the kindle market or whatever

amish-vampires.jpg

So they just looked up words at random? and went with it?

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    the facility isn't due to be sealed and these markers installed until 2038
    No it won't. WIPP will never be completed in our lifetimes.
    WIPP is not scheduled to be sealed until the year 2038
    The plant is estimated to continue accepting waste for 25 to 35 years
    Following the interment of waste in the facility, the storage caverns will be collapsed and sealed with 13 layers of concrete and soil. Salt will then seep into and fill the various fissures and cracks surrounding the casks of waste. After approximately 75 years, the waste will be completely isolated from the environment.

Well it was on fire a few weeks ago so how about that

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    the cheat wrote: »
    cats are still totally useful. if you have a better way to completely shred upholstery, I'd love to hear it.

http://youtu.be/ibEdgQJEdTA

Amazed that this is not called the "Thing-Fucker".

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well it was on fire a few weeks ago so how about that

A salt hauling truck in the mine was on fire, and created a major smoke hazard. Not that that's not bad, they weren't maintained well enough because they are not part of the nuclear protocol.
    It happens too often that when part of the job is potentially very dangerous too little focus is on doing mundane stuff safely.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Considering that they're hauling salt, electrical shorts and corrosion would be pretty commonplace I reckon. Certainly they are in most Underground mining operations here in WA as the water table is incredibly salty

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    sarukun wrote: »
    cats are still totally useful. if you have a better way to completely shred upholstery, I'd love to hear it.

They make bigger versions too - so big you can just use a crane to drop whole cars in them.

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    that ominous landscape idea seems really bad,

like woah a load of man made structures what the hell do they mean let's find out

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    what they should do is build a sequence of increasingly beautiful and intriguing monuments leading away from the dump site

make it like a puzzle game

and by the time you get to the end you've learnt everything you need to know about atomic theory and radiation poisoning

FAQ wrote: »

like woah a load of man made structures what the hell do they mean let's find out

That theory has been put forwards as well - bury it as far underground as we can, and then do everything we can to make it look like we were never there. Putting all these markings and things all over the place will just incite curiosity.

I don't hold the theory that today's common languages will die out in much esteem though.

Things are completely different today than they were even half a millenium ago - the literacy rate is VASTLY improved, languages are much better studied, understood, and preserved. We also have the technology to make things that will still be legible in tens of thousands of years, whereas if someone wanted to do that 10,000 years ago they had to carve it into stone and then try to prevent erosion of the stone as best as possible.

sarukun wrote: »

They make bigger versions too - so big you can just use a crane to drop whole cars in them.

But they are one of those things we can make something better and very scary but it's not worth it

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »

That theory has been put forwards as well - bury it as far underground as we can, and then do everything we can to make it look like we were never there. Putting all these markings and things all over the place will just incite curiosity.

I don't hold the theory that today's common languages will die out in much esteem though.

Things are completely different today than they were even half a millenium ago - the literacy rate is VASTLY improved, languages are much better studied, understood, and preserved. We also have the technology to make things that will still be legible in tens of thousands of years, whereas if someone wanted to do that 10,000 years ago they had to carve it into stone and then try to prevent erosion of the stone as best as possible.

i'm sure they'll do language too, but ya gotta have a backup in case of civilization collapses, which y'know aint that unlikely unfortunately

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    For some reason I took to wondering one day what the deepest man-made hole in the world was.

Turns out its the Kola Superdeep Borehole on the Kola Peninsula, courtesy of the Soviet Union. It took them almost 20 years to drill 7.5 miles below the Earth's crust. Apparently they found all kinds of neat stuff, including microscopic fossils inside rocks that were more than two billion years old.

Drilling was stopped in the early 90's due to higher than expected temperatures and the project was completely abandoned in 2008.

They say that if you approach the borehole at night and listen carefully, you can hear the screams of the damned wafting up from hell.

Heheh. Just joshin' ya. I made that last part up!

Here's a picture:
    800px-%D0%A1%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%B0_%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%B6%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B0%28%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B0%29%2C_%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B3%D1%83%D1%81%D1%82_2012.JPG

Guess they don't want people droppin' pennies in there.

RT800 on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I was expecting something wider.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Hehehehehe

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Well, it amazes me that the Guiness book has a record for "longest time you're covered by bees". And that a man from China decided go break the record.

http://shanghaiist.com/2014/05/14/photos_chinese_man_breaks_world_rec.php

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »

but come on

It's like the percentage of the population that goes exploring spooky abandoned places because they like scaring the shit out of themselves.

I see humanity being wiped out before that instinct ever gets bred out of us.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    You can all rest easy tonight, the mystery pooper has been nabbed

http://www.wlns.com/story/25511749/police-umask-mystery-pooper-say-slides-clean-again

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Seriously wrote: »

but come on

It's like the percentage of the population that goes exploring spooky abandoned places because they like scaring the shit out of themselves.

I see humanity being wiped out before that instinct ever gets bred out of us.
    Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    the facility isn't due to be sealed and these markers installed until 2038
    No it won't. WIPP will never be completed in our lifetimes.
    WIPP is not scheduled to be sealed until the year 2038
    The plant is estimated to continue accepting waste for 25 to 35 years
    Following the interment of waste in the facility, the storage caverns will be collapsed and sealed with 13 layers of concrete and soil. Salt will then seep into and fill the various fissures and cracks surrounding the casks of waste. After approximately 75 years, the waste will be completely isolated from the environment.

Dude. I'm from New Mexico. WIPP has been a white elephant since the 1980s. It's never going to be completed no matter what bullshit the DOE spouts off about it because of endless technical complications and politics.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Last night I found out that hogan's heroes was actually a tv show from the 60's about prisoners in a nazi POW camp who are led by a soldier named Hogan in a series of hilarious escapades that constantly undermine the nazi army

I'd heard the name "hogan's heroes" before and assumed it was actually a show from the late 80s or early 90s starring one Hulk Hogan leading a group (probably of other wrestlers I guess?) on incredibly cheesy action adventures

I liked my Hogan's Heroes better, I couldn't really get into "nazi pow hijinks"

2x39jD4.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I'd heard the name "hogan's heroes" before and assumed it was actually a show from the late 80s or early 90s starring one Hulk Hogan leading a group (probably of other wrestlers I guess?) on incredibly cheesy action adventures

That was a 1980s cartoon called "Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling."
    03_RNWTOON_1985_0002.jpg

Crimsondude on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Last night I found out that hogan's heroes was actually a tv show from the 60's about prisoners in a nazi POW camp who are led by a soldier named Hogan in a series of hilarious escapades that constantly undermine the nazi army

I liked my Hogan's Heroes better, I couldn't really get into "nazi pow hijinks"

well, there was the Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wresting cartoon from the 80's, which is about as bad as it sounds.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    well that's what I get for finding an episode to link.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Hogan's Heroes was a pretty cool show; I only watched a couple of episodes when I was younger because they weren't really in heavy rotation in the UK, but I enjoyed them.

There were a lot of people directly affected by the war in the cast:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The actors who played the four major German roles—Werner Klemperer (Klink), John Banner (Schultz), Leon Askin (Burkhalter), and Howard Caine (Hochstetter)—were Jewish. Furthermore, Klemperer, Banner, Askin, and Robert Clary (LeBeau) were Jews who had fled the Nazis during World War II. Clary says in the recorded commentary on the DVD version of episode "Art for Hogan's Sake" that he spent three years in a concentration camp, that his parents and other family members were killed there, and that he has an identity tattoo from the camp on his arm ("A-5714"). Likewise John Banner had been held in a (pre-war) concentration camp and his family was killed during the war. Leon Askin was also in a pre-war French internment camp and his parents were killed at Treblinka. Howard Caine (Hochstetter), who was also Jewish (his birth name was Cohen), was American, and Jewish actors Harold Gould and Harold J. Stone played German generals; Jon Cedar played a camp guard.

As a teenager, Werner Klemperer (Klink) (son of the conductor Otto Klemperer) fled Hitler's Germany with his family in 1933. During the show's production, he insisted that Hogan always win over his Nazi captors or else he would not take the part of Klink. He defended his playing a Luftwaffe Officer by claiming, "I am an actor. If I can play Richard III, I can play a Nazi." Banner attempted to sum up the paradox of his role by saying, "Who can play Nazis better than us Jews?" Ironically, although Klemperer, Banner, Caine, Gould, and Askin play stereotypical World War II Germans, all had actually served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II — Banner and Askin in the U.S. Army Air Corps, Caine in the U.S. Navy, Gould with the U.S. Army, and Klemperer in a U.S. Army Entertainment Unit.

This discussion has been closed.